Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 10-02-2013, 11:40 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am actually shocked that the counter argument that was brought up was for an FSU coach. Did not see that coming...

The last handful of pages in this thread have been great, keep it up guys.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
No one but USCw fans will think he's in the top tier as either a DL coach or Recruiter.

In 2013 he wasn't even in the Top 25 recruiters. He was in 2011-12 but never the top guy. One DL coach has made the list the last 3 years and thats FSU Interior DL Coach Odell Haggins.
You caught me off guard with an FSU reference there. I definitely didn't see that coming.

*Edit...iowatreat54: haha you and I both I guess*

Last edited by Punisher : 10-02-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:43 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I am actually shocked that the counter argument that was brought up was for an FSU coach. Did not see that coming...

The last handful of pages in this thread have been great, keep it up guys.
Facts are facts and he's the only DL coach on the list.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:44 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, on the Charlie Strong front, hiring a head coach because he can recruit is really, really stupid. You fill out your position coaches with a bunch of bros who can recruit and be creepy on twitter.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Facts are facts and he's the only DL coach on the list.
So him being the only DL coach on a list of top recruiters...how does that make him the top recruiter or the top DL coach? It may make him the top recruiting DL coach, but no the top DL coach AND top recruiter.

I'll hang up and listen...

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-02-2013, 11:51 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Also, on the Charlie Strong front, hiring a head coach because he can recruit is really, really stupid. You fill out your position coaches with a bunch of bros who can recruit and be creepy on twitter.
He does seem to be a very good leader, though. I wouldn't be hiring him because of his recruiting, he seems to have a great relationship with his team...and he's a true general. But his spot is in the south.

Massnole gonna Massnole...

...clown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not saying Charlie Strong is a bad coach. His work at Florida would indicate that he knows something about defense, and he seems to handle the media really well.

I'm just saying that hiring a guy because he has recruiting connections is an awful idea and has bombed on many occasions.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:58 AM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well USC has some of those bros.

My wishlist for USC headcoach right now(Realistic options):

1.)Chris Petersen
-Proven to get the most of out of little talent. Fantastic with young QB development. Fantastic record, and good history in big games. Humble yet confident leader who would be the exact opposite of Lame Kitten.
2.)Jack Del Rio
-Tough mentality that the team would surely instill from the get go. People person and could really see that boding well with his personality on the recruiting front. He would bring some great defensive talent to the Trojans while actually letting some else coach the offense(imagine that).
3.)James Franklin
-I honestly have not watched Vanderbilt games but he seems like the "it" guy. Just a fantastic motivator and recruiter. To make Vanderbilt football relevant is quite the task. Watching his interviews and pregame/post game speeches inspired me.
4.)Pat Fitzgerald
5.)Kevin Sumlin
6.)Charlie Strong
7.)Derek Mason
8-10.)Bobby Bowden
Old 10-02-2013, 11:59 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not saying Charlie Strong is a bad coach. His work at Florida would indicate that he knows something about defense, and he seems to handle the media really well.

I'm just saying that hiring a guy because he has recruiting connections is an awful idea and has bombed on many occasions.
Especially at a program that recruits for itself. Obviously you need coaches who have an idea of what they are doing, and are relentless in this day and age...but its an overrated aspect at big time programs.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:01 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So him being the only DL coach on a list of top recruiters...how does that make him the top recruiter or the top DL coach? It may make him the top recruiting DL coach, but no the top DL coach AND top recruiter.

I'll hang up and listen...
I never made assertion.

However it is clear Orgeron is neither the best DL Coach in the country or the best Recruiter in the country. In fact you can't even claim he's the best recruier at his position in the country. He got the wrap as a great recruiter when USC was great and it was like shooting fish in a barrel, and maybe then he was. But in 2013 he isn't.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
I never made assertion.

However it is clear Orgeron is neither the best DL Coach in the country or the best Recruiter in the country. In fact you can't even claim he's the best recruier at his position in the country. He got the wrap as a great recruiter when USC was great and it was like shooting fish in a barrel, and maybe then he was. But in 2013 he isn't.

Ok I'm done.

Quote:
Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Does Del Rio have much if any college experience? He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who will like having to recruit egotistical children.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post

Ok I'm done.
You made the ridiculous and laughably stupid assertion about Orgeron that you can't begin to backup, just admit you're wrong.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Does Del Rio have much if any college experience? He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who will like having to recruit egotistical children.
He's got none. Literally has never coached in any capacity at the NCAA level.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:08 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
You made the ridiculous and laughably stupid assertion about Orgeron that you can't begin to backup, just admit you're wrong.
Because he wasn't on a list of recruiters? And that is determined how? And yes, he is still the best DL coach in the country.

Where is this list? and if Tee Martin isn't on it...it is ******* useless.

Quote:
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I never made assertion.

Well, actually you brought up the FSU coach for no reason, so that would lead a reasonable person to the conclusion you are implying said coach is relevant to the topic.

The discussion was whether Orgeron was a top DL coach and/or a top recruiter. You could have just said he is not on a list of top recruiters the last 3 years, and left it at that.

So the question is, who do you believe to be the top DL coach and who is the top recruiter in the country?

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Punisher
Veteran

Quote:
IF JDR were to be the head coach I don't think that be as much of an issue. In fact, I think that would be a positive. Get everyone on the same page discipline wise and weed out "me first" attitudes. Nick Saban seems be doing doing fine in that category. (Ofcourse i'd rather have midget Saban yelling in my face rather than Del Rio who looks like he could play a couple of downs still at linebacker.)
Old 10-02-2013, 12:14 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
IF JDR were to be the head coach I don't think that be as much of an issue. In fact, I think that would be a positive. Get everyone on the same page discipline wise and weed out "me first" attitudes. Nick Saban seems be doing doing fine in that category. (Ofcourse i'd rather have midget Saban yelling in my face rather than Del Rio who looks like he could play a couple of downs still at linebacker.)
Oh he can definitely still play linebacker.

Quote:
Old 10-02-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Well, actually you brought up the FSU coach for no reason, so that would lead a reasonable person to the conclusion you are implying said coach is relevant to the topic.

The discussion was whether Orgeron was a top DL coach and/or a top recruiter. You could have just said he is not on a list of top recruiters the last 3 years, and left it at that.

So the question is, who do you believe to be the top DL coach and who is the top recruiter in the country?
Bobby Bowden and Jimbo.

Who else?

Quote:
Old 10-02-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Just looked it up he has only been an NFL coach. You can't compare him to Saban at all in that regard. Saban came up as a college coach and learned the nuiances of recruiting. He developed his own system that his tree of coaches all implemented with tremendous success. Del Rio doesn't even know the first thing about any of what goes into recruiting whereas Saban is THE master with proven disciples because of his custom built system and methodology.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:19 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

USC should just hire Kirk Ferentz and get it over with.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-02-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Top Recruiter - Kirby Smart
Top Defensive Line Coach - Brick Haley or Chris Rumph
Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Because he wasn't on a list of recruiters? And that is determined how? And yes, he is still the best DL coach in the country.

Where is this list? and if Tee Martin isn't on it...it is ******* useless.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hig...013/?mobile=no

And based on what is he possibly the best? It isn't on field quality or NFL draft picks.

Last edited by MassNole : 10-02-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:30 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Quote:
Just looked it up he has only been an NFL coach. You can't compare him to Saban at all in that regard. Saban came up as a college coach and learned the nuiances of recruiting. He developed his own system that his tree of coaches all implemented with tremendous success. Del Rio doesn't even know the first thing about any of what goes into recruiting whereas Saban is THE master with proven disciples because of his custom built system and methodology.
You asked about Del Rio having a problem being too much of a disciplinarian with players in which I compared him to Saban in that regard. Everything you said is irrelevant to that fact.

Last edited by Punisher : 10-02-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hig...013/?mobile=no

And based on what is he possibly the best? It isn't on field quality or NFL draft picks.
You obviously have no idea who CEO has coached then.

Quote: