Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 AM    (permalink
jobiwon
Rookie

jobiwon hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I still follow the NFL over the next couple months with the camps and OTA's. I'm am content knowing all the changes my team made. I can now enjoy our limited spring and summer we have around here in PA. The draft is already too late. I have to wait for it with anticipation. May would kill me. I'd like to be able to enjoy these events while I'm stuck indoors with bad weather. The Sat of the draft this year was the first nice day here and I got grief because I stayed inside to watch day 3. My kids want to go out and play and its the first time to mow. May is busy with yard work and doing things outside with the kids. Our local amusement park opens that weekend and family wins out. The draft will be ruined for me. I'll have to tape day 3.
jobiwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually, could see this plan backfiring, early April, the weather isn't very nice and staying home to watch the draft is an easy choice to make, mid May is a whole different story, the weather can be wet but like this year, it can also be wonderful and TV viewership drops way off in May. The days are also longer so they will be up against that as well.

For hard core fans like us, it won't make much of an impact but for casual fans, viewership may well drop off significantly. TV schedulers know these facts and begin running reruns starting in May, it will be interesting to see if the NFL can buck these trends.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So they would do most of Free Agency (save the June 1 cuts) before the Combine and Draft? That makes a lot of sense. Teams will know who they've signed and be able to spend more time focusing on drafting for needs. It sucks to push the draft back, but well it makes a lot of sense.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I actually, could see this plan backfiring, early April, the weather isn't very nice and staying home to watch the draft is an easy choice to make, mid May is a whole different story, the weather can be wet but like this year, it can also be wonderful and TV viewership drops way off in May. The days are also longer so they will be up against that as well.

For hard core fans like us, it won't make much of an impact but for casual fans, viewership may well drop off significantly. TV schedulers know these facts and begin running reruns starting in May, it will be interesting to see if the NFL can buck these trends.
The change of the draft to "prime time" has lost my viewing as it stands. Living on the west coast I am at work until about pick #20. And then what's the point of watching, especially considering I have to get dinner going.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
The change of the draft to "prime time" has lost my viewing as it stands. Living on the west coast I am at work until about pick #20. And then what's the point of watching, especially considering I have to get dinner going.
Is that really worse than having to get up early on a Saturday and Sunday to watch the Draft on the West Coast?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Goodell hate is absolutely bananas. The man is quite possibly the best NFL commissioner yet. These changes WILL have an impact on the league's revenue and keep fans who aren't die-hard NFL fans attentions longer. Great move from a great commissioner. Go Goodell!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
Is that really worse than having to get up early on a Saturday and Sunday to watch the Draft on the West Coast?
Yes. Because I can actually do it. I don't have the ability to watch the draft in "prime time" until garbage time in the 3rd day.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
The Goodell hate is absolutely bananas. The man is quite possibly the best NFL commissioner yet. These changes WILL have an impact on the league's revenue and keep fans who aren't die-hard NFL fans attentions longer. Great move from a great commissioner. Go Goodell!
But the point isn't about attention on the NFL 365 days a year. The point is the utility and purpose of it. And it hurts the usefulness of the NFL offseason.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After dividing by 32, will the teams actually see any sort of noteworthy monetary gain?

They should pimp out the draft location to the highest bidder each year, then they'd see a noticable amount of money come rolling in.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
After dividing by 32, will the teams actually see any sort of noteworthy monetary gain?

They should pimp out the draft location to the highest bidder each year, then they'd see a noticable amount of money come rolling in.
No, it's not about the teams. It's about the NFL itself. The "non-profit" organization.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn you NFL any more longer of wait just sucks.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2014 Draft will be May 8th thru the 10th

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:44 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
2014 Draft will be May 8th thru the 10th
Scheduling the draft during The Players Championship weekend? Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:03 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Scheduling the draft during The Players Championship weekend? Boo!
Certainly will hurt ratings, especially if Tiger's success continues and builds. Plus the Kentucky Derby is the weekend before and that'll take away some of the attention. The end of April is the best time of year because the start of baseball has taken its turn, basketball/hockey playoffs are still in the early stages and the golf/horse racing are on deck. Now they must compete with much more.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nobody cares about golf and horses, so that isn't any competition. I just don't want to wait longer, dammit.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So fans have to wait 2 more long weeks, and rookies get 2 weeks less with the playbook/team.

The SB in 2014 will be on Feb 2, and the draft will be May 8...3 long months of waiting. I don't care about the Combine and the hype around FA only lasts for about 48 hours so Feb-May is going to be a dead period NFL wise for me...

Not a fan of this move. I understand that the NFL wants the draft in the May sweeps period though. w/e...

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 05-28-2013 at 12:33 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Nobody cares about golf and horses, so that isn't any competition. I just don't want to wait longer, dammit.
The Players drew a 5.7 on the ratings, obviously helped by Tiger being in contention, the Derby drew a 10.4, and the NFL Draft, while we love it, drew a 2.1 through the whole weekend and a 4.1 during the first round.

I don't think more competition from other sports is going to help the NFL's ratings for the draft.

Last edited by princefielder28 : 05-28-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:28 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Believe me, the NFL can, they only care about safety because they are facing thousands of lawsuits over injuries, money rules the day with owners and Goodell is just their mouth piece.
They only care about increased safety because of lawsuits because (primary causality here) of fans that want to see ever bigger hits. The bigger, faster, stronger is not just a product of competition. It's also a product of fan interest.

There is monetary incentive not only to not care, but to pump it up more.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
I.....like....the...horses.....

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
The Players drew a 5.7 on the ratings, obviously helped by Tiger being in contention, the Derby drew a 10.4, and the NFL Draft, while we love it, drew a 2.1 through the whole weekend and a 4.1 during the first round.

I don't think more competition from other sports is going to help the NFL's ratings for the draft.
Great fact hunting! Was the 10.4 for the Derby the ratings for the pre-show and race, or just for the 2 minute race and post-show? Given how quickly the Derby goes, the NFL probably isn't concerned with it hurting their ratings. The TPC on the other hand, the NFL should pay attention to because of the advertising money.

If you think about the Venn diagram, the Derby and TPC take up much of the same market and advertisers. The NFL and TPC would share a fair number of viewers and advertisers. Yet between the NFL and Derby, there are few viewers or advertisers they really compete for.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:13 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Day 1 of the golf will have finished before the draft even begins on Thursday night. Same for Day 2 on the Friday. By Saturday afternoon it's only the hardcore NFL fans who watch Rds 3-7 anyway. I don't see it affecting TV ratings.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think they did it for TV ratings, I believe they just want the NFL in the limelight for the month of May when most fans couldn't care less about the NFL once the draft is complete.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
Great fact hunting! Was the 10.4 for the Derby the ratings for the pre-show and race, or just for the 2 minute race and post-show? Given how quickly the Derby goes, the NFL probably isn't concerned with it hurting their ratings. The TPC on the other hand, the NFL should pay attention to because of the advertising money.
I believe the Derby number is for the whole time slot it took up on NBC.

My initial point wasn't necessarily about the hard numbers for the viewership about each event, but rather that the NFL Draft will not be the only thing drawing significant interest in the week during the draft.