Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
If by you don't know where to start means literally, you could just go to a Charles Schwab and open up a brokerage account.

As for how the IPO goes the general thinking is you get the initial spike then at some point there is a pullback and that is a good time to jump in. No guarantee of that though. I talked to my guy this morning and we agreed to buy at 35.
How much of the price move is hype and how much is true value of the company? Example would be Facebook vs. Noodles & Co. which both IPO'd recently. Facebook fell flat after a few days because people didn't agree with the valuation. Noodles and Co went ballistic and actually is staying near the peak price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
How many did you buy?
Waiting for it to drop to 35 and will probably buy 250 shares, same as I did with Facebook. My wife says as soon as I buy that'll be the kiss of death for that stock.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Waiting for it to drop to 35 and will probably buy 250 shares, same as I did with Facebook. My wife says as soon as I buy that'll be the kiss of death for that stock.
What did you buy Facebook at and what is it now?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:00 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree that $30,000 is far too much to have in savings. If you have a secure income, you are just wasting money by not getting interest. It's not like you can't get the money out if a true emergency happens, you just run the risk of losing some of the principle.

I have about one paycheck in my checking account, no savings account, everything else invested. As I have stated in the past though, I probably wouldn't recommend that following my actions, but it gives you a comparison point.

Also depends how steady your expenses are. I control my expenses very well and they are very predictable.

Last edited by dolphinfan2k5 : 11-08-2013 at 06:02 PM.
dolphinfan2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:03 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As far as Twitter goes, I think it's an interesting stock but the valuation is crazy right now. Jim Cramer has recommended not buying at a market cap of above $20b, I think I will stick to that if I decide I want some.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What did you buy Facebook at and what is it now?
Bought it at around 38 when it opened and rode it down and back up to where it is now, around 48. I'll hold it for 2 or 3 years so fluctuations don't bother me.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:47 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm starting a Roth IRA next month. Nothing huge, just a few thousand to start out and then maybe automatics contributions of $100 a paycheck. What's a good website to research different brokerage options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nobody who posts on this website should be buying Twitter stock as an IPO.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
just curious why not?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:43 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

Quote:
just curious why not?
Seconded. I agree that's it is probably too high to buy, but that doesn't seem like the point you are trying to make.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Stocks almost always fall after their IPO, it's silly to buy anything then
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

studies have shown that stock symbols that are pronounceable in english such as WUBA, OCIP, and LEAF outperform their more complex counterparts like BRX and SRLP. post-IPO, the pronounceable stocks outperformed. interesting read on psychology and currency.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...edium=facebook
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:34 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
Stocks almost always fall after their IPO, it's silly to buy anything then
I have noticed a mix with IPO's. They either do really well or really bad on the first day.

I may consider Ebay just from everyone going out and buying a PS4 and Xbox One to try and sell. Ebay takes 10% of the cut, which is a nice $52 a listing so far for the PS4.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:01 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone make any good stock picks lately?
Old 04-13-2014, 07:18 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
My boss is a CFP and I am in the process of becoming one myself.

His recent big move was into the JMLP ipo.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IPO's are terrible now with algorithms.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:50 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
I'm up about 15% since I bought CAT a few months ago. Overall I'm trying to play it a little more conservative lately since I'll (hopefully) be taking out a fair amount to put towards a down payment on a house soon
Old 04-15-2014, 07:26 PM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm heavy on biotech's, and they've been ******** the bed lately. Still up 94% on the year, though.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Bought some Tesla and some Amazon. Both down about 20% in the last few months.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gimme an idea of the kind of money you guys put into it and the kind of money you're getting out of it.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:30 PM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Gimme an idea of the kind of money you guys put into it and the kind of money you're getting out of it.
As of right now, $7000 is my total investment from just about 1 year ago, give or take 30 days.

Total return is 100% as of today. Before this shitstorm of a month I was up 160%. Pharmaceutical companies will shrink your balls on a regular basis.

INO (+300%)
KERX (+106%)
ONCS (+32%)
GALE (piece of **** was up 200%+ now it's down 11%)

Got a few losers as well, of course. But luckily it was just a few hundred, if that, on each one.

VICL
ACTC (just threw my last $100 at it because **** it)
AEZS
Old 04-16-2014, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
I usually like to buy x amount of shares so the dollar amount can vary. Somewhere between 6-8k.

Everyone made money last year. The disclaimer will also tell you past performance is not guarantee of future results. In the long run the stock market is the place to invest but you need to be able to sleep at night when they're down.

Last edited by Babylon : 04-17-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I usually like to be x amount of shares so the dollar amount can vary. Somewhere between 6-8k.

Everyone made money last year. The disclaimer will also tell you past performance is not guarantee of future results. In the long run the stock market is the place to invest but you need to be able to sleep at night when they're down.
There has never been a 10 year span where the market has gone down in its existence.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
There has never been a 10 year span where the market has gone down in its existence.
Probably depends on what dates you're looking at. When the market was in the toilet in 2009 it was significantly lower than it was in 1999. Having said that you can't touch stocks for being the best place to make money over the long haul.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:56 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

I have lost out on a lot of profits by not being in the market the last few months. All the signs have led to, what I believed, as a big drop in the market yet it still goes up.