Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Al Wilson officially released.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Who will replace him?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:47 PM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

JCutlery hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
D.J. Williams will likely be moved to the middle and Cameron Vaughn/Nate Webster will be the starter at SAM. Some competition will likely be thrown in come draft weekend.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:49 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

I know usually fans of other teams looking in don't know everything about a teams sitaution. For example Chargers fans don't view Donnie Edwards as big of a loss as some other team's fans do. For Broncos fans, do you think this is a major loss, or was Wilson losing effectiveness and more of just a team leader at this point?
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
I know usually fans of other teams looking in don't know everything about a teams sitaution. For example Chargers fans don't view Donnie Edwards as big of a loss as some other team's fans do. For Broncos fans, do you think this is a major loss, or was Wilson losing effectiveness and more of just a team leader at this point?
thats a great question that I would like to know as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

I think it is a huge loss to Denver. His leadership was second to only a few. Luckily they have some good veterans that comand just as much respect on that D to get them a fairly easy transition.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 PM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
From talent standpoint: Not a huge loss. Like I said earlier, Williams is capable of moving inside and we need a good SAM linebacker anyway, as DJ never fit that bill.

From a leadership standpoint: HUGE loss. Someone will need to step up as leader of the front-seven..
Old 04-24-2007, 09:36 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCutlery View Post
From talent standpoint: Not a huge loss. Like I said earlier, Williams is capable of moving inside and we need a good SAM linebacker anyway, as DJ never fit that bill.

From a leadership standpoint: HUGE loss. Someone will need to step up as leader of the front-seven..
Alright thanks, I thought that would probably be the situation. Who do you think will fill that leadership role on the D?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco99
Veteran

Denver Bronco99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I mean a huge loss in the fact that he was a very talented...but throw in his leadership and WOW its a BIG LOSS....but DJ is every bit as talented plus some....and we do have some good players in webster and the new guy in vaughn...so we will have to see how they work out....

but it is a big loss...but bates will find a way to make it all work
Old 04-24-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Al Wilson is a great player. Although if his neck is that bad he might not be what he was. Either way, huge loss leadership-wise. It was him and Lynch as the vocal leaders of the D. Gold might be able to step in and assume the role, although he blows. Well not really, but still. I would not be opposed to dumping Gold's ass and picking up a guy like David Harris at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 AM    (permalink
Denver Bronco99
Veteran

Denver Bronco99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i honestly think we have had a great OFFSEASON...and if wilson is unable to paly then we didnt lose anything..a.s the last couple weeks he was benched and he was missing takles left and right. So obviously he was hurt bad enough to have to cut him
Old 04-25-2007, 09:33 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
"missing tackles left and right" - what games were you watching? or maybe you were seeing gold and just thought it was wilson.

but yeah, we didn't really lose much. only our best LBer year in and year out in exchange for an overpriced blocking end, an overpriced CB, an overpriced back-up QB, and another cleveland cast-off. hot.

but yeah, we got a running back. GREAT offseason.
Where does this put linebacker on the Broncos draft radar now, or do they have any talent at all on the bench to come in?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:53 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I heard Jon Clayton saying on ESPN, that NYG and the Bills are intersted in him.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

ok, the bengals need him. sign him to play until thurman comes back, please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portermvp84 View Post
I heard Jon Clayton saying on ESPN, that NYG and the Bills are intersted in him.
He failed the Giants physical so I don't think they would be interested in him.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:21 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
it could go either way. denver has addressed LBer even less frequently in the draft than DL, however the broncos do have a decent history of getting their starter through the draft. if the right guy is in range, i could see us taking one in the first (or second if someone falls). if he's not, it wouldn't surprise me to see the position go unaddressed.
Do you think there's any chance we cut him as a cap move and are planning to re-sign him for a lower price? I sure hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:41 AM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

Quote:
cutlery: how is it not a massive loss talent wise? we're starting nate fricking webster instead (as of right now). yeah, minor stepdown talent-wise. or something.
We were crowded at LB anyway, as DJ wasn't getting any opportunites in the nickel packages. I think Al will be easily replaced talent-wise. I already explained that (Williams is moved to the middle and we draft a true SAM).. It's the leadership that we'll have trouble replacing.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:42 AM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

Quote:
i know that was rumored intent, but i somehow doubt we'll get him to come back for cheap, especially given that there's interest from other teams, and imo, he hasn't really lost any skill (age would be the only factor i see here).
Maybe next year, but I doubt Wilson plays this year at all..
Old 04-25-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

Quote:
i'd like to see you quote 5 people who agree with you.
How about Al himself.. Did you watch his final press conference?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:50 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Addressing LB 1st round maybe and DE 2nd round?
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:53 AM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

Quote:
jesus h christ. how is this difficult? with wilson gone, moving williams to the middle means we're still bloody losing a starting linebacker.
Do you read posts before you angerily respond to them?

DJ replaces Al.

Then we draft a SAM, which we've needed all along. It's not that hard to understand.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:54 AM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

Quote:
*yawn*

yeah, just like i saw eddie kennison's when he retired from denver.
Dude, I gave you a logical response. Get over yourself..
Old 04-25-2007, 11:00 AM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

Quote:
do you think before you post things that aren't relevant or true?
Yes, yes I do.

WE NEED A LB THAT CAN COVER TIGHT ENDS. AND WE HAVE ALWAYS NEEDED THAT. DJ REPLACES AL WILSON, THEREFORE THERE IS NO BIG TALENT DROPOFF.

Does all caps help you read? Just wondering..
Old 04-25-2007, 11:01 AM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

Quote:
and i told you that your "logical response" was irrelevant based on past events. should i assume this is how you'll always respond when people disagree with you and don't sugarcoat it? either come back with something else or admit you were wrong, don't whine that i'm not nice.
Yeah, Kennison's situation was much different. Nice try, though.

And I think I would take the words out of Al Wilson's mouth over your comparison with a past event...

Last edited by JCutlery : 04-25-2007 at 11:05 AM.
JCutlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:14 AM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

Quote:
again, please read. al wilson was a top 5 MLB. DJ Williams could be a top 5 mlb. NO ONE WE DRAFT WILL BE A TOP 5 LB. that's called losing talent. but hey, if DJ couldn't cover TE's (remember, you said WE NEED A LB THAT CAN COVER TIGHT ENDS implying that we don't have one), i'm sure nearly every linebacker in the draft this year can. especially given that DJ is one of the most atheltic linebackers in the league. is this really that hard for you to follow, or do you think that repeating over and over that a rookie linebacker will be better than al wilson will somehow make it true?

are you honestly deluded enough to believe that, say, lawrence timmons or jon beason are better players than wilson?
Jesus christ man, my point is based on two things.

1. DJ was rendered useless as a SAM backer. He didn't fit, he couldn't cover LBs as well, he didn't play in the nickel packages, etc. Just because he's highly athletic doesn't mean he's a good fit. We move him to Al's position, and in my opinion, there's not a big dropoff in talent.

2. We find a true SAM, whether it's within our organization (Cameron Vaughn has been mentioned) or draft one on the first day. Stewart Bradley/Quincy Black/etc. Any of these guys would be a more effective SAM than DJ ever was.

It's more about finding a true replacement for DJ, not Al.

Last edited by JCutlery : 04-25-2007 at 11:21 AM.
JCutlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:18 AM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

Quote:
how, exactly, was kennison's situation different?

but yeah, i ALWAYS believe a player will retire after or just before he's going to be cut just because he says he will. just like i always believe what teams say about who they intend to draft right before the draft. i mean, it makes complete logical sense. people never say things they don't mean because of emotion, nor are they ever tempted out of retirement by petty things like money.
Kennison did not suffer a potentially career-ending injury.

Al hasn't been cleared by any doctors to play, and he says he's not worrying about football, he's just living his life. Maybe this injury is a lot worse than you think.