Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 08-02-2013, 08:44 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah i don't know what to think about the hype. Either way, I think we'll be seeing him as the starter pretty early in the year if not from day 1.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:45 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's very little we could take from that game but Jaiquawn Jarrett really stood out to me. I definitely want to see more but we may have something here.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would be interesting to have two Temple guys starting on defense (including Wilkerson who is at least one of the best two players on defense).

This Holmes story is interesting. Either he's an idiot, he's done in the NFL, or he's not milking the injury. The story that he wants to just collect his $7.5M because he knows he's getting cut after the season makes no sense to me unless he doesn't plan on playing in the NFL again. If he wants to sign somewhere after this season for anything more than a cheap, one year, incentive laden deal he'll have to prove himself during the year.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:46 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Would be interesting to have two Temple guys starting on defense (including Wilkerson who is at least one of the best two players on defense).

This Holmes story is interesting. Either he's an idiot, he's done in the NFL, or he's not milking the injury. The story that he wants to just collect his $7.5M because he knows he's getting cut after the season makes no sense to me unless he doesn't plan on playing in the NFL again. If he wants to sign somewhere after this season for anything more than a cheap, one year, incentive laden deal he'll have to prove himself during the year.

Multiple surgeries on foot? Is it normal?

Cutting him after this season DOES make sense because he always is that negative person. lol. Anyway, I agree with you because cutting Holmes is a pure salary strategy for Jets so making it personal is definitely out of line.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think there was any way Santonio Holmes was going to be a Jet in 2014 no matter what he did. It was an awful signing and it will be nice to finally have it off the books.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh I definitely think he'll get cut, but it's in his interest to play this season so he'll get a decent deal from someone after he gets cut.

The defense looks awful tonight against what should be a bad Jacksonville offense, it seems minus Cecil Shorts who should be their best offensive player.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Geno Smith was arrested for DUI. Good thing he still is in NCAAF topic.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a different Geno Smith, Yoto.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Heading to TC tomorrow morning, anything that anybody would be interested in me keeping an eye on?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

That's awesome, Derza. Keep an eye on Stephen Hill. I keep hearing that he's looked very good in camp but I'll believe when I see it or in this case, when you see it.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Will do, I'm still not sold either. Maybe he can play a poor man's D-Jax role going forward but I don't think he's a tremendous fit in the offense and his hands are still questionable. That drop in the first half of the Jags game hurt.

Should be cool, I've never been to camp before but it's so close to my apartment/office I figured I had to give it a shot.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Had to leave early Wednesday to get back to work on time so I missed Hill's awesome catch and a couple of other things, but a few observations from practice.

Facility is really nice. Was a cool experience to head to camp, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't gone. Was also pretty easy to find a good spot to watch practice from. Moved back and forth a bit and then ended up standing behind some shorter guys literally right on the 50 yard line.

Was interesting watching the first team offense going up against the second (seemed almost like the third) team defense versus watching the first team defense going up against the second (again, seemed almost like the third) team defense. Particularly on the lines, where the first team got a huge push in both situations (as it should be). Wilkerson particularly looked absolutely unblockable by the backups, and Richardson was solid as well.

Antonio Allen flashed a few times, had a couple of nice pass breakups.

Against air throwing deep passes about 50 yards downfield, Mark Sanchez was clearly throwing the ball better than Geno Smith. Putting balls right on the money and hitting guys in stride when Geno was pretty much repeatedly a little bit behind the receivers. They both had success in the two minute drill, but Geno was clearly more impressive. Just absolutely marched down the field, gave Spadola a chance to make a play on a pass downfield where he was rewarded, hit a couple of short ones, and then hit Hill on the TD where he got popped by Cromartie. Sanchez had a strike on 4th and 16 I think to Obomanu I believe that was a great throw, but struggled with the rush and was mostly throwing the ball short, got some balls batted down. I still like Sanchez when he pushes the ball downfield, but it's clear he's not comfortable doing that. His talent was obvious today, and I think if he can get rewired some by a team that has a legitimate offensive coaching staff he could stick as a David Carr type backup. Still think Geno starts before the year is done.

Getting back to Cromartie popping Hill, I thought it was a clean hit but not the kind of thing you should be doing in practice. After the play he ended up right by where I was standing, heard him talking to someone about how he led with his shoulder instead of the crown of his helmet. Was a dumb play of him to make, but he does seem like a good natured guy. Also, dude is absolutely enormous in person, the fluidity he has for a guy his size is aboslutely amazing.

Spadola played well, I think at this point he's got to be a lock to make the roster. Got lots of reps with the 1's, operated as the #3 in a few scenarios. The catch from Geno in the two minute drill drew a solid reaction with the crowd. Was an interesting moment where he "ran" a drag in a walk through type play and Sanchez threw the ball to someone else. Mornhinweg pulled him aside for a good 30 seconds to a minute to explain how he wanted him to sit down in front of a defender on that play and they re-ran it. Thought it was interesting to do that with a UDFA. Between that, his play this preseason, his skill set, and the way everyone is talking about him it seems there are some pretty clear indicators he'll make the team.

Cumberland is big, fast, and fluid. I know Winslow is getting reps and is a solid player, but I hope Cumberland gets his opportunities because I think he can play.

Bunch of random things in there, but that's what sticks out a day after.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I crazy or has Cumberland actually looked like a legitimate starter lately?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
Am I crazy or has Cumberland actually looked like a legitimate starter lately?
You're not crazy at all. I think he's gonna surprise some people this year. I'm excited to see what he con do now that he's fully healthy.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-24-2013, 07:48 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Agree on Cumberland also.

Looks like we'll be starting the season with Sanchez.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Agree on Cumberland also.

Looks like we'll be starting the season with Sanchez.

Anyone heard any updates on Sanchez? It looked like he had locked the starter job up. Rex throwing Sanchez out there with the 2nd string OL, just to beat the Giants in a preseason game, has really blown up in his face. Irregardless, I'd rather the Jets throw Geno out there to go through the ups and downs. This, if he really is the Jets future.

Also saw that they are bringing in Leinart and Beck for a work out. Could mean that Sanchez has a significant injury.

Last edited by Old School : 08-25-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:29 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I posted that after the second or third Geno interception. No updates yet, but I think they'll be coming out today.

I'd imagine Rex felt that for someone who struggles with bodies around him it'd be valuable to get him some game reps - don't think it was about winning the game. Regardless, obviously it backfired.

A multi-week injury obviously ends the QB battle for now, though it gets interesting if Geno plays like he did in the Giants game until Sanchez is healthy again.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I posted that after the second or third Geno interception. No updates yet, but I think they'll be coming out today.

I'd imagine Rex felt that for someone who struggles with bodies around him it'd be valuable to get him some game reps - don't think it was about winning the game. Regardless, obviously it backfired.

A multi-week injury obviously ends the QB battle for now, though it gets interesting if Geno plays like he did in the Giants game until Sanchez is healthy again.

Yeah, I agree about the game reps. This would be a non-story if Sanchez came out uninjured. Who would you rather have starting for the Jets?
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:55 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Yeah, I agree about the game reps. This would be a non-story if Sanchez came out uninjured. Who would you rather have starting for the Jets?
Provided Sanchez is healthy I think it obviously appears that he's the better option right now. Think last night provided some good teaching moments for Geno that he can see on tape, but made it clear he needs some time. At this point in the season I would like to see the team have success. I'm sure Geno will get some games once Sanchez has a classic blowup game.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:22 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

After watching Smith played on the replayed game, he is not ready.

I love how tightly he spun the football in any direction but he lost a lot of velocity in the left side area. It may be due to his footwork and throwing mechanic. He had to fix this problem so he can spin football with good velocity anywhere.

He ran the one WR per play scheme a lot. His accuracy is off due to a lack of timing practice. He has tendency of hand tapping football prior to throwing on run. More practices to improve at each issue.

Next season may be realistic for Smith, barring Jets flop this season.

My QB depth would be

Sanchez - if shoulder checks out fine.
Smith.
Simms.

Hill looks good to me. Eye-hand coordination gets there. So what if he drops some football as long as it is not in end zone.

I don't bother to check out defense because no matter who is on the field Ryan always has a way to make defense looks solid.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Geno definitely has work to do. Obviously he's talented and competitive, I wasn't wowed by his arm strength - like you said he struggles a bit with zip when throwing the ball to the left.

Snacks has looked good, wonder if he ends up starting. He's an enormous guy, definitely a lot of talent. Will be interesting to see if he pushes ahead of Ellis, who has shown flashes but hasn't quite been consistent. Think the team will be okay at NT but that's a big swing position, along with OLB's. who have struggled to contain some. Douzable has been a pleasant surprise as well.

Third QB is another interesting battle, and it'll be interesting who they keep on the OL between some recent pickups and the draft picks. Plus the fifth and sixth WR's. Safety next to Landry is bigger than anything I've mentioned. Interesting that Ducasse is starting at LG, I'd like to see Winters break into the lineup before the season is over.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:59 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
OFFENSE
QB (4) — Graham Harrell, Mark Sanchez, Matt Simms, Geno Smith
RB (4) — Kahlil Bell, Tommy Bohanon, Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell
WR (5) — Clyde Gates, Stephen Hill, Santonio Holmes, Jeremy Kerley, Ryan Spadola
TE (3) — Jeff Cumberland, Konrad Reuland, Kellen Winslow
OL (9) — Oday Aboushi, Will Campbell, Willie Colon, Vladimir Ducasse, D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Austin Howard, Nick Mangold, Caleb Schlauderaff, Brian Winters

DEFENSE / SPECIAL TEAMS
DL (5) — Leger Douzable, Kenrick Ellis, Damon Harrison, Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson
LB (10) — Antwan Barnes, Nick Bellore, Quinton Coples, Demario Davis, David Harris, Danny Lansanah, Josh Mauga, Garrett McIntyre, Calvin Pace, Ricky Sapp
DB (10) — Antonio Allen, Josh Bush, Antonio Cromartie, Jaiquawn Jarrett, Dawan Landry, Ellis Lankster, Dee Milliner, Isaiah Trufant, Darrin Walls, Kyle Wilson
ST (3) — Nick Folk, Robert Malone, Tanner Purdum

Only 3 TE? I guess they wont use 2 TE format. It could mean FB will be more active than we have accustomed to witnessing in the past.

I feel good about Ricky Sapp, Vladmir Ducasse and Caleb Schlauderaff this season. 3 year waiting pays off? Let's find out.

Starting DL will be who? Wilkerson, Richardson, Ellis?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:38 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Colts had enough of Ben Ijalana? Wow!

He and Alex Green are solid additions. Not sure about Scott Solomon.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Geno Smith is our number one quarterback. Hot Damn!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:37 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I think the Ijalana pickup in particular is interesting (although I'm biased as a 'Nova guy). Lots of talent, if he can stay healthy it'll work out nicely and if not it's makes decisions easy.