Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-02-2013, 06:26 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My most recent read:

Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
I just finished The Things They Carried. I highly recommend it for history buffs and/or people interested in the military/war. It's a collection of short stories written by a guy about his platoon in the Vietnam War. These works take war stories to a whole different level than anything else I've read/seen. It's a good read.
he has another book, Going After Cacciato, that is just as amazing.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:46 PM    (permalink
ncst8fan83
Pro Bowler

ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just finished I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt. Great, interesting read on Frank Sheeran who claims to have killed Jimmy Hoffa. Starting on The English Girl by Daniel Silva. Love the Gabriel Allon series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman
Titty sprinkles
ncst8fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fight Club sequel? Bwuh?
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:35 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Highly recommend this book. Starts slow, becomes fantastic.
I loved it.
Debut novel.
I Shall Be Gone

JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just read the sports gene by david epstein. Really cool book but tne latter part shouldnt be in there. Seemed like a lot of filler wfter a really interesting first half

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just started Infinite Jest and am very much enjoying it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:52 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I started reading "Orange is the New Black" last night. Pretty good so far. It looks like the show sticks pretty closely to the book (only three chapters in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am three book into Harry Potter. Prisoner of Azkaban is freaking great.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Been working through these. After this, though, I will be reading the newest Palahniuk.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:20 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My mom just gave me her old Kindle that she didn't need anymore. Someone give me a recommendation? I haven't read a book for pleasure in like 10 years so whatever you name I probably haven't read it.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
My mom just gave me her old Kindle that she didn't need anymore. Someone give me a recommendation? I haven't read a book for pleasure in like 10 years so whatever you name I probably haven't read it.
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Old 10-17-2013, 10:11 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish I could read through the Potter books as if it were the first time all over again. Such a great experience.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:37 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Fiction or non-fiction.

I read mostly non-fiction, so my suggestions are:
The Better Angels of Our Nature - Steven Pinker
This Love is Not for Cowards: Soccer and Salvation in Ciudad Juarez - Robert Andrew Powell
Spy Handler: Memoir of a KGB Officer - Victor Cherkashin
The Book of Basketball - Bill Simmons
Killing Yourself to Live - Chuck Klosterman

Others can give you better recommendations of current fiction, I think the last one I read was Straight White Male, but that satire was way too similar to Tucker Max for my tastes.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:33 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just picked up (for free) Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance, which I don't know alot about but its been spoken highly about from several of my professors. Apparently it was denied publication 120 something times before eventually becoming critically acclaimed. Must be hopeful for aspiring writers lol.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Also has anyone else read through IJ? Because I finished last night and would love to talk about it with someone.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-04-2013, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I am going to see "An Evening with David Sedaris" on Saturday. Should be the tits.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:36 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I finished reading Armen Keteyian and Jeff Benedict's new book The System, it's about college football. It's a really enjoyable read if you're interested in college football. Keteyian and Benedict traveled all over the country and got to go behind the scenes at so many different universities. I'll just list some of the things in the book that they tell the story of and detail.

Throughout the book they tell Mike Leach's story, not just about his time at Texas Tech but about the process of how he got hired at Washington State and about his first season at Washington State. The most fascinating part of the book to me is where the Washington State Athletic Director, Bill Moos, details the hiring process of Mike Leach. You learn cool things like how they arrange secret meetings with candidates. They also go in depth in detailing the response to the Leach accusations that happened during his first year and the authors talked to the President and Moos about it and you get to see how they handled it at the time.

There's a chapter about Michigan and how Dave Brandon makes Michigan football as big as it is, so the authors went there for a weekend.

They went to the Towson LSU game and you get to hear about what it's like for an FCS team to go into one of those games where they are pretty much paid to lose. Way more interesting than I thought that chapter would be.

They detail the Tressel-gate fiasco at OSU and they actually talk to the guy who ended up being the scape goat, the booster Bobby DiGeronimo. I didn't realize how some of the players got screwed over from that whole thing. They talk to a lawyer in that chapter who specializes in defending athletes and it's pretty amazing how the school and the NCAA didn't care at all what the athlete's defense was even if they proved they were innocent or how petty some of the crimes they students were being charged with were.

A great chapter is about the director of football operations position on a staff, they are referred to as janitors or fixers in the book. Some really interesting stories there. The guy they interview throughout that chapter is Cleve Bryant, the guy who was fired from Texas and had been Mack Brown's right hand man forever. They talk to him about his dismissal stemming from sexual assault allegations.

Oh also related to the University of Texas, in one chapter where they detail the life of a college football player they talk about what it's like to be a player at the University of Texas or any bigtime school. As an example they tell the story of an anonymous player who had a relationship with a stripper during his time in college and they also interview this guy who owns this huge strip joint in Austin. Apparently that place is huge with Texas football players and on recruiting visits. The guy who runs it has a great quote, "I've done more for Texas football than Mack Brown" or something along the lines of that.

The most compelling chapter in the book for me to read was the one about this rape that occurred at Missouri in 2010, Derrick Washington was eventually charged. They talk about how hard it is to charge a football player with rape successfully and you really get a glimpse into how emotionally damaging it is on the victim, who they interview throughout the chapter.

They do a great job telling the story of Kyle Van Noy and Ezekiel Ansah. Van Noy's story was really interesting to me and one that I did not know. The BYU program is another program that is mentioned throughout the novel and the writers spend a lot of time talking about.

Finally, there's a couple really good chapters about recruiting. The authors spent a lot of time with Ricky Seals Jones and his family during his recruitment and you get to see and hear what it's like in a recruit's home the fall of his senior year, get to see what he's thinking, what his parents are thinking. His dad talks about how he got offered around 100,000 dollars for the commitment of his son from one school. The other chapter I liked about recruiting documented the tale of a recruit from Compton and what it's like for a kid to go from pretty much taking care of yourself and having nothing to being courted by so many programs and being offered free rides. They talk about his official visit in the chapter which was interesting.

The thing that is consistently good throughout the book is the detail that the authors go into in explaining events that have happened in college football. They aren't just summarizing them but talking to the people who were involved in the events and detailing what went on behind the scenes with people who you've never heard of. They really do a good job lifting the veil off college football. We all know this stuff goes on behind the scenes, but they just tell you the actual story.

Last edited by Jcn92 : 11-06-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Jcn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Started cloud atlas today.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just finished the first Kingkiller Chronicle book and about 1/3 of the way into the second. Excellent series so far. As far as fantasy series goes I'd put this 2nd to ASOIaF of the ones I've read (haven't read wheel of time, thats probably next).
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
Need some reading suggestions, go.
If you are looking for something funny, my go to is David Sedaris; If you want something amazing, The Road or No Country for Old Men; If you want something interesting, Malcolm Gladwell.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 PM    (permalink
ncst8fan83
Pro Bowler

ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
If you are looking for something funny, my go to is David Sedaris; If you want something amazing, The Road or No Country for Old Men; If you want something interesting, Malcolm Gladwell.
I read Blood Meridian and hated it. I feel weird. Should I feel bad that I don't get Cormac McCarthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman
Titty sprinkles
ncst8fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncst8fan83 View Post
I read Blood Meridian and hated it. I feel weird. Should I feel bad that I don't get Cormac McCarthy?
That's actually my second favorite of his. It's pretty dense and slow, but I guess it's not for anyone.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:23 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I like Gladwell, but you have to take his stuff with a huge grain of salt. He sensationalizes things and flat out makes things up. He's kinda full of ****. And more.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
I like Gladwell, but you have to take his stuff with a huge grain of salt. He sensationalizes things and flat out makes things up. He's kinda full of ****. And more.
Oh, no doubt. I like to refer him to people looking to find **** to read. He's a good bridge to non-fiction.

Also, with veteran's day upon us, I suggest this to anyone looking for a WWII book:

I had to read this for my 20th Century Military History class in college, and it was awesome.