Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My initial Mt Rushmore looked like this:

Lambeau
Hutson
Lombardi
Wolf

But it seemed weird to only include one player, so I just gave up on the whole list. I definitely think Wolf belongs, though. He not only brought in White and Favre, but he installed a front office structure that's turned into a GM factory. I heard one former scout refer to the scouting department as "State of the Art."

Last edited by WCH : 05-17-2013 at 04:58 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:03 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was why I initially didn't include Wolf, but thinking about it more, Wolf has to be on there.

We won Super Bowl 45 because of our team.
We had the team because of Ted Thompson.
We had Ted Thompson because of Ron Wolf.

It will inevitably always come back to Ron Wolf. You'll be able to do this for any Super Bowl we ever win in the future. If it wasn't for him we'd probably be going into the 2013 season looking for our first championship since 1968.

The players are important, but if you have a great front office, it doesn't matter about who the individual players are. If it wasn't Favre, it would've been someone else. If it wasn't Reggie White, it would've been someone else.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I'm not gonna give the Starr the nod over Favre because Starr has been "the better soldier" over time, especially when Brett dwarfed what Bart did on the field minus one less ring. There's plenty of negatives Brett had the field early in his career as well and everything he did (both good and bad) added to the uniqueness of the player that Favre was. When it comes to Brett, his ill-will rests with Ted Thompson and how he handled the whole split (and I am not saying that Brett isn't to blame as well), and I feel confident Brett still have a place in his heart for Green Bay and its fans.
Technically, Starr has 4 rings + a watch(thats what they got for the 62 championship I guess lol)
Old 05-17-2013, 07:48 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
forget about the stats then? he's still the best receiiver in the NFL by a mile.
How often does the best WR or best RB win a Super Bowl?
That's rare.
It's the best team. And passing the ball, it's not Andre or Calvin or Larry who win rings. A single receiver, (or running back, see Peterson, Tomlinson) don't win rings.

Our great trio > Calvin Johnson.
In fact, I'll take our #4 & #5 WR over the Lions #2 usually.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:14 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
The players are important, but if you have a great front office, it doesn't matter about who the individual players are. If it wasn't Favre, it would've been someone else. If it wasn't Reggie White, it would've been someone else.
Front offices build teams and players win Super Bowls.

Ron Wolf was terrific as the decision maker for personnel moves, but I just don't see how he can be placed above players the caliber of what we've seen in Green Bay's history.

With the thought process presented, Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews are second in line to Ted Thompson since TT was the one with the foresight to bring them in. Come on now.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Last edited by princefielder28 : 05-17-2013 at 08:41 PM.
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:29 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Front offices build teams and players win Super Bowls.

Ron Wolf was terrific as the decision maker for personnel moves, but I just don't see how he can be placed above players the caliber of what we've seen in Green Bay's history.

With the thought process presented, Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews are second in line to Ted Thompson since TT was the one with the foresight to bring them in. Come on now.
Notice I didn't consider Ted Thompson for the final 4...It has less do with each individual front office move and more to do with the legacy Ron Wolf has left behind.

Wolf will be the backbone for all of our future success for as long as we're picking off of the Ron Wolf tree.

His legacy is going continue to grow.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You have the Wolf Tree, and you have the Holmgren Tree.
They only won 1 title though, and Wolf had a few big misses that he regretted, which he said cost them a title or two, "A Fart in the Wind".

Anyway, you'd like the Mt Rushmore to be about players as much as possible.

If 4 Players, I go:

Hutson
Starr
Favre
Rodgers

Chuck Cecil just misses. JK.
I'd want Reggie White on there, but he doesn't make it.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:27 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

The Packers Mount Bustmore:

Tony Mandarich
Rich Campbell
Jamal Reynolds
Justin Harrell

I'd like to add Joe Johnson, although he wasn't a draftee like those 4 flops. I know Mandarich carved out a serviceable few years in Indy as a guard. But that was the Hall of Fame Top 5 in that draft, and we had 2nd choice, and got that steroid-infested, acne-ridden, balding piece of ****, while the other 4 picks went to Canton.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:59 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post

Anyway, you'd like the Mt Rushmore to be about players as much as possible.

If 4 Players, I go:

Hutson
Starr
Favre
Rodgers

Chuck Cecil just misses. JK.
I'd want Reggie White on there, but he doesn't make it.
if we're going strictly with players, I don't see how Aaron is on there yet. We have 27 people in the hall of fame and Aaron is halfway through his career.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:54 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
if we're going strictly with players, I don't see how Aaron is on there yet. We have 27 people in the hall of fame and Aaron is halfway through his career.
True, but look at his 5-year body of work.
It's better than any 5-year body of work from Favre. or Starr.

If career ended now, sure I suppose you can find someone who had longer success. But a Mount is forever right, so I am projecting Aaron playing more.

I wanted Reggie on here, but I don't think (I know) he had 5 years as good as Rodgers. Rodgers has been the #1 player in the NFL for 2 years running with tons of hardware.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:23 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

My ranking of our toughest games in 2013 (based on the probability of us losing, Vegas odds)..... our projected win total is about 11, meaning 5 losses, like last year.

week 1, @ San Francisco (obvious, they whipped us twice last year, opened and closed our season)
week 11, @ NY Giants (we got killed there last year coming in hot with a 5-game winning streak)
week 14, Atlanta (even at home, tough matchup, Ryan beat Rodgers in Lambeau before already, although it was our ST & D that lost it)
week 6, @ Baltimore (I think we match up well vs them)
week 15, @ Dallas (I will be there, bad luck, except for Super Bowl)
week 8, @ Minnesota (beat us there last year, I think they've improved)
week 16, Pittsburgh (Big Ben still dangerous, but team might have fallen off a bit)
week 17, @ Chicago (their defense usually does pretty well vs 12)
week 3, @ Cincinnati (physical team, AJ Green a tough matchup)
week 2, Washington (another physical team, OL, but RG3 might be rusty still... but running QB's killed us last year)
week 13, @ Detroit (Thanksgiving, I never like it there)
week 10, Philly (I would expect a win, but Philly is an unknown)
week 9, Chicago (no more Urlacher)
week 12, Minnesota (Jennings returns home, will he be out with a hammy by week 12?)
week 5, Detroit
week 7, Cleveland (as close to a bye as we can get)

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 05-19-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:32 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Breaking it down like that just shows how frickin difficult our schedule is. Cleveland, who will be significantly improved, will probably cause us more problems than Detroit because of a balanced attack and a team with a pass rush/very good front seven.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:39 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Breaking it down like that just shows how frickin difficult our schedule is. Cleveland, who will be significantly improved, will probably cause us more problems than Detroit because of a balanced attack and a team with a pass rush/very good front seven.
I think Cleveland's passing game will be very bad, barely better than Tennessee's was last year when they wilted into Lambeau.

Our schedule is brutal though isn't it. But it shouldn't get any harder than our opening game. What if we win that one?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:48 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
I think Cleveland's passing game will be very bad, barely better than Tennessee's was last year when they wilted into Lambeau.

Our schedule is brutal though isn't it. But it shouldn't get any harder than our opening game. What if we win that one?
Cleveland's passing attack will be more vertical with Chud being head coach and Norv Turner running the offense. That move should benefit Weeden, Josh Gordon showed plenty of promise last season, David Nelson isn't a bad player, Davone Bess was brought in as a possession wide receiver, some people still believe in Greg Little, and Travis Benjamin has speed to stretch the defense. There are expectations for Jordan Cameron to take that next step as well. Is it a great unit? No but it's not terrible.

If we beat San Francisco it'll be a huge statement, but after every game this year, whether it's win or loss, we won't be able to celebrate/dwell much after because the next game will be testing us just as much.

I know you like to talk about health as much as anyone J-Mike, and this year with this schedule, we will need our depth as much as ever. Our bye being early doesn't help much either.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:29 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
I know you like to talk about health as much as anyone J-Mike, and this year with this schedule, we will need our depth as much as ever. Our bye being early doesn't help much either.
I hope, for once, health is not much of a factor for us.
I wouldn't mind if San Francisco has to talk about it all year long this time.

Give us a healthy year or two.... although I must say that with #12 & #52, we've kept our key 2 guys pretty much healthy.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Speaking of health, I think with Datone Jones, and this guy, and Matthews, we could have a top-5 pass rush this year, which would make the DB's look a lot better than they already are.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:23 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...en-41-yard-run
Old 05-19-2013, 09:36 PM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Speaking of health, I think with Datone Jones, and this guy, and Matthews, we could have a top-5 pass rush this year, which would make the DB's look a lot better than they already are.
I'm still pissed that this hit was penalized... Hit him squarely in the chest.
CheeseKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:23 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseKnuckles View Post
I'm still pissed that this hit was penalized... Hit him squarely in the chest.
I am too.... and he initially hit him in the bicep it looks to me, popping the ball loose for a big play.
The NFL then fined Perry later for that hit.

Unfuckingfathomable.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:50 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am too.... and he initially hit him in the bicep it looks to me, popping the ball loose for a big play.
The NFL then fined Perry later for that hit.

Unfuckingfathomable.
I still have trouble talking about that play without getting furious. There was absolutely no way to see it as a penalty and I've watched it fast, slow, normal speed and it never looks like a penalty.

And then they FINED him.... it was such a blatant "don't be giving those hard hits to our future crop of QB moneymakers" move. How they pulled that off and then let the Redskins destroy RG3s legs, against medical advice, without penalty is beyond me.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Packers ILB Desmond Bishop (hamstring) says he'll be "110 percent" for training camp, and is aiming to be the Defensive Player of the Year in 2013.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like the attitude but that was a rough injury

I just hope he can be a force vs the run since they needed that big thumper at ILB
Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still sad DJ Smith's injury cost him his spot on the team. Really had high hopes for him.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Assuming he can come back fully from the hamstring it is still unlikely even at "110%" that he'd get consideration for DPOY when he shares the field with Clay Matthews. That being said if he can come even close to the level of play that he expects the defense will be a force to be reckoned with and I welcome that.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
I'm still sad DJ Smith's injury cost him his spot on the team. Really had high hopes for him.
Smith really struggled during his time on the field last year. He was getting caught in traffic quite a bit and his lack of size (height wise) was being exposed.