Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
336 is the official record. You can Google it.
SI article says he had 336 in his career through the point in which the article was written (December of 1997):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1596/index.htm
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:43 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
When do I need the money by?

If Barry Sanders got to take his cumulative yards with him and use them somewhere, that would be different. But that's just not how football works.

There's also investor C, aka throwing the football. Invests in 50 stocks. Only 30 of those stocks make money. But those 30 stocks come to $90,000 in 10 years.

I'm going with that guy. And then in this case, investing a little bit in Investor A in conjunction with Investor C will make Investor C more effective, opening up the portfolio. But Investor B will keep screwing over Investor C if I invest with him, and telling me not to give up on him and put money in the hands of Investor C, because at any moment, he's going to strike it rich.

Investor B: "Hey, I'm just trying to get you rich, maaaaaaan. Don't worry, I know what I'm doing. That $400 gain wasn't worth it, I'm going to hit the jackpot one of these days. The problem is the economy is so bad. Worst economy in the league."
Now let's say Investor A is a college student and Investor B is Jim Cramer.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:44 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd go with those HFT hedge funds who make microsecond trades based on correlations between the NASDAQ, SPX, and DXY.

Advanced Statistics For The Win!!!
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice job misconstruing the stats. I already showed the NFL average is 9.56% of carries are negative, Sanders had 10.97%. So in a 25 carry game the average running back has 2.39 negative carries while Sanders has 2.745.

Sanders negative carries averaged 2.83 yards. Let's say the average back only loses 1 yard per negative carry. Sanders loses 7.78 yards per game while the average back loses 2.39. So at worst, Sanders loses 5.3875 yards more per game due to negative runs. You'd trade the vastly superior home run ability for 5.3875 yards PER GAME? That's like taking Christian Ponder over Aaron Rodgers because he only gets sacked every 15 attempts compared to every 10 for Rodgers.

Edit: So if he had 336 through December 8th 1997, his average increases to 12.55%. Increases the lost yardage by 1 yard per game. So you're trading in the most explosive running back in NFL history for DeAngelo Williams because three times a game he loses 2.8 yards compared to losing a yard twice a game. (and I am doing best case numbers analysis for the average NFL runningback)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin. †One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one. †Awesome. †Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks.†

Last edited by jrdrylie : 09-26-2013 at 07:53 PM.
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu_22 View Post
Really? Out of all things in that post, it was the pepperoni pizza that got you going...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Oh my god, that pepperoni.
When pepperoni curls like that it is greatness.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That thread I started long ago that morons like "The_Alex" keep referencing was titled, "Why I Would Never Want Barry Sanders On My Team."
What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little *****? Iíll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and Iíve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and Iím the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that **** to me over the Internet? Think again, ******. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. Youíre ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and thatís just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little ****. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little ďcleverĒ comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldnít, you didnít, and now youíre paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will **** fury all over you and you will drown in it. Youíre ****ing dead, kiddo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:39 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm glad I got to read this before it is removed.

:)
Old 09-27-2013, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Note to self: do not **** with The Alex

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Gorilla" warfare.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:51 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:09 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little *****? Iíll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and Iíve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and Iím the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that **** to me over the Internet? Think again, ******. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. Youíre ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and thatís just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little ****. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little ďcleverĒ comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldnít, you didnít, and now youíre paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will **** fury all over you and you will drown in it. Youíre ****ing dead, kiddo.
Nice cut and paste.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:17 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Nice cut and paste.
That's exactly what I'm gonna do with your head and my mantle if you don't keep your **** comments to yourself. I donít give a **** who you are or where you live. You can count on me to be there to bring your ****ing life to a hellish end. Iíll put you in so much ****ing pain that itíll make Jesus being nailed to a cross in the desert look like a ****ing back massage on a tropical island. I donít give a **** how many reps you have or how tough you are IRL, how well you can fight, or how many ****ing guns you own to protect yourself. Iíll ****ing show up at your house when you arenít home. Iíll turn all the lights on in your house, leave all the water running, open your fridge door and not close it, and turn your gas stove burners on and let them waste gas. Youíre going to start stressing the **** out, your blood pressure will triple, and youíll have a ****ing heart attack. Youíll go to the hospital for a heart operation, and the last thing youíll see when youíre being put under in the operating room is me hovering above you, dressed like a doctor. When you wake up after being operated on, wondering what ticking time bomb is in your chest waiting to go off. Youíll recover fully from your heart surgery. And when you walk out the front door of the hospital to go home Iíll run you over with my ****ing car out of no where and kill you. I just want you to know how easily I could ****ing destroy your pathetic excuse of a life, but how Iíd rather go to a great ****ing length to make sure your last remaining days are spent in a living, breathing ****ing hell. Itís too late to save yourself, but donít bother committing suicide eitherÖ Iíll ****ing resuscitate you and kill you again myself you *****-faced worm. Welcome to hell, population: you

Quote:
Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Nice job misconstruing the stats. I already showed the NFL average is 9.56% of carries are negative, Sanders had 10.97%. So in a 25 carry game the average running back has 2.39 negative carries while Sanders has 2.745.

Sanders negative carries averaged 2.83 yards. Let's say the average back only loses 1 yard per negative carry. Sanders loses 7.78 yards per game while the average back loses 2.39. So at worst, Sanders loses 5.3875 yards more per game due to negative runs. You'd trade the vastly superior home run ability for 5.3875 yards PER GAME? That's like taking Christian Ponder over Aaron Rodgers because he only gets sacked every 15 attempts compared to every 10 for Rodgers.

Edit: So if he had 336 through December 8th 1997, his average increases to 12.55%. Increases the lost yardage by 1 yard per game. So you're trading in the most explosive running back in NFL history for DeAngelo Williams because three times a game he loses 2.8 yards compared to losing a yard twice a game. (and I am doing best case numbers analysis for the average NFL runningback)
The article says it was almost 14%. It's not necessarily all about the losses. When your non-20+ yard runs come to a significantly lower average than that of most other backs, that's a red flag.

But of course, this is all just statistics in a vacuum. It's merely a way of trying to represent what I saw from Sanders on the field. A back could lose yardage on a lot of carries without being a dancer/freelancer. I think Emmitt Smith had a year where he lost yards on 50+ carries, despite that supposedly dominant offensive line...and he was no dancer.

Sanders probably would have had far less cumulative production in Detroit if he didn't freelance. The problem I have with him is it's clear that's just his running style, independent of the blocking scheme, and he's never going to be the type to consistently hit the hole, fight for the tough yards, etc, no matter what situation he's in. He's going to have 50 or so carries per year where he loses yards, even if nobody gangs up to stop the run and you put nothing but Hall of Famers in front of him. He'll dance and/or cut back into backside defenders on a regular basis. I know from watching him that the majority of his carries for loss were on him for freelancing, and not on a team ganging up to stop the run, or missed blocks. He didn't follow the designs enough for blocks to be missed, or defenses to correctly guess where the play was heading. That would have happened much more often if he did run more conventionally, but if it happened as often to a conventional runner in Detroit, it wouldn't in Kansas City. But if Barry Sanders goes to Kansas City, he's going to run the same way he always did and all the numbers will be similar to what they were in Detroit.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:40 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Note to self: do not **** with The Alex
Con Air was actually a documentary based on the Alex's real life.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:38 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Con Air was actually a documentary based on the Alex's real life.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
this is much better cp than brody's bear thing.
I have literally copied that exact quote twice before you stupid piece of ****.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Leonsandcastle
Rookie

Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
That's exactly what I'm gonna do with your head and my mantle if you don't keep your **** comments to yourself. I donít give a **** who you are or where you live. You can count on me to be there to bring your ****ing life to a hellish end. Iíll put you in so much ****ing pain that itíll make Jesus being nailed to a cross in the desert look like a ****ing back massage on a tropical island. I donít give a **** how many reps you have or how tough you are IRL, how well you can fight, or how many ****ing guns you own to protect yourself. Iíll ****ing show up at your house when you arenít home. Iíll turn all the lights on in your house, leave all the water running, open your fridge door and not close it, and turn your gas stove burners on and let them waste gas. Youíre going to start stressing the **** out, your blood pressure will triple, and youíll have a ****ing heart attack. Youíll go to the hospital for a heart operation, and the last thing youíll see when youíre being put under in the operating room is me hovering above you, dressed like a doctor. When you wake up after being operated on, wondering what ticking time bomb is in your chest waiting to go off. Youíll recover fully from your heart surgery. And when you walk out the front door of the hospital to go home Iíll run you over with my ****ing car out of no where and kill you. I just want you to know how easily I could ****ing destroy your pathetic excuse of a life, but how Iíd rather go to a great ****ing length to make sure your last remaining days are spent in a living, breathing ****ing hell. Itís too late to save yourself, but donít bother committing suicide eitherÖ Iíll ****ing resuscitate you and kill you again myself you *****-faced worm. Welcome to hell, population: you
Worst case of testosterone poisoning I've ever seen
Leonsandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Leonsandcastle
Rookie

Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Double post
Leonsandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonsandcastle View Post
Worst case of testosterone poisoning I've ever seen

Quote: