Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
What kind of defense did Spagnuolo run with you guys? I know you guys love him and I just saw the Ravens signed him as a defensive assistant. It will be interesting to see how his style fits in with Pees and the Ravens talent
It depends on what his role with you guys is. He ran a 43 here, which mirrored the aggressive style of the late Jim Johnson's system.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see thank you. So it's an aggressive 43 that likes to send the slb a lot right?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:40 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What kind of defense did Spagnuolo run with you guys? I know you guys love him and I just saw the Ravens signed him as a defensive assistant. It will be interesting to see how his style fits in with Pees and the Ravens talent
Lots of fire zone. He's a zone blitz guy. He likes playing press on the outside and most of his blitzes are zone blitz.

I'd imagine his role with your team will be drawing up blitz packages.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I see thank you. So it's an aggressive 43 that likes to send the slb a lot right?
He likes blitzing the A gap. His SAM was a Joker DE/LB hyrid. But with your 3-4, I think he'll adjust his blitz packages to the fronts you guys run.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It depends. I wouldn't generalize. In fact, for Spags, we blitzes A gap big time with either OLB and then the Mike. We blitzed the safety a lot, and slot CB, who was Aaron Ross, his rookie year. Add stunts and fire zones, and we had an aggressive defense which was my favorite.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
He likes blitzing the A gap. His SAM was a Joker DE/LB hyrid. But with your 3-4, I think he'll adjust his blitz packages to the fronts you guys run.
Thank you, does he have the SAM cover a lot? I am interested in seeing how he effects the defense.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Thank you, does he have the SAM cover a lot? I am interested in seeing how he effects the defense.
Honestly, I don't remember. I want to say he either rushed or dropped into a zone, or covered the flat. But I can't say for sure, it's been awhile since we ran that scheme.

I wouldn't put too much weight into the Spags hire. He's not gonna change your defense. The defense is still gonna be Peas' defense. Maybe Spags will draw up some blitz packages but that's about it. He's just there to consult, perhaps help teach the DBs and linebackers individual techniques, but you won't see a major change to your defensive philosophy bc he's on the staff.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

So we're looking at Aaron Curry? That desperate huh?

Arthur Brown was staring us in the face, but we decided a fat body 2 down run stuffing NT who will play about 35% of our snaps was more valuable.

So yay for Aaron Curry.

I must say, this was probably my least favorite Jerry Reese draft. I'm not feeling great about it.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh. Pugh will be a long term starter for us, a rich man's Diehl, and we'll turn Moore into a quality pass rusher. If Nassib develops and gets traded for a quality pick and Hank helps our DL from getting worn out in the run game, that's a strong draft.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I think we have guys who can contribute for a long time, with Moore potentially being the 1 guy who has high level potential, but I see solid starters, nothing more.

Guys who are solid, but we'll always say to ourselves, it would be nice if we could upgrade that guy.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Pugh will also be excellent, especially whenever he moves to LG, Diehl was an all pro caliber guard and I see Pugh having that potential if our OL rebuild goes smoothly.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Diehl was very good in his prime but he wasn't a Pro Bowl caliber Guard. A good one yes, but not Pro Bowl caliber. Pugh is that kind of guy. And for the record, I liked the Pugh pick. He was on my list of guys. Wasn't my first or 2nd guy on the list, but on the list nonetheless.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:28 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i had a dream I was working out with the giants and their DL.

Moore was awesome but Kiwi looked at me and said "shame he's gonna get arrested, he'll kill it on the field but be in trouble"

Tuck was fat.

We did drills and while running sprints, Hankins was too tired and jumped on my back and I had to carry him but couldn't, so I fell down.

it was a weird dream. I hope it doesn't come remotely true.

Unless the giants sign me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I can so see that.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

to be fair, Kiwi was KILLING the drills.

No recollection of JPP though.

I was bff's with Hankins though. He was trying hard, just fat. So maybe aggravation early on and then he gets really good after a year of adjusting.

and then i'm a prophet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

you can win SBs with solid starters. I'll take that . Lbs aren't important in the NFL as they were years back. Specifically, for us we don't value it. Our fat guys up front if they play well will make our LBs that much better.

So I think establishing the trenches was an important strategic move.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I just hate that we took a 2 down NT in round 2. Round 3? Fine. Not in round 2.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
As Giants fans, we need to accept we will go BPA. I watched all the giants.com draft videos and they stress this. I watch all the post draft videos and they say BPA.

We have to realize we will stick to the integrity of our draft board, right or wrong. We may hit on a pick or swing and miss but one thing is for sure is we will stick to our board.

This draft's strength was the trenches and so it comes to no surprise for me that we went trench players. We took a load of a DT to work along side LinJo. We also brought in guys at DT too. Our goal is to stop the run and be physical first and foremost.

So I am not surprised. We aren't afraid to go DT. We showed this with LinJo and Austin.

Only surprise was Nassib, and even then, we tried with QBs prior but missed. We drafted Woodson out of Kentucky, and Rhett Bomar in the 5th round. The issue becomes this. You won't spend a 1st or 2nd on a QB, and when you get later round guys they won't stick. So we went value, and from the various interviews we saw amazing value there.

That was the biggest surprise. The other stuff comes to know surprise. We will always stick to the integrity of our board. We could have drafted Spoon at LB, and we drafted JPP. He was ranked higher.

So as Giants fan, we should accept this is how our FO does business, good or bad, you agree or disagree. This is what we do.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

And that's fine, I have no problem with BPA.

I just personally do not believe either our 1st or 2nd round picks were BPA based on what I knew. I could be wrong obviously bc I'm not studying players the way they did, so I'm probably wrong.

But I thought we left superior talent on the board in both rounds. Didn't mind Pugh bc he was a guy I rated high, but overall I thought we left better players on the board in rounds 1 and 2.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
And that's fine, I have no problem with BPA.

I just personally do not believe either our 1st or 2nd round picks were BPA based on what I knew. I could be wrong obviously bc I'm not studying players the way they did, so I'm probably wrong.

But I thought we left superior talent on the board in both rounds. Didn't mind Pugh bc he was a guy I rated high, but overall I thought we left better players on the board in rounds 1 and 2.
Well that's fair to say. Either you believe them or you don't. That's a fair opinion or view, however, they are consistent. I mean I never heard them say anything else and their actions haven't dictated otherwise. It's not like they did what the Cowboys did where the player was ranked a 3rd round grade and drafted him. Nearly everyone had a 1st round grade.

Now for the other positions, I trust them from the standpoint that they have consistently said the same thing in interviews on giants.com, newspapers, or NFL network. Their consistent in their stories. So I chose to believe them because they haven't flip flopped. That's their story and they stick to it. Who knows? Maybe it's a well coordinated front. If that's true, then kudos in everyone saying the same thing year in and year out without fail.

That's the thing you could be right, but it's one of those things fans can't prove. The sure fire way is to ask them to show us their board for confirmation. That's not happening.

I have to believe in the process. They won't send scouts away from their families and run 30K miles on their cars only to create a big board and then deviate away from it. LOL. That would be brutal! If I was in that spot, I would be very mad. Here I am away from my family, busting my butt, traveling place to place. When it's time to create the board we do that, and in the end we don't follow it. I mean come on! I'd be fuming!!

So perhaps I do trust them in this regard. I don't think we are some bottom dwelling franchise that does stuff out of emotion. So I trust them in their grades. Now that is different from me saying their always right. They do miss on their prospects, but I trust their dedication to keeping the integrity of the board at a high level.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
i had a dream I was working out with the giants and their DL.

Moore was awesome but Kiwi looked at me and said "shame he's gonna get arrested, he'll kill it on the field but be in trouble"

Tuck was fat.

We did drills and while running sprints, Hankins was too tired and jumped on my back and I had to carry him but couldn't, so I fell down.

it was a weird dream. I hope it doesn't come remotely true.

Unless the giants sign me.
I'm guessing you left out all the sexual fantasies that occurred in this dream.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am not a fan of this pick, but I don't think it is that bad, there are two things I take out of this:

firstly the front office really like this kid and believe he can develop

secondly Hankins fits what we want to do defensively. The fact he is a 2 down isn't likely an issue.

What I think we will see is a 'big' package with a pair of 2 Gap DTs, Kiwi at SLB in the Joker role. As well as Hankins, Rogers, Patterson and Kuhn also fit this mould. But with the bigger bodies up front, we can use more athletic LBs like Rivers, Conner, Williams, Paysinger etc

Then in passing packages perhaps not unlike our Nascar packages, but perhaps instead of two DEs inside we use Jenkins or Austin, plus Kiwi. And an extra DB instead of the third LB

This means that we don't have as many packages where we use three traditional LBs. It also explains why we haven't prioritied LB as much as other teams.

Of course there would be variations between them all, but this is the kind of think I am expecting to see.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I understand being upset about missing Brown (not that you should've expected a LB anyway from Reese), but Hankins will be a fine pro. With a prospect that clean, positional value doesn't really matter in the 2nd round - you know what you're getting (about 90% sure with a kid like that). Most other prospects, yes at more important positions are way more risky. It's kinda like the Travis Frederick pick... or even the Pugh pick actually.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am just wondering with this big package theory (evidenced by the big pluggers we have brought in and the rumours of flipping Tuck and JPP could mean there are some different looks we are looking to add to our toolbox?

Could we be looking at adding something like what Seattle uses (which originated from Kiffin's tampa 2) in some scenarios?

It could be possible I guess. Tuck (or Jenkins) could play the 5 tech RDE (like Bryant did with Seattle)
With Joseph, Hankins, Rogers, Kuhn we have the big guys inside

Kiwanuka at SLB could likely play the same kind of role that KJ Wright does for Seattle.

JPP in the Leo role is downright scary and a match up nightmare.

The LBs we have like Rivers, Connor, Williams, Paysinger are the athletic flow to the ball style of LBs such as what guys like Wagner, Hill, Hawthorne etc.

It seems like a long shot at first glance, but both our front seven positional coaches (Nunn and Hermann) have experience in 3-4 schemes.

We all know the front seven under performed, I do get the impression that there is a very definate plan to resolve this.

The positions we have addressed, the kind of players we have brought in and which positions we haven't addressed is interesting.

I know we have consulted with college teams on how to defend the read option, perhaps something like this could be in the mix?

Seattle doesn't blitz a lot, which suits Fewell.

We already use our SLB on the right side, so if we switch JPP and Tuck, then moving to Seattle style of scheme is very easy, basically it is just subtle gap/alignment.

more info on Seattle's system is available here http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/5/7/2...lity-diversity
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I think you're reading into it too much. Hankins is insurance for Joseph bc we probably can't afford to re-sign Joseph, plus in the interim he provides us with 2 bulky NTs up front.

Fewell wants both of his DTs to 2 gap, he does not like penetration from his DTs. So we might see him emphasize this point by playing Hankins and Joseph at DT to combat the run and the read option.

That's all there is to it. Vs teams that spread you out and pass we won't see the heavy formation much. Vs read option teams and teams who want to run it we'll see the heavy formation. That's all there is to it.

Think of Coughlin's Jaguars defenses with Henderson and Stroud in the middle. That's what we're gonna see.