Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:13 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was supremely disappointed in Manuel. I know the Jets D is good, but he didn't look like an NFL QB.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I was supremely disappointed in Manuel. I know the Jets D is good, but he didn't look like an NFL QB.
The play calling didn't help him out nor did our O-line.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:15 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Again, people judging playcalling watching the broadcast...

????
Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know why the league gave the Raiders a primetime game this year. Seriously, this is going to be really pathetic to watch.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When you can predict the offensive playcalling from the tv broadcast...that's a pretty massive indictment of the playcalling
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:18 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Again, people judging playcalling watching the broadcast...

????
No, when it is 3rd and 1 and I'm thinking "anything but up the middle...anything but up the middle...anything but up the middle" and then we run it up the middle and lose 2 yards. And that type of generic offense continuing for about 3.5 quarters.

That would make the play calling horrible.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 09-23-2013, 03:21 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Also when the Jets are continuously bringing all out blitz off either side of the line, and we never have one WR doing a quick slant one dame time.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 09-23-2013, 03:25 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I just don't understand why these football coaches get to continue to call plays when clearly any average fan on his couch can do it better.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Quote:
I just don't understand why these football coaches get to continue to call plays when clearly any average fan on his couch can do it better.
No one claims to be a coach in here - but some things are very obvious. Especially when it comes to adjustments.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Eh. I get what you're trying to say with this, and I agree for the most part but....

Just bc someone does the job doesn't mean they're not ******** anyway. Think about all your coworkers. Some of them are complete morons. Football is no different.

Whenever people ask me why some coaches do A, B and C, I explain to them one simple thought that's always overlooked: Remember that dumb jock you went to high school with? He's a football coach somewhere.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

The vast majority of play callers at the NFL level are not "dumb" in this day and age.

It's way more difficult than people realize to call plays at any level of football - especially the NFL.

Come on.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even good play callers can have bad days where they're predictable.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The vast majority of play callers at the NFL level are not "dumb" in this day and age.

It's way more difficult than people realize to call plays at any level of football - especially the NFL.

Come on.
I don't think it's too much to ask coordinators to utilize common sense though. Yesterday for instance we ran a sweep to the outside with Anthony Dixon. That made absolutely zero sense on Roman's part. Especially when you have someone like Gore and Hunter on the roster and higher on the depth chart.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Come on.
They use advanced statistics to determine what plays work best in what scenarios, personnel packages, down and distance etc. They crunch all the numbers.

But what I think gets lost in all of that is sometimes common sense just gets away from them. NFL playcallers can be notorious overthinkers at times.

Again, I agree with you for the most part, but let's not pretend that the OC is completely free of blame. We have some bad ones here and there.

But 90% of the time, yes, I agree with you. OCs always call good games when they win and bad ones when they lose. It's just the nature of the business and their perception.

But a great playcaller is worth his weight in gold.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I have no problem with criticizing that specific play call. But the league is about competition - meaning there is a guy on the other side trying to outsmart you. Rarely do we credit the play caller on either side when they win that battle. Instead you hear everyone jump on the guy who got beat. And the players get the credit for the good play.

Not to mention how many plays come down strictly to execution which the play callers don't control.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

A DC makes his money in disguising the play. An OC makes his money by catching the DC out of position.

It's a cat and mouse game. Everything else is player execution. The battle btw coordinators is determined by how well the DC can disguise his plays and gameplan and how well the OC can catch him out of position, and how well both can stay away from their tendencies.

There's a lot of # crunching that goes into gameplanning and playcalling.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OC are usually the easy scapegoat but they are on occasion, very ******.

Like Dan Henning in 2010, completely ******* horrendous. We couldn't run the ball and all he would do is call mass protect playaction where Marshall was triple covered and Hartline was double covered. Poor Henne.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a big problem with offensive coordinators is they try to get too cute with some play calling. They want something to work even if it hasn't the whole game. They are unable to change the game plan on the flow and continue with it through the whole game.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:45 PM    (permalink
MidwestJimmy
Veteran

MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mila Kunis is dorky looking, wears a wool hat and big glasses, and has an owl face.

I have just been informed that Meg Griffin of Family Guy is an animated character, and Mila Kunis merely provides her voice; Kunis does not appear on camera in Family Guy episodes. I apologize for the confusion.

As far as playcallers, one of the worst examples was Rams head coach Mike Martz in the Super Bowl against the Patriots. NE played mostly dime and even quarters (7 DBs) in the second half, hoping to God the Rams won't run the ball on them. Martz kept calling for passes, forgot that he had Marshall Faulk, and the Patriots won as a result.
MidwestJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

Thanks for letting us all know what an awful, awful human being you are. Mila Kunis is one of the most attractive celebrities around.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems to me that just about every fanbase hates their o-line this year. Anyone else notice this? How many teams are widely considered to have good O-lines? 9ers and Seahawks? I don't know, but it seems like I hear or read someone calling a different o-line terrible every day. I'm thinking of making a thread to discuss this.

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Seattle is considered to have a good OL. The Pats leave something to be desired, but overall I am happy with our line. Mankins looks like he has been playing well, Solder has been putting it together, and Vollmer is a rock. He got beat a few times last week or week 1 but he is a great right tackle. Wendell and Connolly are just average at C and RG but as a whole the unit is very solid and will get a boost when Gronk comes back.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:00 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sam Acho & Lorenzo Alexander done for the year and Rashad Johnson lost a ******* finger

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-...c-b704948351b4

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, Paul McQuistan is not a very good pass-blocker, which is a problem when replacing our injured Pro-Bowl left tackle, but he might be a better run-blocker than Okung is, so it depends what you want. Okung's got the better overall game, but our team usually runs to set up the pass which mitigates McQuistan's shortcomings. It's basically what we already had to deal with on the right side with Giacomini. Carpenter is another road-grader who can get a great push on a defender but can get beat in pass-pro by a fast defender with a good initial move. Same with Sweezy at the other guard spot. Unger's pretty great, though. Our O-line wasn't good when the game was close and we were in obvious passing situations, because other teams would just turn loose their blitzers knowing that a hole would open up somewhere. On the other hand, when the game is going our way and we can run when we choose, it's a great group of guys because they can physically control the line of scrimmage. They're just not a super-athletic bunch who can get under edge rushers and ride them off the edges while keeping defensive tackles in place at the line. They're pretty much all power players with little finesse.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll just leave this here

Last edited by Pit Bull #53 : 09-23-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote