Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A thread to discuss an average at best team? Sure, why not I guess.
Defense is alright, not great, but not bad either.
Offense is meh, I don't like Weeden at all. Richardson was like others said overdrafted, but he's still a good RB. Need the WR's to develop and the OL to hold together.

Still a ways to go.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

They have a ton of talent on their defense already. Joe Haden is a top-5 CB, Phil Taylor is a top-5 NT. TJ Ward is a very good safety. They have some solid pieces around them.

They have a good OL, a good RB, and some decent WRs. They need to settle their QB spot to be a real competitor.

If Mingo turns out to be a player, and they settle their QB spot with someone who is at least in the top-15 discussion (could still be Brandon Weeden), I could see them running the AFC North for a while.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Leon McFadden will be a pretty good CB. But I'm completely bias and a homer with that one.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:29 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Browns are in the running as my sleeper team this year. But I'm not committing to that just yet.

Needless to say, I'm struggling to find a sleeper this year. Last year was easy.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:25 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will Weeden doom them though, or can the guy actually turn out to be pretty good?

How deep is their receiving corps?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its all on the QB. The Browns aren't really that bad but they just lack a good QB. Its especially hard because the AFCN is pretty good right now. The Browns aren't terrible but they are clearly the 4th best team in the division. Although they aren't exactly an easy win for the Ravens lately.

I respect Browns fans the most probably in the league. The

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Will Weeden doom them though, or can the guy actually turn out to be pretty good?

How deep is their receiving corps?
He is in a very good situation for him to grow. Chudzinski and Norv Turner have very strong track records, when it comes to developing QBs, and Weeden could benefit greatly from their coaching. The new system those guys will implement definitly suits Weedens strengths better than the one Pat Shurmur used as well. That being said, Im not even sure that Weeden will be the starter in week 1. Still way to early to tell, but havent heard a lot of ringing endorsements about him coming from the new coaching staff.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll be very disappointed in Weeden if he doesn't improve markedly this year.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
Its all on the QB. The Browns aren't really that bad but they just lack a good QB. Its especially hard because the AFCN is pretty good right now. The Browns aren't terrible but they are clearly the 4th best team in the division. Although they aren't exactly an easy win for the Ravens lately.
They're not "clearly" the 4th best team in the division. They actually have more young talent on defense than either Baltimore or Pittsburgh. I think they have more total talent, outside of the QB position, actually, than either team.

Give them a decent (doesn't even have to be top-10) QB, and I could see them being the #1 or #2 team in that division this year. It remains to be seen if Weeden can be even decent, but if he is, or if they find someone else, I'd put money on the Browns fighting the Bengals for that division title, with the Ravens having a say, but neither team being clear-cut #1.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:40 AM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
They're not "clearly" the 4th best team in the division. They actually have more young talent on defense than either Baltimore or Pittsburgh. I think they have more total talent, outside of the QB position, actually, than either team.

Give them a decent (doesn't even have to be top-10) QB, and I could see them being the #1 or #2 team in that division this year. It remains to be seen if Weeden can be even decent, but if he is, or if they find someone else, I'd put money on the Browns fighting the Bengals for that division title, with the Ravens having a say, but neither team being clear-cut #1.
If they had a good QB they would be much more competitive for the AFCN title, but as it is I really don't think they do. I'm just not a Weeden fan, but the situation coaching wise is very nice so I could see him having some success. All 3 other teams have QBs established and that means a ton. The Browns do have nice young talent on defense but Baltimore and Cincy are also really talented overall. Baltimore is still a really talented roster on both sides of the ball and are more talented than the Browns.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 06-07-2013, 02:40 AM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

double post

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Last edited by niel89 : 06-07-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 AM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

triple post. Why is there no delete button?

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Last edited by niel89 : 06-07-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Cincy has alot of nice young talent on both sides of the ball and I think it's a toss-up between them and the Browns for "most talent overall outside of the QB" in that division.

I don't see how Baltimore an edge in the talent level over the Browns. The only promising young players (on defense) I see there are Courtney Upshaw, who's mostly just a run-stuffing OLB and nothing special as a pass rusher, and whoever they drafted this year (and they're nothing but prospects at this point). Suggs, Ngata, and Dumervil are nice players but I'm looking at this from the perspective of the next 3-4 years, and I'll take Cleveland's young defensive players over these guys any day, especially guys like Suggs coming off injuries in their 30s.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:03 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Cincy has alot of nice young talent on both sides of the ball and I think it's a toss-up between them and the Browns for "most talent overall outside of the QB" in that division.

I don't see how Baltimore an edge in the talent level over the Browns. The only promising young players (on defense) I see there are Courtney Upshaw, who's mostly just a run-stuffing OLB and nothing special as a pass rusher, and whoever they drafted this year (and they're nothing but prospects at this point). Suggs, Ngata, and Dumervil are nice players but I'm looking at this from the perspective of the next 3-4 years, and I'll take Cleveland's young defensive players over these guys any day, especially guys like Suggs coming off injuries in their 30s.
Most overall talent in the division outside QB easily goes to the Ravens at this snapshot in time.

Rice, Smith, Osemele, Yanda, Ngata, Suggs, Doom, and Webb is better than anything anyone else can throw out at this time. 2-3 years that might change, but as of right now the Ravens have the best roster even minus Flacco.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:37 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Most overall talent in the division outside QB easily goes to the Ravens at this snapshot in time.

Rice, Smith, Osemele, Yanda, Ngata, Suggs, Doom, and Webb is better than anything anyone else can throw out at this time. 2-3 years that might change, but as of right now the Ravens have the best roster even minus Flacco.
You're assuming an awful lot about Suggs and Dumervil as older players coming off down years, though.

I wouldn't take Ray Rice over Trent Richardson, and I wouldn't take Osemele over anyone on the Browns OL either.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post

Go man per man down the Bengals starting 22 and see if you still think the same.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Go man per man down the Bengals starting 22 and see if you still think the same.
Yeah right now I'd definitely give the edge to the Bengals.

Bengals >> Browns / Ravens (about equal, Browns have more youth but Ravens have more "names") >>>> Steelers.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Super Bowl

Suck it rest of NFL.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:20 PM    (permalink
robert pancake gallery
Veteran

robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the concept of "winnable games" based on the offseason schedule is hilarious, the browns beat reigning or to-be super bowl champions three years in a row if i recall correctly. that said they have a young team (queue the "hurr hurr weedn is 30 lolz wut r u idotz doin draft a qb in frst rnd") and they will still probably be pretty inconsistent.
robert pancake gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It doesn't help that Gordon just got suspended 2 games.

Quote:
NFL suspended Browns WR Josh Gordon two games for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.
He'll also forfeit four game checks. Gordon entered the 2012 Supplemental Draft after what were believed to be multiple marijuana incidents, including an arrest for possession at a Taco Bell during his time at Baylor. He later transferred to the University of Houston, but was not allowed to play. Gordon is one of the better breakout fantasy candidates in the NFL this season, but the two-game ban is a reminder of his off-field history. Ultimately, it could also make him a better value in fantasy drafts. He'll be back in Week 3.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:18 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

Quote:

In 3 years the Browns might be considered more talented but right now and for the next 3 year the Ravens are better. In 3 years Suggs and Doom will probably fall off but right now they are probably the best OLB combo and maybe the best pass rush duo. The DL will be much improved with some added 34 DE vets in Canty and Spears who will rotate with McPhee and Jones who are decently promising young players. Additionaly Ngata moving to NT should help shore up the run defense.

This Ravens team wont be around for 4 years but it is a more talented group right now and thats what the topic is right now. Cleveland has some good young talent and if they keep drafting well they will be a big threat in a few years, but right now they are the #4 team in the division. I also trust the Ravens and Steelers to reload on young talent because they traditionally are good drafting teams, so in 3 years they might be stacked with talent again. The Browns right now just don't have that proven track record yet.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 06-07-2013, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think they'll get to .500, and almost all of the blame will be earned by Weeden.

That was just a crazy pick for Holmgren to make. I'm not a believer in him at all. With an average QB, I think they're a wild card-level team. Wasn't a fan of the Richardson pick/trade-up either (ewwwww first round RB), but it wasn't half as bad as Weeden.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Meh, I love Atkins, Green, and Zeitler as much as anyone, but people tend to speak more glowingly about new stars rather than old stars. Go back 3 years and people would hold Ngata, Rice, and Suggs in the same esteem that those guys are. It doesn't mean that those guys aren't still damn good, but the novelty of their dominance has worn off, and everyone is on to the shiny new thing.

The fact is that the Ravens are a really talented team with a core of football players that have proven that they can be successful in this league. The results speak for themselves. Even last year without Webb and a hobbled Suggs and Ngata they were able to win the Super Bowl. The loss of a couple of players whose names are bigger than their impacts won't set the Ravens back that far.

In a Bengals-Ravens case the Bengals roster looks younger which gives more people the perception that it's more talented, but in reality the Ravens have more talent to work with that will actually create tangible results towards winning games.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:19 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
In 3 years the Browns might be considered more talented but right now and for the next 3 year the Ravens are better. In 3 years Suggs and Doom will probably fall off but right now they are probably the best OLB combo and maybe the best pass rush duo. The DL will be much improved with some added 34 DE vets in Canty and Spears who will rotate with McPhee and Jones who are decently promising young players. Additionaly Ngata moving to NT should help shore up the run defense.

This Ravens team wont be around for 4 years but it is a more talented group right now and thats what the topic is right now. Cleveland has some good young talent and if they keep drafting well they will be a big threat in a few years, but right now they are the #4 team in the division. I also trust the Ravens and Steelers to reload on young talent because they traditionally are good drafting teams, so in 3 years they might be stacked with talent again. The Browns right now just don't have that proven track record yet.
There have been statistical studies done that show that year-to-year drafting success is almost completely random and unsustainable.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2013...s-and-nfl.html

No team in the league has a "proven track record" any more than another. I don't value the Steelers or Ravens as "better drafters" any more than the Browns.

The Steelers and Ravens look like aging teams to me, with alot of "name" guys and some older patchwork vets like Canty and Spears who were wholly underwhelming with their previous teams. Both the Browns and the Bengals have more young talent than those two teams.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:37 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

Quote:
There have been statistical studies done that show that year-to-year drafting success is almost completely random and unsustainable.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2013...s-and-nfl.html

No team in the league has a "proven track record" any more than another. I don't value the Steelers or Ravens as "better drafters" any more than the Browns.

The Steelers and Ravens look like aging teams to me, with alot of "name" guys and some older patchwork vets like Canty and Spears who were wholly underwhelming with their previous teams. Both the Browns and the Bengals have more young talent than those two teams.
I strongly disagree with the notion that drafting success is almost completely random and unsustainable. You can not value teams track records all you want, but some teams are consistently better at drafting and some aren't. Luck plays a factor but they better teams manage it. There are a lot of factors that go into drafting but some franchises produce better results.

Are we debating overall talent or just younger talent? What is the cutoff for young talent? The Ravens have more overall talent than the Browns but young talent is comparable. The quarterback difference is really what puts the Browns behind the rest of the division.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy