Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:22 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
what did this ***** say to make Steve do that? where is that video?
I have no idea. I've been looking for it for ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:30 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is the greatest reaction I've seen from him though:

Quote:
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:36 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
This is the greatest reaction I've seen from him though:
L-I-O-N...LOIN!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
I have no idea. I've been looking for it for ages.
Docta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:46 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

Steve Harvey reactions are a better and more productive topic than whatever JT spews out.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2013, 11:15 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Obvious troll attempt is obvious.

In reference to the best QB's since 1980 9 months ago:
Good call on the list. I changed my mind, though.

The other stuff...what's your point? I still think he's a good QB, just extremely overrated. And him putting up big numbers in NE again if he had a few non-horrid players added to the mix says nothing.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:53 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Great comeback.

Texas Tech still rolls its eyes at you, as do all NFL scouts.
Texas Tech totally proves it! College teams dominating in a particular area is totally relevant to the NFL.

I'm sure all the scouts will be rolling their eyes at me for thinking Tom Brady is better than Tony Romo, and not a product of the system he's in
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:06 AM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

So you're saying all this time you were lying about this? I-I mean, so you're saying you're a liar? You just admitted it! So were-were you lying then or are you lying now? Which lie is it?!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Always has been.

Of course, this will be seen as blasphemous, trolling, blah blah blah. I. Do not. Care.

It needs to be said.

What impresses me the most about Romo, aside from his quick release, air-tight spirals, and accuracy intermediate-to-deep, is that he is doing all of this with a complete imbecile calling the plays (Jason Garrett). He's never relied on the system. You can spread it out and he can carve you up, but he'll do it despite not being given all the outlets and bunch formations and route combinations that the likes of Brady benefit from.

I will never forget how much different the Cowboys' offense looked when he took over for Drew Bledsoe in 2006. It was night and day. All of a sudden, the ball was coming out of there with urgency, and it was a deep-to-short look.

Brady, on the other hand, was always a product of a system. I'll give him credit for having terrific pocket presence and command of said system. That's where it ends. The number of impressive throws he makes per season is embarrassingly low for a supposed "legend." The supposed "clutchness" is obviously a myth, given that the Patriots lost two Super Bowls to the Giants resulting in large part from his poor play.

Romo could easily do what Brady did/does. Stand back there and dump it off underneath out of the spread, throw screens and hitches, only with much better and safer route designs? He'd be bored out of his mind in that offense. His interception totals would fall off a cliff, given he wouldn't have to take the chances he does in the system he's in. I'm sure it's as boring to play in the New England offense as it is to watch it. It's like watching paint dry.

But Romo doesn't get to live a life of glory and boredom like that. Instead, he gets to play for a redheaded idiot, with a mediocre defense and idiots ready to jump down his throat at every turn whenever he makes a mistake. Oh well, at least he's not married to a hideous, anorexic ****.

Quote:
Excellent reading comprehension, dude. Way to go.

He didn't choose anything. Romo didn't hire Jason Garrett to scheme and call plays like it's 1991. Romo throws those higher risk passes because he has to...because the system that he's in doesn't give him easy completions all over the field on the majority of his dropbacks.

...Of course, since this is Patriot Fan Central, the land where Wes Welker is amazingggg and the Patriots are just like any other organization, only they win with GREAT PLAYERZZZZ, this thread's outcome was predictable.

Quote:
Witten's a good player but he has nowhere near the impact of, say, Randy Moss.

Prior to the 2007 season, the entire argument for Brady as an all-time great hinged on "ringzzzz." Now, Brady has 1 more ring than Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger. He also has been an utter flop in the postseason ever since the 2004 season.

So now it all comes down to Brady's system-related numbers and how they compare to what Romo has done under Idiot Redhead. I am far more impressed with Romo as a quarterback when I watch him than Brady, and that's what I think all people would think if they used their eyes and stopped getting caught up in the hype.

As is often the case, people have it completely backwards with the two of them. So many people call Romo "overrated" that he's probably the most underrated player in the NFL right now. Meanwhile, Brady has emerged as one of the game's most overrated players. A top 10 current quarterback, sure. Top 5? Maybe, I'd have to think about it. Legendary? In the GOAT discussion? Not a chance. He isn't fit to shine Drew Brees's shoes.

Quote:
Considering Matt Cassel did well enough in that system to convince the Chiefs to trade a high draft pick for him...

I already acknowledged Brady deserves credit for having a great grasp of the offense, as well as sound mechanics and excellent pocket presence. But there are and have always been better quarterbacks than him.

Quote:
I love how you actually think you're saying something meaningful, true, or something that hasn't been said thousands of times before. It's the only counter-argument anyone tries to come up with, and it's hilariously stupid.

If it's not the system, why does Texas Tech constantly put up enormous numbers in their gimmick offense, which all the scouts acknowledge is a major knock on all the productive players they field in the passing game, while other colleges never copy said system?

Or how about Houston (college)?

There's a reason Kliff Kingsbury was a 6th round pick. There's a reason Tim Rattay was a 7th round pick.

Funny how it's coaches like Belichick, Mike McCarthy, and Sean Payton who always have the top passing games, not Greg Roman, John Shoop, and Bob Bratkowski.

Quote:

The other stuff...what's your point? I still think he's a good QB, just extremely overrated. And him putting up big numbers in NE again if he had a few non-horrid players added to the mix says nothing.
This is a compilation of just about every post you made in this retawded thread.

First you begin by saying Tony Romo is better than Tom Brady; "always has been". Someone recalled a Top 5 list you created of the best QBs since 1980. You had Brady plugged in there at #3 with Tony Romo nowhere to be found on that list. "Always has been?" It's funny that you "changed [your] mind" about Tom Brady and Tony Romo the same week when Romo gets the most criticism for a late game-losing INT.

In between all that your attempts at defending this thread are... Irrelevant college programs, race based remarks regarding Jason Garrett (thankfully you weren't talking about a black coaches hair) and that Tom Brady stinks in the postseason.

You're a ******* joke. This is an overpopulated world. Please, do something to help the cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 10-14-2013 at 08:31 AM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually agree with the OP. Tom Brady is the most overrated piece of **** the NFL has ever seen. The Pats should just trade him to the Giants for Eli Manning then everyone wins. The Giants get rid of Eli which clearly everyone wants, the Pats get a proven Superbowl winner and Tony Romo gets the chance twice a year to prove you right!!!

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 AM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brady is so worthless we Giovanni Carmazzi'd our pick...
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:13 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
I am watching the Baltimore-GB game, and Terrell Suggs just looked like he went low near Aaron Rodgers' knees. If that was Tom Brady, that would have been a 15-yard penalty.
Shoot Jason Babin went low on Peyton after a throw and it wasn't called either. I guess it really does only apply to Brady.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:10 PM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabscuttle View Post
Brady is so worthless we Giovanni Carmazzi'd our pick...
Let's go back to 2000.

That year, San Fran drafted Gio in Round 3, and Tim Rattay (the QB Belichick wanted. QB coach Dick Rehbein talked him into Brady) in the seventh.

Let's say they take Brady instead of Gio.

From 2000-02, they ran the West Coast Offense, and they had Jeff Garcia as QB, who fit that scheme better than Tom does.

In those years, Jeff never missed a game, made three straight Pro Bowls, threw 84 TD passes, and only had 32 INT's.

I can see Brady working himself up to second string those years, but no further.

In 2003, Dennis Erickson came on the scene, replacing Mariucci, and with him, came the spread offense that would be better for a QB like Brady.

However, they still had Garcia, and he played most of that year, with Tim Rattay starting three games that Brady would have been starting if he was there.

In 2004, Garcia was gone, so Brady would have began the year at #1.

However, so was TO.

Now, that year, the weapons Tom would have had would still have been decent. TE Eric Johnson had 82 catches, and he had a young Brandon Lloyd (46 catches in 13 starts), Cedrick Wilson (47 catches in 15 starts), and the vet Curtis Conway (38 catches in five starts).

There wasn't much of a running game, though, and the offensive line, with LT Kwame Harris, LG Kyle Kosier, C Eric Heitmann, RG Justin Smiley, and RT Scott Gragg wasn't as good as the lines Tom has had in New England.

Also, SF didn't have the defenses that the Patriots had, and they didn't have Belichick. The 04 49ers were 2-14, and the 05 49ers were 4-12. So, while Tom may have made them a little better, I don't see him making that much difference, and his legacy would have been totally different.
7DnBrnc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Texas Tech totally proves it! College teams dominating in a particular area is totally relevant to the NFL.

I'm sure all the scouts will be rolling their eyes at me for thinking Tom Brady is better than Tony Romo, and not a product of the system he's in
It completely demolishes your argument about products of a system. If it's all about the QB and can never just be the scheme, how do you explain Texas Tech?

I'm still waiting.

And you have no idea what the scouting community thinks. I do. I've made a point of acquiring literature featuring comments from actual NFL scouts. Brady isn't nearly as well-regarded in scouting circles as he is in the media.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:38 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post

So you're saying all this time you were lying about this? I-I mean, so you're saying you're a liar? You just admitted it! So were-were you lying then or are you lying now? Which lie is it?!
I said I changed my mind. Not that I lied. That was my opinion then. It's not my opinion anymore.

I was thinking about modern quarterbacks and how to rank them more a few nights ago and realized that I needed to better acknowledge Brady's benefit from the system, and how this season has revealed how limited he is with regards to needing security blankets, outlets, and players to make sight adjustments because he doesn't have the passing talent to make many tight throws.

A large part of my high ranking for him was also based on him being the least mistake-prone of all the quarterbacks today, but I've always wondered whether that would hold true for him outside the scheme. Seeing what I've seen from him this year, I'm convinced it would not.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It completely demolishes your argument about products of a system. If it's all about the QB and can never just be the scheme, how do you explain Texas Tech?

I'm still waiting.

And you have no idea what the scouting community thinks. I do. I've made a point of acquiring literature featuring comments from actual NFL scouts. Brady isn't nearly as well-regarded in scouting circles as he is in the media.
I know a scout. Only 1, but he's still a scout. You know 0. If I sent him a question regarding Brady and Romo, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get a serious response back.

Oh, and I don't have to explain Texas Tech, just like I don't have to explain how running 97% of the time works for high school teams. It's not relevant to an NFL discussion.

Last edited by Saints-Tigers : 10-14-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:46 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
This is a compilation of just about every post you made in this retawded thread.

First you begin by saying Tony Romo is better than Tom Brady; "always has been". Someone recalled a Top 5 list you created of the best QBs since 1980. You had Brady plugged in there at #3 with Tony Romo nowhere to be found on that list. "Always has been?" It's funny that you "changed [your] mind" about Tom Brady and Tony Romo the same week when Romo gets the most criticism for a late game-losing INT.
I changed my mind because the season in general has established certain things about Brady, and clarified some things in my mind about Romo.

Brady, without the tight end security blankets and consistent sight adjustments from the receivers, has been forced to make more difficult throws, and by and large, he has failed. Throws that a Drew Brees or a Tony Romo would make have consistently been off-target. While other people are pointing the finger at the receivers, I'm noticing the off-target throws and blaming the guy whom many regard as arguably the greatest to ever play the position for not making said throws.

Quote:
In between all that your attempts at defending this thread are... Irrelevant college programs,
If you don't see how a reference to a football program that has produced enormous passing production with a revolving door of non-NFL caliber QBs for years on end is relevant in a discussion about systems and quarterbacks, there is no hope for you.

Quote:
race based remarks regarding Jason Garrett (thankfully you weren't talking about a black coaches hair)
Oh, lord. Kill yourself. Now.

Quote:
and that Tom Brady stinks in the postseason.
I'd love to see where I said that. Typical, though. I'm much too intelligent for peons like you to actually argue with, so you're stuck knocking down straw men.

Quote:
You're a ******* joke. This is an overpopulated world. Please, do something to help the cause.
Hate to break it to you, but you're a complete dolt.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Tom Brady can play in any system. He can make all the throws and he is the premier quarterback in the league mechanically.
Trollin' so hard

Old 10-14-2013, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

This thread is so awesome.

JordanTaber would be an awesome GM, trading away Tom Brady, Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson before the rest of the world figures out they are so over rated... but the scouting community is on to it, so he might not be able to find any trade partners :(
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
I know a scout. 1, but he's still a scout. You know 0. If I sent him a question regarding Brady and Romo, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get a serious response back.

Oh, and I don't have to explain Texas Tech, just like I don't have to explain how running 97% of the time works for high school teams. It's not relevant to an NFL discussion.
Try it. Post the response here so we can see what it is. You see, a pro scout isn't going to ascribe media hype to a player's "intangibles." He will be more focused on who is better mechanically and as far as throwing the football. Romo has the better release and the better passing talent. He won't be going, "lulz, Romoceptionzzz. Brady has ringzzz."

And yes, you do, because you made the argument, "if it were so easy, everyone would be doing it."

Why isn't everyone doing what Texas Tech does? If that's the point you're making - that putting up huge passing numbers is a QB thing, not a system thing - why does Texas Tech constantly churn out the huge passing games, while every other college in the nation doesn't copy them?

You apparently think coaches are a product of their quarterbacks, and every coach can do the same thing as every other. Bill Walsh, Rich Kotite...what's the difference, right?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:58 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
This thread is so awesome.

JordanTaber would be an awesome GM, trading away Tom Brady, Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson before the rest of the world figures out they are so over rated... but the scouting community is on to it, so he might not be able to find any trade partners :(
When did I say anything bad about Calvin Johnson? I rate Julio Jones ahead of him in ability, in large part because I feel Johnson has somewhat of an unfair advantage with his enormous frame and relies on it to make most of his plays. I also enjoy watching Jones play far more. He's that double threat receiver - if the corner is playing off, he can catch the quick hitch and take it the distance with his ability after the catch. If the corner is pressing him, he can run right by him. There's no real way to play him.

But that doesn't mean I don't acknowledge Johnson's dominance as a receiver. I just find him to be like the NBA center who dominates at 7'2," but is less skilled than the guy who is 6'10."

Don't blame me for your having difficulty comprehending my posts. You should have paid more attention in school.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:13 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why would you discount size when rating a WR? Why is ability a separate, arbitrary sub-section? This distinction is literally useless outside of random forum threads. Production and impact on the field are really the only important characteristics, making Calvin v. Julio a laughable question. feeding the trolls, who even knows why, bout to leave work.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Try it. Post the response here so we can see what it is. You see, a pro scout isn't going to ascribe media hype to a player's "intangibles." He will be more focused on who is better mechanically and as far as throwing the football. Romo has the better release and the better passing talent. He won't be going, "lulz, Romoceptionzzz. Brady has ringzzz."

And yes, you do, because you made the argument, "if it were so easy, everyone would be doing it."

Why isn't everyone doing what Texas Tech does? If that's the point you're making - that putting up huge passing numbers is a QB thing, not a system thing - why does Texas Tech constantly churn out the huge passing games, while every other college in the nation doesn't copy them?

You apparently think coaches are a product of their quarterbacks, and every coach can do the same thing as every other. Bill Walsh, Rich Kotite...what's the difference, right?
Lol, alright, I sure will.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:23 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
why would you discount size when rating a WR? Why is ability a separate, arbitrary sub-section? This distinction is literally useless outside of random forum threads. Production and impact on the field are really the only important characteristics, making Calvin v. Julio a laughable question. feeding the trolls, who even knows why, bout to leave work.
I didn't discount it. I did exactly the opposite - I acknowledged its role in Johnson's performance. But when you're talking about who the best "receiver" is, there are two ways to look at it. Who is the most effective receiver, and who is the most skilled receiver. Being 6'5" isn't a skill.

Even if we throw it out, it's in no way "laughable." The Lions threw the ball 740 times last year, with no real complimentary receivers in the equation to take many targets away from Johnson. Who knows what Jones would do in a situation like that. 740 passing attempts and being the focal point of an offense like you wouldn't believe?