Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:21 AM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.
Default Lem Barney: Football will be gone in 20 years

Interesting article from the USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...years/2424499/

Lem Barney thinks that the game is getting too dangerous to last much longer.
7DnBrnc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:29 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see the NFL going away any time soon as long as it is still making a billion dollars a year. It will get bastardized and bastardized until it is not recognizable.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:47 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Barney suggests removing the helmet from the game, but he understands that's not a reasonable expectation.
This idea is sort of wrong-minded. Helmets are meant to protect against skull fractures, not concussions:
Quote:
In November 2000, as Riddell developed the Revolution helmet, Biokinetics sent the company the report concluding that existing helmets -- and the safety tests used to regulate them -- were designed to prevent catastrophic head injuries like skull fractures, but not concussions. Modern helmets easily pass the safety tests. But, the report showed, that did not mean they could protect against concussions.
This is sort of a big deal because players used to die due to head injuries. That's why helmets were introduced in the first place, and why they were rapidly developed.

Developing a helmet that will protect against concussions is difficult because they're typically caused by the brain moving around inside the skull during rapid acceleration or deceleration. The trick, if I understand this correctly, is to develop a mechanism to ease the deceleration of the head when, for instance, it slams down to the ground.

I know that in the 90's there was a trend of players using foam covers on the outside of their helmets, but I'm not sure if that helped.

Last edited by WCH : 06-15-2013 at 10:00 AM.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Football will not be gone in 20 years, baseball will not be gone in 20 years.

NBA might, but that is still doubtful. The only way any of these leagues get put out of business is if they get so caught up in their own greed that they self implode.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say 50 years.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:51 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say give people the choice on their lives and what they want to do. Who would initiate this radical change to cease the sport? The government?

We already get told in society

Don't smoke
Stop being fat.
Now we have which sports we can play.

Let people have the choice to do it all without people interfering. If I want to smoke, while playing football and then eat a case of krispy cremes then I will!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:51 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Never happen. The NFL will impose weight limits and fines for tackling with the helmet before the league ever entertains the idea of going out of business.

Is Lem Barney this pressed for attention that he has to talk out of his ass?lol
Old 06-15-2013, 12:59 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Save the sport! I propose this futuristic initiative to help protect the players. My proposal utilizes state of the art, futuristic technology that will eliminate 100% of all football related injuries.

My plan will also stop car accidents as well.

Gents, I humbly present to you this cutting edge technology.

NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:02 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barney's attitude is probably typical of players from his generation. They feel like they made the game great, sacrificed their minds and bodies for $25,000 a year, and now the NFL would like to just rid itself of them. So they are screaming at the world, "IT'S NOT WORTH IT!" And although they are almost certainly right, at least to some degree, we will all still watch the game and encourage men to play it because we love it more than we fear the consequences.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:26 AM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Never happen. The NFL will impose weight limits and fines for tackling with the helmet before the league ever entertains the idea of going out of business.

They should do the weight limit thing. I think that the 70's Steelers wouldn't let anyone play over 300 pounds. It is bad for those players to be that heavy, anyway. They are much more likely to die from Sleep Apnea, which is what killed Reggie White.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:36 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we will see the worst of it in the next 20-30 years. Some guys are going to be ****** up. But the new protocols and testing will help out this generation of players.

If the NFL some how collapses a new league will pop up. There will always be players willing to sacrifice their body for fame and money. Is there potential for major shake ups? Yes. But football isn't going away.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:33 AM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Save the sport! I propose this futuristic initiative to help protect the players. My proposal utilizes state of the art, futuristic technology that will eliminate 100% of all football related injuries.

My plan will also stop car accidents as well.

Gents, I humbly present to you this cutting edge technology.

Seriously, why haven't pads and helmets evolved properly. Shock absorbers, memory foam, gel, etc could all help. If I had a lab I'd develop something.

My main Idea is to have an outside facing IP based air bladder programmed to use a nano compressor that gauges how fast all the players are going and reacts within a nanosecond to inflate then deflate on impact. Using IPv6 and wifi, each helmet would know what portion of the helmet to inflate and re-inflate at the speed of light. Then to cap it off, two thick gel packs between a piece of kevlar and memory foam for added protection. I'd call it Smart Armor and would develop it for all padding.

Last edited by Guru : 06-16-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:57 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anyone have the job-related injury stats for pro football players versus lumberjacks? Or crabbers and other fishermen? I personally know guys who have died at work making a lot less money. So Lem (and USAToday *spits*) can go ahead and shut the **** up.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barney is full of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
^ THAT is it ^
Farve will say similar **** in 10-20 years when his name gets forgotten.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
anyone have the job-related injury stats for pro football players versus lumberjacks? Or crabbers and other fishermen? I personally know guys who have died at work making a lot less money. So Lem (and USAToday *spits*) can go ahead and shut the **** up.
Also, what about the extreme athletes and the people that compete in the X-Games? Those people could die while doing their sports if they have an accident, but there is no outcry for them to stop. Same with downhill skiers.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could see football slowly being phases out. If equipment doesn't improve, high schools and middle schools could ban it. Kids could decide to go into baseball, basketball, or soccer. With a decreased talent pool, the NFL would have decreased quality and be gone. I don't think it will be in 20 years but it could legitimately happen in our lifetime (well maybe not CJ's lifetime).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I couldn't find the exact year (quickly anyway) but in 2010 there were 70 logging deaths for 95,000 workers, a rate that would have us see an NFL player die on the field every year. Is Lem going to stop using wood products?

On another site I found that the commercial fishing industry averages 58 deaths a year between 1992 and 2008 (128 per 100,000). If that was the NFL rate, we might be seeing two on-field deaths each year. And neither loggers nor fisherman are making close to the league average, around 2m. I wonder if Lem likes seafood?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:53 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
I couldn't find the exact year (quickly anyway) but in 2010 there were 70 logging deaths for 95,000 workers, a rate that would have us see an NFL player die on the field every year. Is Lem going to stop using wood products?

On another site I found that the commercial fishing industry averages 58 deaths a year between 1992 and 2008 (128 per 100,000). If that was the NFL rate, we might be seeing two on-field deaths each year. And neither loggers nor fisherman are making close to the league average, around 2m. I wonder if Lem likes seafood?
I bet he would tell his children and grandchildren not to go into those careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:11 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

$9 billion industries with cities on the hook for many billions more generally don't disappear. Our country had invested a lot into the NFL, and so much commerce is dependent on it. I have a very hard time envisioning a situation where the league would be forced to stop operations.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:47 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look, the NFL is facing something like 4500 lawsuits from former players claiming the league did nothing to protect them from concussions, worse yet, they claim the league's doctors/coaches sent them back into play knowing that they were still suffering from the effects of their concussions.

You have to know that it won't be long before school systems are being suited on masse for the same things including public schools, high schools and colleges. The sport could definitely be in real trouble, especially if schools are forced to give it up due to lawsuits no matter how much revenue it produces and how popular it is.

The NFL is already changing its rules to reflect this new reality, so the question will come down to how much physicality can they take out of the game and still have people who will watch it. It is likely that in the near future, the rules will seem to become ridiculous as the league and schools attempt to save the sport, but how much will fans accept a completely watered down version of football before the sport goes on the junk pile.

I think hockey is in trouble as well, I know in Canada, kid's parents are already beginning to take their kids out of hockey because of all the talk about concussions and its long term health effects and we have yet to see the lawsuits the NFL is facing.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Ghost of Juice
Rookie

Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I don't see why they don't the money from fines to use for research and development of better helmets. Something that would also help is by going to all grass fields, or make the turf field softer. I know all the concussions I got were from my head slamming into the ground, not another persons helmet.
Ghost of Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
Also, what about the extreme athletes and the people that compete in the X-Games? Those people could die while doing their sports if they have an accident, but there is no outcry for them to stop. Same with downhill skiers.
All of these are valid points. Personally, I think it's just a risk you take. When entering the NFL you aren't entering based on the assumption, or promise, that the technology and prevention of injuries will increase. No, you are entering because you want to try to prove yourself, so that you can make 10+ million a year and, for many, develop your brand and image so that you can make millions after you retire.

It's pretty simple, if you don't want to accept the risk, don't play the game. It's a balance of risk verses reward, and to most the chance to play the game they love, paired with the chance to make millions of dollars is worth the risk.

When you are playing a sport, injuries are a part of it. Some sports aren't as high of injury risk, but often the payout isn't as high either. If you want the best combination of money to injury risk, don't play football. As stated, there are tons of jobs that provide injury risk, it's just once you factor in damage to the head football gets elevated. But I still think it's drastically blown out of portion, if they don't want to risk it, get out.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I don't think it will be in 20 years but it could legitimately happen in our lifetime (well maybe not CJ's lifetime).

Look, here, sonny, my generation played this game like men.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post

Look, here, sonny, my generation played this game like men.
I couldn't give you rep. :-(
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NFL is going to pay because they knew the dangers of concussions and didnt disclose it. But they will also be able to prove that players opted to frequently play through injuries by there own choice and therefore brought some of this on themselves.

Nevermind the common sense angle of this whole thing, where players are basically claiming they didnt know that repeatedly slamming their heads into things was bad for their health. i get theyre football players, but no one is that stupid.

Then again, it is our legal system, so im gunna guess the whole common sense approach never makes it into the courthouse.

Football enrollment is way down among youths (as it should be, no reason to be playing tackle before 6/7th grade), a little bit in HS's (in the league i coach anyway). I dont think it ever really dies, but I could see football taking a hit for a while before figuring out how best to handle this health matter.

Last edited by hockey619 : 06-19-2013 at 12:20 PM.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote