Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 AM    (permalink
Pack_Attack_4
Rookie

Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Predicting 53 man roster before 3rd preseason game

QB :: Aaron Rodgers : Vince Young
RB/FB :: Eddie Lacy : DaJuan Harris : Johnathan Franklin : Alex Green
WR :: Jordy Nelson : Randall Cobb : James Jones : Jarrett Boykin : Tyrone Walker : Jeremy Ross
TE :: Jermichael Finley : Brandon Bostick : Andrew Quarless : Ryan Taylor : DJ Williams
OT :: David Bakhtiari : Don Barclay : Marshall Newhouse
OG/C :: Josh Sitton : TJ Lang : Evan Dietrich-Smith : Greg Van Roten : Lane Taylor

Offense: 25

DL :: Datone Jones : BJ Raji : CJ Wilson : Ryan Pickett : Johnny Jolly : Mike Daniels : Josh Boyd
LB :: Clay Matthews : Nick Perry : Brad Jones : AJ Hawk : Robert Francois : Andy Mulumba : Mike Neal (DL) : Sam Barrington : Dezman Moses
CB :: Tramon Williams : Sam Shields : Casey Hayward : Davon House : Jarrett Bush : Micah Hyde
S :: MD Jennings : Morgan Burnett : Jerron McMillian

Defense: 25

K :: Mason Crosby
P :: Tim Masthay
LS :: Brett Goode

Specials: 3

It becomes easier to predict the roster when the likes of Bulaga, Sherrod and Tretter are too injured to compete for a spot.
Wheres kuhn. I think we keep him over alex green or ryan taylor
Pack_Attack_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:26 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Kuhn makes it over DJ. Or Quarless goes on PUP again, something with his leg.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack_Attack_4 View Post
Wheres kuhn. I think we keep him over alex green or ryan taylor
Kuhn provides this team with absolutely nothing now that Lacy is on the roster.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Kuhn provides this team with absolutely nothing now that Lacy is on the roster.
I've said this before, but I think the blocking and reliability he provides is more important to Ted than we think. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I'd be surprised if Kuhn is left off the roster.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:17 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
I've said this before, but I think the blocking and reliability he provides is more important to Ted than we think. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I'd be surprised if Kuhn is left off the roster.
His blitz pickup is reliable but he is not a great lead blocker. And while it is fun to hear the chants when he catches a 5 yard screen pass he isn't really a threat out of the backfield. Defenses will concede short dump offs to Kuhn all day.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could see us dumping Kuhn and making D.J. Williams a more dedicated HBack.

I think Quarless would have to be 100% in order for that move to be made, however. That would give us Finley, Quarless, Mulligan as tight ends and D.J. as an HBack.

It also would require Lacy showing a ton of reliability as a pass blocker. Harris and Franklin are never going to be elite in that regards, they simply aren't big enough, and there is no way we go into the season without an option at HB that can pass block consistently at a high level (as Kuhn can.)

Also, I for one am I fan of playing the corners on one side and sticking to it. This is apparently the majority plan for this year, rather than sticking a certain corner on a certain WR. I've felt the past couple seasons that Capers has made the defense overly complicated from a players standpoint which has led to a lot of breakdowns. It worked when we had a defensive roster full of elite players (ie.. tramon VS.2010, Collins, Raji VS.2010, Matthews, Jenkins, Bishop VS.2010, Woodson, etc..) but when we lost a bunch of those guys and others suffered injuries and couldn't play as well, the increasingly complicated schemes were just too much.

Stick a corner on a side and let them play. Have a safety (or both) play deep zones. Play around with the front seven but let those back guys have a more straightforward job.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 08-22-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
His blitz pickup is reliable but he is not a great lead blocker. And while it is fun to hear the chants when he catches a 5 yard screen pass he isn't really a threat out of the backfield. Defenses will concede short dump offs to Kuhn all day.
I feel Ryan Taylor would be able to fill his role and given his nasty demeanor I think he could actually be a decent lead blocker if he was asked to do so.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

ESPN.com doesn't project Packers TE D.J. Williams to make the final roster.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kuhn makes too much for a FB and isn't that good anymore with his lead blocking, but I think he makes the team. The staff likes him

I'll take a stab at the final 53. I agree with ESPN that DJ doesn't make it
Old 08-22-2013, 07:17 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

The Bills have had discussions with teams about Jarius Byrd. I know there's zero chance Ted would make a deal for him but he would greatly improve our secondary and make our defense potentially one of the best in the league. Byrd has lived in the Green Bay area before, having started high school in Pulaski.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Bills have had discussions with teams about Jarius Byrd. I know there's zero chance Ted would make a deal for him but he would greatly improve our secondary and make our defense potentially one of the best in the league. Byrd has lived in the Green Bay area before, having started high school in Pulaski.
It would also mean playing Burnett at SS and I really think the staff wants to give him a chance to shine at FS.

No way it happens. Plus, it would cost at least a 2nd rounder.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
It would also mean playing Burnett at SS and I really think the staff wants to give him a chance to shine at FS.

No way it happens. Plus, it would cost at least a 2nd rounder.
The staff wants to give him a chance and in my opinion it's a waste of time because he's simply not a play making, ball hawk type safety that we see out of top tier free safeties. Byrd has 18 career interceptions and has a knack for making plays on the football. Our roster is loaded with strong safeties; we haven't had a free safety since Collins got injured.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Problem is the money he is commanding. Pack still have a few other guys they need to take care of, and don't have as much going forward with Clay/Rodgers already having their extensions. I just don't see it happening at all

would love it, but we know by now how this team operates under TT, so it's useless to even get the idea in your head, as tempting as it is.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:47 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, If the speculation is true that he is looking to be the highest paid safety in the league, there is a below zero chance it happens. It would be unlikely even without the contract complications, but that just seals it.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Vince is going to make the team!

Old 08-24-2013, 03:38 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Vince is going to make the team!
Packers Will Release Graham Harrell.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Writing was on the wall
Old 08-24-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Regarding DJ Williams, I really thought he was going to step up this season and make Kuhn expendable. So far, his blocking has been subpar and he's not a very good receiver. I thought he'd be a great H-Back, so for me he's one of the more disappointing draft picks in the past few years.

I like what I've seen from Lacy in blitz pickup, so I still don't think Kuhn is safe.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

For all the flack VY gets, he will make for one of the better backup QBs in the NFL. Quite an upgrade over Harrell.

Sure, he might have a funky throwing motion and accuracy issues but he also has superb size, scrambling ability and the ability to make plays when they matter. He's a guy that would actually give us a chance to win a few games if Rodgers went down.

The question is, and has always been, his maturity and work ethic. So we'll see how that works out.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

I know a few guys on another board who threw huge temper tantrums when VY was signed, but I immediately viewed him as an upgrade over Harrell. Is/was he a headcase? Maybe. But Harrell just isn't a guy who can win any games in the NFL.

I hope Young never has to play, but if he has to step in for a quarter or two then I wouldn't feel like we're screwed.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:35 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
Sure, he might have a funky throwing motion and accuracy issues but he also has superb size,........
I just think for a QB, that "accuracy issues" are not a "but".
I think that's huge.

I love VY's running ability yes, but with this OL, we can't rely on the run. We will need a QB who can get the ball upfield to Jordy, Jones, Cobb, and J-Mike.

I can't believe guys like Young & Tebow simply never learned how to properly throw a football.

My little 8-year old son can throw a better ball, seriously. Tight spiral, normal arm motion, not herky-jerky.

VY runs like Kaepernick, but Colin throws lazers and very accurate.
Young, well, you've seen him throw a lot.

I do have more faith that Young can finish a game than Harrell can, but I don't understand why we can't go with the veteran backup who can pass.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:43 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Matt Flynn has looked awful in Oakland. Granted, not much chance for success there, but it appears he's lost the starting job, again, as he did last year in Seattle.

It's possible Oakland releases him before they get to their final roster.

Could he end up back where he began, as Rodgers backup?
Actually he was supposed to be #3 when it all began, behind Brian Brohm.

But his niche, perhaps, is Packers backup QB.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:47 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Matt Flynn has looked awful in Oakland. Granted, not much chance for success there, but it appears he's lost the starting job, again, as he did last year in Seattle.

It's possible Oakland releases him before they get to their final roster.

Could he end up back where he began, as Rodgers backup?
Actually he was supposed to be #3 when it all began, behind Brian Brohm.

But his niche, perhaps, is Packers backup QB.
I've always expected this to happen. Sort of like Doug Pederson.

I wish Flynn the best, but if he came back to be a professional clipboard holder, I'd be pretty happy.

Last edited by WCH : 08-24-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:45 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

K Zach Ramirez has been signed.

WR Alex Gillett, QB Graham Harrell, WR Omarius Hines, RB Angelo Pease, DT Gilbert Pena and WR Justin Wilson have all been released.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:52 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

With how poor of a showing the offensive line had in terms of the running game Friday night, can we label the flip of the guards a failure? At the end of last season, with Sitton and Barclay on the right side, we were running the ball much better and now that those two are split we get no push at the point of attack.