Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Dashon Goldson Dirty Player?

My opinion of Goldson has always been that he is one of the league's most ferocious hitters, but also one of the cleanest hitters in the game. I live in the bay area and have watched him his entire career, and have always admired how well he timed his hits and have always felt that he got incorrectly flagged a lot because of the sheer force of his hits. I cant tell you how many times I have seen him flagged for what I thought were great hits where he hit the guy so damn hard I guess the ref just thought he had to throw the flag. Two games into the season, and he has already drawn fines both weeks and narrowly avoided a suspension...And now this

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/96...dson-hit-dirty

I cant seem to find a video clip of the hit. I looked on the net and couldnt find it, I looked on NFL game rewind, and could only find 1 play where Sproles was tackled by Goldson, and I didnt really see anything dirty about that play. Anyone who saw the play? Any thoughts? Is the NFL out of control with its rules about hitting receivers? Am I wrong in my assessment that Goldson is a clean hitter with a bad rep? Drew Brees basically called him a headhunter in a press conference this week, and the NFL is obviously looking at him as a repeat offender.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:22 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've regularly defended Goldson for exactly as you described.

I believe he proved his point to the NFL as well as they've lifted his suspension.

The hit on Sproles though was definitely unnecessary. Sproles was wrapped up, going down and Goldson lined him up helmet-to-helmet. No video but found a still shot.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think he's a dirty player. He just likes to set a tone for the defense.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:18 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think so either - that's why I found Brees' comments kind of surprising.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But, as John Lynch mentioned, the hit on Sproles may have been unnecessary, but realistically, what could he have done differently?

Sproles is 5'7"/8", bending at the waist and leaning towards the ground. How is Goldson supposed to hit him lower?
Old 09-20-2013, 12:43 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

And he has been routinely flagged for hits such as this one. This even got him a $30K fine.

So, he's being fined and almost suspended for being a "repeat offender" but how many of these flagged "offenses" were actually illegal hits?
Old 09-20-2013, 04:39 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brandon Meriweather is a dirty player. His hit on Eddie Lacey deserves a suspension because he made the same type of hit a few years ago. I think it was on Todd Heap of the Ravens. Where he intentionally drops his head and leads with the crown of his helmet as both players with jumping in the air and completely defenseless. Those types of hits I don't mind being punished even if former great safeties like John Lynch made a career out of of those kind of hits. I can understand that portion of flags and fines and suspensions.

This Goldson hit... Sproles is tiny, going to the ground and Goldson is leading with his shoulder, not his helmet. I saw the highlight a couple days ago. The picture posted in this thread even shows that he's turning his helmet away from the contact (actually putting himself (Goldson) at risk of getting injured if Sproles lowered his head... Then Sproles would be leading into him with the crown of his helmet). This is a clean hit. The NFL needs to start addressing obviously intentional hits like Meriweather and punishing those types of players. Not hits like this one and the Bernard Pollards hit from last week.

EDIT: That hit that phlysac posted is the idea of a perfect hit. Directly into the players chest attempting to separate player from ball. That is textbook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 09-20-2013 at 04:49 AM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
That hit that phlysac posted is the idea of a perfect hit. Directly into the players chest attempting to separate player from ball. That is textbook.
Agree. Yet it was flagged, and Goldson was fined $30,000. It's one of the hits that has him declared a "repeat offender."
Old 09-20-2013, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NFL just wants money. It's ridiculous how often Goldson keeps getting fined.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
And he has been routinely flagged for hits such as this one. This even got him a $30K fine.

So, he's being fined and almost suspended for being a "repeat offender" but how many of these flagged "offenses" were actually illegal hits?
That first hit shouldn't have been a flag or fine. The guy did was he was paid 8 million season to do. He didn't even hit him in the head. That was textbook.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
The NFL just wants money. It's ridiculous how often Goldson keeps getting fined.
Don't the fines go to charity? That's why I never really have a problem with any of these...oh no a rich athlete loses 1/20th of a game check and 50 families get to eat for a week. The horror, the horror...
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Don't the fines go to charity? That's why I never really have a problem with any of these...oh no a rich athlete loses 1/20th of a game check and 50 families get to eat for a week. The horror, the horror...
I heard that too, but do they really? How much of them go to charity? We're seeing more and more fines crop up every single year.

I always think of this rant in situations like these.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's dirty and I posted a few pictures and videos last year before a game where he went into knees with his head, which I consider far worse than the one to Sproles.

I'm not going to take time now to look for it again.

Delmas is the only other guy I've seen go low like that more than Dashon. I'm glad the NFL has their eye on him.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I didn't find this one illegal at all. He comes over the middle and puts a shoulder to the chest to force an incompletion. That is not a head hunting play.

Have mixed reviews on the one to Sproles and his 2nd one to Stephen hill in the Jets game, but this was a clean hard hit that the Refs just panicked. Not one part did I see him launch himself and aim for the head.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see the point on Sproles. I didn't find it neccessary, but then again, we're at game speed here and Sproles is 5-6 inches shorter.

Also, Drew Brees has no room to talk. Ever hear of Bounty Gate? I know Sean Payton has :)
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:49 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
He's dirty and I posted a few pictures and videos last year before a game where he went into knees with his head, which I consider far worse than the one to Sproles.

I'm not going to take time now to look for it again.

Delmas is the only other guy I've seen go low like that more than Dashon. I'm glad the NFL has their eye on him.
Probably talking about the absolutely clean hit above the knee pad to Jets TE Dedrick Epps.

I posted still shots. He hit him above the knee. just looked ugly because Epps hyper-extended.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:56 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

yea i swear i felt like he got flagged for hits like this all the time. i actually read an interesting tackle about Goldsons coach from his childhood and how he taught him to tackle with proper form, and how Goldson maintains fantastic fundamentals and thats what allows him to deliver such big hits while rarely making illegal hits in today's NFL. But the league flags and fines him anyways just cuz his hits are so jarring.

also great rant by schlereth, gotta love it, and hes speaking the truth too.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think people for the most part don't realize how fast these guys play and how impossible it is to really control yourself when playing full speed. When your job is to tackle, and you are going full bore and someone tackles another player a split second prior to you getting there and you are going for a form tackle (low, with your shoulder) and the other player shrinks up and leans forward, it's impossible to avoid head to head collisions. It's just part of the game and I don't know what the heck they want these guys to do...? You can't hit high... So you go low.... and the back goes low because of another person tripping him up, how do you avoid that? It's ridiculous to even call someone dirty for those types of hits. FFS Just put flags on them already.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They want a track record of evidence showing they are trying to stop "unsafe" play. They want a stat they can point to and say "this is how much we fined players for safety violations. We're trying here, the players aren't".
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:43 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
I think people for the most part don't realize how fast these guys play and how impossible it is to really control yourself when playing full speed. When your job is to tackle, and you are going full bore and someone tackles another player a split second prior to you getting there and you are going for a form tackle (low, with your shoulder) and the other player shrinks up and leans forward, it's impossible to avoid head to head collisions. It's just part of the game and I don't know what the heck they want these guys to do...? You can't hit high... So you go low.... and the back goes low because of another person tripping him up, how do you avoid that? It's ridiculous to even call someone dirty for those types of hits. FFS Just put flags on them already.
A lot of these hits are instinctive. Putting on a face mask doesn't mean a human will suddenly be comfortable with leading into physical contact with their faces upright. And hitting hard in a collision sport like the NFL without lowering your head is basically impossible.

The reality is, the difference between a clean and dirty hit as the league sees it now is sheer luck on where contact is actually made. Anyone with any sense can see that a helmet to helmet hit can easily be the outcome without intention, and likely is the outcome without the intention for the vast majority of cases. It's a random outcome.

The league doesn't want players to play safer necessarily. They know they can thank the physical nature of the sport for their premier position in pro US sports. They want to be seen to be doing something though, and suspensions are not ideal as they remove key players from games, damaging the product. Fines are preferable because they don't do that, and their impact on changing behavior I suspect is questionable at best. All it ends up doing is taking money away from players for doing what is instinctive.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

I still can't believe he got fined for this hit. The NFL is just fining people to fine people it seems. And once you get a reputation you already have a target on your back. Most of his hits that he's been fined for have been clean, hard nosed football. The Darren Sproles one was the only one where he went for the head. Oh well. At least he blasted Aaron Hernandez's punk ass.

Goldson has never been a dirty player though.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 09-22-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I still can't believe he got fined for this hit. The NFL is just fining people to fine people it seems. And once you get a reputation you already have a target on your back. Most of his hits that he's been fined for have been clean, hard nosed football. The Darren Sproles one was the only one where he went for the head. Oh well. At least he blasted Aaron Hernandez's punk ass.

Goldson has never been a dirty player though.

Yeah, that is bs. Like I said just put flags on them.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:37 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All these new rules and fines has really killed my interest in football the past few years. I slowly just get tired of rule changes and how soft the league has gotten. I used to love seeing the big hits and celebrations, it was one of my favorite part of football growing up and seeing those things. It's what made me love the sport, but now it doesn't excite me as much as it used to.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:52 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
All these new rules and fines has really killed my interest in football the past few years. I slowly just get tired of rule changes and how soft the league has gotten.
Soft huh?
Really? Go out there one play, see how soft it is.

Speaking of helmet to helmet hits, check this one out by an 11-year old league here in Texas. http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/...elmet-hit.html

After replaying the video time and time, and pausing it at contact, I don't think it was dirty. He barely lowered his head. Sure, his eyes were down, so he led with the crown instead of head/eyes up, but it wasn't that bad.

But the result was, fractured spine. Why not put some padding on the outside of the helmet, soften the initial blows?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Soft huh?
Really? Go out there one play, see how soft it is.

Speaking of helmet to helmet hits, check this one out by an 11-year old league here in Texas. http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/...elmet-hit.html

After replaying the video time and time, and pausing it at contact, I don't think it was dirty. He barely lowered his head. Sure, his eyes were down, so he led with the crown instead of head/eyes up, but it wasn't that bad.

But the result was, fractured spine. Why not put some padding on the outside of the helmet, soften the initial blows?
because some people believe that putting padding on the outside will make the force travel to the spine rather than absorb the impact to where the helmet it.