Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-04-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Actually, one thing i've wondered is why players don't run out their contracts, instead of agreeing to be sold. With the massive transfer fees being paid for one player, you've got to think that the signing bonus' and wages would be astronomical, if it was a great player that was wanted by several clubs.
No need, really. Clubs want compensation for their players leaving, which means the player can use this leverage to still get a move they want a season or more earlier than if they just tried to run out their contract. Very rarely do you see instances like whats going on with Lewa and Dortmund.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
It's not the fact that long shot goals are pretty....it's that it is all him. No build up, no help from his teammates. Just turn, fire and rocket the ball in the top corner from 25 yards. Most of Suarez's goals come due to clever passing/movement around the box. They certainly count, and he has scored some damn good ones, but his teammates have a big part in them as well....being more reliant on those around you is a huge difference between them.

Plus, Suarez has been a legitimately terrible finisher for a forward 2 of his 3 season in England. He could've gotten much better last year, sure, but it may just be an outlier. I tend to think it is somewhere in the middle.
Not really a fair comparison at all. Suarez and Bale play completely different positions. Bale plays out wide and on the wing. Tactically, he's asked to come back a lot more than Suarez, which means he'll obviously receive the ball at earlier points in the build-up play. Suarez is usually situated at the end of play, so of course his goals are often from in the box and often the result of clever passing. That's simply how the striker position works.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 08-04-2013, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
Not really a fair comparison at all. Suarez and Bale play completely different positions. Bale plays out wide and on the wing. Tactically, he's asked to come back a lot more than Suarez, which means he'll obviously receive the ball at earlier points in the build-up play. Suarez is usually situated at the end of play, so of course his goals are often from in the box and often the result of clever passing. That's simply how the striker position works.
Suarez plays on the wing of a 4-3-3 sometimes as well, but you are proving my point. If Suarez is a striker and Bale is an out and out winger and stills cores just as much as him.....
Old 08-04-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Suarez plays on the wing of a 4-3-3 sometimes as well, but you are proving my point. If Suarez is a striker and Bale is an out and out winger and stills cores just as much as him.....
I didn't say that Suarez was equal to or better than Bale, I just pointed out that arguing Suarez must be worse because he receives his goals at the end of play where as Bale generally receives the ball at an earlier point and thus provides him more freedom, which is exactly what their respective positions dictate, isn't a fair criticism.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 08-04-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I didn't say that Suarez was equal to or better than Bale, I just pointed out that arguing Suarez must be worse because he receives his goals at the end of play where as Bale generally receives the ball at an earlier point and thus provides him more freedom, which is exactly what their respective positions dictate, isn't a fair criticism.
Well, I think it is. Suarez - all strikers, really - score more gimmes. This inflates their goal totals. Goals inside the box are just inherently easier to score. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you have 2 equal players, the striker will score more than the winger......Suarez doesn't.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Well, I think it is. Suarez - all strikers, really - score more gimmes. This inflates their goal totals. Goals inside the box are just inherently easier to score. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you have 2 equal players, the striker will score more than the winger......Suarez doesn't.
Those are two different arguments.

Its one thing to say Bale is better because he scores just as many goals from a position with generally less goal scoring opportunities. Which is a fair point (to a certain extent).

Its another thing to say that Bale is better because Suarez's goal come more often within the box as a result of clever passing from his teammates. That's not a criticism of the number of goals as your above argument is, that's a criticism of how they are scored. Which isn't a fair point, because that is simply the nature of Suarez's position. There's a difference between being unable to score other types of goals, and simply not being asked to.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 08-04-2013, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Those are two different arguments.

Its one thing to say Bale is better because he scores just as many goals from a position with generally less goal scoring opportunities. Which is a fair point (to a certain extent).

Its another thing to say that Bale is better because Suarez's goal come more often within the box as a result of clever passing from his teammates. That's not a criticism of the number of goals as your above argument is, that's a criticism of how they are scored. Which isn't a fair point, because that is simply the nature of Suarez's position. There's a difference between being unable to score other types of goals, and simply not being asked to.
You can only judge people on what they actually do. I don't give a **** what is asked if them. And those 2 are arguments are very closely intertwined.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You can only judge people on what they actually do. I don't give a **** what is asked if them. And those 2 are arguments are very closely intertwined.
To each their own, I just think that's a very simplistic way to compare players who play different positions.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 08-04-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No need, really. Clubs want compensation for their players leaving, which means the player can use this leverage to still get a move they want a season or more earlier than if they just tried to run out their contract. Very rarely do you see instances like whats going on with Lewa and Dortmund.
The point i'm making is that if they didn't leave for a big transfer fee, they would be able to get more money once they sign somewhere else. If a club doesn't have to pay tens of millions on a transfer fee, they're going to be more willing to pay the actual player more through signing bonuses and salary.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:46 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bale basically play as a center attacking mid for a large chunk of the year (particularly the 2nd half)? it certainly seemed that way watching Spurs. Bale is too good to leave on the wing.

Either way, my entire reason for starting this debate was the idea that Bale is without a doubt considerably more talented than Suarez, and that simply is not true. It's like saying RG3 is clearly more talented than Luck. That's all I'm saying.

btw, a couple Suarez .gif's .. the man is a magician

Zenit FK

Newcastle goal I was talking about (although I'm sure you Newcastle fans remember it, honestly not trying to rub it in)

Just because this one makes me laugh every time. His face when he turns around, and then the decision to say "**** that, I'm celebrating this anyways" is just golden

Last edited by djp : 08-04-2013 at 05:01 PM.
djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Bale just started drifting around wherever he pleased. I think his technical position was never changed from the wing though.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bale just started drifting around wherever he pleased. I think his technical position was never changed from the wing though.
Yeah, I think you're right. I'm sure AVB just said **** it and let Bale do what he wanted. May as well with how unreal he was last year. FSC played the top goals of the 12-13 season the other day and I dvr'd it. I just went back and watched, and it's insane how easy he made some of those goals look.

The goal vs Southampton at the end of the year, Bale just completely dusted Shaw with the ball at his feet and fired a legitimate laser beam top cheddar, and Shaw is a pretty quick player.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This is true. Bale was always listed on the wing, but he drifted in naturally a lot of the time. Gave Spurs a bit of trouble as they lost a lot of their width.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Loic Remy signing on a season-long loan with option to buy!

Still hate him for choosing QPR in the first place, but it doesn't matter. We're gonna be awesome next season!

Ben Arfa - Cisse - Remy

That front 3 should be lethal.

RIP themaninblack
Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Loic Remy signing on a season-long loan with option to buy!

Still hate him for choosing QPR in the first place, but it doesn't matter. We're gonna be awesome next season!

Ben Arfa - Cisse - Remy

That front 3 should be lethal.
Isn't he a rapist...

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Isn't he a rapist...
Not officially! Anyway, that's why we are signing Gomis too.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:10 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Isn't he a rapist...
Well it was gang rape with his cousin and friend, so I think that means he's only 1/3 of a rapist.

RIP themaninblack
Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i hope someone didn't already create a fantasy PL league. i just made one.

DC Soccer Bonanza
1078718-251845

join up, losers.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post

DC Soccer Bonanza
1078718-251845

join up, losers.
Just joined. You guys are dead in the water
Old 08-05-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post

DC Soccer Bonanza
1078718-251845

join up, losers.
what site is this on?
Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mignolet <33333

He's gonna be sooo good this season.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Mignolet is fantastic. Glad to see him get out of that hellhole Sunderland. Not that Liverpool is much better, but still.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post
what site is this on?
my bad, should've provided a link.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:56 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootylicous View Post
Mignolet <33333

He's gonna be sooo good this season.
Greatest chant in all of footy.

Duke Blue Devils
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote