Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-05-2013, 09:44 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why do kitkats from England taste better?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Overseas chocolate in general shits on our chocolate.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:59 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

American chocolate is often just brown wax.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:46 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Nexus tablet?

If you mean phone then ditto... tablet on the other hand naw.
Yeah, I mean the phone. My Galaxy S II is getting fairly long in the tooth at this point and I have stopped treating it as well as I should. October/early November isn't that far away either.

I really don't think I would use a tablet a whole ton. I still like my laptop for on the go situations. Better web browsing experience and the ability to actually get **** done isn't even close. Some of the new convertible ultrabooks are kind of interesting as the tablet form factor can be more comfortable for certain situations, but they're pretty expensive and lack the speczzzezzzz that I can get from the traditional form factor. Still, I'll likely end up with one in a few years.

...and yeah, foreign chocolate is oftentimes better. I'm not the biggest chocolate guy in general, but my experience with English stuff has been pretty good.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish google would tighten up the chromebooks cuz I would love one....super affordable.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderz4Life View Post
I wish google would tighten up the chromebooks cuz I would love one....super affordable.
What do you mean by "tighten up"?

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chromebooks suck.

I rather use my phone or an iPad to surf the net than a ****** ass chromebook.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think I could ever do a Chromebook. If they managed to leverage the desktop UI into some sort of Android desktop mode thing, I would be the first in line. It just doesn't make sense as it's own thing anymore though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-05-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Sure, it knocks out those specific(and important) needs at a fairly effective price point, but most people you talk to would want the additional functionality something like Android would offer. It's not like the specs of most Chromebooks couldn't handle it either. Most of those would make for admirable tablet experiences in addition to the semi-traditional desktop thing. A hinge and a software layer wouldn't cost much.

Shoot, you can get Microsoft to write the OS integration. They seem to have a thing for writing OS's that feature two competing UI's lately.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-05-2013, 02:38 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All I care about is the Nexus 5 now guys.

Someone make it happen sooner.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
What do you mean by "tighten up"?
Performance gets a little sluggish at times although I've only used my friend's chromebook for a few hours and she has the Samsung one that's like $250.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
i dunno how many people really want much more than basic web browsing. think about your parents, what are they really doing on the computer? how many people don't have cell phones with all the stupid apps? i'd guess most people use their computer for:

1) internet (social media, streaming from netflix/pandora/whatever)
2) office software

99999) anything else
I accept your premise, personally.

....but why do people tend to buy more tablets than similarly low spec portable computers? Besides Mobile OS's performing better with lesser specs, there's a wealth of applications to engage with that wouldn't exist without hardware level access to a device. Eventually, pulling everything down from a server will be the way we do things, but internet speeds simply aren't at the level where we can replicate a local experience yet. Especially in this country.

Plus, people like the form factor. Why not combine the advantages of both form factors for something even more useful?

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-05-2013, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

A friend of mine is selling his nexus 7 tablet. 2012 32gb...says he'd let me have it for $120...good deal? I've only heard good things about the nexus 7 and I have been thinking about getting a tablet for a while.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 09-05-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderz4Life View Post
A friend of mine is selling his nexus 7 tablet. 2012 32gb...says he'd let me have it for $120...good deal? I've only heard good things about the nexus 7 and I have been thinking about getting a tablet for a while.
Save your money and buy a better car.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

I'm getting a new car sometime in the near future but my car works perfectly fine thank you! Hasn't had any problems since I blew the dizzy and main relay.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I think we're coming from the same place but reaching different conclusions.

With one exception; I don't think the form factor sucks. Admittingly, the only tablet I've ever spend serious time with was the ill fated Surface RT, but I found it to be fairly useful for certain situations. If I'm sitting in bed, it's not bad for flicking through some low interaction websites and watching movies or something. The size advantage makes it more suited for things like that than a phone. I think you're underestimating how much people like touch experiences for light use too.

...but yeah, I fully acknowledge that it sucks for getting anything done. There's tons of third(and sometimes first) party docks out there to try to remedy this, but why not integrate those directly into the design? I don't think many products have done that. Microsoft kind of did(and third party vendors continue to do it with convertibles), but why not offer an Android based solution for that?

EDIT:

I'm aware of the Asus Transformer. Haven't played with one yet, but I think the main problem with that is that the existing Android interface just doesn't play super well with keyboard and mouse.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 09-05-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:51 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My Nexus 7 is awesome and is a solid deal for that.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
All I care about is the Nexus 5 now guys.

Someone make it happen sooner.
I'm just really upset that my GNex had to take a **** on me before the nexus 5 came out. The droid maxx is cool, and all of the rumored specs are about the same as my phone, but I just miss the vanilla droid software.

sig by BoneKrusher
GM Vikings
Quote:
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:35 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_28 View Post
I'm just really upset that my GNex had to take a **** on me before the nexus 5 came out. The droid maxx is cool, and all of the rumored specs are about the same as my phone, but I just miss the vanilla droid software.
Just root it and find a ROM. Not sure if they're out there for that specific device yet, but I would be surprised if they aren't.

I went vanilla for the first time in a long time a few months ago. I quite liked Samsung's overlay for what it was, but some changes they made to it in an update made it far less appealing for me. Really glad I did though. So much smoother and more efficient than Touchwiz and most of what I've tried.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-05-2013, 09:50 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I tried to look up how to root it. The phone is so new (>two weeks old) that nothing has been out yet.

sig by BoneKrusher
GM Vikings
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Ah. My mistake. Give it some time. Someone on XDA will find a way sooner rather than later.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Odd. When the Nexus 4 came out people had it rooted the first day.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-06-2013, 07:48 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

Its probably easier since I think most Google/Nexus phones have an unlocked bootloader.

I could be easily mistaken though.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:01 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

That Nexus tablet looks bad ass. I might have to get one. I'd feel filthy for doing it though.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Odd. When the Nexus 4 came out people had it rooted the first day.
In reality, the nexus 4 was basically a carbon copy of the Galaxy Nexus. And per Cain's comment, the bootloader came unlocked already. If the price is right, I may still buy a nexus 5 and just add it to my verizon phone plan, but that would be over $600 spent on phones in the last 4 months.

sig by BoneKrusher
GM Vikings
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.