Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-21-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
At this point what is the difference between an X-Box and a PC other than of course the X-Box being more expensive?
If you game on PC correctly the prices aren't even close.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:55 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
At this point what is the difference between an X-Box and a PC other than of course the X-Box being more expensive?
Well actually a PC is more expensive but you will probably find less cheating/ hacking on X-Box, a better community but other than that... not much.

PC Gamers get mods which can make games light years better.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm guessing that pre-owned game fee will have to have a major loophole or they will get rid of it.

I personally don't buy a lot of used games because I think the whole system is a complete rip off. Buy a new game, a month later trade it for half the price, gets sold for almost new price.

And has Sony announced anything on this front? I feel like Microsoft wouldn't do it unless Sony was too.

Just doing some research it sounds Playstation 4 will play used games but Sony has an unannounced exception to that. I assume it's going to be a fee.

Last edited by Forenci : 05-21-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Forenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wait, people here actually liked Microsoft's presentation? Lol, thought it was awful. You know you have a bad presentation when you have to have your employees cheer/applaud while the press is silent.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was fine for me. Exactly what I want out of my console. I have a PC for real gaming. I use a console for gaming to an extent (exclusives, sports games, etc.) but for me I use it a ton for entertainment purposes.

This wasn't about games. It was about revealing the system, its features, and functions. E3 SHOULD be more about the software, according to Microsoft.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Outside of the lack of games, it really didn't do much different from the PS4 conference. They weren't wildly different. The features they showed were pretty much tailored for most of us on this site. Partnership with NFL, Halo tv series, ability to watch movies while waiting to get in a matchmaking game.

They really just need to show some games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

15 exclusives and 8 new franchise is pretty damn impressive. I'm excited for that. Hoping the show a lot of them at E3.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All I care about is playing games. None of that other stuff on either the PS4 or next XBOX interests me at all.

I plan on just sticking with my PS3 and taking a wait and see approach.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm about games as well, I just love some of the features they showed off. I really think its awesome that the console can get much more powerful over time with the Cloud features. Thats cool. I have faith the games will come at E3, if not, I just wont buy the system until they do. It isnt like Sony has show cased any games that make it a must buy for me at this point either. Idk, we'll see how it plays out.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My thought on the used game fee

$5 - ok fine
$10 pushing it
Anything over $10 - **** that

Gamefly is going out of business...unless they can stay alive with Wii U, 3DS, DS, PS3, X360. Maybe they can somehow get an exception. Or does the PS4 have this?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
StickSkills
Veteran

StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets be real though, used games industry is destined to go out of business. We use to go buy CDs for music and it's now able to be purchased and downloaded to a computer, and that's where we should be going with gaming. There is no reason for companies to spend the money to physically put their games in stores when it can be downloaded straight to a console.

That would also help with the half-life of a game, as people will have to buy the game at full price. Because of that, the original price can probably come down. However, since people expect to spend $60 on a game, that likely won't change.
StickSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point I'm leaning towards ps4...
Old 05-21-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Meh, PS4 didn't show anything in terms of games that would make me lean that way either. Make no mistake, theyre doing away with used games as well. This isn't a case of big bad microsoft making that shift. Its been rumored to be coming for a couple years now. I'll wait to see specifics before getting upset over it like the whole "always on" fiasco.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-21-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
All I care about is playing games. None of that other stuff on either the PS4 or next XBOX interests me at all.

I plan on just sticking with my PS3 and taking a wait and see approach.
I mean, that's fine. Keep in mind, this was Microsoft attempting to appeal to ALL users, not just gamers. As much as we hate to say it, consoles are not really all about gamers these days. They have to have multiple forms of entertainment to warrant their price point. It's like cell phones. No one would pay $200-300 or (or $600-700 unlocked) phones if all they did was text, make calls, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
At this point I'm leaning towards ps4...
Why? PS4 is going to have used game restrictions too. They pretty much all but announced what the specifics of what the restrictions would be. Sony was smart for that, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickSkills View Post
Lets be real though, used games industry is destined to go out of business. We use to go buy CDs for music and it's now able to be purchased and downloaded to a computer, and that's where we should be going with gaming. There is no reason for companies to spend the money to physically put their games in stores when it can be downloaded straight to a console.

That would also help with the half-life of a game, as people will have to buy the game at full price. Because of that, the original price can probably come down. However, since people expect to spend $60 on a game, that likely won't change.
Yeah, I think used games are going to die off soon anyway. Two reasons: 1) New games drop in price quickly now. I never buy games new. I wait a few months and get it for half the cost. $60 for a PC game is absurd. Same with consoles. 2) Digital platform. Used games died on the PC because of CD keys and DRM and all this stuff. I find it odd when PC people (such as myself) critique something like a used game fee (which is absurd and BS fwiw) but we've been subjected to the harshest forms of game control. CD keys, DRM, internet connection required to play, etc. As the internet infrastructure improves and consoles eventual transition into a Steam/digital style distribution used games will be dead.

To me it comes down mostly to price. Games have been overpriced for way too long. I won't lie, I used to pirate a few games now and then. Now, because price drops and game deals happen so often, I never do. I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off anymore when I can get games for $25/30 a month after release.

I hate used games, personally. I think it's scummy tactics by Gamestop. I don't feel bad for developers or anything because they overcharge for games to begin with, but I feel bad for gamers who get screwed because of both sides trying to wage a war on this front. I never trade in games because the value you get is absolutely horrible and the profit Gamestop makes on it is absurd.

I do think you can't limit used games with a fee. What if I want to just trade games with a friend? That's a big income boost for potential devs too. I've borrowed games from friends many times and then gone out and purchased them myself. To me it can't limit that. That's stupidity.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
To me it comes down mostly to price. Games have been overpriced for way too long. I won't lie, I used to pirate a few games now and then. Now, because price drops and game deals happen so often, I never do. I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off anymore when I can get games for $25/30 a month after release.
Please tell me where you buy games. Ever try and buy a COD game a month after release? Still $59.99. 5 months after release? Still $59.99. 8 months after release? You get the picture. That's why I trade in games.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

probably Amazon.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Please tell me where you buy games. Ever try and buy a COD game a month after release? Still $59.99. 5 months after release? Still $59.99. 8 months after release? You get the picture. That's why I trade in games.
Well your first problem is buying a Cod game. And once again, this isn't a new development. Sony is absolutely joining microsoft in this, and its been speculated on for quite some time. I mean PC has done away with used games for online play since I can remember.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

And honestly if I can start buying games right off of Xbox live I will be more than happy to do so. I only buy about 3-5 games a year anyway, and when I do I get them new. This really doesn't bother me all that much, would just make my life easier.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-21-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would buy from Xbox, if they cut the price down 80%.

Like Steam games.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
I keep the Reddit Video Games deal favorited.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/

Gotten SOOOO many good deals there. CoD might be an exception, but I've seen it on sale too for $35 in the past.

Just check this site every day. A lot of it is PC game orientated, though, but they often have console games.

But this is why PC gaming is superior. A lot more deals because there isn't used games. I've gotten new games for less than used games.

I understand buying used games, but when I'm getting $10 for Madden a month after I paid $60 for it...yeah, no.

Can't remember the last time I paid full price for a game. Got Far Cry 3 for $25, Skyrim for $20, Dishonored for $25, etc.

Got ME3 for $10 for the 360 a long time ago.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

the hell $10?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

COD games always take way longer to drop in price. Most new releases drop to $35-40 quickly after release. Or at least have a sale for that price. Check your Sunday Ads.

www.cheapassgamer.com
Old 05-21-2013, 04:33 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with Jvig on this used game era being over for next gen.

Why are people so mad about this ? We knew it was coming. Just didn't know the specs about what was going on.

I enjoy the reveal of Xbox One. Next is pricing for next fall. And pre order options if any.

Again I only buy a handful of games as well each year mianly sports and the common FPS games , COD and MW along with Battlefield and my Forza so I'm good. It just sucks we won't get to barrow games from friends any more :( that part will suck! I borrowed games all the time saving money.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I'm not sure why people are so mad at Microsoft when this is pretty much driven by game developers and publishers.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Eh it wasn't smart to unveil everything at E3. Certainly should have put something forth for this show, they certainly were capable of doing so if they really have 15 exclusives in the works.

Quote:
Quote: