Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-22-2013, 07:43 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I was debating doing the full black simply due to cost.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Yeah, I was debating doing the full black simply due to cost.
10% off. Not bad for just a change in color.

But then the other side of it is, do you really want to go for something that's not your first choice just for $8?

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:53 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Ga...lantronics+777

I have had those for about four years and I love them.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm strongly considering these after a bit of research: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00365EA1Q/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hhmsquiddiscount-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creati veASIN=B00365EA1Q

I've had a TON of success with a lot of Steelseries products. Always quality, simple, and reliable. Price is pretty good. They were rated in a few places as one of the best headsets overall despite being relatively cheap compared to $150-200 pairs.

Not thrilled about the $80 price tag but I think it will be worth it since they are supposedly super comfy.
Was about to recommend these if you were looking at a "pricey" set. My friend back home has them and raves about them.

If you keep your eye out for deals you'll spend a lot less though. Creative Fatal1ty are on sale every now and again for about $40 or as Cain recommended Plantronics tend to be great build quality.

I have a set that was flung off the desk by my dog and then stepped on and it was no worse for wear. Problem for me is the set I have are probably the heaviest set of cans I have ever owned which is a major downer for me.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:54 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Ga...lantronics+777

I have had those for about four years and I love them.
I use these same headphones
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've used these for a long time and I love em to death:

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Megalodo...zer+headphones

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Played a game of Civ 5 last night.

Early Liberty social policy path + Tradition right after = OP for sprawling empires. The production/food bonuses so valuable for city growth. I'm so far ahead of everyone else in science+military, it's insane. Playing on a 5 difficulty on Fractal map w/ Spain. Those Conquistadors are f'ing awesome.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ended up going going with the Steelseries because it had rave reviews and was reasonably priced. Appreciate the help though!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:07 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Most pros I see have Siberia's.

I like my 5h v2 headset that I've had for like 5 years.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Alan Wake is an amazing game and if you haven't played it you're WRONG.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This has been dead for a week? What is wrong with you people?

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finally got around to playing Mirror's Edge and don't know what I've been doing with my life. I definitely see why it's on virtually every game developer's must-play list. Haven't quite finished it.

Also, my friend pre-ordered Payday 2 and gave me a beta key. It's gratuitous fun, but I won't purchase the game as I'm sure the novelty will wear off quickly.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
You left us and we followed

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:47 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
You are the life blood of the PC gaming thread.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Ended up going going with the Steelseries because it had rave reviews and was reasonably priced. Appreciate the help though!
My brother is looking for a new headset. How do you like the Steelseries?

I'm looking for one too, but with a baby on the way it isn't much of an option.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
My brother is looking for a new headset. How do you like the Steelseries?

I'm looking for one too, but with a baby on the way it isn't much of an option.
I love it. So comfy. I wore it for 4-5 hours the other day and it didn't bother me at all. One issue I get with a lot of larger headsets is your ears will get really warm. Haven't had that issue.

Steelseries is probably my favorite company for keyboards/headsets/mouse pads/etc. I don't think I could go away from a Logitech mouse though. Just so durable and reliable.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I need you to get unbanned from DayZ Forenci. I have stuff to put in your lvl 3 that I'm unfortunately sticking in one of the tents for now.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow missed playing DayZ for a few days and I must have missed something O_o
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Still lurking around! Figured I would chime in on gaming headsets. You guys are killing me with this stuff haha. Bit of a rant incoming.

There's better solutions out there rather than paying companies that make plastic enclosures for computer peripherals for audio technology. I went through a few different headsets a while back(one from Steelseries, one from Turtle Beach) and have walked away feeling absolutely ripped off. I've tried quite a few that friends have as well and have walked away with the same impression. They simply do not compare to similarly priced(and often way cheaper) headphones. The difference in both build and audio quality is drastic. I've come to learn that there really is no such thing as "gaming headphones". Good headphones are simply good headphones. The only things you get when buying a headset is the convenience of an attached mic and a few marketing buzzwords printed on the back of the box.

That's not to say that there aren't features from headphones that might be beneficial to you if you're playing competitive shooters/gaming. The commonly touted "surround sound" feature(more than two drivers) in a lot of the more high end headsets is actually a terrible way to do audio and is much better done through software(Razer released some for free recently and it's a common feature with soundcards), both in terms of how effective it is for competitive footstep listening and overall audio quality. As an added benefit, these are things you have control over if you ever want to shut them off...which you probably will want to for things besides gaming.

What you're really looking for in terms of adio for gaming is a pair of headphones with a wide soundstage(extremely subjective term, but a sense of space, ability to place sounds in a given direction) and maybe a little bit of extra bass for effect if you're into that(this will oftentimes come at the expense of detail in some areas, comes down to personal preference).

In terms of a mic, you really don't have to be all that spendy with it if you're just trying to match the quality coming from gaming headsets. A sub $10 desktop mic will give you the same voice quality. As an added benefit, it's not in the way all the time. If you really do need something attached to the actual headphone, a cheap clip on mic and some heatshrink tube will do the same thing and avoid wire clutter.

Amazon has a pretty good all in one solution available, actually.

http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668...dp/B003JOETX8/

Not sure if it shows up for everyone, but for me it lists the headphones, a clip on mic, and a soundcard for $85 shipped. That's hundreds less than you would pay for a gaming headset with similar sound quality(which I have yet to find/don't believe exists) with added advantage of tons of additional functionality. Those are a pretty damn solid pair of headphones(2/2 in terms of desirable gaming features) there as well. The soundcard is a nice bargain too, with a dedicated headphone amp and Dolby Headphone compatibility.

Sorry if that was a bit of a rant and I'm certainly not trying to talk down to anyone...this is just something that I have a bit of experience with. I really feel like gaming headsets are a scam. They've tricked people into accepting cheap build quality and an inferior audio solution for a premium price.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Wow missed playing DayZ for a few days and I must have missed something O_o
Haha yeah, was basically a mix up by the admins that could have easily be solved if they had just asked me something. Not to mention our base had been getting base camped and ruined by hackers and they pretty much refused to do anything.

Also, EE, I disagree quite a bit. There is such thing as a great gaming headset. All just depends on your preference. My Steelseries meets all my qualifications: comfort, durability, reliability, simplicity, quality sound, and directional sound that indicates where that sound is coming from. Works like a charm for me.

Perhaps I just have lower standards I suppose?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also, EE, I disagree quite a bit. There is such thing as a great gaming headset. All just depends on your preference. My Steelseries meets all my qualifications: comfort, durability, reliability, simplicity, quality sound, and directional sound that indicates where that sound is coming from. Works like a charm for me.

Perhaps I just have lower standards I suppose?
I guess I could be a bit of a snob haha. I've just never been able to find a headset that I actually liked. Maybe that comes from some prior experience with somewhat higher end audio equipment(my father is an entry level audiophile and I guess it rubbed off an me a bit), but it never really made sense to buy something from from a computer company that dabbles in audio when you can get something from a reputable audio brand like Sennheiser for a similar price or cheaper. Headsets from PC peripheral companies tend to use extremely cheap drivers compared to those used by those who just do audio. It's like buying a monitor from a case company.

Don't think I'm alone in that either. If you look around at what people who are pretty serious about audio think of gaming headsets, you'll find that they typically aren't well received in those circles and tend to perform worse in testing. That's sort of like 40 yard dash times though, useful metric, but not the end all be all unless you have some weird headphone benchmarking fetish.

It doesn't really matter at the end of the day, but it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that people will put endless amounts of research into building a computer and then take the easier way out with gaming headsets. Headphones can be a bit confusing with the bevvy of options out there and the subculture you'll have to sift through for information, but it really isn't that bad once you penetrate the first wall. I know I'm a lot happier with my HD 598's(which I have to admit, are a bit too expensive and more than a bit of an indulgence on my part) and a soundcard than I was with headsets. Most people who have used my setup are as well.

TL:DR

You just aren't going to get what you pay for with gaming headsets in terms of audio quality or usually build quality either. Other options exist that should be considered and you'll likely have a better experience with. Gaming headsets are slightly more convenient, but that's the only real advantage they have.

Moving on; anyone else here with a mechanical keyboard? I was able to get my hands on one recently and have quite enjoyed it. MX Brown Switches, which I prefer to some of the others I tried before deciding on this one. Nice middle ground between blues(which are insanely clicky) and the other switch types without being too loud.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

My friend is in love with his CM Storm
Old 07-30-2013, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I mean, I could see if you're into high-end audio how it might not be up to par, but personally they do they job I need them to and also do not put me at any disadvantage for competitive gaming so for me that's more than enough. I'm not very picky, mind you, expect when it comes to directional sound/comfort.

I'm loving my Steelseries keyboard. MX Cherry switches. For me it's perfect. I had the clicky/tactile keyboards so this one is quiet and is smooth. Requires almost no pressure to use too.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:34 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

EQN reveal livestream today! 26 minutes!

Old 08-02-2013, 01:37 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since this was bumped...

XCOM = amazing.