Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 05-10-2013, 11:50 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too lazy to post the beat writers write-ups about todays rookie camp. But generally, the top 3 performers were Eric Reid, Quinton Patton, and Vance McDonald, with multiple reporters singling them out.

Of the 3, it seemed McDonald had the strongest practice.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:15 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Representing for SF in the NFLDC Forum Mock!

Quote:
San Francisco 49ers

Postions of need: S, DL, WR, CB, TE

Needs Analysis: Dashon Goldson's defection to Tampa Bay leaves safety as the team's biggest need, but the 49ers could also use young talent at several other positions. Fortunately, they have 13 draft picks, thanks to trades and compensatory selections. The 49ers had issues rushing the passer after Justin Smith partially tore his triceps in Week 15 last season. The 49ers have enough picks that they can bundle a few of them to trade up, if there is a difference maker available. They also have the opportunity to take a flier on a player with injury concerns.

Real Draft:
Round 1, Eric Reid FS
Round 2, Cornellius Carradine DE
Round 2, Vance McDonald TE
Round 3, Corey Lemonier DE
Round 4, Quinton Patton WR
Round 4, Marcus Lattimore RB
Round 5, Quinton Dial DE
Round 6, Nick Moody OLB
Round 7, B.J. Daniels QB
Round 7, Carter Bykowski OT 6'6" 306
Round 7, Marcus Cooper CB

Mock Draft:
Signings: Jeff Otah

17) Johnathan Cooper - OG/C - North Carolina
34) D.J. Hayden - CB - Houston
61) D.J. Swearinger FS - South Carolina
93) Shamarko Thomas - SS - Syracuse
104) Jordan Reed - TE - Florida
131) Michael Buchanon - OLB - Illinois
157) Malliciah Goodman - DE - Clemson
237) T.J. Barnes - NT - Georgia Tech
246) Chriss Gragg - TE - Arkansas
252) Tanner Hawkinson - OT - Kansas

UDFAs: Bruce Taylor - MLB - VT

The San Francisco 49ers come into the season with lofty expectations and everyone's favorite to win it all in 2013. Mainly because they are so heavily armed with a boatload of picks in this draft. Let's see how they did... Moving up to draft Jonathan Cooper was a sneaky move. The Cowboys would've easiliy taken him at 18 and I wonder if the Cowboys regret not trading up 1 spot. The Niners have shown a commitment to the OL and it has paid off, so grabbing the best interior OL in the draft should continue their success for the long haul. Defense has also been a main focus and with the departures in the secondary via FA, it was imperative for them to address their needs, and so they did. Getting Hayden, Swearinger, and Thomas is damn impressive. Buchanon and Goodman are decent prospects and Barnes is one massive human being. They also didn't fail to add weapons. With the success of the Patriots 2 TE system, it looks like an act many want to follow. The Bengals, Cowboys, and Eagles took TEs early in the real life draft and we could see them trying to use the Patriots blue print. That looks to be the mindset here as the Niners took 2 TEs in Reed and Gragg. Those sets make it difficult for defenses to guess pass or run. Overall, I loved what this GM did in this mock more than what the Niners did in real life. Looks like the Niners are well on their way to the top.

Mock Grade: A+
Season Prediction: 14-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Too lazy to post the beat writers write-ups about todays rookie camp. But generally, the top 3 performers were Eric Reid, Quinton Patton, and Vance McDonald, with multiple reporters singling them out.

Of the 3, it seemed McDonald had the strongest practice.
Apparently Reid looked good in coverage in one on one situations. I forgot that Harbaugh and company went after Reid straight out of high school.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
THE GOOD

1. B.J. Daniels. On Friday, Daniels couldn’t seem to throw straight. On Saturday, he couldn’t miss. And he wasn’t just dinking and dunking, either. Daniels was firing bullets downfield and hitting his receivers in stride. When he couldn’t find a receiver, he scrambled instead of checking down, and when he scrambled, defenders couldn’t touch him. He had two touchdown runs that I saw. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought I was watching Russell Wilson play.
Daniels was wildly inconsistent in college. But if JH can harness some consistency out of his game and mold him to not be his own worst enemy, we could have something there. If Daniels sticks around, and JH has at least two years with him, that kid could be a viable #2 QB with his athleticism and arm.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:29 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently Patton looked pretty predictable in his route running over the weekend and wasn't that impressive. He's a rookie though. So I guess that is to be expected.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2013, 10:57 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Apparently Patton looked pretty predictable in his route running over the weekend and wasn't that impressive. He's a rookie though. So I guess that is to be expected.
I've read he has problem getting open deep, which is why he fell in the draft. He doesn't really have the seperation you look for to be a viable deep threat. So for him to get open deep, he's going have to do it by improving his route running. Its what I was expecting honestly. Short to intermediate, he can be a terror but he isn't going to be a guy a safety has to worry about running past a CB. But I can live with that as a 4th rounder. He could be a very good slot guy if we don't re-sign Crabtree in a year or two. He's quick and shifty but doesn't have deep speed.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 05-13-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bwah. From Barrows column.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I've read he has problem getting open deep, which is why he fell in the draft. He doesn't really have the seperation you look for to be a viable deep threat. So for him to get open deep, he's going have to do it by improving his route running. Its what I was expecting honestly. Short to intermediate, he can be a terror but he isn't going to be a guy a safety has to worry about running past a CB. But I can live with that as a 4th rounder. He could be a very good slot guy if we don't re-sign Crabtree in a year or two. He's quick and shifty but doesn't have deep speed.
I don't see why we wouldn't resign Crabtree if he's still the same player we saw this past season...unless he is completely unreasonable like he was coming out of college as far as the deal he wants. Hopefully we lock him up soon with an extension. As for Patton, yeah he's probably one of those possession type of receivers. Maybe he can make the most out of it like a Marques Colston though.

By the way I wonder how Nate Montana has looked throwing the ball.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 05-13-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't see why we wouldn't resign Crabtree if he's still the same player we saw this past season...unless he is completely unreasonable like he was coming out of college as far as the deal he wants. Hopefully we lock him up soon with an extension. As for Patton, yeah he's probably one of those possession type of receivers. Maybe he can make the most out of it like a Marques Colston though.

By the way I wonder how Nate Montana has looked throwing the ball.
Montana is not very good. No zip on his throws and very erratic. Its a reason he couldn't hack it in college. They might keep him around just to be another camp arm but he's not NFL material IMO.

I think Patton's ceiling is Reggie Wayne. Not a deep threat but a very good short-intermediate WR who occasionally catches a long ball or two. A lot of the fan base is saying Jenkins should be worried, which is comical really because Jenkins is a legitmate deep threat. Patton and Jenkins compliment each other rather nicely, they're not in competition really. Maybe for reps now, after the starters, but in the long-term those two could function as a pretty good starting duo.

As for Crabs, I don't see us extending him. I've always defended him while most of the fanbase ridiculed and bashed him. I think he's a great #2 for any team but I'm of the opinion you don't shell out big money for WRs who are limited. And Crabs will always be limited because he isn't a deep threat. And with Iupati, CK, and Aldon looking to be extended as well, somebody will have to be sacrificed. I think it will be Crabs. I love his size and short-area quickness but we need a legitmate #1 WR and if it isn't Crabs, best to move on and spend the money elsewhere.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 05-13-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
As for Crabs, I don't see us extending him. I've always defended him while most of the fanbase ridiculed and bashed him. I think he's a great #2 for any team but I'm of the opinion you don't shell out big money for WRs who are limited. And Crabs will always be limited because he isn't a deep threat. And with Iupati, CK, and Aldon looking to be extended as well, somebody will have to be sacrificed. I think it will be Crabs. I love his size and short-area quickness but we need a legitmate #1 WR and if it isn't Crabs, best to move on and spend the money elsewhere.
I think Crabtree makes up for his lack of being a deep threat by being able to gain a ridiculous amount of yards after the catch and breaking tackles. He has especially been great on third downs. If we let him go, we better have someone else waiting in the wings that can replace him. Receivers like Crabtree are extremely difficult to find. But we'll see if I'm singing the same tune in two years.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

YAC is great, don't get me wrong, but it can never make up for the lack of seperation for me. Lack of footspeed means a CB can always jump the short stuff. Sure they have to guard against double moves but when you lack the ability to seperate, they can jump the short-intermediate stuff and negate the YAC. Seperation is the key for any WR. It isn't all about 40 times in that regard. Some guys are able to just gain separation without being very fast. To me, Crabs still struggles with creating seperation against press coverage. That is a problem against better CBs.

Just look at the #1 CBs in our division. Sherman shutdown Crabs in both meetings last year. PP and JJ are young and still learning so Crabs was able to exploit them but as they gain more experience, their physical gifts will make it harder for him to sustain success against them in the future I think.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I heard the exact opposite...at least on Friday. He was supposedly very impressive and quick, but had trouble getting open deep.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:14 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like Gray and McDonald are fitting in nicely in mini camps so far!

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/...4-0f7283b06286
Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It'd be quite the coup in MarQueis Gray was able to become an NFL caliber H-Back.

He looks the part for sure. Let's see how much he sponge up and how quickly.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's almost ridiculous how much talent they have on their expanded roster currently that unfortunately they won't be able to retain. They need to expand NFL rosters and practice squad numbers soon. It's long overdue.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
It's almost ridiculous how much talent they have on their expanded roster currently that unfortunately they won't be able to retain. They need to expand NFL rosters and practice squad numbers soon. It's long overdue.
x2 on this but some how this won't happen any time soon or this season.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
YAC is great, don't get me wrong, but it can never make up for the lack of seperation for me. Lack of footspeed means a CB can always jump the short stuff. Sure they have to guard against double moves but when you lack the ability to seperate, they can jump the short-intermediate stuff and negate the YAC. Seperation is the key for any WR. It isn't all about 40 times in that regard. Some guys are able to just gain separation without being very fast. To me, Crabs still struggles with creating seperation against press coverage. That is a problem against better CBs.

Just look at the #1 CBs in our division. Sherman shutdown Crabs in both meetings last year. PP and JJ are young and still learning so Crabs was able to exploit them but as they gain more experience, their physical gifts will make it harder for him to sustain success against them in the future I think.
Personally, I will trade a little bit of speed for great hands, the ability to beat the jam, good route running, and YAC ability. Some receivers like Marques Colston or Reggie Wayne have made a career just dealing with their decent, but not great speed while being very good in other facets of their game. And I think he'll get even more dangerous as he and Kaepernick develop more chemistry together. Honestly I'm not that concerned about him, and I don't think it's a matter of time before the NFL simply figures him out. He did play well against Sam Shields in the playoffs, one of the better corners in the league. I think he was covered by him a good amount of the game.

Anyways, if this is the same Crabtree in two years, I think he needs to remain apart of the roster. No other receiver we have currently is as clutch as Crabtree, and I doubt in two years we'll have another All-Pro type wideout.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I heard the exact opposite...at least on Friday. He was supposedly very impressive and quick, but had trouble getting open deep.
I heard the report from Maiocco, who was essentially saying his route running wasn't that impressive at the moment, which was understandable due to his inexperience. He was comparing his route running to someone like Michael Crabtree, who's routes all look the same from the inception. Apparently the corner or safety that was covering Patton had no trouble keeping up with him. I just got the impression, at this stage, Patton looked average from what was reported. But it doesn't matter. If he continues to improve he'll most likely look different down the road.

Quote:
Old 05-14-2013, 12:09 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Personally, I will trade a little bit of speed for great hands, the ability to beat the jam, good route running, and YAC ability. Some receivers like Marques Colston or Reggie Wayne have made a career just dealing with their decent, but not great speed while being very good in other facets of their game. And I think he'll get even more dangerous as he and Kaepernick develop more chemistry together. Honestly I'm not that concerned about him, and I don't think it's a matter of time before the NFL simply figures him out. He did play well against Sam Shields in the playoffs, one of the better corners in the league. I think he was covered by him a good amount of the game.

Anyways, if this is the same Crabtree in two years, I think he needs to remain apart of the roster. No other receiver we have currently is as clutch as Crabtree, and I doubt in two years we'll have another All-Pro type wideout.
But Crabs isn't a All-Pro wideout. Not close really. And Sam Shields is an average CB with crazy speed. I wouldn't dare call him one of the better CBs in the league. I think you meant Tramon Williams.

I'm not talking about the NFL figuring him out, I'm talking about how he physically matches up with some of the better CBs in the league and how effective he can be against those guys in press coverage. I'm not saying Crabs is bad player, I'm saying he isn't special the way CK, Iupati, and Aldon are. They are All-Pro level players. I don't see that in Crabs. There's no way we can afford all four. I just see Crabs as the odd man out. I thought it would have been A. Davis but with him being the first guy to get an extension, I can only conclude that its now Crabs who is on the outside, looking in. I don't see him taking a discount to stay here and I definitely think he wants to test the market. I just don't ever see Baalke spending big money at the WR position unless the guy is truly a special talent.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 05-14-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:03 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Crabtree continues where he left off and becomes a 1200+ yards and 10+ td receiver with Kaepernick, he isnt going anywhere. Crabtree is Kaepernick's number one guy. Unless Crabtree sucks the next two seasons, I dont see him going anywhere. Besides, by then, other players like Justin Smith will probably be gone or kept at a far cheaper rate so its not like we wont have the money to keep Crabtree. Plus, I think that Rogers will be gone next off-season and that will save us a good amount of cap room as well.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:06 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
If Crabtree continues where he left off and becomes a 1200+ yards and 10+ td receiver with Kaepernick, he isnt going anywhere. Crabtree is Kaepernick's number one guy. Unless Crabtree sucks the next two seasons, I dont see him going anywhere. Besides, by then, other players like Justin Smith will probably be gone or kept at a far cheaper rate so its not like we wont have the money to keep Crabtree. Plus, I think that Rogers will be gone next off-season and that will save us a good amount of cap room as well.
It doesn't matter what happens to Justin Smith or Rogers. Do you know how much a top tier QB will make 2 years from now? We're talking at least 16-18 million a year to re-signed CK. You know how much a premier pass-rushers goes for these days? You can expect Aldon to command more, as he's had the fastest start of ANY pass-rusher, to start their career. Expect him to fetch a pretty penny as well. And you still have to sign guys like Iupati. What are we going to do at CB? Rogers and Smith aren't making anywhere near what CK and Aldon will command. The reality is those two contracts alone will kill our cap maneuverability. Tough decisions will have to be made and I can defintely see Crabs being one of them. It will be a mirror image of Goldson this off-season.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 05-14-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
But Crabs isn't a All-Pro wideout. Not close really. And Sam Shields is an average CB with crazy speed. I wouldn't dare call him one of the better CBs in the league. I think you meant Tramon Williams.

I'm not talking about the NFL figuring him out, I'm talking about how he physically matches up with some of the better CBs in the league and how effective he can be against those guys in press coverage. I'm not saying Crabs is bad player, I'm saying he isn't special the way CK, Iupati, and Aldon are. They are All-Pro level players. I don't see that in Crabs. There's no way we can afford all four. I just see Crabs as the odd man out. I thought it would have been A. Davis but with him being the first guy to get an extension, I can only conclude that its now Crabs who is on the outside, looking in. I don't see him taking a discount to stay here and I definitely think he wants to test the market. I just don't ever see Baalke spending big money at the WR position unless the guy is truly a special talent.
I think you're selling Crabs and his importance to this team a little short here. Last 8 games (including playoffs): 55 rec 823 yrds 7 tds. I think he picks right back up where he left off with Kaep last year. Guess we'll have to see, but I don't see any reason that those two don't continue to improve together. Like Phlysac says, it was really his first time being completely healthy since coming into the league. We'll have to have another WR show something before we could even think about losing him.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
I think you're selling Crabs and his importance to this team a little short here. Last 8 games (including playoffs): 55 rec 823 yrds 7 tds. I think he picks right back up where he left off with Kaep last year. Guess we'll have to see, but I don't see any reason that those two don't continue to improve together. Like Phlysac says, it was really his first time being completely healthy since coming into the league. We'll have to have another WR show something before we could even think about losing him.
I see what you're saying and Crabs is important to the Niners, but when hard decision have to be made (cap-wise) the least elite player or players are the ones that are let go to sign the more elite, despite their value to the team. Iupati, Kap and Aldon have a chance to be the very best player at their respective positions and Crabs doesn't, though he'll likely have a very good career. Many of us wanted to re-sign Goldson but the reality is, he's much more replaceable than some of the other players on the roster will be, so the big picture decision has to be made. If you pay someone, pay someone elite (Willis, VD, Bowman, etc.). Let the very good walk, build for the future through the Draft and the team will have the best chance at sustaining success.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
I see what you're saying and Crabs is important to the Niners, but when hard decision have to be made (cap-wise) the least elite player or players are the ones that are let go to sign the more elite, despite their value to the team. Iupati, Kap and Aldon have a chance to be the very best player at their respective positions and Crabs doesn't, though he'll likely have a very good career. Many of us wanted to re-sign Goldson but the reality is, he's much more replaceable than some of the other players on the roster will be, so the big picture decision has to be made. If you pay someone, pay someone elite (Willis, VD, Bowman, etc.). Let the very good walk, build for the future through the Draft and the team will have the best chance at sustaining success.
I see what you guys are saying, but it typically takes WRs 3 years to be productive in the NFL. Boldin and Manningham are getting older and unless Jenkins and/or Patton develop into starters (which is a possibility) we can't lose Crabtree. I loved Goldson as well, but the fact is it is easier to find and replace a Safety in this league than it is to find a #1 WR. We'll just have to see how the younger WRs develop I guess.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:

I think Crabtree has the potential to make an All Pro list if he continues the production he had with Kaepernick. We only had a small sample size of what they could do together, but it was very impressive. And that is what I mean about All Pro. The potential to provide the production to be worthy of being put on such a list.

As for Sam Shields, he actually had a pretty good season in 2012. I think PFF even ranked him on their top 101 players for the season for what it's worth. Unless Crabtree wants a ridiculous amount of money, my money is on the organization finding a way to have him stay here. We'll see. Crabtree is our first good receiver since Owens was here. I really don't want to spend another eternity finding a replacement. That's just how I feel about it as a fan.

Quote: