Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I was watching the coaches film of the Cornell-Princeton game this morning and am fully convinced now that Jeff Mathews is the number one senior quarterback heading into the season.

Mathews has an absolute cannon and his natural accuracy is through the roof. Certainly has to refine some things (doesn't drop back straight, doesn't make his first few steps in his drop big enough and isn't quick to set-up, tends to stand and throw with a narrow base), but the tools are all there. I watched him make multiple throws where I was just wowed by the combination of arm strength and accuracy. Dropping passes in the bucket with pressure in his face and/or placing it in spots where only his receiver could have a chance and you think would only be possible in a video game.

Jeff Mathews is for real. I was at the Cornell Pro Day and had NFL scouts coming up to me asking me which one in the room was Mathews (the entire Big Red team showed up). They can't talk to him right now, but they wanted to size him up and get a look at him. The NFL is obviously very intrigued by him.
Mathews is the guy I want to get more footage on. I was intrigued from what I've seen, but I need to see more to get a better idea of what he's got.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Mathews is the guy I want to get more footage on. I was intrigued from what I've seen, but I need to see more to get a better idea of what he's got.
Yea I gotta check this guy out. For an Ivy Leaguer to be getting this type of chatter/hype to be a high round draft pick at QB - he must be viewed as a pretty special talent.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 PM    (permalink
grushcow
Rookie

grushcow is a cocksman.grushcow is a cocksman.grushcow is a cocksman.grushcow is a cocksman.

Right now to me it's Teddy B, and it's not even close. And I like Manziel a lot, reminds me of a Tony Romo, good zip on his passes and just makes plays. Looking at the seniors I haven't watched everything yet but right now my top guy would be Murray, but still a lot of games to watch before I'm gonna put a list together. Tajh is a good prospect, sort of lacks some velocity on his intermediate routes which turns me off a bit.
grushcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
Bryn Renner is really being underrated, he could be the best prospect in the ACC.
He's kind of a poor man's Sam Bradford. Since Bradford hasnt done much of note in the league, I don't know what that means for Renner's stock.

I hope all the people who like Boyd actually watch him this year.
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not nearly enough lists in this thread.
My initial rank and grade.

1. Marcus Mariota** (1) - all about the upside
2. Teddy Bridgewater* (1) - Sam Bradfordesque
3. Tajh Boyd (1) - first rounder thanks to Russell Wilson
4. Jon Manziel** (1-2) - wildcard
5. Stephen Morris (2-3) - sleeper
6. Brett Hundley** (2-3)
7. David Fales (2-3)
8. Logan Thomas (3-4)
9. Devin Gardner (2-4)
10. Zach Mettenberger (5-6)
11. Braxton Miller* (5-6)

12. Jeff Matthews (4-5)
13. AJ. McCarron (6-7)
14. Aaron Murray (7-FA)
15. Bryn Renner (FA)
16. Derek Carr (7-FA)
17. James Franklin (6-7)
18. Jeff Driskel (7-FA)
19. Tyler Russell (FA)
20. Brandon Key (FA)
21. Jordan Lynch (6-7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*

Last edited by Brown Leader : 05-13-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holt_Bruce is the only one who has mentioned him, but if he declares, UCF QB Blake Bortles will be in the first round mix. 6'3 220 with 4.7ish speed and a decent arm. The only time most people have seen him is dominating Ball State in the Beef O'Brady's Bowl. UCF will have more televised games (including one against Bridgewater) so I expect him to be a fast riser after people actually hear about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Unless somebody has a fabulous last season, this crop may be worse than this year's.

No way man. This year was bad, and the GMs felt even worse about it than most of us did.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know people have hopped off the Logan Thomas train... Which is good because I fully expect to be its conductor.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:49 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
I know people have hopped off the Logan Thomas train... Which is good because I fully expect to be its conductor.
Be prepared to go off the tracks at any moment then.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
Be prepared to go off the tracks at any moment then.
That could easily be the case but I am not band wagoner and I have been saying for the last two years that he has the potential to be the #1 pick if he can put it all together.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
That could easily be the case but I am not band wagoner and I have been saying for the last two years that he has the potential to be the #1 pick if he can put it all together.
What, if anything, did he do in 2012 to suggest he should be drafted, much less the #1 pick?
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
What, if anything, did he do in 2012 to suggest he should be drafted, much less the #1 pick?
Very little... which is why everyone else hopped off the band wagon.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just watched Matthews vs. Yale.

I don't see it. Sloppy mechanics. Hops in the pocket. Slow feet. Statue. Doesn't have anywhere near pro athleticism. He's smart though. Accurate at that level.

But this is a guy who had 18 TDs to 11 picks last year in the Ivy league on 62%...

I get that we're looking for the next Flacco but he doesn't strike me as anywhere near as gifted as Flacco.

Matthews looks like a poor man's Mallett - and he's not playing against SEC defenses.

Maybe I saw a bad tape? I don't know.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post

I don't see it. Sloppy mechanics. Hops in the pocket. Slow feet. Statue. Doesn't have anywhere near pro athleticism. He's smart though. Accurate at that level.

But this is a guy who had 18 TDs to 11 picks last year in the Ivy league on 62%...

I get that we're looking for the next Flacco but he doesn't strike me as anywhere near as gifted as Flacco.

Matthews looks like a poor man's Mallett - and he's not playing against SEC defenses.

He's a QB, he doesn't need "pro athleticism", whatever that is. Does Tom Brady have "pro athleticism"?

He reminds me a lot of Sam Bradford, which can either be good or bad.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Flacco's TD-INT during his Junior season: 18-10

Are you even watching him throw the ball? You only talk about his athleticism, which no, isn't a strength, but is on the same level as a Sam Bradford or Joe Flacco, and stats. His arm strength, accuracy, and ball placement are simply incredible. Simply put, I haven't seen any other quarterback in this class make the throws Mathews makes. I watched the same Yale game (except the coaches tape) and I thought he looked great. Looked amazing against Princeton.

Also, it's Mathews...
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes. I'm watching him throw the ball. lol. We'll see. His mechanics aren't great and I don't see much pocket presence. That's vital. I'm sure he's got a gun even though I didn't see the tightest spirals in the world (I liked his touch though). I guess I need to watch the Princeton tape.

Flacco was also a big-time recruit of Wandstedt and had a huge Senior year...
Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The kid looks good throwing the football. Prototypical pocket style passer that makes all the throws, and makes 'em look easy. Athleticism or lack thereof isn't really a big deal. I'll take unathletic pocket style passers anyday over athletic beasts that can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Then you look at the fact that he's been sacked 105 times in 3 years. Seriously? There's something wrong there.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHL6719 View Post
The kid looks good throwing the football. Prototypical pocket style passer that makes all the throws, and makes 'em look easy. Athleticism or lack thereof isn't really a big deal. I'll take unathletic pocket style passers anyday over athletic beasts that can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Then you look at the fact that he's been sacked 105 times in 3 years. Seriously? There's something wrong there.
There's a pre-req athleticism you need... not talking speed but having the quick-twitch muscles to move within the pocket - it's absolutely important. It's footwork - his is not great on the one tape. Correctable, sure.

In the tape I saw he got chased down and brought down by some tiny "DE." If he has shaky mobility in the pocket and looks at a disadvantage athletically against freaking Yale, I don't know what he'd look like against the best athletes in the world draped all over him.

You're right, athleticism isn't as important as accuracy or anticipation, but being able to move in the pocket is essential and if a guy struggles with that in college it's a legitimate prospect criticism.

Maybe I should watch another tape.

But Flacco went 25/5 in his Senior year. So yes, Flacco's JUNIOR year was on par with this kid's. But this kid didn't take a huge leap yet like Flacco did. Maybe he will.

He looks like Mallett a little - I do see his arm and touch in that Yale game.

But again, it's Yale. Lol. Send me some more tape..
Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes. I'm watching him throw the ball. lol. We'll see. His mechanics aren't great and I don't see much pocket presence. That's vital. I'm sure he's got a gun even though I didn't see the tightest spirals in the world (I liked his touch though). I guess I need to watch the Princeton tape.

Flacco was also a big-time recruit of Wandstedt and had a huge Senior year...
Are you just talking out of your a$s now? Flacco was a 3-star recruit and barely top 50 at his position. That's your definition of big time? Guy didn't even beat out Tyler Palko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHL6719 View Post

The offensive line isn't good, and the running game doesn't help. Even Tretter, the only capable one on the line, got blown up at times.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Mathews also had 25 TD's to 11 INT's with a 67.9% as a sophomore. So to say he hasn't had a big season before just isn't true
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Are you just talking out of your a$s now? Flacco was a 3-star recruit and barely top 50 at his position. That's your definition of big time? Guy didn't even beat out Tyler Palko.

So what does that mean now? The NFL coach wanted him in his program, exactly what happened is irrelevant after he came through and ended up 17th overall...

I was at the Pitt Spring game that year actually.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to a guy who just won a Super Bowl, went 17th overall, and had a great sr. year - just because the two have similar jr. stats.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Quote:
So what does that mean now? The NFL coach wanted him in his program, exactly what happened is irrelevant after he came through and ended up 17th overall...

I was at the Pitt Spring game that year actually.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to a guy who just won a Super Bowl, went 17th overall, and had a great sr. year - just because the two have similar jr. stats.
Do you have selective reading?

For one, I never even compared his game to Flacco. You were trying to bash the guy for his stats (box score scouting is the way to go) and I was simply pointing out that's a blind way to go about things.

And again, I was pointing out Flacco didn't beat out Palko because you tried to call him a big time recruit. Oh my, a former NFL coach wanted him in his program?! He must be a Hall of Famer then!!! I guess Matt Barkley is a lock for rookie of the year because Pete Carroll brought him in, right?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I looked at his box score after I watched the Yale cutup and I was expecting a guy from Cornell who you all were talking about having first-round talent to have monster numbers. I don't think that's unreasonable at all...

Getting real chippy. Like I said, we'll see. It's not so much box score scouting as a fact that if he doesn't perform at a level that will net him better stats than that in a lower conference, he's not going to be anywhere near the top of this sr. class draft-wise. I think that's pretty obvious.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Quote:
I looked at his box score after I watched the Yale cutup and I was expecting a guy from Cornell who you all were talking about having first-round talent to have monster numbers. I don't think that's unreasonable at all...

Getting real chippy. Like I said, we'll see. It's not so much box score scouting as a fact that if he doesn't perform at a level that will net him better stats than that in a lower conference, he's not going to be anywhere near the top of this sr. class draft-wise. I think that's pretty obvious.
It's obvious you're basing things off stats. Everybody, golf clap.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:43 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I don't know why you're taking it so personal. I'm basing my rough eval of one game on my eval of that game.

And then I commented on his stats.

I've consistently said maybe I watched the wrong tape... shrug. I think you made a good point about his So. year. I think it's fair to have reservations about the guy, though, all things considered.