Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-10-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Nice! :) I managed to get two pieces of a space-station up in orbit only to smash them into each other while attempting to dock. Docking is not the piece of cake I was expecting.
Haha, yeah docking is pretty hard. Once you master your RCS thruster control it's pretty simple though.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha yeah. I still can't decide my next step. I think I may try to land on Eve, although from what I understand it's quite difficult to get back off of the planet?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Hmm. Damn. Give me stuff to do, njx! Haha.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Hmm. I really haven't looked too much into how to build a tug. I will have to do so.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Hmm. Maybe I'm having issues too. I feel like I built a solid tug but the damn thing keeps tilting with SAS on about 15 seconds after launch and then explodes.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
kill your gimbals on everything but the center engine, and see if that helps. if it's still wobbly, try hand piloting the whole way. if THAT fails, take the standard KSP advice and add more struts. :P
Haha yeah. It must have been something with my design. I was trying not to overpower the rocket since it just needed to get into orbit but I think that actually ended up making it a bit unusual. I re-did it and it is works pretty well now.

I'd also like to work on space planes at some point. I'd love to make some sort of Space shuttle type of reusable spacecraft. I'm hoping when there is career mode that there's a big benefit from doing that (i.e. saving money).
Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Been housing some Civ 5 lately after I bought Gods & Kings DLC. Built 3 Citadels on Japan's border and they're quite upset with me. Too bad any militaristic move by them would be futile.

Any other Civ players here?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Been housing some Civ 5 lately after I bought Gods & Kings DLC. Built 3 Citadels on Japan's border and they're quite upset with me. Too bad any militaristic move by them would be futile.

I haven't played a Civ game in years and years. I'm hoping they'll have a bundle for sale during the Steam Summer Sale though.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Pro Bowler

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still playing Civ 4 mods. Plan on getting Civ 5 quite soon.
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:47 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I've been playing since the first one was on floppy disk. Love the series. It has certainly changed in nature over the years.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I haven't played a Civ game in years and years. I'm hoping they'll have a bundle for sale during the Steam Summer Sale though.
Civ 5 was on sale for like 10 bucks for vanilla game, extra 7.99 for G&K just this past week. You missed out, my friend. Also was free to play for a weekend.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:34 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
I've been playing since the first one was on floppy disk. Love the series. It has certainly changed in nature over the years.
My brother played the earlier Civ's more than me, but I've really gotten into this last one. Gods and Kings adds a bunch of elements that the vanilla version badly needed. If anyone upgrades to Civ 5, get G&K as well. There's also a new expansion coming out in July.

I was like 12 when I first started playing. I still remember using the cheats in Civ 2 (or 3?) to spawn nukes in like 750 BC lololol

I really miss the throne room, though. I know there's a mod that brings it back, but that was always fun to me. City View was sick too, loved seeing all the Wonders in my city.

Last edited by djp : 06-11-2013 at 02:39 PM.
djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Civ 5 was on sale for like 10 bucks for vanilla game, extra 7.99 for G&K just this past week. You missed out, my friend. Also was free to play for a weekend.
Well why the hell didn't you tell me about this sale, huh?! HUH?!

Old 06-11-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:

I've got it! It's been a little while since I've played it though.

I honestly probably bought like 20-25 games over the past year but just haven't had the time to play them since I've been in school. I got them all for pretty amazing discounts so I did want to get them, but the fact I've been trying to play all of them has kept me from playing other games like Civ 5.

That and new games like KSP have popped up and dominated my time for gaming.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:02 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly... I still play CivNet, I enjoy it more than any of the future versions, they just added so much crap that just didn't add anything to my experience and mostly just took away from the enjoyment with tediousness or a lack of freedom.

Civilisation and Settlers are the only two series that I can think of where I genuinely enjoy the original games more than the sequels, I'd love a CivNet remake with updated graphics!

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:40 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

The official EQNext website has launched. I haven't looked at it yet, just came here to post it. I know there were a few people excited about it, right? nrk, didn't you wanna play it?

https://www.everquestnext.com/

Old 06-12-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Like I said in the E3 thread, I just can't trust SOE. Way too many bad MMOs. I really want EQNext though to be awesome.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Also! Njx! How big did you make your tug? Does it use the same sort of four atomic engine rocket design as a interplanetary lander? That's sort of the design I'm using but I can't tell if I have too much or too little in terms of fuel tanks. I'm still tinkering with the design, but I'll thrown up a screenshots soon. It actually sort of looks like a lander. I'm also not sure exactly where/how the docking port should be arranged. I put a small, shield docking port on top and figure a landing craft can dock on the front end of it and I can just tug it that way? I'm not too sure about it. Then I feel like I'll need to get some orbital refueling stations up, just to be handy.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:17 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since I am so far behind... I just got my first manned orbit and safe touchdown.

I think either tonight or tomorrow I am going for Luna and back.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Since I am so far behind... I just got my first manned orbit and safe touchdown.

I think either tonight or tomorrow I am going for Luna and back.
DO IT! What helped me at first was getting my lander vehicle up and simply in Orbit around the Mun. After that, I had a feel of how to get there and what fuel it would take to get on the Mun and back. DEFINITELY quick save when you get in orbit around the Mun. You'll probably crash a couple times on the planet and also come down in a way that makes you spend too much fuel to get off.

It's fun though. Hardest part for me was simply killing my lateral movement when I got down close to the planet. If you're moving too much laterally, even at under 3 m/s you can still tip over and end up screwed. I've gotten pretty good at using my RCS control to negate the thrust though.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Ah alright. That's actually not too different from what I had. I used a big fuel tank in the center and added some extra mono propellant because I tend to go through it semi-quickly, especially when docking.

I may scale it down a little, actually, so it's not as bulky to steer and such. Would save me the need for too much monopropellant.

GOOD, GOOD! Do you have orbital refueling stations to keep that thing topped off? Is it able to easily get to and from other planets? Assuming it is a good capture.

And yeah, lateral movement was a big issue for me at first but now I almost have no problems with it. I think after I get my tug up and running I might dabble with a few mods. I'm really interested in some of the mods that give you a more authentic style of engine, i.e. the Mercury or Atlas rockets.

Are there any must-have mods? I thought I saw you had one that seemed to give you some better stability than just using struts (since they can only reach so far).
Old 06-12-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Yeah, that save stage would be amazing. I didn't realize that you couldn't do that when I started playing initially so I thought I could make a few rocket designs and use them for a variety of different things (interplanetary, orbital lifting, etc.) and then design a lander/fueler/etc. separately and just attach them. Didn't take me long to see that wasn't the case, haha.

I guess I like refueling stations for the sake of semi-realism. Although there's nothing really inherently unrealistic about crashing an unmanned tug or probe back into Kerbin, I try to imagine like this is career mode and I want to get as much longevity out of my craft as I can to save "money."

I really need to get a reusable space plane going. I just can't get a feel for building the damn things. I tried to build a space shuttle type plane and the weight just wasn't right. Plus the rockets aren't powerful enough to run on so little fuel in order to get up into orbit successfully.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:41 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Ok, I downloaded the demo. Time to give this a shot.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:47 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Oh apparently you can eject your little dudes midflight. Sorry buddy.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
the first accidental death is always special.
Accidental? ;)