Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 07-17-2013, 01:44 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default NCAA Will NOT Renew Contract with EA

http://www.benzinga.com/news/13/07/3...ports-contract

Quote:
The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football (NASDAQ: EA [FREE Stock Trend Analysis]) video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA's name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

The NCAA has never licensed the use of current student-athlete names, images or likenesses to EA. The NCAA has no involvement in licenses between EA and former student-athletes. Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future.

Read more: http://www.benzinga.com/news/13/07/3...#ixzz2ZKWC51qD
So NCAA 14 will be the last CFB game made for the foreseeable future, all because Sam Keller and Ed O'Bannon (along with the other non-named parties) are gigantic douche bags who didn't feel free college was fair compensation for their services.

EDIT:
I guess to be fair it is theoretically possible each conference and individual school could come to an agreement with EA, and maybe that works for a year, but as soon as schools like Alabama, Ohio State, or any other big time school thinks they deserve more than FIU or Old Dominion, the game will die if it hasn't already.

Last edited by MassNole : 07-17-2013 at 01:56 PM.
MassNole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:51 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well this ******* sucks

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's still hope that EA will either itself modify or allow others to modify 14 for future seasons. At the very least, updated rosters sound reasonable. Of course, we may see some future game where basically every facet is customizable, and thus the NCAA is recreated there. And of course negotiating at the conference level, like EA does with FIFA and the individual national leagues, is also a possibility (FIFA may actually be the best example, as EA can't get rights to just UEFA as a whole for its yearly games).

I can't say I'm too shook by this, as I'm not a yearly buyer of the game, but I guess I will go out and buy 14 at some point now.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Last edited by Cigaro : 07-17-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:01 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

at first i was like finally someone else can make a decent freaking ncaa football game. maybe someone that would actually add something new to the damn thing.

but now i have a feel. and it is a sad one
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:07 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
There's still hope that EA will either itself modify or allow others to modify 14 for future seasons. At the very least, updated rosters sound reasonable. Of course, we may see some future game where basically every facet is customizable, and thus the NCAA is recreated there. And of course negotiating at the conference level, like EA does with FIFA and the individual national leagues, is also a possibility (FIFA may actually be the best example, as EA can't get rights to just UEFA as a whole for its yearly games).

I can't say I'm too shook by this, as I'm not a yearly buyer of the game, but I guess I will go out and buy 14 at some point now.
2K left the roster share feature up for years after College Hoops 2k8 ended its run. We can hope EA does the same but with the new systems out that type of support is unlikely.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meh. EA can bring out College Football 15 with full editing features and let the community upload, edit, and tweak everything to match what they want. Doubt it happens because EA likes closed games with maximum profit potential but I can dream.

Would also be nice as you could edit playoff scenarios or geographic conferences with a "mini-March Madness" style playoff.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:09 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post

I doubt EA will be allowed to negotiate with the SEC or Big Ten or whoever individually unless something fundamentally changes with the NCAA. There's no way the NCAA would allow it.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I doubt EA will be allowed to negotiate with the SEC or Big Ten or whoever individually unless something fundamentally changes with the NCAA. There's no way the NCAA would allow it.
The NCAA will absolutely allow it. They said as much in their release.

Quote:
Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future
It just won't be called NCAA Football anymore, but more likely ESPN College Football or something like that.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yep.

Quote:
UPDATE: Brett McMurphy of ESPN is reporting ESPN has been told EA Sports will still have a college football video game beyond 2014, next year's game will be called College Football 15.
Honestly EA might be better for it not having NCAA plastered on everything. From a marketing standpoint putting ESPN on everything would mean a ton more revenue.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
The NCAA will absolutely allow it. They said as much in their release.

It just won't be called NCAA Football anymore, but more likely ESPN College Football or something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Yep.

Honestly EA might be better for it not having NCAA plastered on everything. From a marketing standpoint putting ESPN on everything would mean a ton more revenue.
After thinking about it, I assume EA will do basically exactly what it does with FIFA. They'll simply negotiate with all the individual conferences and independents for rights. I don't really see any reason for those conferences to deny them so long as lawsuits don't start drifting their way. Although some D-IAA schools may lose out.

Basically, nothing will change outside of the name.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:36 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the CLC is what you need to look out for, NCAA pulling out doesn't mean much

http://www.clc.com/

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:46 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just hope this is a step towards CFB just saying "WTF do we need the NCAA?"
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
I just hope this is a step towards CFB just saying "WTF do we need the NCAA?"
Ehhh...You know that just won't happen.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:01 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

EA just lost a Madden customer as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
Newton
South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
Barely literate +5 swagger
Thief +15 swagger
Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
Big, average speed -3 swagger
Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
Total Swagger: 62
ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts
shylo3716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:19 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I despise EA. So so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And now the SEC and the Big Tenwon't renew it's contract to allow NCAA football to license their contracts. This is really sad and although the game is not dead, it might as well be. To some fans those are the best conferences with teams to play as in the video game. The move eliminates 28 of the best teams in the game and based on which schools join FBS within the next few years should put the amount of teams in the game between 90-100. I don't think I could justify spending 60 dollars on a game with no SEC teams or Big Ten teams.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:08 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

They could go the generic route but if they do the Team Builder feature would have to be removed. It is a miracle that feature that severely infringes on intellectual property rights has been around this long.

I wish Sam Keller and whichever O'Bannon brother who started this crap nothing but the worst in life.