Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-27-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Zach, it is a complete waste of time to buy $20 worth of stock. Even at the worst online trading website, it's like $7 a trade. Wait until you have actual money and then invest. Just use a simulator now if you want to mess around in the interim.
Im not out to make a buck. Just something on the ol bucketlist, to say I own a part of something.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
Im not out to make a buck. Just something on the ol bucketlist, to say I own a part of something.
I'd just wait and do it for real. You'll get nothing out of making a $20 investment and lose interest within, like, a week max.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, wait til you have money. I made an etrade account like two years ago and threw $1000 bucks in it, but withdrew it a few months later because I was studying abroad and needed extra money to blow on booze and illegal things in Europe. It's not worth only investing $20.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:02 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
I would run around saying that I own Apple and everyone looked at me with confused faces and would then say that Steve Jobs owns it and not me. Granted, this was obviously back when he was still alive. I never said how much of the company I owned at the time. Probably like .000000000000000001% of it.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:56 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
One you're smart being with Vanguard because of their lower fees and two it looks like you have a long time for that money to grow. Paying no tax when you take it out is the best part of all.

Do they adjust the stock to bond ration on those long term funds, i assume they would.
Yes, as you get closer to your target retirement date the bond allocation increases. I think the expense ratio is .18 or so.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...rement-gamble/

PBS Frontline did a great episode on 401k/IRA fees. Anything 1 percent or over is way too high. There can even be fees on top of the expense ratios.

What really sucks is when your employer offers 401k matching with really ****** fund options.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:22 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I work for probably the biggest independent financial planner in Pittsburgh. It's great because it's a pretty small company so I have the opportunity to learn from the big guy.

I am actually in the process of studying for me Series 6/7 in order to take the next step in the investment world.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:20 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Short of being a day trader investing just in individual stocks would be too risky for my blood. The nice thing about doing it through an IRA is you don't have to deal with all the captital gains BS.

If it were me i'd invest in mutual funds or large index funds and keep some mad money for high fliers. To each his own and you'll probably lap me several times before it's all said and done.
Eh, there's been plenty of studies and your methods are more likely to outperform mine. I just happen to have a high risk tolerance so I prefer to invest more in growth stocks and limit my diversification, an obvious no-no for long-term investing. But if I lose 20% of my money, I will be ok, so I am ok with it.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's the best way to start investing if you're diving in for the first time?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
I work for probably the biggest independent financial planner in Pittsburgh. It's great because it's a pretty small company so I have the opportunity to learn from the big guy.

I am actually in the process of studying for me Series 6/7 in order to take the next step in the investment world.
Thats great, I've always thought that would be an interesting/rewarding career.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I guess that just kind of depends at where you're at and what you're wanting to do. Personally, when I started I tried finding companies that I knew were strong companies, that were down from where they had been in the past.

When I started investing for my mom, I went a more conservative route and went with proven companies with higher dividends. These are safe stocks that aren't going to adjust much in the short run in terms of value and you will primarily be getting the dividend yield.

It also depends if you're wanting to trade all the time, or just get on and check but stay in more of a long position on them.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:15 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/...-stock-market/

Start a Roth IRA and invest in a Vangaurd index fund, possibly VTSMX which is the total stock market fund. Don't do individual stocks just starting out or if you aren't going to be following it closely. (Really the best advice is don't do individual stocks at all, but since I invest in individual stocks, I can't really give that advice.)
Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinfan2k5 View Post

Start a Roth IRA and invest in a Vangaurd index fund, possibly VTSMX which is the total stock market fund. Don't do individual stocks just starting out or if you aren't going to be following it closely. (Really the best advice is don't do individual stocks at all, but since I invest in individual stocks, I can't really give that advice.)
I always thought the Vanguard 500 index would save a lot of time and money. Within a Roth as you say. I assume D has some income to qualify.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
First, ask yourself how much risk you want to take. There are stocks like Walmart, Ford, McDonalds, Coca Cola, Intel, and Activision Blizzard where you aren't going to gain much money but you aren't going to lose a lot either. Then there are stocks like Tesla which was at $25 within the last year and now it is at $130. Obviously, they had more risk attached to it because they have been in the negative for profits for years and just now posted a profitable quarter.

Then ask yourself what amount would you be comfortable investing. Then ask yourself if there is a new product that company is making that could be profitable, if there is a new CEO you may or may not believe can turn it around, and look at their past charts to see whether or not people are buying or selling at the moment.

This one is the hardest for me, but try and make a guess as to what you believe the market will do in the very near future. All the data suggests the economy isn't doing that great and the market is bound to bomb but it keeps chugging along. It is crazy.

One stock I have been watching has been Apple. They obviously have all the cash in the world, a very loyal fanbase, and products that come out all the time. Now that the stock is down from $720ish, it could be a nice buy point. I keep hoping it will hit the upper $300's but it won't. The market has hit it hard since people demand that every product be revolutionary, but $400 is a very cheap price for it. The Price/Earnings ratio is only 11 which means it is trading at 11 times earnings and that is very cheap. To put that in perspective, Facebook is at 160 times earnings, Netflix is at a crazy 310, and LinkedIn is at 810 times earnings. Most people see the monetary value of $440 for Apple and think it is crazy but not when your company is worth almost $500 billion. I have waited on the sidelines to see how the market reacts to all their new products but it is definitely a tempting stock to consider. The market reacted rather positively to their last conference a week or so ago. It has hovered around $400-$445 or so for about 5 months now so it seems like the worst is over, in my opinion obviously.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 07-29-2013 at 12:55 AM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I started a Roth IRA a couple years ago and put in the max $5000. But I haven't put in anything since. Do you have to keep putting in $5000 annually in order to get what you want out of it?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
I guess that just kind of depends at where you're at and what you're wanting to do. Personally, when I started I tried finding companies that I knew were strong companies, that were down from where they had been in the past.

When I started investing for my mom, I went a more conservative route and went with proven companies with higher dividends. These are safe stocks that aren't going to adjust much in the short run in terms of value and you will primarily be getting the dividend yield.

It also depends if you're wanting to trade all the time, or just get on and check but stay in more of a long position on them.
I kind of want to dip in for fun to see what the action is all about. I'm looking for fast return rather than years of slow accummulation.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
First, ask yourself how much risk you want to take. There are stocks like Walmart, Ford, McDonalds, Coca Cola, Intel, and Activision Blizzard where you aren't going to gain much money but you aren't going to lose a lot either. Then there are stocks like Tesla which was at $25 within the last year and now it is at $130. Obviously, they had more risk attached to it because they have been in the negative for profits for years and just now posted a profitable quarter.

Then ask yourself what amount would you be comfortable investing. Then ask yourself if there is a new product that company is making that could be profitable, if there is a new CEO you may or may not believe can turn it around, and look at their past charts to see whether or not people are buying or selling at the moment.

This one is the hardest for me, but try and make a guess as to what you believe the market will do in the very near future. All the data suggests the economy isn't doing that great and the market is bound to bomb but it keeps chugging along. It is crazy.

One stock I have been watching has been Apple. They obviously have all the cash in the world, a very loyal fanbase, and products that come out all the time. Now that the stock is down from $720ish, it could be a nice buy point. I keep hoping it will hit the upper $300's but it won't. The market has hit it hard since people demand that every product be revolutionary, but $400 is a very cheap price for it. The Price/Earnings ratio is only 11 which means it is trading at 11 times earnings and that is very cheap. To put that in perspective, Facebook is at 160 times earnings, Netflix is at a crazy 310, and LinkedIn is at 810 times earnings. Most people see the monetary value of $440 for Apple and think it is crazy but not when your company is worth almost $500 billion. I have waited on the sidelines to see how the market reacts to all their new products but it is definitely a tempting stock to consider. The market reacted rather positively to their last conference a week or so ago. It has hovered around $400-$445 or so for about 5 months now so it seems like the worst is over, in my opinion obviously.
Let me know when the iron is hot! Let's go in together!

WAC friends for life!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:14 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I kind of want to dip in for fun to see what the action is all about. I'm looking for fast return rather than years of slow accummulation.
Thats how I started, the main thing is to just have a limit and stick with it, much like at a casino.

I studied them for a couple weeks finding ones I was interested in, once I did that I purchased a couple hundred dollars in each company I was interested.

I spent just over 1000 dollars between 4 or 5 stocks if I remember correctly, some I had 100 stock and some as little as 10.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
Thats how I started, the main thing is to just have a limit and stick with it, much like at a casino.

I studied them for a couple weeks finding ones I was interested in, once I did that I purchased a couple hundred dollars in each company I was interested.

I spent just over 1000 dollars between 4 or 5 stocks if I remember correctly, some I had 100 stock and some as little as 10.
How'd that go? How much did you make/lose from that initial grand? That's about the amount I want to start off with, but I don't know if that's too little to see enough "excitement" from.

Ideally I want to be able to buy more stock from my gains, but is that even possible?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How'd that go? How much did you make/lose from that initial grand? That's about the amount I want to start off with, but I don't know if that's too little to see enough "excitement" from.

Ideally I want to be able to buy more stock from my gains, but is that even possible?
The only way to buy more shares without any more contributions is to have a group of individual stocks that pay a dividend. When the quarterly dividend is paid out set it up so you buy more shares with it.

Not to downplay what people's money means to them but I think most people can find a little each month to invest.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

Everyone should be saving at least a little bit. If you pay over $50 for a phone plan right now and don't save any money, you are doing it wrong. Check out republic wireless. $20 bucks a month for unlimited everything. Then you can take that extra $30~$70 a month and save it. $50/mo at 6% annual return is $100,000 in 40 years. Pretty crazy that a simple decision like switching phone plans could have that much of an effect. Heck, cut cable and switch phone plans and you will be $200,000 richer in 40 years. Two things that the majority of people can do and without any negative impact on their life (probably a positive impact) that will have a major positive impact on their financial standing later in life. Find 10 things that you can cut out for $50/mo and you're pretty much guaranteeing yourself to be a millionaire in 40 years.

Quote:
I started a Roth IRA a couple years ago and put in the max $5000. But I haven't put in anything since. Do you have to keep putting in $5000 annually in order to get what you want out of it?
That's good. The limit increased to $5,500 this year. Yes, you should be putting that in every year if possible. How much your current income is, and what you expect to be withdrawing in retirement to support your lifestyle determine whether or not you should put money in a Roth IRA (money that has already been taxed and will not be taxed upon withdrawal) or a normal IRA (money that is deducted from taxes now, but is taxed as income upon withdrawal).

With my current income, I am fully funding my Roth because I am unsure of how tax laws will be in the future, so I would rather just deal with the tax now rather than later. If I made more money, I would reevaluate. Just depends what you think will happen in the future, and there are plenty of calculators online that can help you determine which option is best for you. If you earn more now then you expect to earn in retirement, a normal IRA is likely the better choice. I have my 401k though, which is deducted from taxes now and will be taxed later, so I still have a mix. Speaking of that, if anyone has a 401k employer match and isn't contributing enough to get the full benefit of the match, you are throwing money away and should do everything possible to take full advantage.

Quote:
I'm looking for fast return rather than years of slow accummulation.
You and everyone else :)
I am the same way. I see stocks that go up 100% in a few months and think about how much money I could have if I had invested all of my capital in that stock. But over the long term, thinking like that won't work and will only cause problems. As I say this, the majority of my capital is tied up in individual growth stocks that I think could produce 20-30% gains in the next year, like NFLX, TSLA, and ZNGA. Then I have some companies like MGAM and KORS that are a little less volatile but still growth stocks. And about 1/3 of my portfolio is in AAPL. Lack of diversification, poor asset allocation. It's risky and historically a bad strategy. We'll see. It's hard to play it safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
One stock I have been watching has been Apple. They obviously have all the cash in the world, a very loyal fanbase, and products that come out all the time. Now that the stock is down from $720ish, it could be a nice buy point. I keep hoping it will hit the upper $300's but it won't. The market has hit it hard since people demand that every product be revolutionary, but $400 is a very cheap price for it. The Price/Earnings ratio is only 11 which means it is trading at 11 times earnings and that is very cheap.
And they offer a very solid dividend! I think AAPL is very cheap right now and would have bought more at around $400 a few weeks ago if I had any liquidity. I think it is going to spike at least past $500 (which would be an 11% gain from current price) though in the next 6 months and could go way higher. It really feels like investors are just sitting and waiting to see a new product, and I think when it happens, there could be a really huge spike.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:30 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Let me know when the iron is hot! Let's go in together!

WAC friends for life!
haha Poor WAC. :( Now we get to play University of Texas as our first game. I am going to have to go to that one.

I'm mixed on stocks at the moment because, as a couple of posts have said, the market seems overbought and could be ready for a big hit but it keeps chugging along. Even though Apple has been hit hard, 3 out of 4 stocks follow the direction of the market. Granted, Apple has gone up about 3.5% in two days since I last wrote that post and I lost out on that. I'm tempted to get back in anyways and see if I can't make a little bit while the market is still going up.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:36 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:

And they offer a very solid dividend! I think AAPL is very cheap right now and would have bought more at around $400 a few weeks ago if I had any liquidity. I think it is going to spike at least past $500 (which would be an 11% gain from current price) though in the next 6 months and could go way higher. It really feels like investors are just sitting and waiting to see a new product, and I think when it happens, there could be a really huge spike.
Carbo Ceramics (CRR) has a very nice dividend. If Obama hits on more environmental regulations for oil wells then it could be a nice company. They make the top environmentally friendly fracturing equipment. Only problem is is that it is expensive and at the moment the wells are using cheaper products but also emit more pollution. If the government starts regulating that field then it could be a nice find. In the mean time, it has struggled because natural gas is at an all time low for the last couple of years, and you are really banking on that going up if you invest with them. Their conference calls have been insane. It didn't do so hot in one quarter so it dropped 18% that day. This latest quarter, it showed signs of a comeback and went up 16.5% that day.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bumping this because with some check change I may go to investing.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

Earnings season has been good to me. KORS, MGAM, and TSLA have all beat earnings and have jumped significantly. Thinking about adding FB, I feel like they will beat next earnings and jump, weather it's warranted or not.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:17 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay, I have a question about a Roth 401K vs. a Traditional 401K...

Let's say I make ~70K a year. I put 5% in to get the company match. In a Traditional 401K, that is $3,500 a year. How does it work in a Roth? Is my salary taxed at 15% first then the money is put into the 401K, dropping it to $2975 a year? Or will $3,500 still be taken out first but I'm just paying taxes on the $3,500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote