Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Bubble Thread

If others are interested in contributing to this thread on behalf of the teams you follow, I'd be really interested to hear about how later-round rookies and UDFAs look in camps, practices, and throughout the preseason as teams head toward their opening-day rosters. So this would be the thread to mention so-and-so from such-and-such DIII school who got his name dropped by Coach in the latest press conference, etc.

It's just rookie minicamps, but I'll throw out what I've got for the Seahawks as the example.

Rice TE Luke Willson really stood out at the rookie minicamp, by all accounts, and due to his deep speed (4.51, and the coaches are saying it definitely shows up downfield - he was beating cornerbacks to the corner and outracing them to the endzone), this could be reminiscent of selecting Richard Sherman in the 5th a couple years ago in that he's fairly new to the position but has the perfect skillset for what the 'Hawks want to use him for and that means he could get on the field early and often next year. Obviously comparing him to Richard Sherman doesn't make him out to be "on the bubble," but he was a 5th round pick with only 9 catches last year, and is presumably competing for our 3rd tight end spot, and I'm mentioning him because he looks like he definitely has the pole position right now.

Texas A&M QB Jerrod Johnson was also reported to be looking really good in minicamp practices, and with Russell's backups currently Brady Quinn and Josh Portis, it's not like the backup job is set in stone. I think they were only carrying two QBs on the active roster last year (Portis was on the practice squad, iirc), so the three of them might be battling for one roster spot. I was watching some footage of the rookie minicamp, and Jerrod looks big and confident, has a big arm and I saw him throw at least one gorgeous bomb to Chris Harper, who made a similarly impressive over-the-shoulder catch in the endzone with a defender draped over his back.

On the flip side, it sounded like LSU CB Tharold Simon showed up to minicamp out of shape, and for another 5th round pick who's already drawn some negative attention, you wonder how much patience the coaching staff is going to credit him.

If I have a request for anther team, I'd be interested in hearing more about what the Browns staff thinks of Ryan Aplin. I think I've only come across one tidbit where he got his name thrown out as a coach mentioned "he throws a really nice ball." He doesn't really have the prototypical look of an NFL QB, but I really liked the way he played for Arkansas State and hey, it's Cleveland, and it seems like any QB who goes there ends up playing on Sunday at some point.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 05-14-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just a question: Is Jerrod Johnson really considered a rookie? He was an undrafted rookie free agent in the 2011 class. He hasn't played in a game, so is he technically considered a rookie? I thought he'd be considered 1st year?

Anyways, I hope he does well, I thought he looked good at times at A&M
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, he's technically not a rookie but since he was allowed to be at a rookie camp I figure for the purposes of this thread he counts. He's only just come back from his shoulder injury, so this seems to be the first he's been able to come out and compete for a spot while physically 100%.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 05-14-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have the Lions had their minicamp yet?
I wanna here an update on UCLA TE Joseph Fauria. I really wanted the SKins to take this guy and think he's going to be a stud in the pros.
Don't know why he was so underrated heading into the draft. had a great season last year for the Bruins. He's 6'7, 260# and can do work intermediate and down the field. A huge athletic mismatch mainly because of his length.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nikell Robey picked off EJ Manuel for 2 pick sixes in one practice.

*Not a bills fan*
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are we saying Nikell Robey is that good or EJ Manuel is that bad? lol
Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BJ Coleman though not a rookie participated in rookie camp since he spent all last season on the practice squad. By most accounts he looked much improved.

Tryout player Angelo Pease got some attention after McCarthy singled him out as a player who impressed.

Both late round WRs were said to look the part in shorts. Showing soft hands and smooth routes.

1st rounder Datone Jones apparently won't have much of a learning curve as the terminology used at UCLA is pretty much the same in Capers' defense.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
Are we saying Nikell Robey is that good or EJ Manuel is that bad? lol
Manuel is horrible but there is no reason Robey shouldn't have been drafted

besides the 5'8 170 lb thing

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:54 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post

Tryout player Angelo Pease got some attention after McCarthy singled him out as a player who impressed.
I'm glad to hear Pease is getting attention. Very talented player that played QB is juco. He still needs development, but is a good potential guy
Old 05-15-2013, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post

*Not a bills fan*
You left out the part where the ball, which hit Zach Brown in the numbers, went through his hands, and got tipped up into the air

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post

*Not a bills fan*
Feel sorry for Bills fans. They should expect much more of this in TC and God forbid if Manuel starts the regular season.

He was sooooo overdrafted almost strictly on measurables.

I don't care how good Robey is, there's no way Manuel should have his passes that telegraphed in a minicamp practice...by another rookie.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Feel sorry for Bills fans. They should expect much more of this in TC and God forbid if Manuel starts the regular season.

I don't care how good Robey is, there's no way Manuel should have his passes that telegraphed in a minicamp practice...by another rookie.
The one was a bad throw. I'll give you guys that.
But the other one was a perfectly-placed pass that bounced off the RB's hands, up into the air, only to be grabbed by Robey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post

The problem i had with taking a QB there is more than likely they'll have to pass on a much better one next year.

As for the Luke Willson mention i wouldn't be surprised if he didn't surpass McCoy by the start of the season, which wouldn't be that big of a feat.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

I think there's a good chance he quickly steps into a complimentary role right away, which would probably get him on the field more than McCoy, even if McCoy is still basically the "backup" to Zach Miller, in that they are more similar as players.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys. Mini camp practices don't mean a damn thing. Relax.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pracdiss? We here and I'm supposed to be the franchise player and we talkin bout pracdiss?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:32 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/9...ns-depth-chart

Sounds like Owen Marecic is in danger of being cut by the Browns. I remember he was pretty highly thought of around here.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:08 AM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/9...ns-depth-chart

Sounds like Owen Marecic is in danger of being cut by the Browns. I remember he was pretty highly thought of around here.
It'll be an uphill battle.

Owen Marecic just isnít cut out for the NFL. Respect what he did as a collegiate ironman, but I struggle to see him sticking in the pros. Canít block. Canít catch. Canít even contribute on special teams at an above replacement level. From what heís shown so far, heís not worth a roster spot. Itís a stretch to call him one-dimensional. To be quite honest, I was surprised he survived last seasonís bubble. Heís been brutal for the Browns.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My favorite reciever from this past class Da'Rick Rogers is beasting Bills OTA's. He must have really been terrible in interviews to not be drafted. I could see him fighting Woods for playing time and leaving Goodwin in the dust prior to the start of the season. If he can just keep out of trouble he's going to be a steal.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudders View Post
It'll be an uphill battle.

Owen Marecic just isnít cut out for the NFL. Respect what he did as a collegiate ironman, but I struggle to see him sticking in the pros. Canít block. Canít catch. Canít even contribute on special teams at an above replacement level. From what heís shown so far, heís not worth a roster spot. Itís a stretch to call him one-dimensional. To be quite honest, I was surprised he survived last seasonís bubble. Heís been brutal for the Browns.
I did have some reservations about him (although I liked him -respected him as an "ironman") because while he was on the field a lot, he didn't really pop out at you anywhere, and taking a fullback in the 4th round basically means a team expects him to turn into a full time lead-blocker. And he was never known for being a devastating blocker - he was just this really tough guy Stanford used all the time. If I remember correctly, that was the year Spencer Larsen got a lot of playing time on both sides of the ball for the Broncos, so I wonder if the Browns thought they were getting a better version of that sort of player.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Woah... speaking of fullbacks. Vontae Leach just got released.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Good time to bump this thread. Seattle's got a bunch of talented receivers, but also injury issues so it's an interesting practice dynamic/competition in Seattle. Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin are the obvious choices to make the roster, with Chris Harper also seeming likely as the team's 4th round pick and by far the biggest receiver on the roster, something Pete Carroll covets. Harper's been making plays in practice, too. The other name that I keep hearing out of camp is that of the 6'5" 200lb Stephen Williams, who's been on the Cardinals the last two years, but couldn't stay healthy. Word is that he's getting consistent separation and making acrobatic catches over strong Seahawks defensive backs, and Russell Wilson has good things to say about him, too.
Quote:
“Stephen does an amazing job of attacking the football,”
quarterback Russell Wilson said. “When the ball is in the air, he goes and gets the football. He’s got great acceleration, he’s got great speed, he runs great routes … he’s got the whole package.”
We know by now that Russell Wilson is a never-say-die optimist so his enthusiasm probably ought to be taken with a grain of salt, but Williams sure sounds like he's got some things to offer... So that's 6 receivers, and most teams don't carry 7. But we've still got Washington product Jermaine Kearse to talk about, and he's been catching everything in practice, too. He had lasik surgery in the offseason, and perhaps clearer vision is helping. I remember him having a penchant for drops in college, but he also had a couple spectacular catches last year, and as a big receiver with good speed and agility, I'm confident he'll get another shot if he's the odd man out.

The Seahawks also have a glut of running backs. After Marshawn, Christine Michael and Robert Turbin are battling for the number 2 spot, and early indicators are that Michael's explosiveness might convince the coaching staff to put him on the field early. If there's anything we know about this Seahawks team it's that they're not adverse to putting in their young but talented players right off the bat. Pete Carroll was also really excited to draft Spencer Ware this year, calling him the most violent runner in the draft, and as a versatile player and potential replacement for Michael Robinson down the road, I have to imagine he's got quite a bit of value in their eyes, even if he's not a primary ball-carrier right away. I'm sure they'll keep Michael Robinson - if they keep Ware, does he count as just a fullback, or would he be the third tailback as well? (he's listed as a fullback on the roster.) They're not lacking for explosiveness at the position with Michael and Marshawn, and Michael was lining up with the first team offense this week for some passing plays while Turbin nursed a foot injury.

It seems like Turbin shouldn't be cut after one year, but if the Seahawks think Christine is an upgrade at backup running back and plan on keeping Ware around, I'm not sure Turbin has a clear role on this offense. He was pretty decent on passing downs last year, but didn't get many yards after contact (especially considering his size) and wasn't a great open-field runner. I also remember him dropping a couple of wide-open passes. My instinct tells me that Pete Carroll really likes Ware and thinks of him more as a fullback, potential short-yardage back and long-term replacement for Michael Robinson. I also definitely don't think Mike's going anywhere this year. Marshawn and Michael are locks for the roster. Do they keep Turbin as a 5th running back? Ultimately I think "yes," but I also think he's closer to the bubble than people might think. Pete Carroll really likes running backs, though, so it's reasonable to think we'd carry 5, but I think Michael's going to be Marshawn's primary backup by week 1.

Speaking of running backs, though, the Packers are inevitably going to cut a decent player at that position.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 07-30-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Also, the Seahawks just signed Jameson Konzzzzzzz again.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Christine Michael was one of my Fave RB in this class. I think I had him ranked 3-4, but Turbin was one of my steal players last year so with Lynch aging an all the injuries to RB That can occur, I think Sea did a great job locking that position down long term. Michael reminds me of McFadden and Turbin reminds me of Lynch to be quite honest. It's now a deep position for them and if something happens to beast mode they're won't be much of a drop off IMO. And I love that Harper is doing well. I thought he'd be a guy who couldn't separate from NFL db's I said he was a fifth rounder with great up sidein the right situation he'd be a 2nd round value. He landed in a good spot and seems to be making a great impression.

Regardless of Skill positions. I want to see Wilson unleashed. We saw glimpses of his ability (reason I said he should be a top 5 pick) and regardless of my opinion, Wilson should be unleashed. If they completely take the training wheels off he's gonna tear apart that division. He has the luxury of a balanced attack and D Wilson has a great chance to take the Hawks to the next level.

'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Good time to bump this thread. Seattle's got a bunch of talented receivers, but also injury issues so it's an interesting practice dynamic/competition in Seattle. Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin are the obvious choices to make the roster, with Chris Harper also seeming likely as the team's 4th round pick and by far the biggest receiver on the roster, something Pete Carroll covets. Harper's been making plays in practice, too. The other name that I keep hearing out of camp is that of the 6'5" 200lb Stephen Williams, who's been on the Cardinals the last two years, but couldn't stay healthy. Word is that he's getting consistent separation and making acrobatic catches over strong Seahawks defensive backs, and Russell Wilson has good things to say about him, too.

We know by now that Russell Wilson is a never-say-die optimist so his enthusiasm probably ought to be taken with a grain of salt, but Williams sure sounds like he's got some things to offer... So that's 6 receivers, and most teams don't carry 7. But we've still got Washington product Jermaine Kearse to talk about, and he's been catching everything in practice, too. He had lasik surgery in the offseason, and perhaps clearer vision is helping. I remember him having a penchant for drops in college, but he also had a couple spectacular catches last year, and as a big receiver with good speed and agility, I'm confident he'll get another shot if he's the odd man out.

The Seahawks also have a glut of running backs. After Marshawn, Christine Michael and Robert Turbin are battling for the number 2 spot, and early indicators are that Michael's explosiveness might convince the coaching staff to put him on the field early. If there's anything we know about this Seahawks team it's that they're not adverse to putting in their young but talented players right off the bat. Pete Carroll was also really excited to draft Spencer Ware this year, calling him the most violent runner in the draft, and as a versatile player and potential replacement for Michael Robinson down the road, I have to imagine he's got quite a bit of value in their eyes, even if he's not a primary ball-carrier right away. I'm sure they'll keep Michael Robinson - if they keep Ware, does he count as just a fullback, or would he be the third tailback as well? (he's listed as a fullback on the roster.) They're not lacking for explosiveness at the position with Michael and Marshawn, and Michael was lining up with the first team offense this week for some passing plays while Turbin nursed a foot injury.

It seems like Turbin shouldn't be cut after one year, but if the Seahawks think Christine is an upgrade at backup running back and plan on keeping Ware around, I'm not sure Turbin has a clear role on this offense. He was pretty decent on passing downs last year, but didn't get many yards after contact (especially considering his size) and wasn't a great open-field runner. I also remember him dropping a couple of wide-open passes. My instinct tells me that Pete Carroll really likes Ware and thinks of him more as a fullback, potential short-yardage back and long-term replacement for Michael Robinson. I also definitely don't think Mike's going anywhere this year. Marshawn and Michael are locks for the roster. Do they keep Turbin as a 5th running back? Ultimately I think "yes," but I also think he's closer to the bubble than people might think. Pete Carroll really likes running backs, though, so it's reasonable to think we'd carry 5, but I think Michael's going to be Marshawn's primary backup by week 1.

Speaking of running backs, though, the Packers are inevitably going to cut a decent player at that position.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote