Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
That's all nice but he isn't worth a top 20 pick. Too many drawbacks people want to ignore. Size is what makes WRs impossible to cover, not just speed. Speed also doesn't help at all in the redzone. Flacco didn't win a superbowl throwing high passes to tiny receivers.

The Panthers need size and speed not finess players who can't break arm tackles. Watch his highlights, none of the players ever touch him. Makes you wonder what happens when they do.

How come Percy Harvin is the only player people compare him to that was drafted in the first round? Because you can find players like him later on and it's a better risk-reward strategy.

Darren Sproles was nuts in college and he was picked in the 4th. Also, it's crazy that Sproles is 15 lbs heavier than Austin and only 2" shorter.
.................................................. ..................
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do appreciate what you are saying, and he definitely isn't for everyone. But just because he isn't the type of receiver you are looking for doesn't mean he won't be productive or have a successful career.

I just watched a 9 minute video of his 2012 highlights. For starters, the fact that you can compile such a lengthy highlight video of him says a lot. More than that, he is extremely difficult to get a hold of. He shakes loose like very few players I have ever seen. So the fact that he goes down from arm tackles doen't carry nearly as much weight as it would with a running back who would be asked to run between the tackles regularly, in my opinion.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would take Austin. He's not my first choice, I'd prefer someone of the following first: Star Lotulelei(slight chance he still falls), Chance Warmack, Sheldon Richardson(if Dwan isn't resigned), Xavier Rhodes, Cordarrelle Patterson. But if those guys are gone, taking Austin is something I could deal with. I'd probably prefer even then to trade back, but I do think Austin has a future in the NFL.

My main problem with Austin would be his fit with Cam Newton. He's quite short, and Cam is prone to highballs. With a big receiver like Hopkins it wouldn't be a big deal, but now sure how it would fare for Austin.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Ted Ginn signing. Presumably brought in for his returning ability, where he should provide an immediate upgrade. Armanti Edwards, Pilares and probably Joe Adams have been made redundant by this move, although Adams is unlikely to get cut so soon.

It will be interesting to see him in the offense. I know he was basically frozen out in San Fran, but I think there's still some promise for him. I don't expect much from him beyond a #3 guy, but at that I like his chances. His explosiveness may make Cam Newton pretty happy.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Ted Ginn family!
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Dwan is back. Judging from their reported contracts, I already like what I see when it comes to Gettleman and his approach to resigning players. I'd hate to imagine the money Hurney would have tried to dish out to keep them here.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 03-23-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My last comment on Austin -- My point about people not touching him is that, that will not happen in the NFL like it does college. Nobody who relies completely on making people miss is going to have a consistent career. As a preemtive counter argument let me say that Steve Smith doesn't not do this. Smith's physical style doesn't compare at all.

It's not that Austin isn't a good player, it's that he isn't worth the 14th pick. Every player that compares to Austin is proof of that.

We've resigned Captain and Dwan to one year contracts that have to be pretty favorable to the Panthers. This probably never happens if Hurney is still here. I love that they're both coming back. I'm actually OK with our secondary as it is and we can still draft a CB/FS.

Picking up Ginn is interesting. I don't know what he'll bring at WR but we know he's consistent and the safe player Rivera has been hoping for at PR. He's a combo replacement for Armanti and Gettis. I think we'll have Smith, Lafell, Ginn, a rookie, Adams and Pilares.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Well, by pre-season SOS, we have the hardest schedule next year.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So sick of mocks with us taking Sheldon Richardson.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF View Post
So sick of mocks with us taking Sheldon Richardson.
The epitome of mock draft laziness. I'm almost certain those who give him to use have nothing more than see that DT is listed as a major need, and thus given us their highest rated DT, regardless of scheme needs. I'm actually a big fan of Richardson, if Dwan didn't resign I'd be more than fine with taking him, but we have other needs as is. But luckily today we'll hopefully get to see how ignorant everyone was when drafting him for us.

Overall, unlike past years, I don't really have any idea of who we'll go after in the first. I think Austin would be atop our realistic board, but looks like he may be gone before us. If Star falls, I think he's the automatic pick. Even though Sharrif isn't a NT, I could also see him being selected as well. Vaccaro also been heavily rumored to be on our radar.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 PM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.

Nice first round, didn't see Star falling that far.
kBuc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

The fact that we now actually have the key pieces for an elite defensive line (although Dwan will admittedly still need replacing soon) is just so...strange.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
The fact that we now actually have the key pieces for an elite defensive line (although Dwan will admittedly still need replacing soon) is just so...strange.
Well, Hardy stepped up, we found Dwan in a stock heap and caught a falling Star (zing!!!)

Can't wait to see the LBs behind this line. So long, Fua!!!

I wonder what we do in the 2nd. I highly doubt Cyprien is there. I think it's WR/CB/S
Old 04-26-2013, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Star was such a great pickup for you guys. Can't wait to see Hardy dominate this year, your front 7 is going to be so damn stacked.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Well, Hardy stepped up, we found Dwan in a stock heap and caught a falling Star (zing!!!)

Can't wait to see the LBs behind this line. So long, Fua!!!

I wonder what we do in the 2nd. I highly doubt Cyprien is there. I think it's WR/CB/S
The 2nd is stacked perfectly for us. Warford, Allen, Hunter, Woods, Patton, Jamar Taylor, Poyer, Cyprien, Swearinger are all potential plays. Not going to get to watch the draft tonight, but my preference would be one of Allen, Hunter or Cyprien, with Allen being the most likely pick IMO.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 04-27-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

I have no idea what the **** we are doing.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love what the Panthers did. Star and Short give them an A in my book right off the bat. Not many picks, but Klein and Barner are steals that late and Kugbila is real intriguing. I'd be very excited if I were a Panthers fan.

A.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
I love what the Panthers did. Star and Short give them an A in my book right off the bat. Not many picks, but Klein and Barner are steals that late and Kugbila is real intriguing. I'd be very excited if I were a Panthers fan.

A.

I thought overall it was good for the future of the team.

The fans have a problem with it because they didn't address WR/CB/S. In reality the only chance they had to do that was in the second round. Star was as much of a steal as you could get in the first round. I didn't think the CB/S class was good in the second I like Short.

We had Dwan Edwards on a 1-year deal at DT and NOBODY else. Even after drafting Star, we would have another hole at DT next year. I'll have to see them, but Star/Short seem to be good compliments. They've established a beastly interior of the defense set for the next four years. Frank Alexander is essentially our 3rd rounder this year and if he plays well he could make it easier if Hardy demands too much.

I can't act like I know anything about the OG but I'll trust Gettleman on this one. I really liked the Barner pick. I doubt Pilares sticks around and Armanti is gone.

Sorry Panther fans, it's gonna be another year till we draft a WR/CB/S high. Even then, I bet we go OT. LOL
Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nitpicking here but Dwan's deal was a two year deal, not a one year deal. But the point remains valid that we needed more DT's than just Star in the first.

Honestly looking at what we have right now, and considering that Bell is a RFA next off-season and that Gross can void the final three years of his contract next off-season, I fully expect an OT early next year.

As for this draft, the Guard kind of jumps out but I can't say I really know a lot of him. But taking him while Barrett Jones was still on the board has me interested in watching to see what they saw in him to make them pick him over Jones.

Barner, well, I expected an RB at some point in the draft honestly. DeAngelo or Stewart one won't be in Charlotte next season given the cap situation. I'd imagine it would be DeAngelo that's let go.

ETA- It also feels damn good just to come out of a draft still owning all our picks in the next years draft (except our 7th rounder)!

Last edited by JPF : 04-29-2013 at 02:29 PM.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...-goal-50-sacks

You lucky SOB's

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

So Jon Beason took a $4.25M pay cut, bringing us to almost $13M under the cap for this year. The remaining years of his contract are so far untouched, but that's a remarkably unselfish move. Got to respect the guy for that.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

O-M-G

I'm so sad I missed this performance.

Each of the front 7 players are good by themselves but wow. Seeing Star's effect on Keek is insane.

PLEASE GET THE SAME HELP FOR CAM NEWTON. It's year three and they've ignored the entire offense since he got here.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Quote:

O-M-G

I'm so sad I missed this performance.

Each of the front 7 players are good by themselves but wow. Seeing Star's effect on Keek is insane.

PLEASE GET THE SAME HELP FOR CAM NEWTON. It's year three and they've ignored the entire offense since he got here.
Star's first two games were much more hit or miss, but he really showed what he's possible. With a little experience under their belt, him and Short have locked down the middle for years to come, and like you said, that's going to make Kuechly only that much better. I was also impressed with Colin Cole, could provide good depth.

Our offensive line though...

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 09-15-2013, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Rivera has to go.

Sig by Matthew Jones