Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-27-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The biggest safety thing for home yoga is a mat. They have mats for free at the gym. You also have the benefit of a professional instructor there to help keep you safe. I would not recommend doing stuff at home, as you don't know your own limits and don't have the equipment.

If you are worried about looking stupid in front of others, don't. It's an easy opener with chicks, and you might surprise yourself.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:43 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not that, it's just that my local gym doesn't offer any yoga classes (very small gym) and I don't want to switch gyms because I know a big reason why I do go to the gym regularly now is bc of how close the gym is to my house.

So any yoga would have to be done on my own at my house.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:00 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ah. Having a mat is incredibly important for quality of work and safety.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 09-27-2013, 12:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Ah. Having a mat is incredibly important for quality of work and safety.
I can't be ghetto and just yoga on top of my rug? Haha
Old 09-27-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You could always do some Diamond Dallas Page yoga. Not joking. It's a thing.

http://www.ddpyoga.com/

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, I was squatting the other day. I was doing a day with medium weight, so I was squatting around 185. I usually do 205/225 depending how I am feeling.

However, I was getting real nice and low and on the way up I felt a discomfort in my left knee. It was not a pain, but it felt weird, definitely not good. I stopped took a minute and finished the set. I rested and went to do my next set and about halfway through I felt it again, at that point I just stopped because I did not want to mess around.

Any idea as to what this might be?

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:18 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It could be any number of things. Serious or not serious. You could either see a pro, or do what most people do and wait til it doesn't seem dangerous anymore and go back to lifting.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-27-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Hard to diagnose from this description. Ice, anti-inflammatories, elevation, and rest for 48 hours. If there is no improvement or worsening, go see an ortho.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hard to diagnose from this description. Ice, anti-inflammatories, elevation, and rest for 48 hours. If there is no improvement or worsening, go see an ortho.
I am having a hard time describing the feeling, myself.

It occurred when I was going back up from the squat position and its upper-outer part of the left knee. It felt almost like a stiffness, very dull feeling that felt funny, not painful though.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a doctor by any means, but do what bsaza said. Then after that, I'd try doing a real low weight like 135, and work your way back up to 185 to try and see if the feeling comes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:06 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Basically follow this.

After 48h, use a bodyweight ass to grass squat to check ROM and if there's any further pain. If no pain, follow Bills2083 advice and start off slow.

Knees are hard to diagnose w/o being hands on - could be a hamstring, IT band, lower back, or hip.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have pain and other issues with my left knee at times. One of the trainers at CF Mayhem passed on a method for dealing with it that Rich used when he had knee issues in the past. Simply do multiple sets of 10 bodyweight squats every half minute for 5 or so minutes, focusing on using perfect form. I believe this helps build stability in the knee by strengthening the muscles around the knee, as well as helping you practice perfect squat form for when you're doing weighted squats. It has worked quite well. It sounds overly simple, but it works.

Not sure that's what will help Malaka, but it might be worth a shot.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
You don't really have to do that kind of prep for yoga, I had/have no flexibility/stamina and I get through stuff fine, just have to remember to do stuff at your own pace and it's perfectly fine not to do stuff for as long or do every single thing.
I think this is important. It's like lifting weights: you don't walk into the gym and try to squat 300 lbs your first time around. Likewise, I can't do most of the yoga stuff that my 76 year old grandmother does, because she's been practicing yoga for about 30 years now.

Everybody is a beginner at some point, and you don't want to push yourself beyond your limits.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:37 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

PR'd twice this week so far: 320 lbs. on squat, and 425 this morning on deadlift. I really need to max on bench to see how close to 1000 my total is. I am pretty sure it isn't 255, my bench has always sucked. But it is nice to be so close finally.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I strained this same ******* muscle in my back waking up yesterday. It's not nearly as bad and I should be ok by tomorrow/Friday, but **** it's annoying.

Before that though yoga/rock climbing is going pretty well along with lifting. Too cold to run anymore but those two definitely help that loss.

Still haven't gotten back to eating well 100% but I've been getting better. Just need to kick this awful sugar habit I've been on.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I haven't been able to shake my sugar/carb habit for the past month. I've been eating out a lot which has led to my problems.

Eating healthy is hard. Especially when everything around us is processed.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I haven't been able to shake my sugar/carb habit for the past month. I've been eating out a lot which has led to my problems.

Eating healthy is hard. Especially when everything around us is processed.
Agreed. I can eat healthy certain periods of time, but I always go back to being an inconsistent eater. One day I eat well, the next I don't. One thing that helps me is trying not to bring unhealthy food into my home. If it's not there when I go to the fridge, I'm not gonna go outta my way to get it. Unfortunately, that doesn't help when I'm out of the house.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I have a cheat meal day built into each week, it makes it easier to make good decisions the rest of the week. It is unfortunate that actual good food is either hard to make or doesn't taste the best.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-09-2013, 09:18 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just have to get into the habit again and I'll be fine. I ate "well" for 2+ years while I was in college and would have a good few months after that, but I haven't had more than a few weeks since I moved to Texas (6 months ago) where I've been consistent.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-16-2013, 08:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

My upper back was in serious pain the last 5 days. To a point where it was almost intolerable, I've been putting on icy hot patches every day, stretching it out as much as I can, but I still felt a throbbing pain the entire day.

I think I might have used some poor form on my squats last week and it messed my back up.

So I went light with my squats yesterday. I only did high rep dumbbell squats and worked on my form. I didn't get much of a workout from it, but I needed to do something, I didn't want to miss a day. And I figure I can practice my form by going lighter.

Today my back is starting to feel better. It wasn't throbbing when I woke up, and so far I don't have any pain. I'm gonna try to keep good posture at my desk (I fall into bad habits of slouching).

Today is back/chest day, so maybe hitting the weights will get me back in order.

I usually go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week but last week I only went twice. I skipped Monday this week, went yesterday. I can't miss too many days, I don't want to get sloppy again.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

You might look at getting a foam roller for back pains and other pains. Not sure what the problem is for you of course but in general rolling over a foam roller helps quite a bit. You might google myofascial release.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
You might look at getting a foam roller for back pains and other pains. Not sure what the problem is for you of course but in general rolling over a foam roller helps quite a bit. You might google myofascial release.
I bought one of those curved back stretchers from CVS after work yesterday and it seemed to help a bit. I'll look into the foam roller as well, thanks.

I think a combination of stress, poor form in my squats, and bad posture at my desk has led to my upper back pain.

If it persists I'll get it checked out, but MRIs are expensive and I'm a contractor so my health insurance sucks.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I bought one of those curved back stretchers from CVS after work yesterday and it seemed to help a bit. I'll look into the foam roller as well, thanks.

I think a combination of stress, poor form in my squats, and bad posture at my desk has led to my upper back pain.

If it persists I'll get it checked out, but MRIs are expensive and I'm a contractor so my health insurance sucks.
I would think the ACA would be helpful to people in your situation. But then again I don't really know anything about the ACA.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

I really need to get a foam roller.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-16-2013, 10:10 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ever since I started working full time, I haven't stepped into the gym in about 3 months. I can't imagine what getting back in there is going to be like. I set myself the goal of getting a routine going before Halloween. Not to mention how terrible I've eaten. I've quite literally watched myself lose all my gains over the last 3 months. Thank god it's fall/winter.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote