Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-27-2013, 01:40 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd imagine Winters and Colon are going to start at guard.

To me, this looks like it's going to be a BPA team going forward. Aboushi probably is a backup swing tackle this year which they don't have (imagine how many problems there would be if Brick went down). Provides a safety net in negotiations with Howard after this season if he develops. And if he happens to be a guard maybe he starts at LG in 2014 with Winters starting at RG. I don't love the pick, but there are definite reasons they would have done it. And the OL is a lot less thin right now than it was heading into the weekend.

I'd love Da'Rick or Wilson, but don't know if they go in either of those directions. Wouldn't be surprised if they drafted Josh Evans, Ryan Otten, Mark Harrison, or the guy Mayock just mentioned Armonty Bryant in the 6th or 7th round. Another guy I don't think they'll take but who makes sense to roll the dice on is Michael Buchanan. I don't think Chris Gragg fits either but as far as TE's go, he can play.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:43 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I forgot about Winters.

Hm.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty sure if Brick went down they'd have been starting Dennis Landolt at LT prior to drafting Aboushi. Not something we talked much about, but their tackle depth had been pretty poor for a while and they were lucky not to have suffered any injuries there the last couple years. To me that's what this was about. The guard depth with Colon-Winters-Peterson-Ducasse-Schlauderaff isn't too bad and one of those guys is probably going to get cut, but tackle not so much. Obviously a potential starter would've been more fun, but if there was an injury there we all would've been wondering why they had no depth at tackle.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:49 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Character issues on Wilson are overblown to me. Leach has a reputation for being an abusive coach, takes brass ones to stand up for yourself and your teammates if you feel he's inappropriately treating everyone particularly with his NFL future on the line. I don't really have a huge problem with what he did from at least the context it seems like he was doing it.

I still think the Jets' weapons are underrated because Mark Sanchez is awful. The Holmes injury hurt them a lot. Provided Holmes comes back healthy they're probably one WR short, but Kerley is a quality slot guy. If Hill develops, they're fine there. Their running game should be better with the two guys they added. Do they have world beaters offensively? No, but with a competent quarterback they're probably at or a little bit below league average. And the line should be solid.

Nice to hear. I definitely like his playing style, the 4th is just a pretty high selection. Two major concerns are a) he was able to get in a little more space with the Saints than he'll be able to in New York since people obviously respected the Saints' passing game more than they'll respect the Jets' and b) his running style which I definitely like can lead to injury since he's definitely had issues getting dinged up. Hopefully he ends up being a stud and it's a win-win since the Saints have so much at RB anyway.
I agree with you on all counts. Standing up to an abusive coach seems like positive character to me not a character concern. I suppose for an NFL coach (97% of which must be assholes) you don't want a guy that won't blindly follow a coach's authority.

As for the weapons, I tend to agree to an extent now that there seems to b a running game developing. Depending upon Hill's ability to step up, we have a chance of a decent stable of wrs if Holmes is healthy and feels like trying. Not really much tight end depth to speak of, unless that Rugby beast dude (Hayden Smith) gets a shot and acts like a Rugby beast.

IF Geno Smith looks good at all, he must start. You have to see what he can do and decide if he is worth anything or if John Idzick, in Job Bluth fashion, admits that he made a huge mistake and we don't have any future with the qbs on the roster, except for Tebow of course.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:17 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I agree with you on all counts. Standing up to an abusive coach seems like positive character to me not a character concern. I suppose for an NFL coach (97% of which must be assholes) you don't want a guy that won't blindly follow a coach's authority.

As for the weapons, I tend to agree to an extent now that there seems to b a running game developing. Depending upon Hill's ability to step up, we have a chance of a decent stable of wrs if Holmes is healthy and feels like trying. Not really much tight end depth to speak of, unless that Rugby beast dude (Hayden Smith) gets a shot and acts like a Rugby beast.

IF Geno Smith looks good at all, he must start. You have to see what he can do and decide if he is worth anything or if John Idzick, in Job Bluth fashion, admits that he made a huge mistake and we don't have any future with the qbs on the roster, except for Tebow of course.
Yeah they definitely need more offensively in terms of the skill positions. Tight end is definitely a weakness as you indicated, and I would've been interested in bringing in a potential #2 wideout to take pressure off of Hill this season. I have a feeling they've got hopes for Hayden Smith actually, supposedly he was impossible to cover last year as a practice squad guy. I don't really favor that kind of approach, but it did work last year with Austin Howard. They probably like Bush and maybe even Ricky Sapp too, given they just drafted another offensive lineman.

Not sure how I feel about all of this offensive line stuff. I thought their depth was alright. Obviously there's going to be some moving pieces next offseason, but another guard in round 6 seems excessive with all of the more immediate needs on the team. I get the long-term vision there (that LG spot will be open after the season when Colon is done, offensive line going to be seeing a lot of changes after this season), but taking a defensive tackle to convert to guard in early round 6 just seems to be a bit much. I know it's the 6th round, but this is more of a UDFA move. They'd better be reasonably confident that works out.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope they resign Braylon now
Old 04-27-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Was thinking the same thing. Still holding out hope for one of the talented wideouts with character concerns in the 7th. Wouldn't mind a high upside pass rusher either.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:33 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Was thinking the same thing. Still holding out hope for one of the talented wideouts with character concerns in the 7th. Wouldn't mind a high upside pass rusher either.
The talented wideout with character concerns signed with the Bills (Da'Rick Rogers). They loaded up on WR (Woods/Goodwin).

Signings I've seen so far:

Zach Rogers - WR - Tenn - Mayock labeled Zack the top sleeper WR in this years draft. Could be some upside.

Mike Shanahan - TE - Pitt - WR converted into TE

Rontez Miles - FS - CAL(PA) - Two-time First-team FCS All American
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah I was hoping for him or Wilson in the 7th but obviously they had different ideas. Bohanan sounds like a tough dude so hopefully he can make an impact, the roster spot for the FB could be wide open.

A few other interesting signings are:

Mike Edwards, CB, Hawaii - Some off the field concerns but returns punts and supposedly talented. Could easily see him making the roster as one of the last corners if he makes an impact on specials.

Chris Pantale, TE, BC - Solid all around TE but not exceptional in any area. Obviously a really weak spot on the roster for the Jets.

Ryan Spadola, WR, Lehigh - Obviously tough coming from a smaller school but was super productive at Lehigh and ran well (in the 4.4's) at the combine.

Dalton Freeman, C, Clemson - Probably could have gotten drafted late and no one would have batted an eye. Jets have nothing behind Mangold.

Lots of those roster spots are pretty weak. Of all of them CB is probably the deepest, but there's definitely room for a third TE, a backup C, a fourth S, and frankly a couple WR's on the back of the roster if they play their way into it. Definitely lots of opportunities for UDFA's here.

Hopefully they're able to get a lot of comp picks for next year because this roster is still very, very thin.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Things weren't going to change with one draft. We had far too many holes to fill and it's better that we just focus on BPA as long as the media and fans and Woody will be patient. That's the only way we're going to get some depth that we've sorely been missing.

I like our draft. Honestly, we might have 4-5 starters out of it, and realistically everyone could stick with the team. Not a single one of the picks seemed like a throwaway one. Even Bohanon could end up as either a blocking TE or an extra blocker in a pistol set. As for Aboushi, at that point, he was a steal IMO. I thought he might be in contention for the top G/T outside of the first rounders. And, if you think Coples is a good player, you should also probably consider him to have the potential to be one, since he dominated Coples in their match-up in college (and they did quite a bit of trash-talking to one another).

Definitely would've liked us to get some skill position players. This class was so deep that that seemed like a definite missed opportunity. But with the Ivory trade, we really have a stacked set of RBs, so that wasn't necessary. If we were going to get a TE, it would've been nice to get a game changer, and there was probably only two or three of those guys potentially in the draft.

I think one might hurt the most though is that NE/BUF/MIA got a lot of speed at their skill positions in the draft. Every single one of them. Just dealing with that is going to be a pretty big issue.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What in the world are they doing? Only 7 draft picks and they use 3 on offensive line when D'Brickashaw and Mangold are locked in, and they should extend Austin Howard if he has another decent year. Makes absolutely no sense to me when we're going to roll out with Josh Bush starting at FS, Jeff Cumberland at TE, and Calvin Pace at OLB.

These guys better pan out or I am really not liking Idzik much more than Tannebaum. At least he didn't trade up or take Geno in the 1st round, so there's that. Sigh.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Given what we know now in terms of who went where, what would your ideal draft have been?

Note that you will also have the foresight to know who will be available at your next selection, so it won't be lanky thing close to apples to apples, but I'm interested nonetheless.

We got secondary help. Pass rush help. Offensive line help. And QB help. Yes, I agree we didn't get any pass catching help, so hopefully Hill improves, Cumberland grows, Holmes is healthy, and Kerley continues to grow. Lead with the run and WCO system. FS is an unproven hole, but this is an opportunity for our young picks from last year to show something. He got limited reps last year. Lets see what Bush can bring.

I think you are over-reacting a fair bit.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
Given what we know now in terms of who went where, what would your ideal draft have been?

Note that you will also have the foresight to know who will be available at your next selection, so it won't be lanky thing close to apples to apples, but I'm interested nonetheless.

We got secondary help. Pass rush help. Offensive line help. And QB help. Yes, I agree we didn't get any pass catching help, so hopefully Hill improves, Cumberland grows, Holmes is healthy, and Kerley continues to grow. Lead with the run and WCO system. FS is an unproven hole, but this is an opportunity for our young picks from last year to show something. He got limited reps last year. Lets see what Bush can bring.

I think you are over-reacting a fair bit.
Why sign Colon and Peterman then? It just makes no sense to me. Our offensive line and defensive line are one of the few spots I'd say we were fine at, and we used most of our picks on them. Unless Milliner is going to play FS, I'm really not a fan of this draft at all. We STILL ignored edge rusher in the draft, how many years is it going to be until we finally get one? And its not like there weren't any good value ones to be had. We could have taken Jarvis in the 1st, Collins or Sio Moore in the 2nd, Damontre or Lemonier or Montgomery in the 3rd, etc etc. I just don't understand how edge rush isn't a top priority but interior line is. Mind boggling.

And to answer your question loosely about who I would have taken, I would have traded back in the 1st, at both spots. Period. If BPA isn't a need and you have HUGE depth issues, trade the F back and take BPA at the next spot and accumulate more picks. I was really pissed off we didn't trade back from 9 at least. 13 I would've taken Vaccaro or Star.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You need people to want to trade up though, and that is an unknown. Who would they be trading up for that would be worth it for? I wanted a trade down too, but I have to assume there wasn't anything on the table. I would think at 13 there would have been for Star or Richardson, but maybe not. Being angry there wasn't a trade is tough IMO because it isn't something you can fully control. Can only control your selections.

My thought on how I thought things were going to go at the picks;

1st round - 9th - Warmack - address the G gap which was a need. Helps run game and the offense overall. Should be high floor pick. No pass rusher worth this spot.

1st round - 13 - Eifert - potentially a little reach, but a position of need. Provides a safety net and redzone threat. Helps both current or future QB.

2nd round - Geno Smith - I am comfortable with him here. QB is a need no matter how u spin it. I would love a higher rated player, such as in next years draft, but nothing is ever gauranteed. I think it is solid value and the team needs new hope. The first two picks provide support on offense.

3rd round - Keenan Allen - big fall, but would provide a reliable option in the pass game. I would welcome the risk and think he could help contribute if Hill isn't ready.

4th round - at this point I would be okay with Ivory/Franklin or Barrett Jones. Without one of those RB our backfield is weak. Jones would provide a quality player with position flex for our line.

5th round - Quanterus Smith - bring in that pass rusher that we need.

6th round - Rambo - bring in another late round Safety to compete. Similar fill as Bush last season, so improvement is TBD

7th round - Poyer or Buchanen - some value games to try and fill on D.

This draft would overhaul the offense. Too much youth perhaps, but could have helped build a foundation to grow. On D we still miss a sure pass rusher, but outside of in the 2nd I'm unsure there are any steals to be had. Rambo over Washington perhaps. I don't like our QB situation, so Geno trumped Collins or someone.

As you can see my board would be different than how we went. Shocked Geno was my overlap, because I'm not sold on him at all, however that is how it played out. Could be worse than our real draft, as Milliner and Richardaon I think are both solid players, and Winters a future starter, but that's how I would have envisioned things...

Quote:
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Last edited by The Great Jonathan Vilma : 04-29-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'll end up throwing out a summary of what I would have done at some point as well as thoughts on what they did, but will wait a bit on that.

In the meantime, I did think it was interesting that the Jets (as far as I can tell) showed fairly obvious interest in 5 of the 7 guys they drafted. They had private workouts with Milliner, Smith, Aboushi, and Campbell. Plus they were noted to have attended the pro day workouts of Richardson and Smith.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 PM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why are we complaining about drafting 3 offensive linemen?

Not every pick pans out, look at Ducasse. Competition and options on your offensive line is extremely important. DEPTH on your line is extremely important. Our line was an ABSOLUTE mess last year, we need to shore that up before we focus on anything else.

Colon is old, and a stopgap. He will help mentor the young guys, but won't be around for more than a year or two. I am extremely happy with the draft.

Also: Geno better not be starting week one. He's not ready. Unless he just comes into camp and lights it up, I want Garrard to start. Give Geno time to practice, fully digest the playbook, practice with the team, get into a system. Maybe week 12 or so when our season is officially over, so there is no pressure and Geno is accustomed to the league a bit, get him out there. But he needs some time to learn.
AHungryWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHungryWalrus View Post

Not every pick pans out, look at Ducasse. Competition and options on your offensive line is extremely important. DEPTH on your line is extremely important. Our line was an ABSOLUTE mess last year, we need to shore that up before we focus on anything else.

Colon is old, and a stopgap. He will help mentor the young guys, but won't be around for more than a year or two. I am extremely happy with the draft.

Also: Geno better not be starting week one. He's not ready. Unless he just comes into camp and lights it up, I want Garrard to start. Give Geno time to practice, fully digest the playbook, practice with the team, get into a system. Maybe week 12 or so when our season is officially over, so there is no pressure and Geno is accustomed to the league a bit, get him out there. But he needs some time to learn.

Couldnt agree more with both subjects. Very happy with the draft weather geni starts this year or next we need protection going o-line is never a bad thing. We can address skill positions next year. And i hope geno can sit and learn for at least the first half of the season. I'd prefer he sit the whole year though im fine with garrard this year as a bridge
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHungryWalrus View Post
If this was referring to any of my posts, then I may have come off not the way I want. I'm all about building in the trenches. I like the fact that we decided to get some depth and competition there. How thin we have been is frightening, but thankfully we were able to make it through without major injuries. Winters will be very valuable to us. Hopefully Campbell or Aboushi can turn into solid pros as well. Peterson and Colon, while valuable additions, are long-term solutions, so i'm glad we are planning ahead. Meat is the foundation of a team.

With that said, I will be watching how we use Richardson, and how Eifert develops, because part of me feels that we could have used him for the development and support of whoever our current and future QB is going to be.

Quote:
Old 05-04-2013, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After sleeping on it for a week, I have come to like our draft. It wasn't as sexy as we thought it might be (no pass rusher, no WR) but continuing to solidify the trenches is a smart move. And while I'm not high on Geno, drafting a possible franchise QB in the 2nd is a no-brainer.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Hurricanes25 : 05-04-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:40 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
After sleeping on it for a week, I have come to like our draft. It wasn't as sexy as we thought it might be (no pass rusher, no WR) but continuing to solidify the trenches is a smart move. And while I'm not high on Geno, drafting a possible franchise QB in the 2nd is a no-brainer.

I echo your thoughts Hurricane, solidifying the lines is a great start to a rebuild. Although I don't really get the Campbell pick. Would have rather had the Jets take a chance on a skill player there.

With Geno, tons of negative publicity going around about his attitude and character. Anyone else worried about this, or do you think it's just typical NY media poking at the Jets like they usually do?
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:28 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it could be true, because there seems to be a lot more of it than the usual smoke blowing. But as is the case with any human, seeing your flaws laid out before you can make you work even harder. Honestly though, if he is the guy people say, he is the worst guy you could have. A college qb that acts like he "knows it all" and doesn't take to coaching seems like a terrible qb prospect to have. I think it is probably a bit overblown, but its clear hes no peyton manning/russell wilson type of worker/student of the game, at least at this point.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

On a high level, my take on the draft:

1.a) Dee Milliner

This is a pick I wasn't a fan of off the bat because of the Revis trade, and he's clearly a downgrade. That said when I look at this as a pure football decision, it's pretty easy to argue he was best player available and he certainly did fill a need. The medical is a bit of a concern, but it is very encouraging that he never missed any game time and played through injuries. Seems like a tough kid.

From a team perspective, Milliner definitely fits. He is almost certainly going to be an upgrade over Kyle Wilson and definitely upgrades the secondary over what they had last year post-Revis. Wilson as a former first round bust got toasted a lot despite the fact that the Jets had a good pass defense. Combine that with the fact that Cro had a career year and we're not sure what they'll get from him this year and the fact that they definitely downgraded at safety (I figure going from Bell to Dawan is about a push, but they'll miss LaRon versus whoever they get to take his place - though I do think Woodson would be better than what's in house), and it certainly doesn't hurt to upgrade the secondary from that perspective. He comes into a really good situation for him also. Cro's going to take care of the #1 wideouts, the Revis comps will be there but Geno's going to take a lot of the attention off of him, and he fits in the aggressive scheme.

Scheme wise I think he fits too. When I watched all of his cutups after the draft I could see why they went after him. Seems like he really thrives in press man which they run here a lot. Very willing to come up and tackle in run support. Hits and is physical - perhaps too physical and I think he'll get flagged a bit as a rookie for illegal contact. Really good blitzer too for a corner which I'm sure they'll utilize. Pretty good in coverage and gets his hands on a ton of passes.

My big concern for him besides the nagging injuries is he's a bit linear as an athlete. Has good hips, but I wonder if he'll struggle a bit with smaller, quicker wideouts (which incidentally, can be an issue with Cro too). He's big and physical enough that I think he'd make a fine safety at some point, but obviously they want him to be a corner now. Also his hands aren't great, but if he's not getting beaten in coverage I can live with less picks.

At the end of the day I think they got a solid, tough corner in Milliner. He's going to make the secondary better, might struggle in certain areas, but he's a scheme fit and I can't see him being a flat out bust. One of the best corners in college last year with some nice physical tools. At the very least I think a good #2 corner in the NFL, with obvious potential to be a legitimate #1 corner.

1.b) Sheldon Richardson

Another pick I was not happy with, but this one grew on me even more than the Milliner pick after the draft. Less analysis from me I suppose on him than on Milliner because I don't have much bad to say about the pick in retrospect. Obviously heading into the draft interior defensive line did not seem like much of a need on paper to us. However, after losing DeVito obviously it was a bit of a need. Also we were unaware of the Coples move pre-draft, but obviously that factored into the decision along with the edge rushers going early in the draft. They're clearly going to run a lot of 4 man lines, particularly in nickel, and it's obvious that they do not see Kenrick Ellis as a three down player.

Moving away from team needs a bit, I love Sheldon Richardson's fit here. I know there are 3-4/4-3 questions, but to me those are silly. For one, the Jets are in 4 man lines over half the time. And on top of that their 3-4 looks don't tend to be two gap, but more one gap. Less reliance on having those long guys who can eat up two blockers, and it's more important to be able to penetrate while being stout enough to hold the point in the run game. Obviously DeVito was a huge part of the defense and he certainly wasn't much taller/longer than Richardson.

Richardson as a player I think is going to be an absolute stud, which is why I really love the pick in retrospect. From watching him, his strength stands out. What stood out even more were his quickness and his motor. He was consistently able to get into the backfield, but didn't have the supporting cast to clean things up when he started to blow up plays. Perhaps more important, the motor was just absolutely nonstop. Dude makes tackles 20 yards downfield, sideline to sideline, just an uncommon motor for a defensive tackle.

There were some clear technical issues where he did not use his hands particularly well and struggled at point with better blockers. However, because of the physical tools and the clear intensity and love of the game, I'm confident that he's going to work to get better. And luckily, the Jets have a tremendous defensive coaching staff and obviously one of the best defensive line coaches in the league, plus a really strong group of front 7 guys surrounding him. Let Dunbar get his hands on a guy with his motor and physical tools, let technique become a strength, and I think we'll see Richardson turn into an absolute star on the defensive line across from Coples.

I could be wrong, but provided his technique gets cleaned up I feel better about him having a really good NFL career than any player the Jets drafted. I think he's going to be a stud, and probably make a massive year 2 jump like Wilkerson did though he brings some different skills to the table. Not sure he'll be Wilkerson good, but there's a real shot for that.

2. Geno Smith

This was a pick that I absolutely loved when they made it. In the NFL, if you hit on a quarterback you're absolutely set. Particularly in the era with the new rookie wage scale, you are not crippled when you draft a QB early and miss on him. I'm a huge proponent of teams taking a chance on a quarterback early because of those first two things. And the Jets had nothing at quarterback heading into the draft, then rolled the dice on a talented guy in Smith.

I'm going to go on two tangents here. One, the Jets get crapped on like crazy for making what seem like smart decisions sometimes. When they took Smith in the second round, they took a consensus first round guy (even the analysts who did not like him graded him around where they took him, Nawrocki had him as a top 50 guy I think) at the most important position in the game and a hge position of need. That's pretty much all you can ask for in a pick, and they got ripped for it. Yes the team is not a great situation for a young QB, but from the team's perspective they have a bad QB situation and are getting faulted for taking a QB at a good value. It's silly to me, and I think a case of the Jets being a circus being the story that'll get made regardless of what they do and the narrative gets tweaked to fit it - at least that's the way it seems. And hopefully Idzik turns that around. Obviously it helps that Geno was criticized pre-draft and a polarizing guy, but still.

My other tangent here, is I feel this QB class got a bad rap. There were more good QB's in this class than in a lot of past classes, and some decent guys went in the 4th round. I could easily see Tyler Wilson starting in Oakland for example, Nassib getting moved for a solid package a-la Schaub after a few seasons of playing behind Manning and showing well in the preseason (though I didn't love Nassib), and in a shameless plug for my boy Mike Glennon I could definitely see him starting in Tampa over Josh Freeman at some point. We may see 3-5 long-term starters come out of this QB class. And I think guys slipped for two reasons. One, teams were spoiled after the Luck-RGIII class because those guys were flat out elite. And two, teams were gun shy after the Locker-Gabbert-Ponder class where those guys got clearly overdrafted and have done nothing in the NFL.

Anyway, back to Geno Smith. I'm excited for the Jets to have a potential franchise QB. To me, a couple of things are really helpful regarding Geno. One, the offensive coaching staff seems competent at this point. Obviously Marty Mornhinwig struggled with Joey Harrington and I'm sure benefited from Andy Reid in Philly, but he's got a really strong track record as an offensive coach. Because Geno isn't that polished right now in a few areas and obviously rookie QB's need some development, I think that's a major positive in the development in a young QB. The other thing is the currently strong offensive line and potential for a good run game. Obviously that was big for Mark Sanchez having success as a young QB here and I think Geno can benefit from that.

On the field, I still go back and forth on Geno. Obviously he was able to benefit from Austin and Bailey. They did a tremendous job making things happen after the catch. There were some bad misses by him, throws that should not be missed by an NFL quarterback. The slow eyes I think are a valid concern. Rex already alluded to it in the presser after the first practice, so that's going to be something to continue to follow. Less of a concern, but he doesn't play to sub 4.6 and is a pure straight line runner - not a read option fit which I don't think is a bad thing because he's too small and would just get dinged up. It's just not a real benefit for him either. Think mobility wise best case he's Aaron Rodgers/Andrew Luck, which is fine. Footwork is poor in the pocket, don't like the bouncing either. That'll need to get cleaned up. Arm I think is good, but not great. And it doesn't have to be, but that's not a strength. There are points where I wonder if he's taking something off the ball or just can't drive it, and I think it's taking something off the ball but I don't get wowed on outs though he does an alright job there. Though he doesn't make many mistakes, some of them are of the stupid Mark Sanchez variety where they get taken the other way as opposed to just taking a shot and having the DB come down with the ball downfield.

On the other hand, I think there are some concerns I'm not sure are that warranted. The fumble issues I think are overblown. A lot of those/enough it seems are on those flip passes that he won't be making at the NFL level. Now he benefitted from those statistically which inflated his numbers, but I'm not sure turnovers are going to be a huge issue. Obviously he benefitted from the skill guys, but even in his bad games the level of play was so much better than what the Jets typically get and is probably good enough to win with an awful defense. I don't see him be particuarly bad against pressure which I think got talked about. The bad weather stuff got debunked by Cimini, he struggled in the Pinstripe Bowl but historically has ben fine in those conditions. And the attitude stuff we'll see, but he seems like the kind of guy who may rub people the wrong way but isn't necessarily a bad guy.

After all of the talk about his weaknesses, I think there are some definite strengths. He showcases really nice touch at points. Makes some extremely impressive throws, more from a placement perspective than wowing with his arm strength. Definitely is able to throw guys open. As I alluded to before, he did a pretty good job with a poor offensive line. Showed the ability to come up big in late game situations. Despite the lack of a huge arm, I think he throws the out well. Actually spread the ball around better than Barkley did at USC from a statistical perspective. Think he does a nice job in the screen game with RB's which will be big in the WCO. I think between the good but not great mobility, ability to throw guys open, and touch he's a good fit in the system. Plus Mornhinwig likes to get deep, and he'll take shots downfield. Provided his footwork improves and in turn improves he becomes more consistent with his accuracy, I like the scheme fit a lot.

For all of the talk about his bad personality, I'm actually a bit encouraged by him there. He's not a rah rah typical guy, but I get the sense that he's going to come in and bust his ass. Seems like he worked really hard on his footwork pre-draft and cleaned that up some. Love that he immediately was talking about diving into his playbook. I get the impression that unlike Sanchez he's a guy who's going to be less inclined to go out and party and more inclined to stay in and study. Coming in his first practice and playing alright then giving himself an F shows he knows he has to get better. And I love that he got together with offensive linement to go through scheme stuff and progressions last night. Maybe not your typical NFL QB leader, but I think he's got enough positive traits there. Think there's a real chip on the shoulder and a desire to prove people wrong, which I love. Hopefully he's able to work his way into being a legit NFL QB and use that chip the same way Rodgers did after he fell. Think he's similar from a physical skill set/personality perspective. Obviously it's a stretch for him to get to that level, but still.

Overall I think he's a guy who's got some very positive physical tools but need a lot of cleanup. We've seen guys who seem raw come into the league and have success immediately. May not happen with him. There's some stuff to work with though and if the work ethic is as good as I think that'd be huge since I think that's a key trait for NFL players. Very torn because I was not wowed with him on the field despite the clear positive traits , but I do love the worker he seems to be. Overall I really can't argue with taking a shot on him at the value they got him and am thrilled the Jets have a chance to have a franchise QB again. Hopefully the work ethic is there and he works out some of his kinks and ends up being a franchise guy.

3. Brian Winters

Here's where my breakdowns are going to start to tail off. Just a rock solid pick to me. Not a ton of video out there on him, but I liked what I was able to see. Clearly not a NFL caliber LT athlete, but was really solid out there in college. Actually probably better athletically than Aboushi. What I love about him is he's big and a tough SOB. Will be able to move quite well for a guard and get out into space which is going to be big in the new run game that Mornhinwig is running. Definitely strong, don't think he's going to get pushed around by interior defensive linemen. Should be a bit of a transition kicking inside, but I think he's a day one starter and a plug and play guard who can stick around and be rock solid for the next 5-10 years. Can't argue with that in the third round, and with the Peterman signing it wasn't a huge need but would clearly have been a big need next offseason. Just not much negative here, only concern is the adjustment to playing inside really and I think that'll be fine.

5. Oday Aboushi

Not a bad pick, but probably my least favorite of all of them. Essentially I think this amounts to him being a backup swing tackle and maybe potentially a starting right tackle if Howard leaves. Not a particularly mobile guy and heavy feet for a tackle, but a bit long and lean to be a guard it seems and with drafting the two other guards I'm not sure I see the fit there from a need perspective either. I think he'd just get shoved around inside too.

That said despite his slow feet he seems pretty solid technically. They obviously know what they're doing with tackles down at UVA and those guys have all been good in the league. I wonder how much his physical limitations are going to hurt him and he's not going to be a road grader on the right side if he lands there either, so I see why he fell. He could be a relatively solid overall tackle though, and it's good to have insurance against injury because they had nothing. Now offensive line depth is a strength after being a weakness for years and hopefully they don't have to push too hard to address it in the future.

6. Will Campbell

Not much on him footage wise and I've never seen him play guard. Based on what I saw as a defensive tackle, I see why they moved him to guard. He doesn't move explosively or violently like a defensive player ideally would. Didn't see much aggressiveness from him either, so the move to guard makes sense although frankly I'd like to see more nastiness from a guard than I saw from him. Winters had more of a nasty demeanor on offense than Campbell did on defense from what I saw. That said, he goes from being an average athlete as a DT to being a plus athlete as a guard, so I guess there's that.

If you're going to draft a guy and move him to the other side of the ball, he'd better be a significant role player at the absolute least or really ideally a starter. And given he's not going to be a role player as an offensive lineman, in my eyes he really needs to end up as a starter to make this pick worthwhile. As an UDFA move fine, and it worked with Brandon Moore, but to me while solid depth would be nice for a sixth round pick I just think if you're going to make a gamble like that as opposed to taking a guy you know can play guard you have to envision him being a starter eventually, even that late in the draft.

7. Tommy Bohanon

I have literally been unable to watch any Bohanon, aside from two brief highlights so this is nearly worthless and pure speculation. Taking a FB in the 7th round isn't bad though if you feel he can get on the field, at least. Seems like he's strong and can catch the ball out of the backfield, so there's some good skills there for the position. Seems pretty quick for a FB and moves alright laterally from the 10 seconds of video I saw. Hopefully it works out and they've got a WCO FB for a few years for when they want one on the field.

/excessively long draft recap post
Old 05-12-2013, 09:31 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Ill give my analysis then too. I like Bohanon cause some dude posted int he Jets forum saying he was good because he knew some girl who dated him. That dude said he was very strong. I am too lazy to look up the post, but that dude seemed pretty confident. I think we should all just take his word for it.

I think that was a measured and well developed analysis of the Draft. Suck it Derza. I beat your ass. Brevity is king **********.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Mornhinwig's comment about the kind of TE they wanted to bring in tells me that they wanted Kelce, maybe Sims. Seems like something they may address next offseason in the draft.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Don't worry about TE. Hayden Smith is gonna run away with the job this year. That is my huge go out on a limb prediction with not basis.