Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Bubble Thread

If others are interested in contributing to this thread on behalf of the teams you follow, I'd be really interested to hear about how later-round rookies and UDFAs look in camps, practices, and throughout the preseason as teams head toward their opening-day rosters. So this would be the thread to mention so-and-so from such-and-such DIII school who got his name dropped by Coach in the latest press conference, etc.

It's just rookie minicamps, but I'll throw out what I've got for the Seahawks as the example.

Rice TE Luke Willson really stood out at the rookie minicamp, by all accounts, and due to his deep speed (4.51, and the coaches are saying it definitely shows up downfield - he was beating cornerbacks to the corner and outracing them to the endzone), this could be reminiscent of selecting Richard Sherman in the 5th a couple years ago in that he's fairly new to the position but has the perfect skillset for what the 'Hawks want to use him for and that means he could get on the field early and often next year. Obviously comparing him to Richard Sherman doesn't make him out to be "on the bubble," but he was a 5th round pick with only 9 catches last year, and is presumably competing for our 3rd tight end spot, and I'm mentioning him because he looks like he definitely has the pole position right now.

Texas A&M QB Jerrod Johnson was also reported to be looking really good in minicamp practices, and with Russell's backups currently Brady Quinn and Josh Portis, it's not like the backup job is set in stone. I think they were only carrying two QBs on the active roster last year (Portis was on the practice squad, iirc), so the three of them might be battling for one roster spot. I was watching some footage of the rookie minicamp, and Jerrod looks big and confident, has a big arm and I saw him throw at least one gorgeous bomb to Chris Harper, who made a similarly impressive over-the-shoulder catch in the endzone with a defender draped over his back.

On the flip side, it sounded like LSU CB Tharold Simon showed up to minicamp out of shape, and for another 5th round pick who's already drawn some negative attention, you wonder how much patience the coaching staff is going to credit him.

If I have a request for anther team, I'd be interested in hearing more about what the Browns staff thinks of Ryan Aplin. I think I've only come across one tidbit where he got his name thrown out as a coach mentioned "he throws a really nice ball." He doesn't really have the prototypical look of an NFL QB, but I really liked the way he played for Arkansas State and hey, it's Cleveland, and it seems like any QB who goes there ends up playing on Sunday at some point.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 05-14-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote