Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default My Thoughts @ the 1/4 Mark

Ranking The 5 Undeafted Teams:

1. Denver Broncos

Peyton Manning is primed for the best year of his career. He's starting off the season running an offense that averages nearly 45 points a game. Which, in comparison, is pretty impressive because the Jaguars and Buccaneers haven't scored over 45 points during the first 4 games of their abysmal seasons.

Manning has 16 TD passes to 0 INTs. He's completing 75% of his throws and he's ready to assault the record books. The Broncos are still without their juice head, Von Miller, and old man winter, Champ Bailey. Despite the Broncos not playing anyone through the first four gams worth a ****, they should only get better. Which is scary. As long as they have Peyton Manning and they avoid catastrophic injuries, this is the Super Bowl representative from the AFC. They have been dominant. They have the best wide receiving corps in the NFL. Everyone started questioning what was going to happen when Ryan Clady went out for the season. What's gonna happen to Peyton Manning? Hows he going to adjust? Manning hasn't had a LT worth a **** since Tarik Glenn. He'll adjust. The Broncos will be fine, but it won't be 50 points a game once they start facing some better level of competition. But the Broncos offense is just too stacked. Moreno is playing well and they found a TE in Julius Thomas that has turned into a great weapon. They should be the favorite in every game.

2. New Orleans Saints

The New Orleans Saints are for real ya'll. I hope this story garners more attention because with Sean Peyton back at the helm the entire team has done a complete 180. They went from a historically atrocious defense to a very good defense that plays fast and creates turnovers. Jimmy Graham is now, clearly the best TE in the NFL - maybe ahead of Jordan Cameron of all people. He is a matchup nightmare and he's dominating the NFL. He's playing for a contract and all I can say is: PAY THE MAN!!! He's a beast. Drew Brees is going to throw for 5,300 yards, or his usual video game numbers. How a guy who's 6-foot-nothing and has to stand on his tippy-toes to see over the line, tilt his head up so his face mask isn't blocking his view and dominate the game the way he does... Sometimes it just hits you how great a player he is. MNF against the Dolphins did just that.

Defensively Cameron Jordan has arrived. I was extremely high on him coming out of college and thought he'd be better in a 34 front so I'm biased to begin with. And I thought he was the lone bright spot on that defense last year. I thought he was a Pro Bowl player. This year he's about to become one of the Top 43 defensive ends in the game. He's a complete monster. Keenan Lewis and Jabari Greer are two very good corners with Malcolm Jenkins and Kenny Vaccarro looking like a great safety tandem. Rob Ryan may be looking like a mastermind, but it all comes back to Sean Peyton, who should be a leading candidate for coach of the year. I suspect they meet the Broncos in the Super Bowl. The Saints have the franchise QB, a good defense and one of the elite coaches in the game. They're a better team this year than they were when they won the Super Bowl. It would be a great Manning-Brees rematch.

3. Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks are 4-0, thanks to Matt Schaub, for the first time in their franchise history. The defense is giving up 11 points a game. They have proven that they completely own the 49ers. Richard Sherman is the best corner in the NFL. That's proven. I'm done hearing about Darrell Revis or the next best guy. It's quite clearly Richard Sherman. Not one other corner has been the type of game changer he has been over the last two seasons. He finds the ball as good as any corner you are going to see. It's not a coincidence that he turned an average QB into the bum of the week with his game tying pick 6. Not only is he making plays on the ball but he doesn't give up anything.

Marshawn Lynch appears to be getting back into the grove of things after a bit of a slow start to the season. He ran well against the 49ers in a tough game and put up over 140 yards on just 20 touches against a good Texans defense. But I can't help but think that this offense needs more from the wide receivers. Percy Harvin is going to be a major addition to this team midway through the season. I'm not sure how good this team will be, or what type of impact Harvin will have, but I think they need more offensive firepower to compete with the Saints. They also need to keep pace with New Orleans because home field advantage is more important to them than any other team in the NFL.

4. New England Patriots

I honestly have no idea how Tom Brady is doing it. If Peyton Manning wasn't dominating people, then he'd be my case for MVP. This is one of the least talented teams in the NFL at the skill positions. And Brady is a running an offense that outscores Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez and Roddy White IN ATLANTA. That shouldn't happen.

New England has had a soft schedule thus far. They've lucked out a little bit and I still don't expect them to win their division. The loss of Vince Wilfork will be big. Right now they are giving up 105 rush yards a game. That's going to get worse. But Aqib Talib is playing at an All-Pro level. Outside of Joe Haden there isn't another corner in the AFC playing anywhere near his level.

Quote:
When matched up mostly against Julio Jones, Talib's stat line looked like this: Thrown at 8 times, 1 completion given up for 1 single yard. Oh, and he had 1 INT and the game winning pass defended.
He's as talented as any corner in the NFL. Consistency has always been his issue, but he looks like he's hungry for a contract extension. The team is well coached, but I think they're going to be 5-3 (at best) by the time they hit their bye week (week 10).

5. Kansas City Chiefs

Alex Smith deserves some credit, but not a whole lot. This guy is a good QB. He is very consistent. He has given the Chiefs enough every week to win. He hardly ever makes a mistake and simply keeps his team in the game. He just keeps giving them a chance. Andy Reid deserves a lot of the credit as well, but if they didn't sign Smith in the offseason, the Chiefs are a 2-2 after thought at this point.

The most impressive aspect of the Kansas City team is their defense. They're ranked 1st in points allowed and have some young talent that is emerging. Justin Houston has turned into a sack artist. He's well on his way to a Pro Bowl season. Dontarie Poe has really emerged as one of the best interior defensive linemen in the NFL. He's even applied some pressure and got to the QB. He's been a major reason why their run defense has improved. Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali and Brandon Flowers are great veteran leaders. I think this defense continues playing like a Top 5 caliber defense because they have such great balance of youth and veteran players. They might not lose again until week 7, but the Chiefs, ultimately, are pretenders.

Why are they pretenders? Alex Smith. I know I started off giving him credit, but when it comes playoff time, and the Chiefs will probably be there, they will be out of the playoffs pretty quickly. Smith can't get that ball to Bowe. Smith is not a playmaker and the QB position needs to make players around him better. This is a good team with an average QB. This good team is making him look like a good QB, which he isn't. He's completely average. And the bigger and more competitive the game is, the more likely Smith will be the one needed to make plays. And that's not his strength.

The Rookies in Buffalo

That's what is defining the Bills season. Their rookies. Kiko Alanso, EJ Manuel and Robert Woods have been three crucial pieces to make the Bills competitive. Their defense looked great against the Ravens - forcing 5 INTs and stymying a late comeback by Flacco. Marcel Dareus looks like he's taking a second step in becoming a top echelon player. Mario Williams flashes moments that make you think he might be worth 1/2 the money they paid him, then he lays an egg the very next week. They should probably be 3-1, but they have a very conservative coach and they're lucky that they're not 1-3. They dominated the Ravens but their conservative offense allowed the Ravens back in the game. The jury is still out on Manuel, but if he pans out, then the Bills will have something to root for. They might win 6 to 8 games, but they're kinda fun to watch.

Eric Wood is also ******* great if you didn't know.

Is Cleveland's season over? Or are they going to win the Division?

That's been the pendulum like swing they've experienced since the trade of all-potential-and-no-production running back, Trent Richardson. Brian Hoyer is now quarterbacking the Browns. He's 2-0 as a starter and actually looks pretty good. Jordan Cameron is a beast and he's probably making a splash with fantasy owners, but Josh Gordon is better than I thought. He's a freak. He has the potential to be an elite player; not just a wide receiver, but one of the best players in the NFL. His size and speed combination is disgusting. He's actually a really good route runner and he's only going to get better. This is just the beginning of how great he can become. That's if he doesn't **** it up like the asshole he is.

But I mentioned Joe Haden earlier. He has been shutting out the best WRs in the game. He completely owns AJ Green and he's now unarguably one of the elite corners in the NFL. This defense is legitimate. They are really good. 9th against the pass and 4th against the run. Pretty ******* good. TJ Ward is also playing extremely well, but I should mention Phil Taylor. I thought he was going to be a bust, but he has developed into one of the elite run stuffing nose tackles in the game. The only thing their lacking: a running game. Sounds funny to say, but I thought they won the Trent Richardson deal. If Hoyer can keep up his quality play, then they may rule out QB next offseason. They may be closer to a 12 win team than most people think. Paul Kruger, D'Qwell Jackson and Mingo are three impact players I didn't even mention. This team has serious talent. If they bolster that offensive line and add a couple running backs... With the coaching of the Bengals and the depleted Ravens, I would not at all be surprised to see the Browns win this division and make the playoffs. No, I'm not joking.

Philip Rivers is Back!!!

If anyone has seen me or paid any attention to me post you may have noticed that I've had a borderline repulsive man crush on Rivers and his 7 children who all have rocket arms. I've consider him to be the best QB prospect coming out of college I have ever seen. Matt Stafford was pretty much his equal in my eyes. But there was a point where I thought Rivers' career might be coming to a close. I defended him. I argued that his offense moronically structured with terrible offensive tackles that couldn't pass block, having no running game and the subpar receivers. Now, with a new coaching staff who realizes that it isn't a good idea to do play action and take seven step drops so that the QB has to wait for long, slow developing routes while having two tackles that can't block for ****. Watching that... Is finally over. The Chargers are really close to being a 4-0 team despite having a pretty bad defense. I don't have much else to say because I don't think they'll make the playoffs: they're still lacking talent across the board. I'm just happy my all-time favorite QB is looking like Peyton Manning again.

Chip Kelly has a good offense

Everyone wondered what Kelly was going to do with his offense. After four games we have a good idea. It is what it is. A lot of yards, little time off the clock and hardly ever on the field. After a three-and-out the defense goes onto the field, gives up a TD and then the Eagles might score in 1:34 seconds only to see their defense stay on the field for 7 minutes and give up another score. This isn't college where you can recruit an 18 year old with straight cash homie, and strippers. It's going to be a little more difficult to build through the draft. I'd take the under on giving Kelly 2.5 years before he goes back to school. Jackson and McCoy are having good seasons, but the defense is so hilariously bad. And they have a streaky QB who overthrows open targets. That's not going to be a consistent formula to out scoring teams.

I will be honest, I don't like Chip Kelly and part of me wants to see him fail. I'm not surprised by the initial success, if that's what we want to call his emergence in the league. I think year two will be much worse than 5 win team he has now.

Who will the Jaguars beat?

If Jacksonville wins a single game this year I would be surprised. I look at the rest of their schedule and I see about three games where they might be competitive. They ******* suck. This is bad. The Broncos may go 16-0 and the Jaguars may go 0-16 in the same season. I think I want to see that. The Jaguars have the worst offense the NFL may have ever seen. In this day and age, when playing QB seems easier then ever, the Jaguars just can't seem to find a way to move the ball. Blaine Gabbert has yet to remove the rape whistle from his neck as he continues to play like a lonely college teenage girl walking around campus after midnight. Aaaahhhh!!!!!!! A bush.

The NFC East is the Worst Division in Football

Like every division there's four teams in the East. The Cowboys are leading the pack with a 2-2 record. Only the AFC North lacks a division leader with +.500 record, but the North has three teams with a 2-2 record.

The Eagles and Redskins are right in the thick of things with a 1-3 record each. But both teams have some of the worst defenses in the NFL, so they have almost have no shot of actually contending with the Cowboys... In theory, but the Cowboys seem to have no interest in putting a strangle hold on this division and just walking away with it; like they should. And when it comes to a Jason Garrett led team, I don't expect them to win tough games. And I expect them to lose game against division foes they have no business of losing. That's been the state of the Cowboys. Last year I thought Dez Bryant emerged as the second best wide receiver in the NFL. This year I think he's even better, but for a guy who has some of the best hands I've ever seen, he drops too many easy passes. He had a huge drop in Kansas City that would have probably won the game. Lack of focus. That's all is. If the focus was there all the time, then he'd be pushing Calvin Johnson for the label of best WR in the NFL instead being in the Top 5 debate.

On a side note, did you know DeMarcus Ware is still a ******* beast? I'm telling ya, he's name is going to be grouped with Lawrence Taylor and Derrick Thomas when all is said and done. For the last several years he has consistently been one of the ten best defensive players in the NFL. Each and every season.

Dallas is the most talented team in the East. They look like a 10 win team. The Giants are almost a clone of the Steelers. They're the least talented and the most dysfunctional. They can't run the ball, the offensive line is atrocious and their defense is getting torched on a weekly basis. Eli Manning is tarnishing his legacy. It's going to become increasingly more and more difficult to call him a Hall of Fame QB when he's so wildly inconsistent. Unless he has a miraculous turnaround he's going to be right at the top in turnovers from the QB position. It seems like its a yearly problem. I called his 2011 season one of the two or three best of any QB that year. He nearly threw for 5,000 yards and 30 TDs in the regular season and followed up a Super Bowl win with a 9TDs to 1 INT in the postseason. That almost seems like distant memory where he led comeback after comeback. Now he just seems like the guy that throws a bunch of interceptions every week. The Giants are old and untalented. Justin Tuck talks way too much for a guy that should be cut. Hakeem Nicks can't stay healthy and might have lost interest after his 2011 season. JPP is plagued with back issues and the only player on that defense worth a ****. Everyone else, literally, everyone else could be replaced or upgraded. Victor Cruz is the only guy still balling. There's a lot of talk about not turning on the old ball coach... The players need to look in the mirror and start playing better or realize that they just suck. I hear the players standing up for Coughlin and part of me thinks they might salvage the season, but when I look at their depth chart I try to find it where the improvement is going to come from. If the offensive line doesn't start playing better to give Manning a chance, then it's never going to happen. I'd be surprised if they win five games this year.

The Redskins have all kinds of issues. RGIII is a franchise QB. He was worthy of going first overall, let alone second overall. I like his talent and upside. He's a dynamic game changer. But right now he's not the same QB. That's obvious. He can't run the ball and now he's forced to be someone who he isn't: a pure pocket passer. I expect him to start running with the ball towards the back half of the season like he's capable of, but I don't think he fully recovers until next year. Outside of that, he needs to stop talking. The coaching staff needs to order a gag order. He is throwing his coaching under the bus and pointing fingers way too much. I'm getting sick of him. He's getting an ego and right now he has to realize he isn't as good as he thinks he is. He's partly to blame for the Redskins struggles.

Reigning Conference Champs Struggling

The Ravens Super Bowl slump was expected with all the losses to key personnel, but the 49ers were supposed to be Super Bowl bound. They have stumbled out of the gates since dominating the Packers in week 1. The rush defense has been surprisingly average and the passing offense has struggled under second year starter Colin Kaepernick. I'm not going to pretend that the 49ers still don't have a chance to rattle off 8 wins in a row, but I think this average start has been enough to pull their heads out of the clouds. There are no longer the favorites. They're going to need to improve and this offense needs to get back to dominating the line of scrimmage.

Kaepernick is still dependent on a good rushing attack to set up play action. He's not going to drop back and pick a defense apart with progression reads and pre-snap audibles. But it is apparent that that the team misses Michael Crabtree. Boldin has played like a monster in a couple of games, but he's not the #1 WR he used to be. Once the team gets healthy and comes back full strength the 49ers will be contending in the playoffs. But Justin Smith looks like he has finally declined. I think that's the biggest reason for the drop in their run defense, but with the two best linebackers in the NFL in Bowman and Willis, I expect them to improve and get back to a Top 10 defense. It hasn't been roses, but the 49ers are still a Super Bowl contender.

The Ravens were embarrassed against the Broncos in week 1, but have looked fairly decent since then. Last weeks loss to the Bills was typical of the Ravens. They play down to their competition despite being the better team. A rookie QB should not beat the guy who just won the Super Bowl. Not in this day and age. They have a team that could make the playoffs if Flacco leads them there. Coming off a 5 INT game I expect Flacco to turn it around. With the addition of Eugene Monroe the offensive line should see improvements. LT has been a major issue. This could be a huge addition that solidifies the line and provides a boost in the running game.

Ranking 4 Winless Teams

I'll finish this thread with the worst of the worst. The teams with the loosest butthole.

32. Jacksonville Jaguars

I already mentioned how the offense and defense of the Jaguars is loosest butthole in the NFL. See above remarks for complete details.

31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

There's about to be a players mutiny in Tampa. This season could be a complete debacle. This is a talented team capable of winning 9 games, but with this head coach... Not going to happen. Josh Freeman is garnering no interest on the trade market. That won't change until they outright cut him, which will happen in a matter of weeks. To add insult to injury, they have a rookie QB starting. With that said, their defense gives them a chance to win every single week. They probably deserve to be raked higher than this, but the locker room turmoil is the worst in the NFL.

30. New York Giants

See above NFC East topic for further details about the ****** Giants.

29. Pittsburgh Steelers

Is this the end for Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh? There's been grumblings recently and constant talk about Haley and Big Ben clashing; or not meeting eye-to-eye. This defense is finally starting to show their age. The Steelers are now getting close to a team that needs to start rebuilding. My question is: How are they going to do that? Certainly not through the draft.

Let's look back at the Steelers first round picks since 2000:

Quote:
2000 - Plaxico Burress, WR Michigan St
2001 - Casey Hampton, NT Texas
2002 - Kendall Simmons, OG Auburn
2003 - Troy Polamalu, S USC
2004 - Ben Roethlisberger, QB Miami (OH)
2005 - Heath Miller, TE Virginia
2006 - Santonio Holmes, WR Ohio St
2007 - Lawrence Timmons, LB Florida St
2008 - Rashard Mendenhall, RB Illinois
2009 - Ziggy Hood, DE Missouri
2010 - Maurkice Pouncey, C Florida
2011 - Cameron Hayward, DE Ohio State
2012 - David DeCastro, OG Stanford
2013 - None
From 2000 to 2007 they hit home runs on every one of their first round picks with the exception of 2002. One pick in 8 years. From 2008 to 2013 they have had one home run (Pouncey). That's one good / great player in the last 6 years compared to 7 good / great players in the previous 8 years. DeCastro hasn't done much other than end Pouncey's 2013 season. Hayward and Hood are backups / rotational guys, but they're depended on stopping the run and they can't do that very well. Hampton's career is over. They no longer have that force in the middle to make players around him better and stop the run.

I just don't understand how the Steelers expect to improve when they are making bad decisions in round 1. They're rarely drafting the BPA. '09 and '11 were need picks where they took a 3rd round caliber player and a 2nd round caliber player in round 1. When they do hit on a second or third round pick - Mike Wallace, Keenan Lewis - they don't see a second contract with the team. I wouldn't expect that to change with Antonio Brown. The Steelers haven't been known to be a great drafting team, but they've been dominating round 1... until recent years. Most of these picks have been under Tomlin's watch. He's taken a talented roster and slowly watched it dissolve into a team that's winless through four games. Great motivator, but since his arrival the drafting has plummeted. The Steelers do nothing in free agency, so I don't know how they expect to get better. I'm think the Steelers are going to be a bottom feeder in the AFC North for the next few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 10-02-2013 at 02:38 AM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Super Bowl led by Steve Gleason. Destiny.

Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=BigBanger;3461762][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]Ranking The 5 Undeafted Teams:

1. Denver Broncos

Peyton Manning is primed for the best year of his career. He's starting off the season running an offense that averages nearly 45 points a game. Which, in comparison, is pretty impressive because the Jaguars and Buccaneers haven't scored over 45 points during the first 4 games of their abysmal seasons.

Manning has 16 TD passes to 0 INTs. He's completing 75% of his throws and he's ready to assault the record books. The Broncos are still without their juice head, Von Miller, and old man winter, Champ Bailey. Despite the Broncos not playing anyone through the first four gams worth a ****, they should only get better. Which is scary. As long as they have Peyton Manning and they avoid catastrophic injuries, this is the Super Bowl representative from the AFC. They have been dominant. They have the best wide receiving corps in the NFL. Everyone started questioning what was going to happen when Ryan Clady went out for the season. What's gonna happen to Peyton Manning? Hows he going to adjust? Manning hasn't had a LT worth a **** since Tarik Glenn. He'll adjust. The Broncos will be fine, but it won't be 50 points a game once they start facing some better level of competition. But the Broncos offense is just too stacked. Moreno is playing well and they found a TE in Julius Thomas that has turned into a great weapon. They should be the favorite in every game.

Quote:
While Denver's schedule is easy beyond belief and they are almost impossible to beat in Denver even before Peyton, and where they played 3 of their 1st 4 games, facing only the hapless Giants on the road, it should come with zero surprise that they have been destroying their opponents. Let's see how they fare in New England, Kansas City and San Diego much later in the season before we anoint them.
Given Peyton's playoff record, I still don't expect them to win another SB.

2. New Orleans Saints

The New Orleans Saints are for real ya'll. I hope this story garners more attention because with Sean Peyton back at the helm the entire team has done a complete 180. They went from a historically atrocious defense to a very good defense that plays fast and creates turnovers. Jimmy Graham is now, clearly the best TE in the NFL - maybe ahead of Jordan Cameron of all people. He is a matchup nightmare and he's dominating the NFL. He's playing for a contract and all I can say is: PAY THE MAN!!! He's a beast. Drew Brees is going to throw for 5,300 yards, or his usual video game numbers. How a guy who's 6-foot-nothing and has to stand on his tippy-toes to see over the line, tilt his head up so his face mask isn't blocking his view and dominate the game the way he does... Sometimes it just hits you how great a player he is. MNF against the Dolphins did just that.

Defensively Cameron Jordan has arrived. I was extremely high on him coming out of college and thought he'd be better in a 34 front so I'm biased to begin with. And I thought he was the lone bright spot on that defense last year. I thought he was a Pro Bowl player. This year he's about to become one of the Top 43 defensive ends in the game. He's a complete monster. Keenan Lewis and Jabari Greer are two very good corners with Malcolm Jenkins and Kenny Vaccarro looking like a great safety tandem. Rob Ryan may be looking like a mastermind, but it all comes back to Sean Peyton, who should be a leading candidate for coach of the year. I suspect they meet the Broncos in the Super Bowl. The Saints have the franchise QB, a good defense and one of the elite coaches in the game. They're a better team this year than they were when they won the Super Bowl. It would be a great Manning-Brees rematch.

Quote:
Just goes to show how much a HC means to a winning team. Certainly as much as 30% and possibly as much as 50%

3. Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks are 4-0, thanks to Matt Schaub, for the first time I'm their franchise history. The defense is giving up 11 points a game and have proven that they completely own the 49ers. Richard Sherman is the best corner in the NFL. I'm done hearing about Darrell Revis or the next best guy. It's quite clearly Richard Sherman. Not one other corner has been the type of game changer he has been over the last two seasons. He finds the ball as good as any corner you are going to see. It's not a coincidence that he turned an average QB into the bum of the week with his game tying pick 6.

Marshawn Lynch appears to be getting back into the grove of things after a bit of a slow start to the season. He ran well against the 49ers in a tough game and put up over 140 yards on just 20 touches against a good Texans defense. But I can't help but think that this offense needs more from the wide receivers. Percy Harvin is going to be a major addition to this team midway through the season. I'm not sure how good this team will be or what type of impact Harvin will have, but I think they need more offensive firepower to compete with the Saints. They also need to keep pace with New Orleans because home field advantage is more important to them than any other team in the NFL.

Quote:
Your certainly right about Seattle's advantage playing at home and it looks like it will be between them and the Saints for the NFC's team in the SB.

4. New England Patriots

I honestly have no idea how Tom Brady is doing it. If Peyton Manning wasn't dominating people, then he'd be my case for MVP. This is one of the least talented teams in the NFL at the skill positions at Brady is a running an offense that out scores Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez and Roddy White IN ATLANTA. That shouldn't happen.

New England has had a soft schedule thus far. They've lucked out a little bit and I don't expect them to win their division. The loss of Vince Wilfork will be felt. Right now they are giving up 105 rush yards a game. That's going to get worse. But Aqib Talib is playing at an All-Pro level. Outside of Joe Haden there isn't another corner in the AFC playing anywhere near his level. When matched up mostly against Julio Jones Talib's stat line looked like this: Thrown at 8 times, 1 completion given up for 1 yard. And he had 1 INT and the game winning pass defended. He's as talented as any corner in the NFL. Consistency has always been his issue, but he looks like he's hungry for a contract extension. The team is well coached, but I think they're going to be 5-3 (at best) by the time they hit their bye week (week 10).

Quote:
I agree, it is totally amazing the stats/wins Brady has put up over his career with practically nobody to throw to except Welker. His greatness keeps on ticking no matter how poor a team NE puts on the field. I fully expect them to win the east quite comfortably and possibly make another SB appearance even with the lack of talent.
5. Kansas City Chiefs

Alex Smith deserves some credit, but not a whole lot. This guy is a good QB. He is very consistent. He has given the Chiefs enough every week to win. He hardly ever makes a mistake and simply keeps his team in the game. He just keeps giving them a chance. Andy Reid deserves a lot of the credit as well, but if they didn't sign Smith in the offseason, the Chiefs are a 2-2 after thought after four weeks.

The most impressive aspect of the Kansas City team is their defense. They're ranked 1st in points allowed and have some young talent that is emerging. Justin Houston has turned into a sack artist. He's well on his way to a Pro Bowl season. Dontarie Poe has really emerged as one of the best interior defensive linemen in the NFL. He's even applied some pressure and got to the QB. He's been a major reason why their run defense has improved. Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali and Brandon Flowers are great veteran leaders. I think this defense continues playing like a Top 5 caliber defense because they have such great balance of youth and veteran players. They might not lose again until week 7, but the Chiefs, ultimately, are pretenders.

Why are they pretenders? Alex Smith. I know I started off giving him credit, but when it comes playoff time, and he Chiefs will probably be there, they will be out of the playoffs pretty quickly. Smith can't get that ball to Bowe. He's not a playmaker and the QB position needs to make players around him better. This is a good team with an average QB. This good team is making him look like a good QB, which he isn't. He's completely average. And the bigger and more competitive the game is, the more likely Smith will be the one needed to make plays. And that's not his strength.

Quote:
In Reid's offense, Smith is a perfect fit unlike his years under Harbough, Smith is solid for a WCO that Reid runs and I believe they will not be pretenders but a fairly solid team over the season and a true threat to Denver in the playoffs where Peyton tends to disappear.

The Rookies in Buffalo

That's what is defining the Bills season. Their rookies. Kiko Alanso, EJ Manuel and Robert Woods have been three crucial pieces to make the Bills competitive. Their defense looked great against the Ravens - forcing 5 INTs and stymying a late comeback by Flacco. Marcel Dareus looks like he's taking a second step in becoming a top echelon player. Mario Williams flashes moments that make you think he might be worth 3/4 of the amount of money they paid him and then he lays an egg the very next game. They should probably be 3-1, but they have a very conservative coach and they're lucky that they're not 1-3. They have dominated the Ravens but their conservative offense allowed the Ravens back in the game late. The jury is still out on Manuel, but if he pans out, then the Bills will have something to root for. Eric Wood is also ******* great if you didn't know.

Quote:
Buffalo looks like it will have a decent season but nothing special and certainly not a serious threat to NE.

Is Cleveland's season over? Or are they going to win the Division?

That's been the pendulum like swing they've experience since the trade of all-potential-and-no-production running back, Trent Richardson. Brian Hoyer is no quarterbacking the Browns. He's 2-0 as a starter and actually looks good. Jordan Cameron is a beast and he's probably making a splash with fantasy owners, but Josh Gordon is better than I thought. He's a freak. He has the potential to be an elite player; not just a wide receiver, but one of the best players in the NFL. His size and speed combination is deadly. He's actually a really good route runner and he's only going to get better. This is just the beginning of how great he can become. That's if he doesn't **** it up like the asshole he is.

But I mentioned Joe Haden earlier. He has been shutting out the best WRs in have game. He completely owns AJ Green and he's now unarguably one of huge elite corners in the NFL. This defense is legitimate. They are really good. 9th against the pass and 4th against the run. Pretty good. TJ Ward is also playing extremely well, but I should mention Phil Taylor. I thought he was going to be a bust, but he has developed into one of the elite run stuffing nose tackles in the game. The only thing their lacking: a running game. Sounds funny to say, but I thought he won the Trent Richardson deal. If Hoyer can keep his quality play up they may rule out QB. They may be closer to a 12 win team than most people think. Paul Kruger, D'Qwell Jackson and Mingo are three impact players I didn't even mention. This team has serious talent. If they bolster that offensive line and add a couple running backs... With the coaching of the Bengals and the depleted Ravens, I would not at all be surprised to see the a Browns win this division and make the playoffs. No, I'm not joking.

Quote:
No way IMO that Cleveland is any kind of a serious threat to make the playoffs, their QB will soon come back to earth as teams take him more seriously. I fully expect them to finish no better than 3rd in their Division but they do have some nice pieces to build on.

Philip Rivers is Back!!!

If anyone has seen me post or paid any attention they've probably noticed that I've had a borderline disgusting man crush on Rivers and his 7 children who all have rocket arms. I've consider him to be the best QB prospect coming out of college I have ever seen. Matt Stafford was pretty much his equal in my eyes. But there was a point where I thought Rivers' career might be coming to a close. I defended him and argued that his offense was so moronically structured with terrible offensive tackles that could pass block, having no running game and the subpar receivers for the past two years. Now, with a new coaching staff who realizes that it isn't a good idea to do play action and take seven step drops so that the QB has to wait for long, slow developing routes while having two tackles that can't block for ****. Watching that... Is finally over. The Chargers are really close to being 4-0 despite having a pretty bad defense. I don't have much else to say because I don't think they'll make the playoffs: they're still lacking talent across the board. I'm just happy my all-time favorite QB is looking like Peyton Manning again.

Quote:
We all knew Norv Turner was a useless HC and Rivers paid the price for supporting him. Now free of him, I fully expected Rivers to thrive.

Chip Kelly has a good offense

Everyone wondered what Kelly was going to do with his offense. After four games we have a good idea. It is what it is. A lot of yards, little time off the clock and hardly ever on the field. After a three-and-out the defense goes onto the field, gives up a TD and then the Eagles might score in 1:34 seconds only to see their defense stay on the field for 7 minutes and give up another score. This isn't college where you can recruit an 18 year old with cash and strippers. It's going to be a little more difficult to build through the draft. I'd take the under on giving Kelly 2.5 years before he goes back to school. Jackson and McCoy are having good seasons, but the defense is so bad and they have a streaky QB who overthrows open targets. That's not going to be a consistent formula to out scoring teams.

I will be honest, I don't like Chip Kelly and part of me wants to see him fail. I'm not surprised by initial success. I think year two will be much worse than 5 win team he has now.

Quote:
Like a lot of mediocre teams, Kelly needs a much better QB to make his offense work before we'll know if he can be successful at this level.

Who will the Jaguars beat?

If Jacksonville wins a single game this year I would be surprised. I look at the rest of their schedule and I see about three games where they might be competitive in. They ******* suck. This is bad. The Broncos may go 16-0 and the Jaguars may go 0-16 in the same season. I think I want to see that.

Quote:
Good question, they look to be totally hapless but likely some team won't take them too seriously and get upset by them before the season is over. It is extremely hard to modivate a team when they face Jacksonville and sooner or later the upset almost always occurs.
Interesting read!!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:31 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have issue with your Talib and Haden comment. Alterraun Verner is playing at every bit if their level.. 4ints, 2 fumble recoveries, lockdown coverage, and one of the best tackling CBs in the NFL says hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:30 PM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.

I wouldn't give Brady too much credit for what is going on in New England. They lucked out against the Bills and Jets, two teams with young QB's. They also played a Tampa team that is in disarray.

Drew Brees should be second in MVP voting, not Brady.
7DnBrnc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:47 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alex Smith doesn't have to be Peyton or Brees in this offense. He's doing exactly what he has been asked to do.. and this is coming from someone who isn't really a fan of his.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
MidwestJimmy
Veteran

MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 49ers split with the Seahawks last season, so I wouldn't say Seattle complety owns them until they win in SF (or San Jose starting next year).

Phillip Rivers always gets people exited until one of his patented 5 INT games. It's coming soon. Jay Cutler does that too, and he threw 3 picks on Sunday. Rivers and Cutler are pretty much the same guy.

The Jaguars are the I-AA of the NFL. It's like when a top 5 team plays against North Alaska State or somebody like that -- you know it's going to be a 59-3 game.
MidwestJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
I wouldn't give Brady too much credit for what is going on in New England. They lucked out against the Bills and Jets, two teams with young QB's. They also played a Tampa team that is in disarray.

Drew Brees should be second in MVP voting, not Brady.
Not sure if serious. With probably any other QB not named Peyton the Pats are probably 0-4.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Alex Smith doesn't have to be Peyton or Brees in this offense. He's doing exactly what he has been asked to do.. and this is coming from someone who isn't really a fan of his.
The best that can get you most years is going to be 8-8 or the occasional 9-7. You don't hitch your cart to a QB like that.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:27 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

At this point I would be shocked if anybody but the Seahawks or Saints come out of the NFC and the Broncos, Patriots, or Chiefs come out of the AFC to play in the Super Bowl.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
At this point I would be shocked if anybody but the Seahawks or Saints come out of the NFC and the Broncos, Patriots, or Chiefs come out of the AFC to play in the Super Bowl.
okay this is probably the stupidest thing ive ever heard. Essentially, youre saying youd be shocked if the rest of the season and playoffs goes any way besides the way the first 4 weeks have gone. wow. im not gonna bother and rattle off all the examples of teams that start great and fall apart/start poorly and pull it together...it happens every year

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make when I read the write-up, which I thought overall was good....But to put the Saints 2 and the Chiefs 5 based on 4 games is ridiculous to me. Am I the only one who still has major reservations about these teams? Sorry, but Im not ready to buy into the Saints' defense. This is the same group that set the record for yards allowed last year, and I expect them to struggle when they play against some better offenses. I really like Vaccaro, Gallete and Cameron Jordan, but overall there is a serious lack of talent on this unit. Its very hard for me to see this group coming up with meaningful stops in the playoffs. And no one is really talking about it, but the pass protection has been poor, and the run game has been nonexistent, and I dont think this Saints' offense is as unstoppable as people think....As for the Chiefs, I really do think their D is legit, but Im still not buying the offense. Jamaal Charles is great, but they are way too reliant on him, and when this team is playing against a good defense and needs to put together a drive, I really dont think Alex Smith is gonna be able to make it happen throwing to Donnie Avery and Dwayne Bowe.

As for the Patriots, I was just starting to drink the Kool-Aid, but the Vince Wilfork injury is making me have second thoughts.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy Picks View Post
okay this is probably the stupidest thing ive ever heard. Essentially, youre saying youd be shocked if the rest of the season and playoffs goes any way besides the way the first 4 weeks have gone. wow. im not gonna bother and rattle off all the examples of teams that start great and fall apart/start poorly and pull it together...it happens every year
Look at the thread I bumped.

86% of Super Bowl winners start out 3-1 or 4-0.

Only one team has started out 1-3 or worse, and that was the 2007 Giants.

Basically speaking you can tell ALOT about the Super Bowl after the first four weeks. The Super Bowl teams usually start well.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Basically speaking you can tell ALOT about the Super Bowl after the first four weeks. The Super Bowl teams usually start well.
The 2007 Giants started 0-2 but were 2-2 after 4 games.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The team that wins the championship is generally the team that improves the most over the course of the season, not the team that plays the best at the start of the season. Of course, the best teams are generally going to start the season well, but its beyond ridiculous to even be thinking about the Super Bowl right now. It will be the team that is playing its best come playoff time that wins the SB, not the team playing its best in the first 4 weeks.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The team that wins the championship is generally the team that improves the most over the course of the season,
I really don't know where you get some of the things you say. No, the Super Bowl winner is the team that is the best at the end of the season. The amount of improvement has nothing to do with it. You look at a team like Denver and can see that they are already hugely talented and well-coordinated. They are going to improve somewhat, yes, but they are not going to be the most-improved team in the league simply because they have the least amount of improvement to make; while a team like the Bills is going to grow a lot as their rookies become more acclimated to the NFL, the Broncos are more about perfecting a team which is already in the upper echelon.

Quote:
its beyond ridiculous to even be thinking about the Super Bowl right now.
Haha... why? That's what we have seasons for. You know, to compile wins in order to get into the playoffs (where the Super Bowl is) and to try and get things like homefield advantage to make their playoff run easier. You don't think these 4 undefeated teams think of those Ws as exactly the kind of start that's going to get them to exactly where they want to be?

Quote:
It will be the team that is playing its best come playoff time that wins the SB, not the team playing its best in the first 4 weeks.
NO NO NO! TOTALLY WRONG! It's not the team that's playing its best, it's the team that's playing the best. If, say, Denver is head-and-shoulders the most talented team in the league, they could very conceivably have an off day and still beat a Buffalo team that's playing its best game of the year. The whole point, in the other thread, is to point out that the best teams, the ones who have been winning Super Bowls, have been, overwhelmingly, good teams out of the gate. You can't dispute this. It's an obvious statistical trend.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 10-01-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember that time the 2008 Bills started 4-0? How did they do in the Super Bowl?

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make when I read the write-up, which I thought overall was good....But to put the Saints 2 and the Chiefs 5 based on 4 games is ridiculous to me. Am I the only one who still has major reservations about these teams? Sorry, but Im not ready to buy into the Saints' defense. This is the same group that set the record for yards allowed last year, and I expect them to struggle when they play against some better offenses. I really like Vaccaro, Gallete and Cameron Jordan, but overall there is a serious lack of talent on this unit. Its very hard for me to see this group coming up with meaningful stops in the playoffs. And no one is really talking about it, but the pass protection has been poor, and the run game has been nonexistent, and I dont think this Saints' offense is as unstoppable as people think....As for the Chiefs, I really do think their D is legit, but Im still not buying the offense. Jamaal Charles is great, but they are way too reliant on him, and when this team is playing against a good defense and needs to put together a drive, I really dont think Alex Smith is gonna be able to make it happen throwing to Donnie Avery and Dwayne Bowe.

As for the Patriots, I was just starting to drink the Kool-Aid, but the Vince Wilfork injury is making me have second thoughts.
No it isn't. As you pointed out. They have new players, some young guys are getting better, and perhaps most importantly, Rob Ryan has been a blessing so far.

The Saints D is way improved and there's pretty much no reason to talk about last year's unit four games in considering they're giving up 13 ppg right now.

The run defense is struggling, probably by design playing a 3-3-5 bend-don't-break, rush-the-passer style. But they have the personnel to stop the run.

I don't think they're amazing or anything, but there's no comparison to last year's shitshow.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
No it isn't. As you pointed out. They have new players, some young guys are getting better, and perhaps most importantly, Rob Ryan has been a blessing so far.

The Saints D is way improved and there's pretty much no reason to talk about last year's unit four games in considering they're giving up 13 ppg right now.

The run defense is struggling, probably by design playing a 3-3-5 bend-don't-break, rush-the-passer style. But they have the personnel to stop the run.

I don't think they're amazing or anything, but there's no comparison to last year's shitshow.
Its still mostly the same players...I pointed out Cameron, Gallete and Vaccaro. Cameron and Gallete were both bright spots on a horrible unit last year, and I expected it to be the same this year. Vaccaro was a good addition, and he is making a positive impact. Besides that, its mostly the same guys. John Jenkins, Keenan Lewis and Parys Haralson are the only other additions I can think of, and I dont see any of them as difference-makers.

And IDK, I have always thought Rob Ryan had no business being a DC and is best fit as a position coach. Maybe he fell into the perfect situation. Maybe he matured. Or maybe they are just off to a good start and are gonna go back to getting toasted soon. Obviously theyre not nearly as bad as last year, but no way do they keep up their current pace IMO.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
I really don't know where you get some of the things you say. No, the Super Bowl winner is the team that is the best at the end of the season. The amount of improvement has nothing to do with it. You look at a team like Denver and can see that they are already hugely talented and well-coordinated. They are going to improve somewhat, yes, but they are not going to be the most-improved team in the league simply because they have the least amount of improvement to make; while a team like the Bills is going to grow a lot as their rookies become more acclimated to the NFL, the Broncos are more about perfecting a team which is already in the upper echelon.
The team that is best at the end of the season is the team that improves the most throughout the course of the season. Just because Denver is off to an amazing start does not mean they dont still have plenty of improving to do. The team that gets off to a good start and gets complacent is the team that gets bounced in the first round of the playoffs. Great teams dont need to lose to improve, they find nuances every week to work on and keep getting better. Perfecting a team that is in the upper echelon IS improving.

Quote:
Haha... why? That's what we have seasons for. You know, to compile wins in order to get into the playoffs (where the Super Bowl is) and to try and get things like homefield advantage to make their playoff run easier. You don't think these 4 undefeated teams think of those Ws as exactly the kind of start that's going to get them to exactly where they want to be?
Yes, but this league is all about focusing on the present. You cant get caught thinking about February. What does every player answer when asked about future SB or playoff chances? "I'm just focused on the (insert next week's opponent)". Every good coach trains their players to think like this, and for good reason. Sure, they are thinking about it to some extent. It is the grand prize at the end of the day. As fans, if were trying to forecast the SB, we have to look at what is going on week-to-week. Trying to predict which team will be the best 4 months from now is a little ridiculous. It's a fun exercise, but not something to be talked about seriously. So when someone narrows the SB contenders to 5 or so teams after 4 weeks, yes that is stupid.

Quote:
NO NO NO! TOTALLY WRONG! It's not the team that's playing its best, it's the team that's playing the best. If, say, Denver is head-and-shoulders the most talented team in the league, they could very conceivably have an off day and still beat a Buffalo team that's playing its best game of the year. The whole point, in the other thread, is to point out that the best teams, the ones who have been winning Super Bowls, have been, overwhelmingly, good teams out of the gate. You can't dispute this. It's an obvious statistical trend.
This is the NFL. There is no team that is head-and-shoulders more talented than the rest of the league. The team that is playing THE best, will also be a team that is playing ITS best.

And no, I dont read much into that oversimplified stat that guy threw out. All that stat tells me is that teams that get off to bad starts are less likely to make the playoffs, and thus less likely to win the SB. Kind of common sense.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:26 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The best chance for the Jaguars to win a game may be this week, against St. Louis. The Rams don't exactly have a stunning offense so it should be low scoring. Maybe a turnover or a punt return gives the Jaguars a 14-10 win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No. That's not going to happen.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
The best chance for the Jaguars to win a game may be this week, against St. Louis. The Rams don't exactly have a stunning offense so it should be low scoring. Maybe a turnover or a punt return gives the Jaguars a 14-10 win?
lol i think the Rams are 13 point favorites, which is a little ridiculous considering theyve gotten blown out 2 weeks in a row. Then again that speaks to how bad the Rams are. If I was gonna bet Id take the Jags and the points though. They are getting Blackmon back this week, and its just hard to really believe they can be THIS bad. Then again, they did get destroyed by the Raiders.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
Phillip Rivers always gets people exited until one of his patented 5 INT games. It's coming soon. Jay Cutler does that too, and he threw 3 picks on Sunday. Rivers and Cutler are pretty much the same guy.
Rivers has never thrown 5 INTS in a game. And he's only thrown more than two INTS twice in his career. Wouldn't say it's a trademark.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:40 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
The 49ers split with the Seahawks last season, so I wouldn't say Seattle complety owns them until they win in SF (or San Jose starting next year).

The Jaguars are the I-AA of the NFL. It's like when a top 5 team plays against North Alaska State or somebody like that -- you know it's going to be a 59-3 game.
Santa Clara.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:23 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

browns r 4 real bring it on bufffffalo

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote