Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
Those guys are either the same height or 1 inch taller than Gates, so that's a pretty unfounded statement. Strength is questionable, Gates isn't week, but as far as speed I have to complain about that especially with Gonzalez. Speed is one of Gates' best attributes as a TE, next to his pass catching abilities. He goes up at the highest point and gets the ball every single time...very rarely, if ever have I seen him drop a remotely catchable ball...that's one of his strongest points it comes from the basketball background. Besides, on the field production should mean much more then measurables at the NFL level. Charlie Frye is taller then Brees, who would you rather have? Jerious Norwood is faster then Larry Johnson who would you rather have?
Height isn't the only factor. Combined with all those others I listed. I still have him #1 anyway. But the last questions you gave me or ridiculous logic. I could say who would you rather have Brady or Brees? Who would you rather have LT or Norwood. Those are individual cases.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:12 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fact is, if you put any of the top 7-8 TE's in the SD system, they'd put up pretty similar numbers. Coaching and the QB situation mean a lot. I think Gates is perfect for that system, but other TE's could do similar things, given the opportunities.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Maybe the tools that you are looking at aren't strong factors in actual TE production. The difference between 6'4" and 6'6" doesn't make a significant difference. Straight line speed doesn't mean as much as agility and body control. Hands aren't as big a deal when you have the body control, and your QB throws a good ball. Strength is relative and isn't that big a factor. Gates' production is unquestionable. You really can't argue against the numbers.
I'm not arguing against the numbers. Again I still have him #1. I'm just saying there could be a certain smoke and mirrors aspect to it and I would expect a down year without Cameron. All those tools do mean something though. There is a significant difference between 6'4" and 6'6" especially in the red zone. A to say strength isn't that big of a factor is a bit naive in my opinion especially when it comes to blocking which is Gates weakest point.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:17 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Height isn't the only factor. Combined with all those others I listed. I still have him #1 anyway. But the last questions you gave me or ridiculous logic. I could say who would you rather have Brady or Brees? Who would you rather have LT or Norwood. Those are individual cases.
True, I was just trying to emphasize that well like you said in this post Height doesn't really mean all that much. I just think that you're off on your other analysis on Gates, his speed is amazing for a TE, and his hands are at the top of the league.

I'll take back those comparisons I threw out at the end of my post, those don't really hold much weight in this conversation.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

I guess speed is where we disagree. I would never say his speed is amazing for a TE.
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gates' weakness is more in the form of lack of experience due to his basketball background. I think he has come along quite nicely as a blocker. His rookie year, he couldn't block for anything. Now, he's on the field in most situations. His strength is fine. It is not god-like, but he escapes jams, makes tough plays, and he can block. 2 inches of height in the red zone is not that significant, IMO. When you include his body control and ability to shield himself to make catches, plus his leaping ability, Gates is just as effective as any other TE in the red zone. That's just a moot point.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
I'm not arguing against the numbers. Again I still have him #1. I'm just saying there could be a certain smoke and mirrors aspect to it and I would expect a down year without Cameron. All those tools do mean something though. There is a significant difference between 6'4" and 6'6" especially in the red zone. A to say strength isn't that big of a factor is a bit naive in my opinion especially when it comes to blocking which is Gates weakest point.
If the height makes that much of a difference in the redzone, I would be curious as to how Gates is such a dominant red zone threat then, considering its where he scores the bulk of his TDs from. And yes blocking is his weakest point, but its not a big a weakness as everyone thinks. As for the coaching I don't think there will be too great a differnece in Norv and Cameron, since Norv said he is keeping 85-90% the same system, but that is just my opinion, not much fact to support it.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:19 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
I guess speed is where we disagree. I would never say his speed is amazing for a TE.
Doesn't have to be. With his acceleration and recognition skills, plus the design of the offense, he gets downfield and makes plays. Any loss of a step in terms of speed is made up for in game speed, agility, and acceleration.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:19 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

But seriously, let's keep arguing about something we agree on...

Old 04-26-2007, 11:23 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
But seriously, let's keep arguing about something we agree on...
Eh, I'll argue anything right about now...things are going so slow...is the draft here yet or what?
Old 04-26-2007, 11:30 AM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Just read a few posts and want to say that clearly you don't watch Charger football if you think Cameron was the reason Gates had good years. Cameron was HUGELY criticized around SD for going away from Gates for long stretches of time. Also, realize that his down year is 71 catches for 924 yards and 9 TD's, oh yeah, on a team where the running back had 1800 rush yards, 350 receiving yards and 31 total TD's. Just chew on that. I predict he has a huge year this year with Norv Turner, who is a much better OC than Cam Cameron. Cam Cameron had the best RB, TE, and FB in the league, and an emerging receiver and QB to work with, honestly. Norv Turner will do some stuff with this offense, watch out.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:33 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Norv has had similar situations in the past, and he hasn't done the job as the HC. His skills as the OC are unquestioned, but his game management and personnel deployment have been suspect.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:42 AM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1. Gonzalez
2. Gates
3. Heap
4. Crumpler
5. Shockey, you just can't deny it, the man is a beast
Old 04-26-2007, 11:48 AM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1. Gates
2. Crumpler
3. Gonzalez
4. Heap
5. Shockey

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:23 PM    (permalink
FloridaFootball
Veteran

FloridaFootball hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.FloridaFootball hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

No love for Chris Cooley?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:26 PM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFootball View Post
No love for Chris Cooley?
Not in the Top 5 IMO, but still pretty dam good!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
EdReedUnstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:27 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Agree with ERU. Cooley is an intriguing talent. If he had put up better numbers in 2006, he might have gotten more consideration. I like the guy as a player a lot. He is more dangerous than people realize.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Agree with ERU. Cooley is an intriguing talent. If he had put up better numbers in 2006, he might have gotten more consideration. I like the guy as a player a lot. He is more dangerous than people realize.
Cooley had a great '05 and a solid '06 I like him to, just out of the top 5...maybe top 8 IMO. Big steal/pickup for me in Fantasy football in '05 too, so I gotta respect the guy.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:38 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Gonzalez
2. Gates
3. Witten
4. Heap
5. Winslow
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I didn't look at anyone else's ranks and went straight to the reply.

Right now:

Gates
Gonzalez
Crumpler
Heap
Witten

With another solid year, Kellen Winslow could crack the list. I have him as a #6 because of injury issues and concerns.
i really like this list. Gates and Gonzalez are still the toast of the league, Gates especially for his receiving threat (but still good all around) and Gonzo is amazing at his all around game.

Crumpler has been the consistent weapon for vick, while this may inflate his stats he still handles being the #1 receiving threat there. i dont know all that much about his blocking so i wont directly comment on that.

Heap i like mostly because im a homer, nothing more to say about that.

Witten i love. he is personally one of my favorite tight ends and if i was making a team i might choose him. he is a tough blocker and really seems to be compared to the tight ends of old.

others that were close-
Winslow:really dangerous and will go higher on list after he has more seasons under his belt.
Shockey:another great player but many people look to his injurys and really seem to knock him on that.
Cooley: really good but not quite top 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dont want to sound like a GRF type homer here, but being a giants fan a can really only speak about shockey. i feel i cant really rip other guys w/o watching them every sunday. shockey's recieving stats went down b/c he had to stay on block to help out mr. headbutt. he's is a weapon who's versitile. plus it depends at top 5 at what skill? honestly, i cant think of another TE with better hair, more emotion/energy/insanity/, or who will run w/o his helmet on
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1.Bubba Franks

999. Everyone else

Lol just kidding
1) Antonio Gates
2) Tony Gonzalez
3) Alge Crumpler
4)Todd Heap, Jeremy Shockey, Jason Witten
5) Kellen Winslow

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
parisjhnson

1. Gates
2. Tony G
3. Heap
4. Crumpler
5. Shockey
Old 04-26-2007, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
1.Bubba Franks

999. Everyone else

Lol just kidding
1) Antonio Gates
2) Tony Gonzalez
3) Alge Crumpler
4)Todd Heap, Jeremy Shockey, Jason Witten
5) Kellen Winslow
Why just because there white, huh? What's up with that. I see how you are.

:)
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gates then Gonzo then everyone else.