Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Rams are close to signing Will Witherspoon. I hope this comes to fruition.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-...4121--nfl.html
Old 07-22-2013, 01:38 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love the signing of Witherspoon. Love his leadership.

Man football season is right around the corner. Going to be some great battles in Training camp. Running backs should be fun to watch, wonder if Pead will turn into what he can be and take last year as a learning period and take it as motivation for this year or if he'll just be a guy on a roster.

I think I'm rooting for Stacy.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:30 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Love the signing of Witherspoon. Love his leadership.

Man football season is right around the corner. Going to be some great battles in Training camp. Running backs should be fun to watch, wonder if Pead will turn into what he can be and take last year as a learning period and take it as motivation for this year or if he'll just be a guy on a roster.

I think I'm rooting for Stacy.
You were calling Stacy's name a lot last year...now that it actually came to fruition I am warming up to the pick more and more. He gets a lot of comparisons to Ray Rice; is that mainly because of their almost identical statures? I hope the similarities go beyond that.

The guy I am really going to be pulling for is Quick. He had a huge learning curve, coming from no playbook in college to a thick fatty in the pros. If he can find some success this year, the sky could be the limit. There really are few players with his size/speed/skillset.

And I really love the way Fisher/Snead have gone about building this team. Its as though they took each squad on the team, prioritized them, and addressed their needs in corresponding order. We have shown strong gradual improvement, whereas a lot of teams soar quickly and then drop hard in year 2, thus slowing the upward momentum. I still think we are a year away from being a real contender, but I think we have more success this year. I see us winning 9-10 games. More than that, I see us being competitive every week and not losing big.

And yes...I too am EXTREMELY excited for football...more than I have been in a solid 10 years!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

The Seahawks have signed TE Michael Palmer and, in the process, released rookie safety Ray Polk (Colorado). Polk is a heavy hitter, probably to a fault. Coverage skills are questionable, as is the case with most young safeties. Still, I wouldn't mind bringing him into camp to see if he offers something we don't already have.

While the big hitters aren't always the smartest players, in terms of decision-making, they do tend to be really competitive, which can raise the intensity level of everyone around them.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
The Seahawks have signed TE Michael Palmer and, in the process, released rookie safety Ray Polk (Colorado). Polk is a heavy hitter, probably to a fault. Coverage skills are questionable, as is the case with most young safeties. Still, I wouldn't mind bringing him into camp to see if he offers something we don't already have.

While the big hitters aren't always the smartest players, in terms of decision-making, they do tend to be really competitive, which can raise the intensity level of everyone around them.
I've heard that Darrien Stewart is a big hitter though he is not all that big.

But, what about TJ McDonald? He certainly has the size and athleticism to lay the wood. At least that is the impression I have from reading about his game.

What do you think about McDonald as an enforcer type?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rok Watkins is being waived by the Rams; word is he reported over his target weight.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:31 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyRamsFan View Post
I've heard that Darrien Stewart is a big hitter though he is not all that big.

But, what about TJ McDonald? He certainly has the size and athleticism to lay the wood. At least that is the impression I have from reading about his game.

What do you think about McDonald as an enforcer type?
I was just thinking, the more competition at the safety position, the better.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Rok Watkins is being waived by the Rams; word is he reported over his target weight.
Yeah, I kinda had a feeling he wasn't working out. Besides, we needed to make room for when we bring in Brandon Moore. (Wishful thinking, I know)
Old 07-24-2013, 11:55 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was just thinking, the more competition at the safety position, the better.
Well, you got your wish. The Rams signed Rashard Hall of Clemson today.

He has good size (6'1", 210 lbs.) and was a four year starter for the Tigers.

Last edited by ArkyRamsFan : 07-25-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Well, you got your wish. The Rams signed Rashard Hall of Clemson today.

He has good size (6'1", 210 lbs.) and was a four year starter for the Tigers.
I saw that. He had 4 picks as a senior. Maybe a gem in the rough?
Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

Quote:
I saw that. He had 4 picks as a senior. Maybe a gem in the rough?
Heh!! And don't forget the SIX picks he had as a redshirt freshman. I'm kinda putting this guy in the Cody Davis category of wondering why somebody didn't draft him somewhere in this last draft.

He certainly has the size and production to have warranted a 7th round pick, IMO.

WHAT SAY YE?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Early nuggets I'm gleaming from a couple reports from the first day of camp...

-Bradford looks sharp, deep passing game already seeing some work
-Austin is as advertised, Bailey had a nice deep catch
-Secondary and OL had some shaky moments
-Pead is getting every chance to win the starting RB job
-DL picking up where it left off last year
Old 07-29-2013, 03:36 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Early nuggets I'm gleaming from a couple reports from the first day of camp...

-Bradford looks sharp, deep passing game already seeing some work
-Austin is as advertised, Bailey had a nice deep catch
-Secondary and OL had some shaky moments
-Pead is getting every chance to win the starting RB job
-DL picking up where it left off last year
I hear Brockers is an absolute animal out there. Also heard some good things on Cory Harkey.

I'm glad to hear Pead is getting the first crack at it. Hopefully he takes advantage of the opportunity. From what I've been reading it sounds like he's had a nice first couple of days, I know he went down with an injury a day or two ago.

I read that Brian Quick had probably his best practice as a pro a few days ago. Man if he can develop into that Vincent Jackson type, which I think is a fair comparison.....This offense is going to be fun to watch.

But i'll try not to smoke to much over the first few practices.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I have been on pins and needles scanning the sports pages in hopes that, as each day goes by, no Rams have been seriously injured in training camp. So far so good. There have been several key players around the league go down with serious injuries already. If the Rams just have a few guys sit out a practice here and there to "play it safe" then I am totally okay with that.

I too am really happy to hear that Quick is having a strong camp. He is the type of big, fast receiver that could really elevate our passing game to a whole new level.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:59 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

So Jim Thomas has has said Pead looks no better than he did last year, Doesn't even list Stedman as a top 4 WR, says Pettis and Givens have looked the best.....When from other people all I've been hearing is how Pead looks completely different than last year and how Pettis looks the same, #4 or #5 type wideout and that Givens is having a slow camp so far.

This is why I hate training camp. one set of eyes can see something totally different than another set of eyes. Plus it's tough to judge these guys in practice when you aren't really sure what it is exactly you're looking for.

Things it seems everyone is in agreement on...

1. Michael Brockers can't be blocked.
2. TJ Mcdonald has been the best Rookie in camp
3. Sam and Cook have a nice connection
4. Janoris and Trumaine are really doing well
5. Cory Harkey and Andrew Helmick have been impressive (look out Mike Mcneal and Nick Johnson?)
6. (and probably most important....Looks like Saffold has made a smooth transition over to the right side)

Interesting stuff on Pead...

in 2007 Chris Henry was also drafted 50th overall by the Titans, drafted by Coach Fisher he struggled in his first season and in his 2nd year he had every opportunity to win the starting job getting just as many touches as 2008 1st rounder Chris Johnson got in the first 2 preseason games. So it's good to see Fisher is at least not throwing Pead at the end of the line and burying him behind guys where he has no chance. If Pead doesn't win the starting job he has no one to blame but himself and I love that. I hope he proves a lot of Rams fans wrong.

Other stuff I looked up cuz I'm bored....

CJ Spiller: 5'11 197
40-time: 4.37 (combine)
broad jump: 10'1 (pro day)
3-cone: 6.85 (proday)
10 yards: 1.48 (pro day)

Isaiah Pead: 5'10 196
40 time: 4.47 (combine) 4.39 (proday)
broad jump: 9'8 (combine)
3-cone: 6.96 (combine)
10 yards: 1.49 (combine)

Pretty similar when you consider most of CJ Spiller's numbers were put up at his pro day, where you're going to see better numbers.

CJ Spiller rookie season (9th overall pick)
74 carries, 283 yards, 3.8 YPC, 20Y longest
- Seven carries of over 10 yards.

And look what he's become now in the league. Not saying Pead will be on Spiller's level.

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 08-01-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:17 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

http://www.nfl.com/videos/st-louis-r...ull-of-revenge

hahaha
Old 08-02-2013, 06:59 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
"He had to jump to hit me."

LMAO
Old 08-02-2013, 01:59 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
So Jim Thomas has has said Pead looks no better than he did last year, Doesn't even list Stedman as a top 4 WR, says Pettis and Givens have looked the best.....When from other people all I've been hearing is how Pead looks completely different than last year and how Pettis looks the same, #4 or #5 type wideout and that Givens is having a slow camp so far.

This is why I hate training camp. one set of eyes can see something totally different than another set of eyes. Plus it's tough to judge these guys in practice when you aren't really sure what it is exactly you're looking for.

Things it seems everyone is in agreement on...

1. Michael Brockers can't be blocked.
2. TJ Mcdonald has been the best Rookie in camp
3. Sam and Cook have a nice connection
4. Janoris and Trumaine are really doing well
5. Cory Harkey and Andrew Helmick have been impressive (look out Mike Mcneal and Nick Johnson?)
6. (and probably most important....Looks like Saffold has made a smooth transition over to the right side)

Interesting stuff on Pead...

in 2007 Chris Henry was also drafted 50th overall by the Titans, drafted by Coach Fisher he struggled in his first season and in his 2nd year he had every opportunity to win the starting job getting just as many touches as 2008 1st rounder Chris Johnson got in the first 2 preseason games. So it's good to see Fisher is at least not throwing Pead at the end of the line and burying him behind guys where he has no chance. If Pead doesn't win the starting job he has no one to blame but himself and I love that. I hope he proves a lot of Rams fans wrong.

Other stuff I looked up cuz I'm bored....

CJ Spiller: 5'11 197
40-time: 4.37 (combine)
broad jump: 10'1 (pro day)
3-cone: 6.85 (proday)
10 yards: 1.48 (pro day)

Isaiah Pead: 5'10 196
40 time: 4.47 (combine) 4.39 (proday)
broad jump: 9'8 (combine)
3-cone: 6.96 (combine)
10 yards: 1.49 (combine)

Pretty similar when you consider most of CJ Spiller's numbers were put up at his pro day, where you're going to see better numbers.

CJ Spiller rookie season (9th overall pick)
74 carries, 283 yards, 3.8 YPC, 20Y longest
- Seven carries of over 10 yards.

And look what he's become now in the league. Not saying Pead will be on Spiller's level.
We definitely have a lot of questions still to be answered. What excites me is that we now have a camp full of hungry players that all want to play, and will push each other for the opportunity. How many times in the past did we have a decent starting 22 on paper and nothing behind them? I would much rather have 50 talented guys. Does it really matter whether it is Pettis or Bailey that has a great camp, as long as SOMEONE finally steps up? Maybe Pead doesn't pan out but Stacy ends up being the next Alfred Morris...I'll take that.

FWIW, I have heard nothing but good things thus far about Austin. Everyone says he has shown up as advertised.

And I like that Fisher is bringing in retired players to help the young guys out. He brought in Keith Bulluck to work with Alec Ogletree, and Isaac Bruce to work with the WR's. Supposedly Torry Holt is due next week as well.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

Although Shelley Smith and Chris Williams continue to alternate with the 1's, I've got to think that Williams is going to get the starting gig over Smith for 2 big reasons.

1.) Well, speaking of 'big', Williams weighs about 320#s and Smith only about 297. After watching Jacob Bell fail I really hope we go with the guy with prototypical size for the position.

2.) Williams looked decent last year and better than Smith, imo. I just get the feeling that S. Smith will get pushed around too much by some very physical NFC West defenses.

P.S. I am really hoping that Barrett Jones develops sooner rather than later. I really believe we are going to need him on the field before this year is out.

WHAT SAY YE?
Old 08-02-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I don't know, to be honest, I never bet against a man with a name like Carole, Marion, Lindsay, Shannon, Kerry, Jamie, Dana, or...Shelley...so we'll have to see.

In Jones I think we will have the ultimate versatile backup, but I don't ever see him becoming a starter that we are satisfied with. Still, a plug-in backup lineman is one of the hardest positions to fill, so you have to be happy with the pick.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

Quote:
I don't know, to be honest, I never bet against a man with a name like Carole, Marion, Lindsay, Shannon, Kerry, Jamie, Dana, or...Shelley...so we'll have to see.
Well, so if Chris Williams' real first name was Chrissie you would think higher of his chances??

BTW really disagree with your assessment of Barrett Jones. This guy could easily have been a 2nd round pick if he would have been healthy for the combine and pro day workouts.

Having said that I am thinking his best position is probably center. Don't know if he has enough girth to play guard for any length of time.

WHAT SAY YE?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I agree that the LG job should be Williams' to lose. Chris isn't great, but I think he's been better than Smith.

Remember a few months ago when many fans expected Rok Watkins to win it? How things change.

As for Jones, I agree his best fit is at center but the versatility is nice. He's a solid back-up to have in the event that Wells falters or continues to have some injury issues. I wouldn't count him out as a serviceable starter.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Well, so if Chris Williams' real first name was Chrissie you would think higher of his chances??

BTW really disagree with your assessment of Barrett Jones. This guy could easily have been a 2nd round pick if he would have been healthy for the combine and pro day workouts.

Having said that I am thinking his best position is probably center. Don't know if he has enough girth to play guard for any length of time.

WHAT SAY YE?
Yeah, if he was a Chrissie he would probably be a Pro Bowler:-)
Old 08-03-2013, 06:49 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, if he was a Chrissie he would probably be a Pro Bowler:-)
HAH!! (Ten characters)
Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:

WHAT SAY YE?
I don't agree with B. Jones being a 2nd round pick if healthy. I think he goes in the 4th round regardless. He's a smart versatile player but he's not dominate in any one area, just average in all areas.