Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 06:09 AM    (permalink
greatbapsy
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4
Reputation: 0
greatbapsy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
The biggest reasons guys don't jump from high school to the pros is because they aren't physically ready or mature enough. College let's their bodies grow, physically trains them and weeds out a lot of immature talent kids. From a football skills point of view being on an NFL team develops you way faster than a college ever could. Being on an NFL team would vastly improve a player over a college team, but the NFL only has so much roster space and time to develop guys.
The "not physically and mentally ready" argument is fallacious. Many players in college are bigger and faster than some NFL players. With NFL coaching and conditioning, this could be even more pronounced on an individual basis. Every team has a weaker and smaller player playing on the field compared the average college athlete so the blanket assertion that everyone is not "physically ready" is wrong. The NFL is full of body diversity. Some bodies will never be ready and some have been ready from high school. The same is true of senior prospects coming out. The only substantive difference between JPP now and JPP when he came out of high school is weight. JPP weighs more now but he didn't grow. The notion his "body" truly changed is fallacious. If doctors examined JPP now and back in high school, they wouldn't detect a difference. His body is basically the same and he was bigger and stronger than a significant number of NFL players from high school.

The "not mentally" ready argument is similarly fallacious. Hockey players come out of high school and succeed on the basis of their ability and personality. Some succeed; some fail. The same is true of football players coming out of college. Personality traits are stable from childhood to adulthood, let alone from 18 to 21, so it's not like players change much regardless of circumstances. Football is actually one of the few sports that a guy can come in raw like Pierre Paul and Ziggy Ansah. This doesn't happen in other sports and implies football isn't a very difficult sport to comprehend on the mental level. Many Superbowl QBs aren't genius types. They're just dudes who know how to play football. Players have maturity problems in the NFL; some do not. Players have maturity problems in the NHL; some do not. The same would be true if players were drafted out of high school. There would be successes and failures.

If teams wanted to check out a guy's maturity, they could always do more scouting or not choose to draft him. I don't see why the best scouted players can't leave early. Some people think football is a "special" sport but there's no tangible evidence which supports this notion. In all likelihood football IS NOT a special sport and abides by the same basic rules every other sport does, which means this "mental/physical not ready" argument is bunk.

A lot of players lose money and career time because they have to sit through a tedious college experience many would never have chosen in the first place. They just want to ball and get paid to ball.

Last edited by greatbapsy : 12-08-2013 at 06:31 AM.
greatbapsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 AM    (permalink
twiz
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 828
Reputation: 105224
twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbapsy View Post
The "not physically and mentally ready" argument is fallacious. Many players in college are bigger and faster than some NFL players. With NFL coaching and conditioning, this could be even more pronounced on an individual basis. Every team has a weaker and smaller player playing on the field compared the average college athlete so the blanket assertion that everyone is not "physically ready" is wrong. The NFL is full of body diversity. Some bodies will never be ready and some have been ready from high school. The same is true of senior prospects coming out. The only substantive difference between JPP now and JPP when he came out of high school is weight. JPP weighs more now but he didn't grow. The notion his "body" truly changed is fallacious. If doctors examined JPP now and back in high school, they wouldn't detect a difference. His body is basically the same and he was bigger and stronger than a significant number of NFL players from high school.

The "not mentally" ready argument is similarly fallacious. Hockey players come out of high school and succeed on the basis of their ability and personality. Some succeed; some fail. The same is true of football players coming out of college. Personality traits are stable from childhood to adulthood, let alone from 18 to 21, so it's not like players change much regardless of circumstances. Football is actually one of the few sports that a guy can come in raw like Pierre Paul and Ziggy Ansah. This doesn't happen in other sports and implies football isn't a very difficult sport to comprehend on the mental level. Many Superbowl QBs aren't genius types. They're just dudes who know how to play football. Players have maturity problems in the NFL; some do not. Players have maturity problems in the NHL; some do not. The same would be true if players were drafted out of high school. There would be successes and failures.

If teams wanted to check out a guy's maturity, they could always do more scouting or not choose to draft him. I don't see why the best scouted players can't leave early. Some people think football is a "special" sport but there's no tangible evidence which supports this notion. In all likelihood football IS NOT a special sport and abides by the same basic rules every other sport does, which means this "mental/physical not ready" argument is bunk.

A lot of players lose money and career time because they have to sit through a tedious college experience many would never have chosen in the first place. They just want to ball and get paid to ball.
I'm confused... so sports like the NBA where a player can jump straight from high school or one year in college and dominate the league aren't part of your argument because it shows other sports can do this, but you try to argue for the NHL, which almost always sees it's prospects develop in a different league for two to four years before playing because they're too small to hold up to the hits, and need to refine their technique. I mean, go look at the top rookies, you might find a 19 year old, but you'll see 23 and 24 as well. They need to develop.

Also, football is a very mental spot. You have to refine your technique at any position, know your assignment on a play, cooperate with your teammates, don't commit a penalty, know the entire play that was called, execute your role properly, then do all of that over again the very next down. Plus, there's a reason why they only play 16 games in the NFL regular season: it's hard on the body. Very few kids out of high school, if any really, are ready to be thrust into a starters' role physically. Maybe some are ready for a platoon or spell role, but that's it. It's the reason many freaks flame out.

Of course, these coaches and GM's could take players right out of high school and develop them, but why do it when the NCAA and colleges offer an easily accessible minor league system for you?
twiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:47 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 757 Virginia
Posts: 3,840
Reputation: 174088
shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

McCarron's stock will take a major hit after tonight against this Oklahoma defense. McCarron just can't do anything against the blitz.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
Newton
South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
Barely literate +5 swagger
Thief +15 swagger
Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
Big, average speed -3 swagger
Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
Total Swagger: 62
ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts
shylo3716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:33 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,804
Reputation: 497257
RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Mettenberger would be great in Arizona.
__________________

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:58 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seahawks Diaspora
Posts: 4,933
Reputation: 1586928
Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

he's more derek anderson than nick foles
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:19 AM    (permalink
IrishBrowns
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 235
Reputation: 85
IrishBrowns hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Braxton Miller is not going to be a first rounder, no matter when he comes out. 3rd-5th rounder, IMO.
IrishBrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,427
Reputation: 159834
Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

better prospect, Miller or Pryor?
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Wallaceburg, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,202
Reputation: 307331
Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
better prospect, Miller or Pryor?
I'd have to say Pryor but even he isn't a franchise type QB, just a backup at best.
__________________
And proud of it!!!
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:46 PM    (permalink
lod01
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 937
Reputation: 9944
lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
better prospect, Miller or Pryor?
Neither is worth a crap as an NFL QB. Today's NFL needs guy that can read defenses and rack up yards thru the air.
lod01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:16 PM    (permalink
The Sport Niche
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12
Reputation: 0
The Sport Niche hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Hi I'm new to the forum and would just like to give my opinion.

The top 5 QB for the draft in my opinion are

5. Brett Smith
4. Blake Bortles
3. Johnny Manziel
2. Derek Carr
1. Teddy Bridgewater
The Sport Niche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:27 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,686
Reputation: 2513451
JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

If Braxton's decision making is as bad as his read skills, he is going pro.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.