Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also Joyce didn't make the call off of the leg movement, but off of the fact that Middlebrooks was on the ground. So there was nothing Middlebrooks could have done, Joyce just saw Craig falling over Middlebrooks and made the call.

via FanGraphs

Quote:
The rule, as written, is problematic. Will Middlebrooks simply had no way to not interfere, given that definition of interference, so once he dove to try and catch Saltalamacchia’s errant throw, his fate was sealed.

The leg kick issue seems to be a sideshow. Craig’s path to home plate included running directly through Middlebrooks, and had Middlebrooks laid perfectly still, Craig still seemingly would have tripped. The leg kick doesn’t appear to be the cause of the trip, to me, but instead, the fact that Middlebrooks body was laying in the path Craig chose to run.

Craig’s path took him to the very edge of the defined baseline. His feet actually touch the grass, and I think one could make a reasonable case that he was attempting to run in an area that is not generally considered to be the domain of the runner.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:25 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Meh... Sometimes I'm jealous of other fanbases that aren't constantly in championships, really - and I know I'm not the only one. "Getting there" is no longer rewarding - it's just more stressful, and not fun at all. I was pretty happy to not have to deal with baseball last fall. Being in championships every year is not all it's cracked up to be. You simply would not understand.

I'd still rather take that over NOT seeing my team winning. You may get more frustrated with playoff losses or maybe won't be as excited about just getting to the playoffs, etc but you can at least take comfort in knowing that YOU got to experience your favorite teams winning it all....and multiple times at that. So many people are just begging to see their team win just ONCE in their lifetime

Boston fans have been incredibly spoiled over the past 10-12 years, so it's hard to really feel sorry for you guys when your team loses
Old 10-27-2013, 12:26 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
Also Joyce didn't make the call off of the leg movement, but off of the fact that Middlebrooks was on the ground. So there was nothing Middlebrooks could have done, Joyce just saw Craig falling over Middlebrooks and made the call.

via FanGraphs

so because Joyce probably never saw the illegal part it clearly never actually happened.

Makes sense.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Hahah wow.

Go ask a physicist what is the easiest way to get up while lying on your stomach. I'm sure he'll agree with you. Bye.
If you bring your legs toward you body, like Middlebrooks was doing, then put your hands beside you to push up, and slide up on your knees, it's a much quicker fluid motion that if your body was flat on the ground and you tried to get up like your doing a push up. Either way, the leg movement has nothing to do with this, Joyce didn't make the call based of the leg movement.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Quote:
so because Joyce probably never saw the illegal part it clearly never actually happened.

Makes sense.
The leg kick isn't the issue, he trips either way because he decided to run in his direction.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:32 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The most unforgiving, absolutely inexcusable thing about that play was...

Kozma was left on deck.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:35 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Meh... Sometimes I'm jealous of other fanbases that aren't constantly in championships, really - and I know I'm not the only one. "Getting there" is no longer rewarding - it's just more stressful, and not fun at all. I was pretty happy to not have to deal with baseball last fall. Being in championships every year is not all it's cracked up to be. You simply would not understand.
I wouldn't agree with that at all. I absolutely appreciate all the success we have and wouldn't trade it for the world. We should be able to appreciate that, even. We're lucky. My grandfather was a season ticket holder for a Patriots franchise that couldn't afford reasonable facilities and watched the Red Sox ownership do everything in their power to prevent the teams from being competitive on the side. With the exception of the maybe Celtics, we've dealt with a lot hardship. That's a major part of our sports culture. It's frustrating getting so close and losing, but we should appreciate where we've come from.

...not going to lie though, it does piss me off how hard we get the opposition fan ********. I come to sports forums so I don't have to deal with douchebag morons(the have more than our fair share of them in the area, completely own up to that. I think you guys would find that success brings them out of the woodwork no matter where you are though). I've just never been interested in that crap. We lost a baseball game on a ******** throw by Salty. I'm pretty pissed about it. It's super cool totally awesome humor to make people feel bad about it and then prod at a weak spot for the area with jokes about people who tried to kill your family. It's a small city.

...and yeah, we've got front runner douchebags in the area. Doesn't make it any less dumb when you act like a ****.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 10-27-2013 at 12:37 AM.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:38 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If you bring your legs toward you body, like Middlebrooks was doing, then put your hands beside you to push up, and slide up on your knees, it's a much quicker fluid motion that if your body was flat on the ground and you tried to get up like your doing a push up. Either way, the leg movement has nothing to do with this, Joyce didn't make the call based of the leg movement.
Quote:
The leg kick isn't the issue, he trips either way because he decided to run in his direction.

This cannot be real life.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:38 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Which bad call by Jim Joyce was worse: tonight's obstruction call or the call to rob Galaraga of the perfect game?

A twitter poll question......really?

I think 80% of the things I have read tonight said Joyce was right tonight. Or if they thought he was wrong, it was cuz the rule is poorly written and unclear. So is that a real question?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joyce helped Armando's life far more by getting his call wrong than getting it right. And again, a baserunner getting hit by the ball while running to the next bag is considered an out, HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:45 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Joyce helped Armando's life far more by getting his call wrong than getting it right. And again, a baserunner getting hit by the ball while running to the next bag is considered an out, HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT?

It's not even grey area. Middlebrooks lifts both his legs straight up. Didn't look to me like he was trying to get out of the way at all. First time through, it looks like he may have been trying to gather himself and get out of the way...but that's not the motion you make to do that after watching it a few times.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-27-2013, 12:46 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well this should be interesting if this gets to a 7th game since Peavy will pitch more than likely.....

Peavy said, “Sure. He (DeMuth) has already proven that he can not see things correctly in Game 1. (He missed) a pretty obvious (call) 4 feet in front of him. It would have been nice to have a meeting of the minds.

"You could kind of tell when he (DeMuth) was pointing to third what he was calling. I hope he rests well tonight in his hotel room knowing what he did. That is a joke, an absolute joke. I’m sorry. Go to talk to him and ask him if he feels good and right about his call to end a World Series game on a diving play... it’s just beyond me."
Old 10-27-2013, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still don't see the need to argue it so much, I thought it was pretty clear from the second it happened and I yelled audibly that it was interference as it happened. Also, I despise the Sox and enjoy seeing them lose, but I don't care to see you upset EE.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:48 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Peavy should shut his mouth and try to focus on not throwing high 80's meatballs across the middle of the plate. He's very lucky his line looks the way it does.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-27-2013, 12:49 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
I still don't see the need to argue it so much, I thought it was pretty clear from the second it happened and I yelled audibly that it was interference as it happened. Also, I despise the Sox and enjoy seeing them lose, but I don't care to see you upset EE.

It's just as I said before. Some people think for completely ******** reasons that games should be called different if they're meaningful.

The rules don't change if it's Game 3 of the World Series or if it's a July 7th game between the Royals and Astros. It's the way it is. If you don't like it don't break the rules.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:50 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

Quote:
I yelled it too, but I was wearing a Cardinals jersey, so I wasn't a very objective viewer.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:51 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
Well this should be interesting if this gets to a 7th game since Peavy will pitch more than likely.....

Peavy said, ďSure. He (DeMuth) has already proven that he can not see things correctly in Game 1. (He missed) a pretty obvious (call) 4 feet in front of him. It would have been nice to have a meeting of the minds.

"You could kind of tell when he (DeMuth) was pointing to third what he was calling. I hope he rests well tonight in his hotel room knowing what he did. That is a joke, an absolute joke. Iím sorry. Go to talk to him and ask him if he feels good and right about his call to end a World Series game on a diving play... itís just beyond me."
Gotta love Peavy casting stones when he pitched like crap tonight and was veeeery fortunate to have only given up just 2 runs through his 4 IP.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:57 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peavy is a very passionate player. Times like this is when that doesn't work in his favor as he clearly needs to shut his mouth.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:59 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I don't blame him for being juiced up. That's who he is.

There's a very fine line between being that guy and being an arrogant prick. The reporter probably got him at a bad time, but your job is to pitch. Major League Baseball employs people to enforce the rules and review umpires. Let them handle that. Cussing the umpiring crew out in the media isn't going to get you any more calls.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 10-27-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:01 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

And yeah, Peavy is a good guy it seems like. He was very classy when that umpire passed away a couple weeks ago. Its heat of the moment, Wainwright said some things after his loss in the NLCS I think in the heat of the moment after a tough loss. I just said it will be interesting since sometimes it seems refs/umps remember these things and react in a not so professional matter like squeezing the strike zones and stuff.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:04 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
Peavy is a very passionate player. Times like this is when that doesn't work in his favor as he clearly needs to shut his mouth.

Speaking of that, was laughing at McCarver's "brilliant" analysis when he said the Sox should be CONCERNED with Peavy because he's not looking FIRED UP on the mound or yelling enough

So glad McCarver is gone after this year
Old 10-27-2013, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Quote:
This cannot be real life.
It's not.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:34 AM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I guess his legs have a mind of their own that magically find opposing players feet then. That's the safest bet here I suppose.

when I wake up in the morning I too violently kick my feet in an upward motion because that's the only way to propel myself out of a lying position.
Don't forget about rolling over on your stomach and THEN kicking your feet in the air backwards. It's like the reverse jackie chan get up move. Instead of propelling yourself forwards, you propel yourself backwards and do a backflip to get up.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:12 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not sure if this is serious? I'm happy every year any of my teams makes the playoffs. I'm just happy if my college team can go to a bowl game. This whole statement comes of really poor if you seriously believe this.

The Red Sox got a bit ****** by a lame rule but it is the right call. The series isn't over so hopefully they can fight through it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:01 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
And imagine going an entire lifetime without seeing a championship run like the fans in Cleveland. Yeah, it sucks when your team loses in the final round but you've got like 8 combined championships in the big four over the last decade. At least you can take solace in that.
So? When the feeling of winning brings relief instead of joy, it's not as fun anymore. It's a completely different experience, and it's not all it's cracked up to be.

I can't wait for the Celtics to be mediocre/suck this year. I'll probably watch more Celtics than anything else.