Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really do want him to get healthy and have a long career but the fact is he will be pushed back into the line up quick. It might not be the best idea for his health but it is probably best for the teams success. There is too much pressure to win and perform to give him the extra time, plus possible financial incentives.

This weekend I was extremely leery of Pitta coming back off that hip, especially in the cold. But the team is much better with him out there even if he isn't 100%. Honestly my concerns disappeared when he caught a late 4th quarter TD because winning is more important sadly. I'm still worried but the value of him on the field is greater than the risk of him getting injured more at this current time. It's hypocritical but that's the NFL.

I want Gronks body to heal properly and for him to take the time to make sure he can continue a possible HoF career in the best way possible, but the NFL is measured in weeks not years. It just really isn't an option to take a full year off in the current climate. I'd like the Patriots to view this in terms of his career but that's not how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:00 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are a few differing things at play in this situation.

Firstly, the MCL tear means surgery on the ACL will have to be put off for at least a month meaning it will likely be late January.

Secondly, coming back from an ACL tear is a lot harder for a big guy compared to someone like Peterson.

Thirdly, Gronk doesn't appear to be a quick healer based on what has happened throughout his career.

Really, I wouldn't be surprised if Gronk is forced to sit out next year because the Pats will have no option.

Say his target date to get back is the end of November next year. He will have to start on PUP and then be activated after week 6, meaning the Pats are basically wasting a roster spot for 6 weeks with the hopes Gronk can get back. Then he will have to work his way back into shape with the expectation he can help in the playoffs. That's a tough ask, both for the player and for the organisation. As far as I am aware the IR/designated to return cannot be used on someone who entered the season with an injury.

We likely won't know until April or May with how his rehab is going. If he can heal quickly he will play. If not, I don't see the upside for either Gronk or the Patriots.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:48 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Expect the 30 for 30 on Gronk coming soon.

The (Almost)Greatest TE To Play The Game.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd just like to point out that an ACL tear takes 12 months in old people, not the young athletes of today. Ten years ago, that might have been true but players are coming back within that time frame.

It might take 18 months before they are back on track, but a lot of that has to do with getting comfortable taking hits to the surgically repaired area.

There is almost no good reason to think Gronk won't play some of 2014. I would be surprised if he's very Gronk like, but he's still on pace to shatter the TE TD record.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
The point of the thread was to suggest it could take all of next season to truly be back to 100%. Not a doctor clearing him to play, but actually 100%. Doctors cleared RGIII to play, and he wasn't 100%. 100% includes your mindset. RGIII hasn't looked as mobile this year as he did last year. It's not just that he's running less. I still don't see the athlete I saw last year. He's still a great athlete, to be sure, but barring another health setback you're going to see a more explosive player next year. That's what people are suggesting with Gronkowski, since he was hardly back before he was injured again. It's not about arbitrarily sitting him out a year, but of letting him heal truly without a timetable or an estimated return date. Of course he'll be back when he's really ready. Think part of it is how a lot fantasy owners and Pats fans have this attitude of wanting him back as soon as possible. 100% is not 100% able to play. 100% is healed, and that's what bigbuc and some others want to see, because they want to see him for as long as possible, not as soon as possible. Nobody's suggesting to put him on the bench in order to sound like a doctor; it's more an expression of wanting to make sure he's at full strength before he goes back out again.
No player comes back from an ACL tear at 100%. Mentally they are scared of getting hit there. What AP did was insane.