Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know how strong Bridgewater's arm is since I've never seen him in limited viewing ever have to 'muscle' a throw. He seems to be able to throw a football as hard as he need to. WIth his ability to get the ball out quickly and on time, I think Bridgewater relies less on pure arm strength than some QBs.

Even still, you watch this kid flick the ball 50+ yards in the air downfield and it's effortless and his receivers are barely breaking stride to catch the pass.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
I don't know how strong Bridgewater's arm is since I've never seen him in limited viewing ever have to 'muscle' a throw. He seems to be able to throw a football as hard as he need to. WIth his ability to get the ball out quickly and on time, I think Bridgewater relies less on pure arm strength than some QBs.

Even still, you watch this kid flick the ball 50+ yards in the air downfield and it's effortless and his receivers are barely breaking stride to catch the pass.
I think the majority of the time his arm won't be an issue, however throwing the ball efforlessy down the field doesn't equate to having a strong or even adequate arm. It's the throws he needs to put on a rope that get to their target through a small window without giving the DBs a chance to break on the ball I feel he can struggle with.

Again though, there are many QBs starting, and playing at an extremely high level, who can't make all the throws. Not everyone needs an arm like Flacco, Stafford or Cutler, and in fact sometimes having a cannon can be a detriment to some QBs.

When evaluating QBs personally arm strength isn't in the top 3 or 4 traits I look for. Bridgewater seems to have very good accuracy, good and quick decision making, good footwork and by all accounts good leadership. He is my top prospect at the position and one of my top prospects at this early stage, however I don't believe he is this can't miss franchise QB prospect that some make him out to be

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:13 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not that Bridgewater is a 'can't miss' prospect. When I watch him it's hard to find any significant weaknesses in his game. He seems to be nearly flawless in many aspects of playing the position.

BTW I think there is a high correlation between how much effort it takes a QB to get the ball deep downfield and his ability to stick out routes outside the hashes along the sidelines.
When you watched Kellen attempt to throw deep at Boise State, those throws required every bit of torque and power his tiny body could provide.
Bridgewater just drops back and throws, and his mechanics on a 50+ yarder aren't much different than they are on a 20 yard curl route.

I haven't watched more than 100 snaps of Bridgewater throwing, but as of right now I think he has a strong arm however you want to define it.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:47 PM    (permalink
bulldog0123

Bridgewater is a can't miss prospect. His intermediate level throws, and passing maturity are top notch. He is the real deal.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
now the bolded part is what i really don't get...why would you have strong opinion on the discussion at hand when you openly admit you don't have enough information to have an informed opinion? that doesn't make sense to me because i'd like to hope this isn't just a blind crusade to defend your favorite player on your favorite team.

and i couldn't care less that bridgewater played in a "pro style offense" and i damn sure never implied that he automatically carries a higher grade because of the offense he played in. please refrain from putting words into my mouth for future reference. let me try to break it down in a more simple way. i said teddy was further along as a passer meaning more developed. what characteristics are associated with a well-developed passer? footwork, throwing mechanics, anticipatory skills (reflection of conceptual understanding and trust in eyes) and the ability to maintain these fundamentals while in the confines of the pocket. 2012 teddy bridgewater grades out better in each one of these areas than 2011 robert griffin did.
I still remember when Josh Gordon declared for the Supp Draft and people started reviewing his tape and the most common comment was "god damn, I can't believe how much RG3 progressed from his sophomore to junior year."

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Tannehill was a better QB (than Gabbert) when he was still playing WR
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:52 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So far I have watched 7 games of Bridgewater’s from last year – Uconn, Temple, Florida, UNC, Pitt, USF and Rutgers. What I have seen is a guy who would have likely been the top QB selected this year based on his sophomore tape, but IMO the 4th guy taken the year before because he maybe lacks the top end upside of Luck, RG3 and Tannehill.

From a size perspective Bridgewater has more than enough to be a successful QB in the NFL. He could do with adding a little bulk however as a 20 year old two year starter you would expect him to add another 5-10lbs naturally before next year’s draft.

In the pocket I really like how Bridgewater stays bouncing on his toes. He rarely gets flat footed or throws off his back foot. He also has a nice clean throwing motion which doesn’t waste much time or energy. When his set up is right he can zip it, especially to the middle of the field. Where he struggles are on quick 3 or 5 step drops where he needs to turn his body and throw to the right sideline. There are more than a couple of occasions where the ball flats on him and in the NFL that won’t cut it.

When dropped back Bridgewater shows really good patience in going throw his progressions and using his eyes to manipulate defenders. Possibly one of his best traits is the fact he is willing to take what the defense is giving him rather than forcing throws too much.

On designed boots and roll outs Bridgewater does a good job of keeping his eyes downfield and is very accurate on the run.

As far as his accuracy is concerned it is really good. He shows an ability to hit WRs in stride to maximise YAC. At times though he will try to put too much on the ball and will have it sail on him, although this appears to be more on outside routes rather than over the middle. One pretty constant miss I seen of his was throwing to his left outside against one on one coverage approximately 20 yards downfield where he needs to float it over the DB. He consistently overthrows this. Maybe it’s a timing issue or a mechanics issue, but that is one throw in particular which will need to be worked on.

In regards to leadership and toughness Bridgewater has it all. Against UConn he played battered then took a monster high/low hit which would have sidelined most yet he came back and led them through OT only to have a back shoulder throw in the end zone picked off by Blidi Wreh-Wilson.

Overall I still at this point believe he is one of the top prospects in next year’s class and has franchise QB upside. As a prospect Bridgewater reminds me of a cross of Matt Ryan and a taller Russell Wilson.

EDIT - I also want to add in that he has a really pretty ball fake too

Last edited by AntoinCD : 05-23-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:27 AM    (permalink
Kyle472
Rookie

Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
, but IMO the 4th guy taken the year before because he maybe lacks the top end upside of Luck, RG3 and Tannehill.
Bridgewater is heaps better then Tannehill, he would of gone 3rd overall to the Browns.
Kyle472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:36 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle472 View Post
Bridgewater is heaps better then Tannehill, he would of gone 3rd overall to the Browns.
Tannehill was raw coming out but he had insane upside

Old 05-24-2013, 04:22 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watching Teddy Bridgewater in the bowl all I was thinking about how good this kid looked at running his team. The guys looked to his calm. It wasn't too big for him.

I would love to see what his running time is? But he doesn't run. This guy is a in the pocket passer. He looks the part of a top 2 player in the draft.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:10 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's pretty easy to say he's something like a rich man's Sam Bradford. Part of it is that his offense is more NFL-style, and I think Bridgewater's also a litte better athlete. He can run a bit.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
Watching Teddy Bridgewater in the bowl all I was thinking about how good this kid looked at running his team. The guys looked to his calm. It wasn't too big for him.

I would love to see what his running time is? But he doesn't run. This guy is a in the pocket passer. He looks the part of a top 2 player in the draft.
He looked the part of a franchise QB in that game. The only negative I saw was when Florida brought pressure he looked to be a little rattled but high marks all around.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:47 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bridgewater will be a top 3 pick. If it wasn't for Clowny being elligible, he'd pretty much lock up the top pick in 2014.

Bridgewater may not be the prospect Andrew Luck is/was. However, he's a franchise and elite signal caller. Great command of the huddle. Strong, accurate arm. Throws and anticipates very well. You can see the intelligence and patience he has in the pocket. He did it from the few games I watched him in the reg. season then only sold me on him being a stud QB prospect after that Florida Sugar Bowl performance.

The release/accuracy is very comparable to that of Aaron Rodgers.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even though their playing styles are different. He'll have the type of impact the Titans owner hoped Vince Young would bring.. Dynamic QB.

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Kyle472
Rookie

Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kyle472 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Tannehill was raw coming out but he had insane upside
So you would pick a worse QB because of a made up thing?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bahahaha. You "don't believe in upside?"
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:35 AM    (permalink
Kyle472
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Bahahaha. You "don't believe in upside?"
It is made up.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
So hypothetically you had to chose between a ready made prospect who could turn into an average to slightly above average player and a guy who needs development but could turn into an all pro based on his skill set you take the "safe" prospect everytime?

And how is upside a made up thing? Someone with elite size, a fantastic arm, good accuracy and good mobility, but only has a few years playing at the position isn't going to have the chance to get better? That's just ridiculous
Old 05-25-2013, 07:25 PM    (permalink
bulldog0123

Quote:
So hypothetically you had to chose between a ready made prospect who could turn into an average to slightly above average player and a guy who needs development but could turn into an all pro based on his skill set you take the "safe" prospect everytime?

And how is upside a made up thing? Someone with elite size, a fantastic arm, good accuracy and good mobility, but only has a few years playing at the position isn't going to have the chance to get better? That's just ridiculous
I think Kyle is talking about is the evaluation of upside. It's not really something you can pinpoint like we act.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:42 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog0123 View Post
I think Kyle is talking about is the evaluation of upside. It's not really something you can pinpoint like we act.

Sometimes a college player has a particular skillset that directly translates to the pro game that wasn't properly exploited on the college level. Or he didn't have the talent around him to compliment his skills.

Ziggy Ansah was one the most explosive big athletes in college football last year, yet BYU didn't play him at rush DE. He was a DT for the Cougars. His elite ability was never taken advantage of by his college team, thus his huge upside heading into the NFL.

Some prospects have all world athleticism but need more size/strength to play in the NFL. That's a prospect with 'upside'.

Or what about a QB who has intermediate accuracy issues in college with terrible mechanics but has a cannon for an arm and is pinpoint accurate downfield?? Most QB coaches would think this player has upside if his mechanics can be fixed.

Basically if you have elite physical tools for a given position but were inconsistent or lacked quality coaching in college, most GMs are going to label that prospect as having 'upside'.

It's not a made up thing. It's another word for 'potential'. Although having special physical ability doesn't mean a player will ever become good/great at the NFL level.

Many guys with 'upside' bust all the time in the pros.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:17 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He is a better prospect than Tannehill, but that's because of his production and Tannehill's rawness and tendency to turn the ball over a lot in college. Tanehill's upside is clearly higher than Teddy's though, he has elite physical talent for a QB and is just...raw.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:50 PM    (permalink
grushcow
Rookie

grushcow is a cocksman.grushcow is a cocksman.grushcow is a cocksman.grushcow is a cocksman.

I watch him and I see Aaron Rodgers. As far as I'm concerned he grades similarly to him as well.
grushcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:59 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It is made up.
Tell that to Texas Tech.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grushcow View Post
I watch him and I see Aaron Rodgers. As far as I'm concerned he grades similarly to him as well.
Impossible. Player comparison fail. Teddy is black. Aaron is white.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:21 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The problem is what upside sounds like. When people hear upside, they think "growth" - in that sense of the word, upside can't be calculated. Tom Brady, technically, had HUGE upside. But when he was drafted, no one really said "wow, great pick for the Patriots - this guy is a project who could be a future HoFer". Brady didn't even have the amazing physical tools that are usually associated with it.

The problem is that every player can technically grow and mature into better players than they were in college. If we're going to look at it logically, any player who devotes himself to the game has HUGE upside. On the flip side of that, just because you devote yourself to the game, it doesn't guarantee you'll have success.

However, people mainly use upside to refer to players who are abnormally athletic, physically gifted (height being a big one here, but wingspan and such as well), strong or fast for their position.

at least that's how I feel about it :P
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:28 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

People forget that Brady was a damn good college QB at Michigan and played his best in the biggest games.
He was written off because he was rail thin, didn't have a cannon arm and couldn't outrun his shadow.

Someone should have taken a chance on Brady before the 6th round.