Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-01-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredder View Post
I'm really not sure what you're talking about with Hundley's release. I don't see much of a difference between him and Mariota and certainly nothing like Byron Leftwich. The thing that confuses me about Mariota is how he has a 56% completion percentage this year on such a high powered offense. I've actually seen him make a lot of accurate throws which is why this is so confusing. Anybody who's watched him this year have an answer?
There have been a lot of drops so far from what I've seen.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:04 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just watched Boyd's tape against Georgia this year as I missed the game when it was on. I am way down on him after watching that. He made only a couple throws that I would even call good and was even inconsistent with his accuracy on short throws. I saw nothing that made me think he could be an NFL Qb. I assumed that would've been a good tape to watch with them beating a top team. Am I wrong? Also he has such an ugly throwing motion. I really don't get the hype on him at this point.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredder View Post
I just watched Boyd's tape against Georgia this year as I missed the game when it was on. I am way down on him after watching that. He made only a couple throws that I would even call good and was even inconsistent with his accuracy on short throws. I saw nothing that made me think he could be an NFL Qb. I assumed that would've been a good tape to watch with them beating a top team. Am I wrong? Also he has such an ugly throwing motion. I really don't get the hype on him at this point.
Watch first half vs. NC State - he'll really disgust you.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:13 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
Watch first half vs. NC State - he'll really disgust you.
Haha I'm not sure I want to. I mean at this point I don't even know what round I'd want to take him in. I still have a bunch of qbs to scout but at this point he's even below Stephen Morris for me. I can at least imagine Morris playing in the NFL even if he's really far away from that at this point.

On a more positive note I finally got to watch some tape of Mettenberger from this year and its incredible how much he's improved. I've pushed him up to my #1 senior at this point. He has moments of inconsistencies but he makes some incredible throws that as Scott mentioned on the podcast tonight are "NFL throws". I think the second round is his most likely landing spot but the first round is an absolute possibility especially if some of the underclassmen stay in school.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've yet to actively scout Mariota this year but I just came across his stats.

He's completing 54% of his passes? What?
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:02 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I've yet to actively scout Mariota this year but I just came across his stats.

He's completing 54% of his passes? What?
Below 55% is unacceptable for top QB prospect nowadays. Decision making and accuracy, then arm strength are the most important attributes for a QB prospect.

Mariota still has to prove he's not a product of the Ducks offensive system.
I think Mariota stays for at least one more season.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 10-11-2013 at 04:06 PM.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:10 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Y'all are overreacting to the numbers and a small sample size. Mariota completed 68% of his passes last year. He hasn't had many games where he's thrown a lot, or in tight games where he's throwing shorter passes to try and move the ball down field. I mean Oregon is always scoring very quickly.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
Y'all are overreacting to the numbers and a small sample size. Mariota completed 68% of his passes last year. He hasn't had many games where he's thrown a lot, or in tight games where he's throwing shorter passes to try and move the ball down field. I mean Oregon is always scoring very quickly.

Yeah but people talk about Mariota like he's going to bring that 600 yards of total offense a game with him to the pros.

I'm just not in favor of QBs declaring after only two years of starting when they still have eligibility left. Unless we're talking about Manziel.

Oregon's scheme is not driven by Mariota's playmaking ability. I don't even know if he's the most valuable offensive player on their squad.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:15 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Huh? In that offense he should be near 70. He's 5 games in. Oregon scoring quickly has nothing to do with the fact he's dropped back more than 134 times and only completed a hair over half of those attempts.

His YPA is a very health 10.1, but I'm sure his receivers' YAC totals are insane.

I'm not making any declaration, the number just jumped out at me.

And now, again, just surveying the numbers, he had just a 7.9 YPA last year? Hm.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:25 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder if the fizzling out of the spread option in the NFL will have front offices once again reaffirm that the NFL QB position is played from within the pocket. I would be scared of drafting guys like Mariota and Hundley who are essentially option read system QBs.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:40 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
I wonder if the fizzling out of the spread option in the NFL will have front offices once again reaffirm that the NFL QB position is played from within the pocket. I would be scared of drafting guys like Mariota and Hundley who are essentially option read system QBs.
I wouldn't classify Hundley as a read option QB. Also I think most front offices assumed that the read option wouldn't be as effective this year. The QBs who were having success with it were guys with very solid passing skills to go along with their running ability. The main requirement for the QB position will always be delivering the ball from the pocket with running ability being a nice bonus.

When evaluating a guy like Mariota you've got to make sure he's going to be able to distribute the ball before you even consider his athletic ability.