Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-07-2013, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just guessing that the show would actually be more successful if it downplayed the feuds and actually focused more on the improvements being made and the business side of things.

Maybe it's on the wrong network for that sort of depth, but the asinine drama and the ridiculous tirades are what make me turn the show off before the midway point of any episode.

If the show wasn't so formulaic, that'd help. I don't know why reality shows are so fearful of breaking from their packaged presentation. They dumb things down for the lowest levels of intellect.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:40 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Broth have you tried the bar in Philly that he resuced?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat316 View Post
Broth have you tried the bar in Philly that he resuced?
I haven't been to Downey's since it got rescued. I went a few times before they IIRC the pizza oven wasn't installed yet though most of those times and then one Saint Patrick's day with some friends one year.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They also apparently did "Swanky Bubbles" I remember one time a friend said "How bout Swanky Bubbles" because it was different but it had a really bad rep so we didn't go there.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 07-07-2013, 10:09 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dexter...

Old 07-07-2013, 11:15 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I watched a few episodes of Bar Rescue one night and thought it was somewhat entertaining. Then I watched a couple more and became ******* annoyed in the same way I am watching any scripted procedural drama show. It's always the same formulaic nonsense.

It's just manufactured, petty and undeniably bogus conflict created for the sake of overly-dramatic moments to allow Jon Taffer to yell and yell like a lunatic.

If the show focused more on the actual business of creating successful bars and less on the asinine personal feuds between employees (that half the time seem too absurd to not be completely fake), then it might be a show worth watching.

Each episode could be boiled down to 10 minutes of actually watch-worthy content. A third of the show is recapping what we've already been told (basically after every commercial break they repeat everything) and another third is talking heads from the employees that couldn't be less compelling.
And with that formula you have your standard half hour show.

Does anyone watch Under the Dome? I've seen the first couple, and for now I'm planning on watching it. It hasn't been anything special, but it definitely has me interested in at least seeing what the **** the dome is. Anything but aliens please.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Last edited by Smooth Criminal : 07-07-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

But with that said most shows that are episodic follow a formula. Bar Rescue isn't unique in that regard.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 07-07-2013, 11:41 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've seen one episode of Bar Rescue. That was enough. It's a less-good and less-interesting version of Kitchen Nightmares.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:42 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
And with that formula you have your standard half hour show.

Does anyone watch Under the Dome? I've seen the first couple, and for now I'm planning on watching it. It hasn't been anything special, but it definitely has me interested in at least seeing what the **** the dome is. Anything but aliens please.
I saw the first episode and it was solid. I'm not holding my breath and hoping for some amazing omg reveals, but I'll keep watching it because I don't have much else to watch atm.

And Bar Rescue did an episode about a bar in the town I grew up in. After 10 minutes I couldn't watch any more.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:22 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Liking Ray Donovan so far.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:23 AM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
Liking Ray Donovan so far.
I'm finding it kind of underwhelming and formulaic at the moment, but I'm definitely hoping it picks up.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love the cast of Ray Donovan, but I gotta agree.. kind of.. meh. Dexter followed by Ray Donovan, Sunday night is meh night on SHOTIME!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

5 episodes of Fringe left.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post

Under the Dome is a goddamn abomination. It's so laughably bad. I watched the first two episodes just for the hell of it and will surely be skipping the rest and recommitting to my vow to discredit and bash CBS at all times.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Two days until 'The Bridge' debuts on F/X.

Count me in, though I may not watch it immediately. It's nice to let a few episodes of a new show build up on the DVR so I can watch them consecutively and get a feel for it.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:50 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Under the Dome is a goddamn abomination. It's so laughably bad. I watched the first two episodes just for the hell of it and will surely be skipping the rest and recommitting to my vow to discredit and bash CBS at all times.
I watched the first 2 episodes. I'm going to plan on watching a couple more, but ya, it's really hard to take so far.

I came into it under the assumption it was just going to be a mini-series based on the novel, but I've now read that it will be a full season and might be stretching it into at least 1 more season? I don't understand how that will work, just make it an entertaining miniseries like the rest of the Stephen King books.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I watched the first 2 episodes. I'm going to plan on watching a couple more, but ya, it's really hard to take so far.

I came into it under the assumption it was just going to be a mini-series based on the novel, but I've now read that it will be a full season and might be stretching it into at least 1 more season? I don't understand how that will work, just make it an entertaining miniseries like the rest of the Stephen King books.
The psycho boyfriend character is the most over-the-top, overly-dramatic, over-acted performance I have ever seen. I can't take anything about the show seriously with that guy. I just laugh every time he's on screen.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The psycho boyfriend character is the most over-the-top, overly-dramatic, over-acted performance I have ever seen. I can't take anything about the show seriously with that guy. I just laugh every time he's on screen.
Agreed. The acting in general is not that great, but there's a few characters I think could be good (Big Jim, the smart kid).

The premise is great and could be awesome for like a 10 episode miniseries. But with the acting and how little they appear to have progressed from the pilot to episode 2, I'm not holding my breath. They seem to be setting up for a longer run.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 07-08-2013, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

It's just painfully cliche. I expect way more out of a show, even one I'm electing to watch as mindless short-lived entertainment.

Moving along ...
Old 07-08-2013, 02:06 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Yes, moving along to TV actually worth discussing...

Up until last night I haven't watch any episodes of Mad Men. My roommate was catching up on this season, so I watched a few episodes with him. Definitely entertaining and found myself just constantly thinking how awesome Don Draper is. I don't think I can watch it like episode after episode all in a short period like I can with other shows, but I may start periodically watching from the beginning.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 07-08-2013, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Yes, moving along to TV actually worth discussing...

Up until last night I haven't watch any episodes of Mad Men. My roommate was catching up on this season, so I watched a few episodes with him. Definitely entertaining and found myself just constantly thinking how awesome Don Draper is. I don't think I can watch it like episode after episode all in a short period like I can with other shows, but I may start periodically watching from the beginning.
If you think Season 6 Don Draper is "awesome," then you'll be pleased with how he was toward the beginning of the series, haha.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have fond memories of marathoning Mad Men and sipping bourbon.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:24 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
If you think Season 6 Don Draper is "awesome," then you'll be pleased with how he was toward the beginning of the series, haha.
Excellent.

Like I said, I had almost nothing invested in it and watched a couple current episodes and it was entertaining. There were a couple points where I was just like ya, whatever and stopped paying attention for a couple minutes. I will probably watch off and on just to watch Don Draper.

Not that I'm comparing the shows in any way, shape, or form, but I feel like it's going to be similar to Entourage for me. Just watch a few episodes at a time just for Ari scenes and the occasional other badassary, otherwise meh.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 07-08-2013, 02:33 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any one watching Big Brother this season? Long shot. But have to ask.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Excellent.

Like I said, I had almost nothing invested in it and watched a couple current episodes and it was entertaining. There were a couple points where I was just like ya, whatever and stopped paying attention for a couple minutes. I will probably watch off and on just to watch Don Draper.

Not that I'm comparing the shows in any way, shape, or form, but I feel like it's going to be similar to Entourage for me. Just watch a few episodes at a time just for Ari scenes and the occasional other badassary, otherwise meh.
Mad Men is pretty much the opposite of Entourage. There are many great characters besides Don and really everything about the show is spectacular. One of the best television shows of all time.

If you are not watching from the beginning you will never appreciate how great the show is. It's like starting to watch a great movie when it is almost over, not being invested in the characters, and really not understanding the meaning behind most of the things going on.