Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's all doom and gloom D-Unit....all doom and gloom, you can't convince them otherwise. Despite it only being preseason.

I look at franchises like Cleveland, Arizona, and the Eagles and I see them with very little success, or at the height of their success yearly contenders....with nothing to show for it.

Jerry wants to win as bad as anyone, and there's plenty to point the finger at him for...but he's done it every way from giving up control(Johnson, Parcells), to completely ruling over coaches(Wade, Campo).

The front office and coach has put together a talented team over the past few years, there's some holes...there's always going to be holes....can't plug them all unless you draft near in the top 10 like San Fran for YEARS.

I'm anticipating a great season.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:39 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
I agree 100%...I see the Boys in the NFC title game...quote me on that.

Strangely enough, it'll probably be Seattle, and the media will spend a week discussing the bobbled snap, and Romo's choking in general.

He crushes all doubters(myself included) this year.

And that's mostly because the Boys will have a defense and a running game to help him when he starts doing too much.
I hope like hell they can make it that far. There's talent on the team in many places, but they have to cut the mistakes. I can see them getting as far as the NFC title game, but at the same time I can see another 8-8 season where we're all wondering what would happen if they didn't make a few mistakes here and there. I think the biggest enemy of the Cowboys is themselves. When I look at the past two 8-8 years there are games they lost that were winnable if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot. The table seemed turned at the end of the year, but there were too many injuries to the defense to be a serious contender at that point.

I think the big factors are these things.

-They have to limit the costly mistakes such as penalties and turnovers at the wrong time. Sure those things will happen, but you lose games when you can't score a TD because a few penalties took you out of the red zone.

-Injuries. Goes without saying. If a major player like Romo, Dez, Ware, etc. get hurt then of course bad things will happen.

-Takeaways. If the defense is just decent at this the Cowboys will win a lot of games considering the offense has too many weapons.

-Dez. If he's unstoppable and healthy he'll be a major factor. He was a big part in them winning games last year, and he's got that x-factor to make big touchdowns when they need it. Even if he doesn't get the same amount of yards he can still be better since more guys will get the ball. I'm thinking he's a 15+ TD guy this year.

-OL, OL, OL. If Romo is getting killed then he can't get the ball to Dez, Witten, Austin, or even the backs. Same thing with the running game. Like with takeaways on D they just need to be decent to give the other guys room to work. I'm crossing my fingers like crazy on this one.

I'm excited for the season. Can't wait to see how much the younger guys are going to step up this year. People like Dez, Bruce Lee, Murray, Claiborne, and Tyron Smith can really make this team a contender if they grow into top players this season. The potential is there, so I hope they can live up to it.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:55 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
He also has 3 SB rings but those years are obviously omitted. How many teams... forget GMs only... how many teams have 3 SB rings? Some franchises that were considered great contenders during the past 17 years have none. *cough* Eagles *cough*

Playoff wins aren't exactly the standard measurement of success.
LOL he has 3 SB rings because of Jimmy and you know it. Personnel decisions were made by Jimmy and it was in his contract. If you want to start with what JJ has done without Jimmy Im all ears. Since 1996 Jerry has won....GO!

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I hope like hell they can make it that far. There's talent on the team in many places, but they have to cut the mistakes. I can see them getting as far as the NFC title game, but at the same time I can see another 8-8 season where we're all wondering what would happen if they didn't make a few mistakes here and there. I think the biggest enemy of the Cowboys is themselves. When I look at the past two 8-8 years there are games they lost that were winnable if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot. The table seemed turned at the end of the year, but there were too many injuries to the defense to be a serious contender at that point.

I think the big factors are these things.

-They have to limit the costly mistakes such as penalties and turnovers at the wrong time. Sure those things will happen, but you lose games when you can't score a TD because a few penalties took you out of the red zone.

-Injuries. Goes without saying. If a major player like Romo, Dez, Ware, etc. get hurt then of course bad things will happen.

-Takeaways. If the defense is just decent at this the Cowboys will win a lot of games considering the offense has too many weapons.

-Dez. If he's unstoppable and healthy he'll be a major factor. He was a big part in them winning games last year, and he's got that x-factor to make big touchdowns when they need it. Even if he doesn't get the same amount of yards he can still be better since more guys will get the ball. I'm thinking he's a 15+ TD guy this year.

-OL, OL, OL. If Romo is getting killed then he can't get the ball to Dez, Witten, Austin, or even the backs. Same thing with the running game. Like with takeaways on D they just need to be decent to give the other guys room to work. I'm crossing my fingers like crazy on this one.

I'm excited for the season. Can't wait to see how much the younger guys are going to step up this year. People like Dez, Bruce Lee, Murray, Claiborne, and Tyron Smith can really make this team a contender if they grow into top players this season. The potential is there, so I hope they can live up to it.
100% Accurate. Nicely said

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Won't surprise me one bit if the OL ends up being a strong unit this year. I think they're gonna get a huge boost up the middle from Frederick alone. I also think schematically we will be doing some things to help block/protect using additional TEs as blockers.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:20 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Won't surprise me one bit if the OL ends up being a strong unit this year. I think they're gonna get a huge boost up the middle from Frederick alone. I also think schematically we will be doing some things to help block/protect using additional TEs as blockers.
I guess your expecting some additions to the current line as well? I know I am.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
I guess your expecting some additions to the current line as well? I know I am.
No. I'm not at this point. If we do, I doubt it would be a sure starter. If anything someone cut from another team...

What I think is very possible is that:

- Tyron will be better
- Free will be better (or Parnell could overtake him)
- Frederick will make a big impact in the middle
- Leary could be a big surprise
- and I already think Livings can be adequate

...and if not, the overall depth of the unit should not be as scary.

Last edited by D-Unit : 08-22-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do have to say that the preseason is making me like the Frederick pick a lot more than I did. Before I didn't know much about him, so I just liked the facts such as he was smart, strong, and durable. But in the preseason so far outside of a few plays he looks like a really solid guy, and there's room for growth. I don't like him at guard at all, but at center he's got a lot to like. They just need to get some guys next to him. Mack keeps saddening me with that 73 considering LA is my idol. *sniff*

Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Raiders are getting destroyed. Probably the worst team in the NFL. We might have done the same last week if not for all the turnovers.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:06 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

*sigh* This damn OL really needs to get Leary back and get another guard besides Mack.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:11 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Bruce Carter is so damn awesome.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
*sigh* This damn OL really needs to get Leary back and get another guard besides Mack.
Noticed the LG spot as the weak point. Granted they are being asked to 1v1 Geno a lot which is stupid in and of itself. Frederick has been a monster and actually seems to be cognizant about incoming stunts. Outside of the LG spot there has been little bothersome pressure though which is a VAST departure. Romo not being bothered had him at 100% for the majority of the half lets hope the line can keep him on an even-keel and we should be able to put up some points.

Dez Bryant is probably the best WR in the league outside of Megatron. Absolutely stupid good.

Another great takeaway is that our defense while absolutely boring to watch after having Rob Ryan is very effective thanks to having "Bruce Lee" at linebackers. Both Lee and Carter are pro-bowlers barring injury.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ROFL. Bengals FINALLY move the ball and I get worried then realize it's their 1s versus our 2s.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:44 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

I'm liking Holloman a lot. He's a good position to learn a bit behind the vets and maybe take over as the starter in two years after Durant's contract is up. He knows how to use his athleticism well.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm liking Holloman a lot. He's a good position to learn a bit behind the vets and maybe take over as the starter in two years after Durant's contract is up. He knows how to use his athleticism well.
Agreed. Murray should not be running with the 2s. He is making their defense look terrible.

Also - I was always on the Kirkpatrick hate train but holy hell has he been terrible this game. Romo was picking on him and now Orton is as well.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

ROFL. Captain Checkdown (Orton) swings it to Murray and he breaks 5 tackles for a TD.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:06 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Another strip?! Man Kiffin and Marinelli really have these guys thinking takeaway all the time.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:01 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

That's four takeaways this game, and if I'm not mistaken the D has had multiple takeaways in each preseason game so far. Kiffin and Marinelli really look like they could be difference makers this season.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

For the record if Doug Free plays that well at right guard long-term I will certainly eat some crow. He played very well over there.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Before I got into the game just wanted to highlight this as well. I think we have a starter there at the SLB who has a nose for the football and creating turnovers. He fits just beautifully into this defense. Just gonna post this again for his outlook after the draft saying how he should have gone much sooner: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...ms-lb-holloman

As for the game. Parnell needs to be our RT. Maybe he wasn't 100% early on in camp, but he's back to the guy he was last year. He's at least a solid option out there and when he latches on you can't beat him. Best thing about him is he does exactly what you want, don't notice him. When you put him in at LT you didn't notice he was in. That's all you can ask for, he never gets beat as bad or as consistent as Free does out there. His thing is he doesn't do anything special for you; he's not going to move up to the 2nd level looking for who to clear out, he isn't going to move out and seal the edge because he isn't fast enough as that was evident on Dez' first screen catch.

And as to Free he did look ok at Guard. At least better then Tackle. If we get Leary back at LG, then Free as our RG as the weakest position of the line is much better then what it was last year. Frederick is a beast, still love that pick, Tyron I expect to take a jump forward but not worried about him because his best football will be played on his 2nd contract. He's 22 years old. I am a big fan of Leary at LG so obviously I want that to happen and although we should have gotten Winston or Clabo Parnell should be the RT over Free. Let Livings, Free, & Arkin battle over the RG spot.

Defense has me sold. It's off-season 1, guys aren't confused, lining up wrong, looking around when the ball is snapped, and causing turnovers. All those things were an issue with Rob years in. There is a de emphasis on the Safety position here and that works in our favor where as the old scheme both Safeties are in man coverage a ton.

Guys fit perfectly for it. Look at the LB core with Lee, Carter, Durant & Holloman. Look at guys like Ernie Sims and Georgie Selvie. Two unheralded guys that are cheap, but excellent depth in this scheme and both are making plays. Ware hasn't missed a beat. My only concerns are Claiborne missing time that's needed for a breakout season, and Spencer/Ratliff both missing out on reps. I think they'll fit just fine.

I do understand we'll always be the team that gets penalties at the worst time and turns the ball over, but I honestly think we'll be a 9/10 win team and in the playoffs. Having a player as good as Dez is tends to swing the impact meter in your favor, and that's easily the difference in a game or 2. We were a pinky finger away from 9 wins, I don't think 10 is a huge difference if we can create some turnovers this year.

We have some things to be excited about IMO. The line is still an area of concern but what team doesn't have one position to be concerned about? Our division is full of them, and if our "concern" can play similiar to last night vs a great front 4 we should be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 08-25-2013 at 02:09 PM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:05 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Coach Jason Garrett indicated that Doug Free may stay at right guard permanently.

Garrett said the Cowboys had been thinking about kicking Free inside for months. They were finally able to do it once RT Jermey Parnell (hamstring) returned to practice last week. Free started the regular season dress rehearsal at right guard, and Pro Football Focus gave him a solid grade in pass protection. Once everyone is healthy, the Cowboys appear to want a front five that consists of LT Tyron Smith, LG Ronald Leary, C Travis Frederick, RG Free, and RT Parnell. That'd still be one of the weaker units in the league.

Source: Dallas Morning News
Aug 26 - 6:25 PM

Gotta love this news. So basically, we have 4 new starters on the line except for Tyron Smith back at LT. First of all, that alone, is an upgrade, because if we trotted out the same line again it was going to be a disaster. But I feel like Frederick has been owning so Center looks good, Parnell is solid at RT and Free should be ok at RG, I like Leary and his potential but need to see it from him first.

So while Shariff Floyd is on the shelf nursing an injury Frederick has been owning at Center for us and is a great upgrade for our interior line. Can anyone imagine how bad we'd be without him? And if we had drafted an injury prone player nobody would certainly give Jerry any passes for it, it would just be he drafted an injury prone player and didn't upgrade our biggest weakness. That's why I just like to let some of the guys we have play first and see how it looks. We have at least 3 starters from this class so far, and if we can find 1 more stud at RT or G next year we'll be just fine.

I still wanted Winston, but we appear to be doing all I wanted and that was move Free off of RT, I felt like that was taking 2 steps back. Key for us is staying healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

The scheme transition cannot be minimized either. Doug Free was an AWFUL fit for drive-blocking. Utilizing more zone means you ask Free to use techniques and traps to guide the defensive player out of the hole rather than simply bully him.

Our play action fakes are dead-sexy too. I rewatched some of those and you cannot tell when we are running the ball or running a play-fake based on the line.

Free has played a lot better and honestly reminds more of old, good, Doug Free rather than the atrocity of last year. If we gets kicked inside and isn't horrible I will definitely be eating some crow. I did not believe he had the requisite strength to move the move even with the transition to zone looks.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Alrighty Aphrodite! Let's roll! I can deal with that move! It might be unconventional, but it sounds like something I would do if I were HC! Think out of the box! :)
Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Gotta love this news. So basically, we have 4 new starters on the line except for Tyron Smith back at LT. First of all, that alone, is an upgrade, because if we trotted out the same line again it was going to be a disaster. But I feel like Frederick has been owning so Center looks good, Parnell is solid at RT and Free should be ok at RG, I like Leary and his potential but need to see it from him first.

So while Shariff Floyd is on the shelf nursing an injury Frederick has been owning at Center for us and is a great upgrade for our interior line. Can anyone imagine how bad we'd be without him? And if we had drafted an injury prone player nobody would certainly give Jerry any passes for it, it would just be he drafted an injury prone player and didn't upgrade our biggest weakness. That's why I just like to let some of the guys we have play first and see how it looks. We have at least 3 starters from this class so far, and if we can find 1 more stud at RT or G next year we'll be just fine.

I still wanted Winston, but we appear to be doing all I wanted and that was move Free off of RT, I felt like that was taking 2 steps back. Key for us is staying healthy.
Was Floyd injury prone in College or are you making that up? If you consider him IP what would you say about Claiborne, Murray, Ratliff, Austin(FA), Matt Johnson? We drafted all those guys, other than Johnson I havent heard anybody complaining about Jerry drafting Injury prone guys have you?

Im going to wait to see how the O-line does. If Leary gets back and stays healthy, along with Fredrick, looks to be a big upgrade over last year. Still not sold on the right side yet though.

Oh, and BTW...Tom Pelissero
Floyd could play this week if it were a real game. It's not, and #Vikings can't take any chances in light of KW's situation, so he won't.
8:57 AM - 26 Aug 2013

So much for Floyd being "injury prone"

Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Heres BTBs reveiw of our O-line after the Cinn game

Offensive line - The experiment with Doug Free at guard and Jeremy Parnell at tackle offered up some mixed results. On the positive side, Free did a credible job of being a starting guard. The Cowboys could use him there and not be too anxious. He did have some problems - when asked to take on his man in the running game he occasionally got stood straight up or even pushed into the backfield. This is not his strength. He was good in pass protection (except for a couple plays) and very good when getting to second-level blocks on running plays. But you probably don't want Free playing guard because Jeremy Parnell isn't ready to play tackle yet. Whether it's rust from injury or he's just back-up caliber, Parnell had a rough game. He was late getting to blocks against lineman allowing them to make tackles in the backfield or disrupt the play. He was late getting out on a screen pass and wasn't sure about who to block in pass protection on a couple of plays. If Ron Leary isn't ready for the opener, there are questions about Parnell's ability to get it done at tackle at this point.

The two best linemen on Dallas right now are Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick. I don't think there's any doubt about that. Smith was good in the game, only losing his man on a couple of plays. Frederick is manning the center like a champ. I'm still no fan of the play of Mackenzy Bernadeau, just watch the first offensive play from scrimmage for an example. When asked to zone block he can be late getting to his man, he also is not always stout on straight ahead run blocking. Then again, he did have some plays in the game where he busted up his man, leading to good runs. He still bears watching in the regular season, if another team cuts a competent guard in the final cuts Dallas should take a look.