Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 12-09-2013, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
And some years there are franchise QBs available, other years (like 2012/13) there were none available. Bridgewater is good, but if you need him to be a franchise QB you'll be drafting another QB within 3 years.
Hard to say what any of these QBs will look like in 3 years but i feel pretty confidant in saying there are no Matthew Staffords, Cam Newtons or Andrew Lucks out there.

Didn't we have this same discussion last year with a lot of the same people lobbying for Geno Smith. I think Bridgewater and Bortles (my favorite) are better than Smith and Manuel but we go down this road every year.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Taking Clowney would be a waste. Everything is in place there to plug and play a young QB. If they were starting from scratch then sure, go BPA. Keenum's looked decent, but Bridgewater is an obvious upgrade in talent.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Hard to say what any of these QBs will look like in 3 years but i feel pretty confidant in saying there are no Matthew Staffords, Cam Newtons or Andrew Lucks out there.

Didn't we have this same discussion last year with a lot of the same people lobbying for Geno Smith. I think Bridgewater and Bortles (my favorite) are better than Smith and Manuel but we go down this road every year.
Hard to wait for next year, but with the possibility of having Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, and Brett Hundley (if he sees continued improvement, I will give the benefit of the doubt to him but he may have plateaued) there would be 3 QBs better than anyone available this year.
MassNole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
Taking Clowney would be a waste. Everything is in place there to plug and play a young QB. If they were starting from scratch then sure, go BPA. Keenum's looked decent, but Bridgewater is an obvious upgrade in talent.
Not sure if you're saying everything is in place to win next year with a new QB because if that's the case you go out and get a Jay Cutler or a Ben Roethlisberger.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not sure if you're saying everything is in place to win next year with a new QB because if that's the case you go out and get a Jay Cutler or a Ben Roethlisberger.
The pieces are definitely there which would make it that much easier for Houston to focus on defense, sign a veteran QB to lead an insanely talented offense (who would also be more likely to pick up a new system vs. a rookie's learning curve) and take someone like Mettenberger in the 2nd or 3rd Round to develop for 2-3 years.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:32 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hundley is not near as good as Teddy, and I am starting to question if Mariota is either. I love Marcus as a prospect, but he has raised some question marks about what he can do if he doesn't have all day to throw.

I think Teddy is as good or better of a prospect as Matt Ryan was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Camp Arm
Rookie

Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
Hard to wait for next year, but with the possibility of having Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, and Brett Hundley (if he sees continued improvement, I will give the benefit of the doubt to him but he may have plateaued) there would be 3 QBs better than anyone available this year.
Bridgewater is better than both Hundley and Mariota no doubt in my mind about that and waiting until next year never works as you have no idea where you will be picking and how the pre reason ranked QB's end up.

2010 Jevean Sneed was looked as a potential first overall pick

In 2011 it was Locker the next big thing who people said would have challenged bradford for the top pick in 2010.

Last year it was Tyler Bray, Barkley and Tyler Wilson going into the season all as slam dunk top 10/15 picks and what happened to them.

You never gamble on next year, if you believe somebody can be a NFL QB don't mess around. You take him and hope for the best.
Camp Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Camp Arm
Rookie

Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Cutler has not completed a season in 4 years and the jury is still out on him and he has played 8 NFL seasons.

Plus the only way you get Big Ben is trading Multiple first rounders, he still has 2 years on his contract.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Camp Arm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
People say this every year. They pretend they have a crystal ball that tells them there's no franchise QB in a draft and that a team that needs a QB should wait to get a lesser QB prospect in the second or third round. Most franchise QBs come from the first round. Teams are better off getting the best QB prospect they can get in the first and getting other positions in the following rounds. There will be some good DEs available in the second and third round.

It is typical QB fear.

Every year you hear the same, they don't want to take a QB in the first round but are in love with some project in the later rounds.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:06 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm saying the situation is such that you aren't worried about throwing a young QB in there and learning on the fly. There are decent options in the passing game and most importantly, the OL is solid. I'd rather have Big Ben or Cutler if I knew I had a shaky OL and need a QB to hide it. But I don't see Big Ben coming available and Cutler isn't worth his sticker price. I think it's a perfect situation for them to draft a young QB. If Keenum can look good in that offense, Bridgewater can certainly reach his pro bowl potential.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
I'm saying the situation is such that you aren't worried about throwing a young QB in there and learning on the fly. There are decent options in the passing game and most importantly, the OL is solid. I'd rather have Big Ben or Cutler if I knew I had a shaky OL and need a QB to hide it. But I don't see Big Ben coming available and Cutler isn't worth his sticker price. I think it's a perfect situation for them to draft a young QB. If Keenum can look good in that offense, Bridgewater can certainly reach his pro bowl potential.
Without beating the subject to death let me just say i think you have a very inflated opinion of that roster in Houston.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Hundley is not near as good as Teddy, and I am starting to question if Mariota is either. I love Marcus as a prospect, but he has raised some question marks about what he can do if he doesn't have all day to throw.

I think Teddy is as good or better of a prospect as Matt Ryan was.
I agree. I don't think Teddy is super elite but he is better than these 2 and easily on par with Ryan. A lot of hindsight going on. Cam Newton was not an easy slam dunk at #1. It worked out that way but he want even that far from Bradford as a prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
lod01
Veteran

lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
I'm not going to read through this thread, but has anyone said Derek Carr? Because that would be ******* amazing.
Beat me to it.

Favorite David Carr highlight: Gus Johnson announcing Texans game with Carr at QB.

Carr drops back.

Gus: 'Carr.......Carr.......Carr' Carr stood there until finally someone took him out of his misery and sacked him.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least of little brother is just as inept at the NFL level. Texans look elsewhere though.
lod01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
I'm not going to read through this thread, but has anyone said Derek Carr? Because that would be ******* amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lod01 View Post
Beat me to it.

Favorite David Carr highlight: Gus Johnson announcing Texans game with Carr at QB.

Carr drops back.

Gus: 'Carr.......Carr.......Carr' Carr stood there until finally someone took him out of his misery and sacked him.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least of little brother is just as inept at the NFL level. Texans look elsewhere though.
Derek Carr being David Carr's brother has zero impact on his draft status.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Derek Carr being David Carr's brother has zero impact on his draft status.
This is true but Derek has shown that he also struggles against a pass rush which most people believe was the reason for David's failure. Watch the game against San Diego State this year. They kept blitzing Derek and he looked atrocious in that game. That was against a defense that allows over 32 ppg.

I haven't completely written Derek Carr off yet because he was fantastic against Boise State this year but I think he's a borderline 1st rounder instead of the top 10 pick that some people believe him to be.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredder View Post
This is true but Derek has shown that he also struggles against a pass rush which most people believe was the reason for David's failure. Watch the game against San Diego State this year. They kept blitzing Derek and he looked atrocious in that game. That was against a defense that allows over 32 ppg.

I haven't completely written Derek Carr off yet because he was fantastic against Boise State this year but I think he's a borderline 1st rounder instead of the top 10 pick that some people believe him to be.
Not to mention David played behind one of the worst offensive lines in the history of football.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:58 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

did anyone else notice how Halsey in one point stresses the importance of a franchise QB by using Brady as an example and then his very next point talk about franchise QB's being found in round 1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:11 PM    (permalink
CLong4Heisman
Veteran

CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Someone already touched on this, but from what I've gathered the biggest knock on Bridgewater is that he doesn't have an elite trait and they aren't sure he could get better because of how solid he already is.

I think the surrounding talent in Houston makes it easier to pass on Bridgewater. There's always decent veteran quarterbacks on the free agent market in the offseason so why not give an incentive filled deal to Cutler/McNown and make a run at the AFC South.

One of the other factors is JJ Watt. I believe he is eligible for free agency after next season, and keeping him happy has to be a main priority. If they take Bridgewater and go 4-12, why would he want to continue to play for a rebuilding team during his prime?

If Houston signed Cutler, and then took Clowney in the first and then Dennard from Michigan State in the second would that really be that bad?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Houston needs to revamp it's secondary. Get a decent safety and cornerback. They are stocked at OLB, Cushing has been knocked out with season ending injuries the past two seasons. They could also use a reliable nose tackle for their 3-4 front.

The offensive line is also pretty questionable. I was really high on the kid Quesenberry from San Jose St but he was injured in preseason. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted one of the top tackles to bookend with Duane Brown much like both Jacksonville and KC did this past season. The skill positions are pretty stocked.

Schaub made some really bad throws earlier in the season - his string of Pick 6's is pretty pathetic for an NFL QB but I do not think he is completely done in the league. Keenum has played decent, better than any of the so called experts thought he would of coming out of Houston a couple years back. I would say QB. It really depends on the coaching situation.

I think Whisenhunt would be the best candidate. Lovie Smith has a strictly cover 2 background from what I can recall, Texans have 3-4 personnel. I think that would be a fairly dramatic overhaul putting the Texans back another year or two rather than getting an offensive minded head coach to try and fix the issues on that side of the ball.

Like others have said I doubt Whisenhunt wants to develop a young QB, his history in Arizona shows that. Depending on who is available on the free agent market will dictate what they are going to do at the QB position obviously.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:36 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLong4Heisman View Post
Someone already touched on this, but from what I've gathered the biggest knock on Bridgewater is that he doesn't have an elite trait and they aren't sure he could get better because of how solid he already is.

I think the surrounding talent in Houston makes it easier to pass on Bridgewater. There's always decent veteran quarterbacks on the free agent market in the offseason so why not give an incentive filled deal to Cutler/McNown and make a run at the AFC South.

One of the other factors is JJ Watt. I believe he is eligible for free agency after next season, and keeping him happy has to be a main priority. If they take Bridgewater and go 4-12, why would he want to continue to play for a rebuilding team during his prime?

If Houston signed Cutler, and then took Clowney in the first and then Dennard from Michigan State in the second would that really be that bad?
Cutler has missed 12 games and counting over the past 3 seasons and it's not 100% that he's going to be available this offseason and if he is it's likely that he'll want a contract larger than the one given to a #1 overall pick. Also while Cutler has been a solid pro in his career he's really never been great. McNown has limited upside and I'd be surprised if you found someone who believed he was capable of winning a Superbowl.

I've had to say this a few times but if the Texans think that Bridgewater is only going to be an average Qb in the league then they absolutely should take Clowney/Barr or whoever they see as the top prospect. If you think Bridgewater can be a franchise Qb then that should trump your other needs.

I can't speak for JJ Watt but if I were him I would rather see my front office identify Qb as our biggest need and pass on finding a veteran who can lead us to a first round playoff exit and instead try to find the Qb who's going to make us a legit SB contender for the future. Watt is still very young so I'd say he can afford being on a mediocre team one more year for the prospect of being consistently competitive for the next decade.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Quote:

Your plan is probably the ideal way to go. I'd also add taking Clowney and a Boyd or a Manziel at the top of the second might be a viable option.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:43 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:

Their defense is still playing very well for the most part. They need a Quarterback. How many elite traits did Matt Ryan show coming out? What has Jay Cutler shown that would make Watt think hes the one that will get them over the top?

Quote:
Old 12-09-2013, 05:01 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredder View Post
You're going backwards in this discussion. We've already said that if you don't believe that Bridgewater or any other QB prospect can be a franchise Qb then you can pass on them to take your top rated player.

Your argument about the Pats going after Jimmy Graham doesn't really fit as they aren't giving up anything to get him in that scenario. In actuality the Texans would be passing up a possible franchise Qb for a top rated DE.
Not really. The argument I was debating was people saying if you already have a really good player at a position and it hasn't made you a great team then adding another would not make you better.

Adding Clowney to the Texans line not only helps JJ Watt but drastically increases his chances of affecting the game in the same way Graham would open things up for Gronk and vice versa.

It gets too muddy when you start saying a franchise qb should be taken above the next to rated player. A franchise qb needs to be just that. Someone who can lead the franchise. All top picks are highly scrutinised but qbs even more so. If the Texans don't absolutely love Teddy then really they cannot take him. The Qb needs to be an extension of the coach. The wiggle room for error for any other position is larger than qb. If they take Clowney and he starts out slow then he will be given time. If Teddy starts out like Geno Smith his confidence could be ruined.

If you fail on the first overall pick out is tough to come back from. If you fail on a qb with the first overall pick then its a coach killer. I'm not saying the new coach should be timid and cautious, but they need to be absolutely sure Teddy is their guy and not just pick him because he's a qb

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Camp Arm
Rookie

Quote:

The Elite traits that Bridewater has don't show up in how tall he is, arm strength and how fast he can run. His elite traits are between his ears.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Arm View Post
The Elite traits that Bridewater has don't show up in how tall he is, arm strength and how fast he can run. His elite traits are between his ears.
Which is impossible to measure when going from the worst BCS conference to the NFL.