Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-11-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCowboysTroll View Post
No idea on mr fumble and dropped passes yet. He plays like a rookie.

But I think Austin is expendable as every other star on this team.

I think we need to gut the team and get back what we can.

That includes Teacher's Pet Witten and the rest of the stars you love.

The rest you post is fannie boy nonsense IMHO.

And fact is the last time this offense was any good and consistent was Austin as the #1. Simple fact.

Offenses run best when their is a pecking order. I don't believe in this spread it out stuff -- especially against good defense.

But as usual, Jerrah has his boys he like to diddle and the rest is same old same old.

Playing favorites, scrapping certain players, praising others, and running a disorganized football team with no organizational accountability.
The hatred is strong in this one. Are you seriously incapabale of having a logical discussion?

Dez is bracketed all game long every week and he's still putting up elite numbers. Second in the league in TDs, only Welker has 1 more, but Welker never gets the same kind of attention. Second in the league in 1st Down conversions (24). Julio has (25) with a buttload of more targets btw. YAC is incredible. You say he has fumbilitis. He has 1. Even Julio Jones has 2. But I guess fumbles don't define him.

I think you are the only person in the world right now who thinks the Cowboys should be using Austin as their #1 WR. The guy can't even stay healthy! 2009 is gone and past him way by. Stop clinging onto those memories.

Don't believe in spread it out stuff? You mean like the Broncos? Pecking order??? Important??? Why? So we can be predicatable??? Ya, ok. Here's a little secret. Defenses dictate who our offenses' top target is. It's the guy THEY CHOOSE to send their top corner on or double cover.

As for accountability... you got a point there, but I'm already sick of the other stuff you said that I care not to comment on it. Then again, your idea of accountability is Jerry killing himself and his son. Just be mad and angry in your little hole cause that ain't happenin'.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCowboysTroll View Post
No. I don't think Garrett is stupid enough to think Monte Kiffin Tampa 2 was the way to go given all the time and money invested in the EXACT OPPOSITE OF THE TAMPA 2.

I think Garrett would have kept Ryan and tried to tinker out improvements.

I think someone talked to Jerrah and since he is too stupid to understand otherwise he got enamored with Kiffin.

Old dude with a system that does not work in the spread world who is too old to be anything but a 2-3 year hire.
I think that someone is Garrett... who LOVED working aside Kiffin in Tampa. But doh! It can't be. Makes too much sense.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:25 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont know how anybody can be a #1 anything if he cant stay on the field. Miles just hasnt been healthy the last 3 years and lost his spot as top dog. Nobody to blame but himself. T-Will is going to be a good WR, just didnt seem as much of a need as a Lineman. Your Mock has us taken a DL, Safety, and OL. How many years have we been wanting that? Seems like every year we have the same needs but JJ goes in another direction. If Johnny starts to fall, you think JJ will be able to resist? I doubt it Lol.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
I dont know how anybody can be a #1 anything if he cant stay on the field. Miles just hasnt been healthy the last 3 years and lost his spot as top dog. Nobody to blame but himself. T-Will is going to be a good WR, just didnt seem as much of a need as a Lineman. Your Mock has us taken a DL, Safety, and OL. How many years have we been wanting that? Seems like every year we have the same needs but JJ goes in another direction. If Johnny starts to fall, you think JJ will be able to resist? I doubt it Lol.
Well to be honest, we needed 2 Safeties last year, imo. FS AND SS. I didn't buy into Church being a permanent solution at SS (still don't) and I think/thought Wilcox will/would be his eventual replacement... if he lived up to expectations as a pro. So hopefully we've patched a hole there.

OL has 5 positions. I don't know if you'll ever completely NOT look at OL in the draft. Especially if you have a combination of young OL and veterans like every team does. So this one is not a fair criticism. We've been slowly chomping away at it. 4 out of the 5 positions are filled adequately. Even if we were to fill it with a young RG this year. The following year we'd be looking at Free's spot.

Same goes for DL. There will always need infusion and depth. OL and DL are Draft Day musts no matter what year you are in.

Manziel is fun to watch, but I doubt Jerry would actually draft him. No way Garrett would.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Well to be honest, we needed 2 Safeties last year, imo. FS AND SS. I didn't buy into Church being a permanent solution at SS (still don't) and I think/thought Wilcox will/would be his eventual replacement... if he lived up to expectations as a pro. So hopefully we've patched a hole there.

OL has 5 positions. I don't know if you'll ever completely NOT look at OL in the draft. Especially if you have a combination of young OL and veterans like every team does. So this one is not a fair criticism. We've been slowly chomping away at it. 4 out of the 5 positions are filled adequately. Even if we were to fill it with a young RG this year. The following year we'd be looking at Free's spot.

Same goes for DL. There will always need infusion and depth. OL and DL are Draft Day musts no matter what year you are in.

Manziel is fun to watch, but I doubt Jerry would actually draft him. No way Garrett would.
I think we would all agree that our line sucked last year, correct? So we were set at LT. RG sucked, C sucked, LG sucked, and RT sucked. We addressed the Center position in the draft and did nothing about the other 3 spots. We told Free to take a paycut or hit the bricks. NOBODY could foresee that he would play as well as he has. I think we got real lucky with Free. We addressed LG with an UFA with injury concerns. Not a great strategy IMO, but hes played good enough. RG we had no answer but paid a retired guy to come play for a year. I would say we got fortunate to get him to come play. Overall we did upgrade our line but not exactly in a way that most would say is a winning strategy. I would say we are set at LT and Center but I wouldnt count on the other 3 in the future. We need to continue to upgrade those spots IMO. As far as Manziel, if Jerry wants him he'll get him. JG might not like it but it'll happen. JG might not be here for the next draft anyway.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 10-11-2013, 05:34 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 27m
Larry Lacewell, whose recommendation had a lot to do with Jerry hiring Monte Kiffin, joins us next on 103.3 FM ESPN.

Larry Lacewell (once called Monte Kiffin Jerry's best post-Jimy hire): "I was just trying to speak up for the old folks. Maybe I was wrong."

Larry Lacewell: "I hope Monte will improve. If not, I'm sure he'll be joining his son."

Larry Lacewell on what's gone wrong for Monte Kiffin: "You name me a worse defensive line in the NFL."
Says alot. Why is JJ listening to Lacewell? Funny he blames the DL when Kiffen said they didnt need any and was a strength of the team. Its embarrassing JJ is taking advice from old retired dudes. No wonder we are average every year.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree that they should have done more to upgrade the line. I see where they were going with getting Williams, and that pick isn't so bad considering Austin's injury issues. That's why I don't really question that pick and look at the Escobar one. They're not using the 12 personnel much to justify it so far. I hope they prove me wrong since it's clear Escobar does have some really nice hands.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:01 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I agree that they should have done more to upgrade the line. I see where they were going with getting Williams, and that pick isn't so bad considering Austin's injury issues. That's why I don't really question that pick and look at the Escobar one. They're not using the 12 personnel much to justify it so far. I hope they prove me wrong since it's clear Escobar does have some really nice hands.
I agree, I dont have a problem with the players, I just question the way JJ trys to build a team. I like the guys we got later in the draft, I just thought we had/have bigger needs.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

T. Williams:Alvin Harper::Dez Bryant:Michael Irvin

And I couldn't be more excited about that, if we just get a consistent defense on this team I see Super Bowl dreams!
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I think we would all agree that our line sucked last year, correct? So we were set at LT. RG sucked, C sucked, LG sucked, and RT sucked. We addressed the Center position in the draft and did nothing about the other 3 spots. We told Free to take a paycut or hit the bricks. NOBODY could foresee that he would play as well as he has. I think we got real lucky with Free. We addressed LG with an UFA with injury concerns. Not a great strategy IMO, but hes played good enough. RG we had no answer but paid a retired guy to come play for a year. I would say we got fortunate to get him to come play. Overall we did upgrade our line but not exactly in a way that most would say is a winning strategy. I would say we are set at LT and Center but I wouldnt count on the other 3 in the future. We need to continue to upgrade those spots IMO. As far as Manziel, if Jerry wants him he'll get him. JG might not like it but it'll happen. JG might not be here for the next draft anyway.
Yes, that is correct. OL needed help in the worst way. ...and I'll be damned to mock the Cowboys considering their turnaround this year. I could give a flying *beep* where they came from if they keep playing at this high level. To criticize the process how we got there and not their play is just being whiny, imo.

You can call it "luck" with the Free situation, but the staff continued to believe in him and to me that showed "faith". Then to get him to lower his contract (which is incredibly tough to do), that deserves MAJOR props to our front office. To see him return to form was the BEST option for us, because cutting him included so much penalty cap wise.

With Leary, his story is a huge success story so far. Another UDFA hit! Helps keep our salary down and we get a guy who's been part of the upgraded play of our line.

To get Waters out of retirement and to get him to play at the level he has been has been another right move. Nobody expects him to be here past this year, but there's no doubt that he has been an upgrade.

Now to complain about it when they are playing well is just wrong. You say you wouldn't count it out as far as us spending picks on OL in the draft? Hah. That's a guarantee! OL should be included in EVERY draft. Even if we had 5 Pro Bowl starters! ....wouldn't count it out... lol that's funny.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I agree, I dont have a problem with the players, I just question the way JJ trys to build a team. I like the guys we got later in the draft, I just thought we had/have bigger needs.
That is the definition of whiny.

Come on... you sound like the spoiled bratty Cowboy fan that other teams imagine us all to be like.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Says alot. Why is JJ listening to Lacewell? Funny he blames the DL when Kiffen said they didnt need any and was a strength of the team. Its embarrassing JJ is taking advice from old retired dudes. No wonder we are average every year.
Gotta agree with you here. Lacewell needs to get out of the picture.

But you need to stop harping on the whole drafting DT idea. The DT class SUCKED for UTs. Great for NTs, but were weren't looking for those. Feel free to name the guys you like. Floyd doesn't qualify as a penetrator. He was always more of a run stuffer.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The complaining about how we acquire players is weird...to say that the front office has ignored the OL is completely false. From Berne to Arkin to Free to Leary to Smith to Waters to Frederick the Boys have invested quite a bit in OL over the year...some may have not worked out, and you can question Jerry's eye for talent, but you can't question him throwing all type of currency at the OL. At all.

The DL is a completely different story though!
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
T. Williams:Alvin Harper::Dez Bryant:Michael Irvin

And I couldn't be more excited about that, if we just get a consistent defense on this team I see Super Bowl dreams!
Love it!

...and yes, let's hope this defense improves. Come on Kiffin, give us hope!!!

Cool fact: Rob Ryan's defense with the Saints have created more Turnovers this year than Monte Kiffin's defense with the Cowboys.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. OL needed help in the worst way. ...and I'll be damned to mock the Cowboys considering their turnaround this year. I could give a flying *beep* where they came from if they keep playing at this high level. To criticize the process how we got there and not their play is just being whiny, imo.

You can call it "luck" with the Free situation, but the staff continued to believe in him and to me that showed "faith". Then to get him to lower his contract (which is incredibly tough to do), that deserves MAJOR props to our front office. To see him return to form was the BEST option for us, because cutting him included so much penalty cap wise.

With Leary, his story is a huge success story so far. Another UDFA hit! Helps keep our salary down and we get a guy who's been part of the upgraded play of our line.

To get Waters out of retirement and to get him to play at the level he has been has been another right move. Nobody expects him to be here past this year, but there's no doubt that he has been an upgrade.

Now to complain about it when they are playing well is just wrong. You say you wouldn't count it out as far as us spending picks on OL in the draft? Hah. That's a guarantee! OL should be included in EVERY draft. Even if we had 5 Pro Bowl starters! ....wouldn't count it out... lol that's funny.
Huh?

All Im saying is that in my opinion, with our line being so bad last year we didnt attack the problems through the draft or free agency the way I would have liked. Your right, at this time it doesnt matter much how we got who we got as long as we are playing well. I guess its a matter of opinion on how well they are playing. Seems like they played good against Denver and the Rams, not so good against SD and KC. Washington's D sucks so we should have a lot of success this week too I would think.

As far as the staff having faith in Free, thats a joke! You dont show faith in a guy by telling him to take a pay cut or seek employment elsewhere. Thats a REAL stretch D.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
The complaining about how we acquire players is weird...to say that the front office has ignored the OL is completely false. From Berne to Arkin to Free to Leary to Smith to Waters to Frederick the Boys have invested quite a bit in OL over the year...some may have not worked out, and you can question Jerry's eye for talent, but you can't question him throwing all type of currency at the OL. At all.

Yeah, ignoring OL at this point is just a silly argument.

The DL's problem has been and will continue to be plagued by one person.

JAY FRIGGIN' RATLIFF

He's the reason we never ever properly addressed our NT position in the 3-4 and he's the reason why we couldn't afford to add more to our DL in FA and he's the reason why we Kiffin felt like we had enough. On paper we were ok and people were excited about seeing him in a 4-3. His latest injury wasn't supposed to be.

To a lesser degree, we were hoping for Crawford to help us this year too, but Ratliff needs to get his act together. Next week is the first week he can get off PUP. Doubt he's ready. Jerk.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:23 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
That is the definition of whiny.

Come on... you sound like the spoiled bratty Cowboy fan that other teams imagine us all to be like.
Really? Its whiny to question a GM that has 1 playoff win in the last 18 years? 6-10, 8-8, 8-8, 2-3. No need to question that kind of team building huh?

Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Really? Its whiny to question a GM that has 1 playoff win in the last 18 years? 6-10, 8-8, 8-8, 2-3. No need to question that kind of team building huh?
When you like the players? Yeah, that's Whiny with a capital W.

Boohoo hooo... you have a team that has only won 5 SBs... wwwaaaaaa...

If you can't stand by your team through thick and thin then just be frontrunner and post in the Broncos forum (for now until they suck again).
Old 10-11-2013, 08:34 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:

The problem is our GM makes stupid moves when he makes them. EVERYBODY on this board gave a collective when he signed MB and Livings. Sure we've spent on the O-line but when 90% turns out to be trash, who cares?

Did anybody think Free was going to be this good after last year? No. Did anybody know if Leary would start? Not based on last year. Did anybody know we'd be talking a G out of retirement and know that he could still play? I'd say probably not. Just saying.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:42 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
When you like the players? Yeah, that's Whiny with a capital W.

Boohoo hooo... you have a team that has only won 5 SBs... wwwaaaaaa...

If you can't stand by your team through thick and thin then just be frontrunner and post in the Broncos forum (for now until they suck again).
LOL Im a diehard fan. I root for them every time they play and Im sure for a lot longer than you have. If they have a star on their helmet Im rooting for them regardless. To say I cant have an opinion on the way JJ runs the team is a stupid comment. If nobody was alowed to have an opinion (even if its different from yours or you dont agree with) would there even be a message board? Its funny how you keep harping on Rob Ryan and how Romo cant win unless everything is perfect and your dislikes and its A OK but when I question JJ you get your panties in a wad.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yeah, ignoring OL at this point is just a silly argument.

The DL's problem has been and will continue to be plagued by one person.

JAY FRIGGIN' RATLIFF

He's the reason we never ever properly addressed our NT position in the 3-4 and he's the reason why we couldn't afford to add more to our DL in FA and he's the reason why we Kiffin felt like we had enough. On paper we were ok and people were excited about seeing him in a 4-3. His latest injury wasn't supposed to be.

To a lesser degree, we were hoping for Crawford to help us this year too, but Ratliff needs to get his act together. Next week is the first week he can get off PUP. Doubt he's ready. Jerk.
Same Ratliff that played all of 4 games last year and seen his sacks go down 4 years in a row? Sounds like a guy we should be counting on.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
LOL Im a diehard fan. I root for them every time they play and Im sure for a lot longer than you have. If they have a star on their helmet Im rooting for them regardless. To say I cant have an opinion on the way JJ runs the team is a stupid comment. If nobody was alowed to have an opinion (even if its different from yours or you dont agree with) would there even be a message board? Its funny how you keep harping on Rob Ryan and how Romo cant win unless everything is perfect and your dislikes and its A OK but when I question JJ you get your panties in a wad.
I know you're a diehard fan. Carry on. Seems like we have nothing better to talk about here. But hey... at least we are PASSIONATE!

I will blame JJ for one thing. The ONLY thing he does. Choosing coaches.

Everything else, has too many other fingerprints on them. ...and yeah, he did piss me off with the Kiffin hire, and I've been moaping around about that pretty wide openly.

Kinda frustrating to see people blame him for player acquisition, because I think it's pointed in the wrong direction. Why is it that I hear this about Garrett.... "I like him as a HC because he does a good job at player acquisition", yet when something isn't right, "Jerry sucks"? Good grief.

It's well known that Jerry easily gives into who the coaches and scouting department think are the best picks. ...and actually, come to think of it, there are 2 things he does... pick coaches and handle trades. Other than that, he's a side show.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Same Ratliff that played all of 4 games last year and seen his sacks go down 4 years in a row? Sounds like a guy we should be counting on.
"But he was used wrong in the 3-4zzzzzz!!!!"

Like I said... his contract grabbed us by the balls. We were helpless. FA dollars were wrapped up between him and Spencer.

Ratliff and Spencer weren't the only ones we were banking on. We also had 2012 3rd round pick in Tyrone Crawford.

Was there someone in the draft other than Floyd you wanted here? Curious to hear the name of that DT.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:20 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
"But he was used wrong in the 3-4zzzzzz!!!!"

Like I said... his contract grabbed us by the balls. We were helpless. FA dollars were wrapped up between him and Spencer.

Ratliff and Spencer weren't the only ones we were banking on. We also had 2012 3rd round pick in Tyrone Crawford.

Was there someone in the draft other than Floyd you wanted here? Curious to hear the name of that DT.
Guys that I liked that we may or may not have been able to get, Richardson, Floyd, Short, Jenkins, Lotulelei, Moore, Carradine, Jones, Hunt. Not saying all are 1st round guys but guys that would probably be starting now. Some are DE's I know. What was wrong with Worford at Guard? Hes starting for Detroit now, right?

Old 10-11-2013, 09:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
The problem is our GM makes stupid moves when he makes them. EVERYBODY on this board gave a collective when he signed MB and Livings. Sure we've spent on the O-line but when 90% turns out to be trash, who cares?

Did anybody think Free was going to be this good after last year? No. Did anybody know if Leary would start? Not based on last year. Did anybody know we'd be talking a G out of retirement and know that he could still play? I'd say probably not. Just saying.
I see what you're getting at. Our GM doesn't scout players. He relies on others to help him make those decisions. Well, you're right about that. It is why we are so concerned about who he picks around him. In this case, Callahan chose Livings and Bernadeau. Didn't work because Callahan is just another coach who thinks success is based on how well he can coach up players.

I think it's fair to point fingers when things go bad like Livings and Bernadeau, but I also think it's fair to clap hands when things go good too. Like Free, Leary and Waters.

Just because we as "fans" didn't have the foresight to believe in a guy like Leary, doesn't mean the coaching staff didn't. They were high on him since Round 3! Goes to show how smart they were in making sure we were the ones who signed him and kept him around last year to development him.

Same goes with Free. We don't know him on a personal level like they did. We don't know what kind of guts he has on the inside and how hard he works or took the blame for his mistakes last year. But if we lived with him we sure as heck would've had a different opinion, just as the Boys did. Kudos to them for the way they handled him. They never alienated him in the offseason despite their displeasure. they never designated him as a June 1st cut in April. They stuck with them and their decision to do so deserves much credit.

Nobody LOVES the way we ran out of resources to address RG, but between Livings, Bernadeau, Arkin it's not hard to understand the reason for hoping at least one of them would pan out. Hoping that training camp and preseason would give them another chance to evaluate them and see a guy rise to the challenge. But it didn't work out and kudos to the Cowboys for scouring the planet to find a guy and bravo for him working out!

Give our team credit for making it happen. These are the types of moves that are necessary!