Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:46 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What top five teams consistently had a good D in the 2000's?

Just throwing this out there. What teams were able to maintain a good defense throughout the past decade. I'm curious to see your "rankings".

1. Ravens
2. Steelers
3. Eagles
4. Patriots
5. Buccaneers

I feel like the Buccaneers fell off a bit towards the end of the decade. Same with the Patriots. If I had another spot I'd probably put the Bears or Giants. The Dolphins were good in the earlier part of the decade, but crumbled afterward.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 07-30-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:45 AM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chicago seemed to always be good especially with grabbing turnovers.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:37 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steelers, Ravens, Bears are the big three that come to mind when it comes to consistency. San Diego, Dallas, Philly, Jets and a bunch of other teams seem to have been sporadic in the 2000s, i feel like a lot of people forget about SD but it had a few years of beasliness.

Then you have the Vikings who were always near the top in run defense
Old 07-30-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh are the easy answers. Id def throw Chicago in there. The Eagles D in the Jim Johnson/Brian Dawkins days were great. Ill throw Carolina out there as the fifth team. I wonder what they could have done if they werent stuck with Delhomme at QB all those years.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy Picks View Post
Baltimore and Pittsburgh are the easy answers. Id def throw Chicago in there. The Eagles D in the Jim Johnson/Brian Dawkins days were great. Ill throw Carolina out there as the fifth team. I wonder what they could have done if they werent stuck with Delhomme at QB all those years.
Carolina could have done a lot worse then Jake all those years. Like they were before he was their starter.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Carolina could have done a lot worse then Jake all those years. Like they were before he was their starter.
Delhomme had one or two good years and that one good playoff run, besides that, he was awful. they just never brought in any quality competition.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy Picks View Post
Delhomme had one or two good years and that one good playoff run, besides that, he was awful. they just never brought in any quality competition.
I feel he had three, arguably four good seasons with two good playoff runs. And when he wasn't in the lineup, well that is what what we saw what "awful" was with the likes of Chris Weinke or Rodney Pete starting games and the Panthers having virtually no chance at winning on offense. A lot of teams would have killed to have Jake Delhomme as their starter compared to what they had under center during those days. He wasn't a mega star, but he was a decent quarterback.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 AM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not including the Bears seems like a pretty enormous oversight. They're top 3.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:53 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
I feel he had three, arguably four good seasons with two good playoff runs. And when he wasn't in the lineup, well that is what what we saw what "awful" was with the likes of Chris Weinke or Rodney Pete starting games and the Panthers having virtually no chance at winning on offense. A lot of teams would have killed to have Jake Delhomme as their starter compared to what they had under center during those days. He wasn't a mega star, but he was a decent quarterback.

gotta disagree with you. He was most definitely among the bottom 5 starting quarterbacks in the league. maybe you forgot about his meltdowns? or his noodle arm? I was a believer in him after their run to the Super Bowl, but I eventually came to terms w/ that the Panthers were never gonna go anywhere w/ him at QB, and they didnt. I dont know what second playoff run you are referring to. He had the one year where they almost won the SB, he was pretty awful in the playoffs besides that from what i remember. And peete and weinke kinda make the point im going after which is the only reason he kept starting for carolina was they didnt bring in any kind of competition at the position.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Delhomme had that surge in 2004 and then fell apart around early 2008, due to injury of his forearm.

He was never anything special, but he was seriously under rated in that 3 year stretch.

OT: Ravens, Steelers, Bears, Eagles, and Patriots.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Patriots defense slowly started becoming mediocre once all of Parcells players started retiring.

That's one thing a lot of people forget, Bellichick won SBs with a team that was largely comprised of players drafted by Parcells. McGinnest, Vrabel, Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Ty Law, Adam Viniateri, lots of key players were Parcells guys.

That's taking nothing away from Bellichick, bc he went to 2 more SBs and was very close to a perfect season with his own cast of players.

But the defense fell off after 2006.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
The Patriots defense slowly started becoming mediocre once all of Parcells players started retiring.

That's one thing a lot of people forget, Bellichick won SBs with a team that was largely comprised of players drafted by Parcells. McGinnest, Vrabel, Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Ty Law, Adam Viniateri, lots of key players were Parcells guys.

That's taking nothing away from Bellichick, bc he went to 2 more SBs and was very close to a perfect season with his own cast of players.

But the defense fell off after 2006.
The Patriots were still among the league's best in turnovers and points allowed, with exceptions in a few years (and those years were when the Patriots were putting up 50 a week).
Old 07-31-2013, 10:17 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I crunched the numbers. I won't give you my formula cause it's mine and nuts to you, but here's what I got.

1) Baltimore- They were pretty good at defense.

2) Pittsburgh

3) New England

4) Tampa Bay

5) Chicago

6) Philadelphia

7) Jacksonville

8) New York Jets

9) Miami

10 Green Bay

There's a pretty steep dropoff after 6 in terms of being consistently good. Some of the names being thrown around make no sense at all, but people are seriously sleeping on some of those early Jacksonville defenses. They just never had **** for offense.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 PM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Just throwing this out there. What teams were able to maintain a good defense throughout the past decade. I'm curious to see your "rankings".

1. Ravens
2. Steelers
3. Eagles
4. Patriots
5. Buccaneers

I feel like the Buccaneers fell off a bit towards the end of the decade. Same with the Patriots. If I had another spot I'd probably put the Bears or Giants. The Dolphins were good in the earlier part of the decade, but crumbled afterward.

Yea the Bucs started their run in the late 90s and fell off in 2008 when Kiffin left. But they had a top five ranked defense 8 out of 10 years during that span.
kBuc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:37 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I crunched the numbers. I won't give you my formula cause it's mine and nuts to you, but here's what I got.

1) Baltimore- They were pretty good at defense.

2) Pittsburgh

3) New England

4) Tampa Bay

5) Chicago

6) Philadelphia

7) Jacksonville

8) New York Jets

9) Miami

10 Green Bay

There's a pretty steep dropoff after 6 in terms of being consistently good. Some of the names being thrown around make no sense at all, but people are seriously sleeping on some of those early Jacksonville defenses. They just never had **** for offense.
Stroud and Henderson were absolute earthquakes in the middle and Mathis was a top 5 corner. They could never find a pass rusher worth a damn though
Old 07-31-2013, 11:09 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
Stroud and Henderson were absolute earthquakes in the middle and Mathis was a top 5 corner. They could never find a pass rusher worth a damn though
Henderson and Stroud..... Thats memories.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:28 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Delhomme stunk. Give Steve Smith even an average quarterback and he's a lock for Canton.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:07 AM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eagles under Jim Johnson. That man could coach.
superman8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:36 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ravens were pretty good through out the 2000s. They did a great job developing talent, signing cheap vets in specific roles, and letting the right guys go. Only the irreplaceable guys generally got paid.A lot of others left for pay days and never really lived up to their contracts.

Shout out to Kelly Gregg. He played 9 hard years at NT and rarely missed time. Great run stopper for a long time and a really underrated dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:15 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman8456 View Post
Eagles under Jim Johnson. That man could coach.
Yeah he was one of my favorite coaches.

Quote:
Old 08-01-2013, 05:43 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ravens and Steelers are the only real standouts to me, at least based on my memories and impressions.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
Ravens were pretty good through out the 2000s. They did a great job developing talent, signing cheap vets in specific roles, and letting the right guys go. Only the irreplaceable guys generally got paid.A lot of others left for pay days and never really lived up to their contracts.

Shout out to Kelly Gregg. He played 9 hard years at NT and rarely missed time. Great run stopper for a long time and a really underrated dude.

Kelly Gregg was such a boss. It says a lot when a guy like Rex Ryan is in love w/you.

Speaking of the Ravens defenses the 2006 defense will probably be the best defense no one ever remembers. I still get pissed thinking about how we held Manning to 0 TDs and 5 FGs and we some how lost. Ed Reed was out of his mind with 2 INTs it would have been 4 but Ray Lewis was playing so good he deflected the passes before they went into Ed Reeds hands.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:17 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That 2006 defense was sick.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Kelly Gregg was such a boss. It says a lot when a guy like Rex Ryan is in love w/you.

Speaking of the Ravens defenses the 2006 defense will probably be the best defense no one ever remembers. I still get pissed thinking about how we held Manning to 0 TDs and 5 FGs and we some how lost. Ed Reed was out of his mind with 2 INTs it would have been 4 but Ray Lewis was playing so good he deflected the passes before they went into Ed Reeds hands.
yea i remember that game. I think that was the game i concluded Rex Ryan was the best defensive mind in football. He had Reed backing way up presnap and taking away anything deep and Manning didnt know what to do and then of course Reed would choose the perfect time to break on short routes. Was it Steve McNair at QB for the Ravens that year? its too bad they couldnt get a legit QB until the tail-end of Ray and Eds careers.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
That 2006 defense was sick.
So many great players in that unit. Trevor Pryce and Adalius Thomas where ragdolling offensive linemen all year long. It was a thing of beauty.