Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am seriously starting to doubt if Tandon Doss makes the final roster.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:26 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn, this dude Marlon Brown though!!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:57 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu_22 View Post
I am seriously starting to doubt if Tandon Doss makes the final roster.
Don't see any reason why he should...

Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Brandon Stokley are the top 3 guys.

Marlon Brown played like the recruit he was out of high school and Aaron Mellette has made some big plays this preseason too.

Deonte Thompson needs to come back from his injury, but I'd still put him over Doss at the moment for his return skills, speed, and slot ability. LaQuan Williams is a solid special teamer and made a few plays in the passing game. He's the type player coaches will always like to have on their team.

Those would be my top 7 and we might only keep 6. Don't see any room for Doss.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No way Mellette or brown make it past waivers. We should keep both of them. Does Thompson have any practice squad eligibility? We may IR stash him. If we keep 6 WR then it will be between him and laquan. That will probably come down to special teams play and Williams should have the advantage there.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
No way Mellette or brown make it past waivers. We should keep both of them. Does Thompson have any practice squad eligibility? We may IR stash him. If we keep 6 WR then it will be between him and laquan. That will probably come down to special teams play and Williams should have the advantage there.
"According to league policy, only certain types of players are allowed to sign to the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year, nor can players be allowed to spend more than two seasons on the same teamís squad unless that teamís active roster never dips below 53 players."

Thompson would be PS eligible, having only played 6 games last year. However, I think he'd get picked up on waivers and definitely views himself as a contributor on this team or any other team he'd go to. I think Harbaugh sees him the same way, and his injury isn't supposed to be serious, so while IR stash is a reasonable option, it'd surprise me.

Since Thompson participated in training camp and a preseason game, I don't think he can go on the PUP. I don't think there's any way around it, but that would give time for him to heal and see if the young guys can develop.

I don't want to hype up Marlon Brown or Aaron Mellette too much, but if we are talking about 4th and 5th WR options on a team, I think they are solid enough considering the fact that Ray Rice and the TE's will see a bunch of targets. In my opinion, Thompson needs to spend as much time around Stokley to learn the slot position. Torrey, Jacoby and the rookies are all outside guys.

On another note, really pleased with how the D-line shaped up last night. Marcus Spears is as advertised as a run stopper. Art Jones looked solid. Terrance Cody even had some moments. Brandon Williams looks like he could be a heck of a player - he was even on kick return as a lead wedge guy. I like Bynes and Arthur Brown switching off for now. Bynes definitely has value as an Ed Hartwell type thumper.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure Thompson is really a slot WR though. His skillset is fairly similar to Smith's and his speed is more of the vertical variety rather than side-to-side like you want a speedster slot option to be. I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Mellette or Brown on the outside (if they prove to be worthy of real game paying time) with Jones in the slot.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IDK Thompson was talked about as a slot guy all off season and played it in tampa before he got hurt.

I am just amazed with Marlon Browns catch radius and how he attacks the ball in the air. I think we definetly have a UDFA steal on our hands.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:39 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From what I've seen of Thompson he's more of a vertical threat. I guess there isn't a big sample size for me to go off of though. At this point I'm expecting Stokely to be the main slot receiver regardless of what anyone else does. It'll be interesting to see who plays on the outside opposite of Smith. Jones hasn't really done anything to lock it down and with the young guys like Mellette and Brown getting a lot of hype there seems to be a real competition at that spot.

I'm changing my mind everyday about how the WR situation will play out but here's my current guess:

Marlon Brown - makes active roster
Rashaad Carter - cut
Tandon Doss - cut
Jacoby Jones - makes active roster
Aaron Mellette - makes active roster
Gerrard Sheppard - cut
Torrey Smith - makes active roster
Brandon Stokley - makes active roster
Tommy Streeter - cut
Deonte Thompson - makes active roster
LaQuan Williams - makes active roster

I have 7 receivers making the active roster. That's one more than normal but I don't see any of them getting cut. Mellette and/or Brown could be practice squad candidates. To me both of them would have to not make the roster for Doss to have a chance. He's been a big disappointment for me, I really thought he was going to be the guy to step up in training camp. Sigh... Streeter is kind of a disappointment too but only because of what he could be with those physical tools. Seems like that's all there is too him.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:16 AM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Streeter, Shiancoe and Ramon Harewood cut along with 9 more: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...1-103d0007dcbe
Nothing to surprising.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

damn im heart broken Bryan Hall got cut. He seemed like a real popular teammate and he lost 50 freaking pounds to get a chance at LB. I think he may have PS eligibility so hopefully we bring him back and let him work out at LB for a season.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:01 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

QB-Flacco/Taylor
RB-Rice/Pierce/Rainey
FB-Leach/Juice
WR-Smith/Stokley/Mellette
TE-Dickson/Clark/Bajema
LT-McKinnie/Wagner
LG-KO
C-GRadkowski/Shipley
RG-Yanda/Ried
RT-Oher
WR-Jones/Brown/Doss

DE-Canty/Williams
NT-Ngata/Cody
DE-Jones/Spears/Tyson
OLB-Suggs/McPhee/Simon
MLB-Smith/McLellan
MLB-Brown/Bynes
OLB-Upshaw/Doom
CB-Smith/Brown/Anthony
FS-Huff/BRown/Levine
SS-Elam/Ihedibo
CB-Webb/Graham

K-Tucker
P-Koch
LS-Cox
Old 08-31-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

Omar Brown and Matt Furstenburg cut. Was hoping that both of them would make the roster, especially Brown. :-(
Old 08-31-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Same here with brown. I'm sure Furstenburg will be practice squaded. I'm just shocked we have 2 running backs on the roster
Old 08-31-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

The Ravens are down to 53 players on the active roster. Here's a rough depth chart of who made it:

QB: Flacco - Taylor
RB: Rice - Pierce
FB: Leach - Juszczyk
WR: T. Smith - J. Jones - Stokley - M. Brown - Mellette - L. Williams - Thompson
TE: Dickson - Clark - Pitta
OT: McKinnie - Oher - Wagner
G: Osemele - Yanda - Reid
C: Gradkowski - Shipley - Jensen

DT: A. Jones - B. Williams
NT: Ngata - Cody
DE: Canty - Spears - Tyson
OLB: Suggs - Dumervil - Upshaw - Simon - McPhee
ILB: D. Smith - Bynes - A. Brown - McClellan
CB: Webb - Graham - J. Smith - C. Brown
S: Huff - Ihedigbo - Elam - Levine - Trawick

K: Tucker
P: Koch
LS: Cox

Last edited by coordinator0 : 08-31-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:28 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

Quote:
Same here with brown. I'm sure Furstenburg will be practice squaded. I'm just shocked we have 2 running backs on the roster
Both Brown and Furst made the PS, so did 5 other players.
Does anyone know anything about Brynden Trawick, who made the final 53?
I see some nice measurables, and he made some plays against St. Louis, but besides that, I would be lying if I said I knew anything about him.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:37 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

I think Trawick is pretty much a special teams only guy. At least that's all that can be expected of him in my opinion. From what I recall Baltimore is pretty high on Levine and I'd expect him to see minutes at FS if anything happened to Huff. Trawick isn't playing over either Elam or Ihedigbo at SS so he's the 5th safety and if they make the roster those guys are usually fairly good special teams players.

The team waived Laquan Williams today with an injury designation (meaning they're either going to agree on a settlement or Williams goes on IR if he clears waivers) and also claimed LB Robert James from the Falcons. Lost one special teams player but gained another. Seems like there's going to be a couple more moves if/when Pitta and Jensen get placed on IR. I gotta believe that they're adding a TE and a RB. Maybe a CB but other than that every other position is set.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I read they are still having Bajema sit through meetings and everything and when they come to the final decision on Pitta (IR or IR designation) he will become an active player
Old 09-02-2013, 11:22 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

I guess that's not a surprise. Furstenburg would have been my choice over Bajema but at least they were able to keep him on the practice squad.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

we brought Tandon Doss back. That right there shows we are in a tight spot. Also all this we should have kept boldin is going to be annyoing for the rest of the season.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:45 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Losing Pitta hurt way more than losing Boldin. I think we would have been fine with Torrey, Jacoby and Pitta as our top 3 options. Losing Pitta and Jones really puts us in a bad spot. Not the best but it would have worked. The guys like Stokely would be used sparingly on 3rd downs. As it sits now we are kinda ******. Doss should help but Torrey is the only receiver we can count on and he is easily negated with safety help. Dickson hopefully can get more focused with his hands.

I am worried but it is still way to early to give up. It was Mannings day and we felt it. He is just too good with that many weapons. Webb only gave up like 1 catch but Manning can move guys and target anywhere. The defense will play better with some communication work.

We need to establish a better run game. We all know Flacco shouldn't be putting up even 50+ attempts, especially with the receivers we now have. We need to return to our run gave and lean heavily on it. I felt like we tried to get our OL moving too much and the DL would just shoot the gaps. We should be able to get some power down with this OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

I actually don't think Doss was re-signed because he's a receiver, but because he can be a returner. The team knows they can't have Pierce or Webb out there returning and Doss is familiar with the team and can contribute right away. Maybe he sees some time as the 4th receiver while Jones and Thompson are hurt but probably not much more. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mellette activated as seeing playing time over Doss either, in fact I expect it.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I think against the Browns we will dress Smith/Brown/Stokely/Doss, IDK if we will dress 5 WR since we only had 4 against the Broncoes. This was why I wanted David Reed as our designated special teamer instead of Laquan Williams and that random LB we cut.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
Losing Pitta hurt way more than losing Boldin. I think we would have been fine with Torrey, Jacoby and Pitta as our top 3 options. Losing Pitta and Jones really puts us in a bad spot. Not the best but it would have worked. The guys like Stokely would be used sparingly on 3rd downs. As it sits now we are kinda ******. Doss should help but Torrey is the only receiver we can count on and he is easily negated with safety help. Dickson hopefully can get more focused with his hands.

I agree with this. Our WR played well against the Broncos. Smith/ and Brown played well and Jacoby did have 3 catches in a little under a half. I hope Clark and Dickson get it together, or Thompson comes in and produces in the slot. We need someone to take the shorter routes.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:37 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think against the Browns we will dress Smith/Brown/Stokely/Doss, IDK if we will dress 5 WR since we only had 4 against the Broncoes. This was why I wanted David Reed as our designated special teamer instead of Laquan Williams and that random LB we cut.
Williams could return kicks and punts too. Both he and Reed are versatile special teams players. Not particularly good returners but decent enough to get by and they're really solid gunners.

Depends who they decide to deactivate for the Browns game. Jacoby Jones, Arthur Jones, Ryan Jensen, Deonte Thompson, and Brandon Williams are probably out due to health. That leaves two more and I doubt they only take four receivers again after getting burned by it against the broncos. Especially if Doss is going to be a returner.

On a side note it's nice that there really aren't any guys on the roster that you can say are definitely going to be deactivated because they're just not worth playing. The depth on this team is great. Just have to work out some of the new kinks (and get some guys healthy).
Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 AM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First of all, this 'we shouldn't have cut Boldin' crap is even starting to annoy me. Fans can be frustrated seeing their team not performing and questioning the decisions from our front office, but when I see and hear the so-called experts questioning the move, it annoys me. They should know better.

Besides that, show me a team, where they can lose their #2 #3 #4 pass catcher and still brag about their depth? What if Broncos lost Thomas, Welker and Decker? I am not comparing ability but roles on the team here. The position where we had the least experience is also where the injury bug hit the hardest, that happens sometimes, but it doesn't mean the earth is falling or that we should panic and trade for a new wideout who had to come in with no preparation and try and find chemistry with Flacco.

Therefor im not entirely happy, but comfortable with us bringing back Doss, as we know what he can contribute with, bith as a returner/special teamer and as a pass catcher.

If I should be concerned about one thing, its the poor poor play we saw from Huff. A veteran shouldn't make those mistakes or take such bad angles as he did. The same could be said about Ihedigbo for some parts.
Dan#7 is offline   Reply With Quote