Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:08 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was a fan of McCown when he was with the Cardinals, but they never committed to him. I think he could have been a solid starter.

He's also responsible for one of the greatest calls of all-time.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:33 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
What should they have done? Let him walk?

I don't get this idea that's being thrown around now. That the Ravens were stupid to give Flacco such a huge deal. They absolutely had to. There was no alternative. Is he overpaid when you compare him dollar-for-dollar with other QBs? Sure. But they had no choice but to pay him that or lose their Super Bowl-winning QB.
It was a gamble to not get the deal done before the season, but we still had to sign him after the season. When you have a guy you can legit win with you really don't want to have to start over. Flacco played at an elite level in the playoffs and has had a lot of success so dumping him made zero sense. It's the price of having a good QB. He is just the most recent.

Flacco was never franchised like was said. They would have if a deal didn't get done though. His deal is really reasonable in the first half of it and the jumps up a bunch. I'm sure it will be renegotiated or extended before those huge numbers come into play, but on signing day the news is he is the highest paid and Flacco and his agent look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Soooo.. this is getting interesting.

..yes, this sig is a little embarrassing right now
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If McCown was 30 instead of 35, Jay Cutler's career in Chicago would be done immediately.

It still might be.

Who's to say the Bears aren't better off riding McCown for a couple more seasons and drafting a developmental QB in 2014???
Old 12-10-2013, 12:01 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think McCown is a threat to Cutler per se, but I do think the argument that ANY QB could thrive in this system with this surrounding talent is becoming more persuasive.

Cutler throws way too many interceptions, he's hurt all the time, and frankly he's a ***** that most Bears fans don't like. McCown obviously isn't the longterm answer, but Trestman is starting to build enough trust in his QB acumen that I trust his ability to find a suitable longterm replacement.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too many people are discrediting McCown though. It's not just the system. McCown has grown as a player a lot.

I saw throws yesterday that were incredible. The ball placement, the anticipation, the footwork, the understanding of his presnap reads, McCown looked like a damn good qb.

Most of what impressed me had nothing to do with the system, it was his understanding of ball placement that impressed me the most. That's talent. That's not system.

He can get better with his decision making as he threw a couple of passes that should have been picked, but other than that I was incredibly impressed.

I'll give you an example of growth:

On one play, Marshall runs a curl vs zone coverage. He should have sat closer to the middle of the 2 zone defenders but he didn't, he sat too close to the defender on the outside.

If McCown throws it right to him, it's a pick. Or at least incomplete. But McCown autocorrects the route by throwing it right in the middle of the zone and giving Marshall a chance to run towards the ball and catching it. To the naked eye this looked like an inaccurate pass that Marshall caught, but the reality is McCown threw him open.

That's the kind of play that speaks to the growth of McCown. Not the system.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't break the bank to sign Jay Cutler. He's going to be 31 in april so age is less of a consideration than it is with McCown but something you'd have to look at. Like someone said roll with McCown for awhile and then start to groom someone for the future.

Ideally you'd probably try to do some sort of sign and trade and get something for Jay but probably not going to happen.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I wouldn't break the bank to sign Jay Cutler. He's going to be 31 in april so age is less of a consideration than it is with McCown but something you'd have to look at. Like someone said roll with McCown for awhile and then start to groom someone for the future.
This sounds like a job for Zach Mettenberger.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure if McCown is a better QB but I think moving forward he could definitely be the better option.

Tag and trade Cutler. Get at least 1 starter if not 2 from the draft with that. Save $10mil+ in cost and turn that into 2 starters.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:53 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McCown is not the long term answer. Cutler might not be either but if you're going to let him walk (or try and pull off the fabled tag trade), you need to have a non-McCown option in your back pocket.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:01 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
McCown is not the long term answer. Cutler might not be either but if you're going to let him walk (or try and pull off the fabled tag trade), you need to have a non-McCown option in your back pocket.
It's not hard to tag and trade a QB. There would be multiple offers on the table day one. McCown doesn't have to be the long term answer. We can find our long term answer in the draft.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:12 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
It's not hard to tag and trade a QB. There would be multiple offers on the table day one. McCown doesn't have to be the long term answer. We can find our long term answer in the draft.
I donno this makes sense in principle but it never quite seems to happen that way. Was Flynn a franchise tag QB trade? I know Cassel was for sure. Usually these end up getting complicated by some stupid thing or another. I just know that every time you want to trust a McCown, disaster strikes.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to laugh so hard after hugging my bears fan friends if the Bears let go the first franchise QB that team has had in the SB era for Josh McCown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:18 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

Quote:
I donno this makes sense in principle but it never quite seems to happen that way. Was Flynn a franchise tag QB trade? I know Cassel was for sure. Usually these end up getting complicated by some stupid thing or another. I just know that every time you want to trust a McCown, disaster strikes.
Cutler is far more talented then Cassel and Flynn played one game. I think we can get more then SF got for Alex Smith.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
I'm going to laugh so hard after hugging my bears fan friends if the Bears let go the first franchise QB that team has had in the SB era for Josh McCown.

Ehhhh, doesn't seem that bad to me. Jay Cutler has been to the pro bowl once. Jay Cutler has thrown for 4,000 yards once. Jay Cutler has been to the playoffs once.

Yeah, he's a good quarterback, but it's not like they're telling Aaron Rodgers to pack his bags and get the heck out of dodge.

On the flipside if Cutler doesn't ask for a unreasonable amount of money, I'll change my tune.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Ehhhh, doesn't seem that bad to me. Jay Cutler has been to the pro bowl once. Jay Cutler has thrown for 4,000 yards once. Jay Cutler has been to the playoffs once.

Yeah, he's a good quarterback, but it's not like they're telling Aaron Rodgers to pack his bags and get the heck out of dodge.

On the flipside if Cutler doesn't ask for a unreasonable amount of money, I'll change my tune.
That's how I feel. If we can get him for closer to $10 mil then fine. But I'm not paying over $15mil because he's never been that great QB for us. It's not like he's some leader on this team either. McCown is probably more liked by his teammates.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be fair to Cutler, you finally get a OL in front of him, you finally have more weapons other than just Marshall (dude took Hester as his #1 WR and no OL to the NFCCG), and then he gets hurt, his backup comes in and plays well, and we all are acting like Cutler sucks.

All the years Cutler was there you had human feces around him, now he finally has a good unit around him and he gets hurt. It's just bad luck on his part.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
To be fair to Cutler, you finally get a OL in front of him, you finally have more weapons other than just Marshall (dude took Hester as his #1 WR and no OL to the NFCCG), and then he gets hurt, his backup comes in and plays well, and we all are acting like Cutler sucks.

All the years Cutler was there you had human feces around him, now he finally has a good unit around him and he gets hurt. It's just bad luck on his part.
arguably karma :)
Old 12-10-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

This. Just this. It's why I'll hug them before laughing hysterically in their faces while gasping "this is why you can't have nice things".

Quote:
arguably karma :)
Karma ain't got **** to do with the people of chicago doing chicago things when it comes to QBs of da bears. That west coast ******** holds no power (t)here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McCown is a free agent too though.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:26 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Cutler has played in eight games this season.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:26 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
McCown is a free agent too though.
Under what scenario would he not resign with the Bears if they wanted him to return as their starter?

Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Under what scenario would he not resign with the Bears if they wanted him to return as their starter?
Yeah, most likely. Just saying other teams may be interested.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Cutler has played in eight games this season.
Wasn't he 5-3 in those games?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:31 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

Quote:
Wasn't he 5-3 in those games?
4-4........