Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 09-12-2013, 06:52 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also; Dobson active. Panic over for now. Sudfeld is hurt though. The passing game goes through the receivers tonight exclusively.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are a thoroughly mediocre team.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:42 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh we haven't seen our offense with a healthy Gronk, Amendola, and Vereen at the same time. Maybe that never happens, but I don't think we can base our offensive performance as indicative for the whole season when it's the Julian Edelman show.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:46 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dobson's hands sure look good.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
To me this is put up or shut up time for the defense. Lets make this clear, the Jets offense is horrible. They have exactly 2 players I would classify as above average on that side of the ball. We should under no circumstance allow over 17-20 points to that unit. We've invested money and picks for years into our defense. We have 6 former first round picks starting who all have are generally more experienced than their counterparts on the other side of the ball. The offense has gone out and dragged their sorry excuse of a performance to victories for years now. Tonight is the night for them to return the favor.

They're facing a unit that they thoroughly outclass talent-wise. They need to prove it on the field.
Well it played out like I hoped. Still damn though, that was ugly.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good lord thank god we have extended time to work on the offense here. ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

There's got to be someone out there who can give us a little bit more than what we're getting. It'll be interesting to see if any roster moves are made.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-12-2013, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
There's got to be someone out there who can give us a little bit more than what we're getting. It'll be interesting to see if any roster moves are made.
There has to be some guys out there on the waiver wire that aren't afraid to catch a football. Maybe 10 days is enough time to get Gronkowski and Amendola back.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't often say I feel bad for guys who are married to Brazillian super models and make millions of dollars, but after watching the Pats receivers play the last two weeks I feel really bad for Tom Brady.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
I don't often say I feel bad for guys who are married to Brazillian super models and make millions of dollars, but after watching the Pats receivers play the last two weeks I feel really bad for Tom Brady.
I feel bad for him till he gets home from work.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Media seems to think Edelman performed super great with his catches. To an extent, he did. Performed very well for a middling receiver with no ability to do anything more than a few yards past the line of scrimmage. We probably don't win that game without him. I don't see it as a performance to be happy about though. It's very tough to compile that many catches with so few yards. If he's the guy from here on out, I don't like our chances. If teams make any effort whatsoever to take him away(which the Jets did a bit towards the end), he's not going to be able to do anything.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-13-2013, 04:50 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

(I would delete the post I had but can't, so ignore this. Sorry)

Last edited by Blackluck : 09-13-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:02 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That might have been the worst football game I have ever watched, the fact that we are 2-0 is nothing short of a miracle.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dobson sure did fall apart after a fairy tale start to his NFL career. That game was not exactly littered with down field play calling, though. We need to see some kind of deep threat or the running game will be garbage.

Getting Gronk back to attack the seams and draw some attention will make a huge difference. Let's not lose sight of the fact that our top 2 pass catchers are out and these rookies have had very little time to acclimate to a difficult NFL offense.

The pass where Brady was flipping out (comeback route at the goal line) was not a read that a rookie makes. Ever. He was running at a S that was planted on the stripe and Brady basically makes the read that a comeback thrown in the dirt is the right play. Now if only I could come up with some defense for the inability to make big catches when needed.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Posted this in the the profootball forum, but is anyone at WR available for a trade? Because we should be all over that. These arent the years to be throwing away at this point. This is literally Reche Caldwell all over again and I thought we learned our damn lesson from that season.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post

The best part about that is how he takes his left hand off the ball for no good reason what so ever. For a guy who was supposed to have some of the best hands in the draft, he sure looked like it last night. Pretty brutal.

But yeah, there's clearly an acquisition coming. Jvig has a good point about trades. I hadn't considered that, but that's an option we should be beating down doors to explore. I don't think there's anyone good out there, but this **** just ain't going to work the way we've got it going right now. Thompkins didn't do a thing last night either and Boyce was completely MIA.

Sometime soon, I'll be ready to talk about the defense and how we appeared to make legitimate progress there....but not right now. Still in disbelief of how crappy we played on offense. Anyone want to donate a healthy back to Gronk or am I going to be the one to have to do it?

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-13-2013, 10:13 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I think itd take more than one of us to donate enough back mass for a guy the size of Gronk, but I'm so in at this point. He can have both my kidneys at this point too if it means we have some sort of weapon on offense. While the defense wasn't spectacular, its a step up from the years prior. We really need to be finding someone to help Brady out tho, and what worries me the most is we probably wont and this is going to be a ******* ugly year for us.

Quote:
Old 09-14-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

So Thursday night's game took me a bit longer to digest than they usually do. It was a very, very frustrating game to watch without a rooting interest. It was all the more brutal from a fans perspective. There were certainly a few positive things to take away, especially from a defensive perspective...but that's exactly the kind of win that's hard to walk away from feeling too good about.

Starting with some positives:

-Pass Rush showing up

The defensive line had a hard time generating pressure against Buffalo, especially on third down. I don't think our front four played their best game against the run, but Chandler Jones really asserted himself at times and pressured Geno into some bad decisions. Most importantly, when he got a shot at the sack, he finished. That's something he's had issues with in the past, so it's encouraging to see. Michael Buchanan is rapidly asserting himself as a major part of the defensive line rotation as well. Love what we're doing with him so far. Chandler Jones on the inside with Buchanan playing the edge has already been hard for teams to deal with and should continue to get better as the year goes on. Kelly showed up big on one play as well. Really seems to offer a lot more in the passing game than Kyle Love ever did. There were serious stretches where we couldn't get anything going here too, but that's just the way it goes sometimes, especially against mobile quarterbacks. Geno isn't a guy that is going to burn you on the ground if it's his preference, but he's capable of it. He got a few first downs with his legs, but we didn't give up huge yardage consistently or have any major breakdowns either.

-DB's, not douchebags

In spite of giving up some yardage in the passing game, I feel like our defensive backs are finally starting to play better. It remains to be seen how they'll fair against the likes of Denver, but the back half of last year and the early part of this season have seen more balls played correctly than we saw from 2007 up to that point. We still have some soft spots, but we're starting to finally get the right guys in the right places.

-Linbackers in coverage

I'm fairly certain this has more to do with Geno than anything we did, but the linbackers(and safety's for that matter) did a pretty good job keeping the backs and tight ends from being a major factor in the passing game. We gave up a little bit of yardage, but we usually see bigger impacts out of those guys. I will say that we got pretty lucky towards the start of the game with one play. Hightower got matched up on the edge with Powell and got straight up toasted. Geno missed the throw.

-Protecting Brady

This is something I haven't seen talked about much anywhere yet. I thought the pass blocking the other night was really pretty solid. The Bills got after Brady a little bit in the first game. The Jets were largely kept quiet the other night, in spite of some extended reads and longer plays. There was some penetration at times, particularly from the inside...but it was a very good night. Run blocking was another story entirely, but I think it's it's worth noting that there's at least one aspect of the passing game that's functioning on an NFL level.

-Edelman the punt returner

Subtle and something we already knew, but Edelman is an asset on special teams. One of the major reasons we ended up walking away with the win was Edelman almost single-handedly winning the field position battle. Had returns of 10, 13, 15, and 17 yards(twice). With our total ineptitude on offense, I'm not sure we win that game without Edelman producing on special teams.

Neutral to middling things;

-Edelman the receiver

18 targets produce only 78 yards. That' 4.3 yards per attempt his way. Not a bad game for a runningback...but that's our top receiver? I have to admit, we don't win the game without his contributions and some of it is a function of others not producing and putting it all on him, but I think the writing is on the wall about Edelman ever being a starting caliber receiver on a decent team. He's a limited player who doesn't offer anything beyond a very limited area after the line of scrimmage.

-Kenbrell Thompkins

Wouldn't describe it as a good effort, but he looked better than he did last week. Very nearly made a game changing play on the play in the endzone. That's a real tough catch and he very nearly came down with it. There's still a very long way to go for him and part of the reason he looked a little better was because he was targeted less, but progress is progress.

Negatives;

-Passing. All of it.

This has been and will continue to be discussed ad nauseum...but yeah. Things are bad. Yes, that bad.

The most obvious thing people will latch onto here is the Welker angle. It's very tough to feel like whatever went down with Wes Welker was in the best interest of the team. Amendola showed up huge last week...but is it really surprising to anyone that he got hurt in the first game of the year? As far as I'm concerned, he's exactly what I thought he was; a very good receiver who's body isn't built for the NFL. I'm not the biggest Welker guy in the world and I don't mind moving away from him...but it would be infinitely easier breaking in new receivers if we had someone we can depend on in some way to start the season. At the very least, counting on Amendola to be there on a consistent basis was a mistake. Especially with Gronkowski starting the year injured. That's just asking far too much too soon of the young receivers. Edelman simply isn't good enough to keep the pressure off these guys.

Dobson is interesting. On one hand, you can point out how open he was all the time. I would be interested to go back and see if that had more to do with the Jets leaving him open or if he was running away from people, but the first look made it look like he was separating from people. In spite of the drops, he was the second most targeted receiver on the team last week. There's a reason for that.

On the other hand, it's hard to walk with the positives in mind with just how much he managed to do wrong in four quarters. He has a very long way to go. I think you almost have to throw out the play he made at the start of the game. That had far more to do with the Jets being deceived by scheme. There wasn't a defender within a mile of him. He still gets credit for making the catch, but you don't belong in the NFL if you can't make that play. Aside from that, there's not much he did well. The GIF of the drop really says it all. Could the ball have been thrown a bit better? Probably. But that's a play you absolutely have to make. You kind of expect things like that with a rookie receiver, but you don't expect an additional three drops from a guy who was supposed to have the best hands in the draft. If the ball hits you on the hands, you've got to catch it. In addition to that, there were numerous times where he flat out ran the wrong route. Brady was visibly frustrated(more on that) by his performance...and rightfully so. The absolute worst thing he did the other night had nothing to do with drops or routes though. He only did it once, but he committed the cardinal sin in the NFL; not turning around and looking for the ball. Marshall may work off of a simplified reads, but in this league and with this team, if you get separation you're getting the ball. Be prepared for it. Expect it.

There's really not much to say about Boyce since he was hardly on the field. Honestly, I think that may be a coaching mistake. His game relies less on subtleties than Dobson's and Thompkins does. We were desperate for offense the other night and Boyce is going to be one of the faster guys on the field whenever he's out there. Sometimes, offense doesn't have to be rocket science. Find a way to get the guy the ball in space and let him run with it. With 4.34 speed and the kind of quickness he has, you're always a missed tackle or a defender slipping away from a shot at the endzone.

-Tom Brady's demeanor

This is getting some play locally as well as a little nationally, but I really don't feel too good about Brady being demonstrative on the field. He probably has the right to chew the receivers out a little bit if he needs to at this point, but there's much better ways to do it. There's no crying in football...but at the same time, Brady needs to keep his emotions in check. I understand that he's one of the fiercest competitors in the NFL and he holds himself to a very high standards, but I think he's starting to stray a little bit too far away from the cool field general approach he used to be known for. It's always tough to tell just how much body language actually translates to on field play, but it did look like the frustration may have effected Brady a bit. At the very least, we need him to be more patient with these receivers. It's a ****** situation and he's probably a little steamed that his reward for taking a pay cut was an unprecedented level of offensive turnover without a whole lot of thought given to replace the lost production...but even still. Work with these guys, not against them. Brady has already come out and said that he didn't like the way he carried himself, so hopefully we see him more in control the next time out.

-The running game

Ridley gets major points for hanging onto the football, but that doesn't mean anything if you can't chew up yardage. The box was stacked against him all game, but he just didn't do anything that stood out. Again, not all on him. The line got pushed around by the bigger Jets defensive linemen and really lost the battle at the point of attack. Blount was a non-factor, both as a kick returner(continues to be funny every time though) and a runner. We really needed to possess the ball more. For as well as the defense played, we can't ask them to be on the field for that long. That's on the line and the backs right now.

Bolden and Vereen continue to prove that games played is one of the most underrated statistics in sports.

Final Thoughts:

On some level, it's nice to win a game because of our defense for once. It's just unfortunate that we had to rely on them that much. We'll have to see how they hold up against teams that aren't offensively inept like the Jets and Bills are, but there seems to be some legitimate strides being made. We've let teams with lesser personnel carve us up and put up points in the past, as pathetic as that may be. cmarq said it best; this was the sort of game where we had far more talent on defense than they had on offense and we need to show that. We did. It might not have been dominate, but they did their job, for once.

You can't feel too good about the prognosis of the offense going forward though. Things will get better because they have to be...but can we really get better fast enough to be competitive with the top teams in the league by the end of the year? Even if the defense has improved, they would have to play at an elite level in order for us to be competitive with someone like Denver or Houston, especially if we lose the time of possession battle as badly as we did. You have to wonder if some sort of roster move is coming. The pickings in free agency are pretty slim right now and a trade looks unlikely, but something may need to happen if things continue to go as poorly as they do. I'm almost concerned about Gronk coming back. We may need to target him a hundred times a game. Overuse for a guy coming back from a pretty serious injury almost never ends well. As bad as it is, we can't rush him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-14-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jebus, get over it... We'll be fine. I really don't get all of this panic and such. Of course it wasn't pretty, Brady was lacking his three primary pass catchers. Defense stepped up, and we get the W which is all that matters. It was their second game in five days, which is difficult for vets, let alone rookies. BB has tons of time to correct the mistakes, so let's not make it out as though we're looking at a top ten pick in next year's draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Gotta love the ignore list ;)

If you want non-objective discussion, I suggest you use it for most of the posters here as well. It's not super intuitive, but it's fairly easy to figure out....or try one of the dozens of homer forums out there.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 09-14-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I actually loved the write up EE and pretty much was with you for every word. Sorry to the fans that aren't happy with the nitpicking but when a team performs like ours have over the last decade you tend to hold them to the highest standards, and I think the biggest ****** thing about this season which is causing alot more panic from us is the fact (as EE mentioned) were giving Brady almost nothing to work with in his twilight years. That ******* sucks and we really should have learned from that mistake in 2006. Now is not the time for Brady to be having to play with next to nothing, especially now that the defense has starting taking steps forward (maybe, it was against rookie QBs).

I see no reason why we can't be worried. That was the worst weve played in a long time.

Quote:
Old 09-14-2013, 08:59 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

It's always the same story with him.

I don't even think anything I said was unfair. For some reason, people can't stand it if you point out things this this team doesn't do well. I've never been a cheerleader and probably never will be. That's not to say that I'm rooting for the team to fail(certainly not, this **** is fourth generation for me and an important part of how I was raised), but we make mistakes. Every team in the NFL does.

...I even pointed out quite a few things the team did well and I explicitly said that the offense will likely get better. If there's anything I hate about this fanbase, it's how sensitive certain members are to anything that isn't "THE PATRIOTS ARE THE BEST ORGANIZATION EVER **** JULIAN EDELMAN IS THE NEXT RANDY MOSS/WES WELKER"(I actually read that at one point last season). With the success we've had, we've attracted quite a few of these people, unfortunately.

We played terrible offensive football the other night against one of the worst teams in the league. There's reason to be concerned. If you think that that's going to be good enough to keep pace with Denver, Seattle, or San Francisco, I don't even know how to have a conversation with you because you're watching a special version of the game. We have a long way to go and there's a chance we may not get there this year. Still no chance in hell we miss the playoffs though. The division is weak yet again. Miami may be a bit better this year, but I still think we find a way to finish out on top. Too many flaws with other teams.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 09-14-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

I think your write up is excellent EE, and I appreciate the time and energy it took. Thank you.

The defense is looking better, but then we haven't played a unit worthy of a measuring stick yet. It looks like the Bengals (oops Falcons) will be our first test (although TB should be good, not sure what's up with that team.)

For me it's no mystery the receiver corp was about to go major upheaval, yet we didn't really do anything about it. While we could not have anticipated the AH situation, having three injury prone players as the core of our offense (Gronk, DA and Vareen) is probably not the brightest idea. But we didn't draft* anyone and we didn't sign anyone outside DA and Lloyd. I don't get that. Brady is Brady but he needs something to work with. At the very least we really should simplify our offense to accommodate the rookies. Given the short turn around maybe there wasn't time, but right now teams like the Saints, Broncos and Falcons are going to destroy us.

Last edited by Blackluck : 09-15-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

So, Amendola may be even more hurt than we thought. Torn adductors in his hips or a sports hernia. As I understand it, the hernia is the diagnosis that we want, but it's possible he misses the first half of the season now. So that's pretty sweet.

As far as relying on injury prone players thing goes, let's not forget that Edelman has some injury issues as well. Not as bad as Amendola, but he's spent quite a bit of time sidelined with injuries in most years. That doesn't bode super well with a marked increase in targets.

R.I.P. Junior Seau