Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Don Banks on Atlanta's Draft Board;

LINK

Quote:
While everyone has focused on No. 4 Tampa Bay as the most likely trading partner for No. 2 Detroit in the Calvin Johnson Sweepstakes, it's the No. 8 Falcons who might truly be in the driver's seat. Sources say Falcons owner Arthur Blank has pretty much ordered Atlanta general manager Rich McKay to do everything he can to put the team into position to land Johnson at No. 2.

Blank wants Johnson for a couple of reasons. First, Johnson played at Georgia Tech and would help sell tickets to disillusioned Falcons fans who have endured two non-playoff seasons after Atlanta went to the NFC title game in 2004. Second, the Falcons still have their long-standing need of a reliable big-play receiver for quarterback Michael Vick to play pitch and catch with.

With seven picks in the first four rounds (including two second-rounders and three in the fourth), Atlanta definitely has the ammo to make the deal with Detroit. The Falcons could send the Lions their picks at 8, 39 and 44 for the No. 2 spot, and still have a third-rounder and three fourth-rounders to fill other needs.

If the Falcons, however, don't end up making a deal with Detroit at No. 2 for the right to take Johnson, they too could be tempted to move up to No. 6 to take Peterson. The thinking in Atlanta is that Warrick Dunn would probably be a Falcon just one more season, and then Bobby Petrino's backfield could feature Peterson, with Jerious Norwood used in a Reggie Bush-type role -- either split out or lined up in the slot at times. Atlanta's wish list reads Johnson, Peterson, LSU safety LaRon Landry, Penn State offensive tackle Levi Brown and Arkansas defensive end Jamaal Anderson, in that order.
That order is almost exactly what I have.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont see why we would trade up to 6 to get AD. If he is there at 6, chances are, he will be there at 8. Not to mention, there is a high chance of both Landry and Peterson being there at 6, and one of them is bound to drop to us.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:48 AM    (permalink
TRJ997
Rookie

TRJ997 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Cough . . . Cough . . . can someone hand me a mask . . . I can't see through all of the smoke.

"Sources say Falcons owner Arthur Blank has pretty much ordered Atlanta general manager Rich McKay to do everything he can to put the team into position to land Johnson at No. 2."

This quote is why I can't believe the story. If the Falcon's really wanted to trade up to #2, why would they announce that they are willing to do anything to make the deal? Blank is a smart guy and there is no way this would get out if it were true. I bet that these "sources" are related to the Lions who are trying to create a market for the #2 pick.

My conclusion may be wrong, but my logic isn't.
TRJ997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:22 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would say that the sources are closer with the Falcons than the Lions forcing Gruden's hand...if Gruden wants Johnson he'll have to pay more to get him, if he doesn't want him, then he will back off, and Atlanta can move up to #2 for less.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's the problem with having Rich McKay as your GM. He has a tremendous "poker face," as it were, when it comes to concealing him intentions. Perhaps this latest "Calvin Johnson" talk has been fabricated. We won't know until Saturday.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:55 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

GAH! These last 2 days are going to be TORTURE!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:59 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

In deed. Who is going to be a Falcon? Johnson? Thomas? Landry? Peterson? Anderson? Brown?

My money; if the team stays at #8, Levi Brown will be a Falcon.

Last edited by Shiver : 04-26-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:24 PM    (permalink
TRJ997
Rookie

TRJ997 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
I would say that the sources are closer with the Falcons than the Lions forcing Gruden's hand...if Gruden wants Johnson he'll have to pay more to get him, if he doesn't want him, then he will back off, and Atlanta can move up to #2 for less.
What "sources" ? If Atlanta is putting this out, then it is most likely to raise the price tag for the Bucs. Either way, I bet that Atlanta doesn't move up to #2.
TRJ997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Rich McKay was on The Herd, and he sounded like he doesn't want to give up what he would need to give up, for Calvin Johnson.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
In deed. Who is going to be a Falcon? Johnson? Thomas? Landry? Peterson? Anderson? Brown?

My money; if the team stays at #8, Levi Brown will be a Falcon.
I want to say that the Falcons come out of the Draft with Adrian Peterson, even if it means a likely trade up to #6 or maybe even #5, but I can't shake the feeling that Ken Wisenhunt and the Cardinals want Adrian Peterson and that he could very well be their pick.

If I had to choose right now, I'll say Peterson to Atlanta.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:49 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we stay put, I think it's LaRon Landry.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I want Laron Landry, or Levi Brown. Either way, the biggest needs from last year must be prioritized. I wouldn't mind a trade up for either Johnson, or Thomas, though. After thinking about it, I would rather hold unto all these picks if at all possible.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Ciao Bella

I want nothing to do with Levi Brown. To me he looks like a bust waiting to happen. My big board for the Falcons is

1. Calvin Johnson
2. LaRon Landry
3. Joe Thomas
4. Gaines Adams
5. Adrian Peterson
6. Jamaal Anderson
Old 04-26-2007, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Per Jay Glazer, the best info man in the business, in his recent feature on shooting down Draft rumors:

Quote:
Atlanta A running back. There have been links with Marshawn Lynch and even Adrian Peterson here, but that won't happen. Could I see them trying to trade up to keep Calvin Johnson local? Absolutely! That could be the biggest coup of the Rich McKay-era if he could somehow pull it off. Could see them taking Landry or even an OT here too. But a running back? Not this high.
Nevermind what I said, apparently. :)
Old 04-26-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Yeah, I don't see it either. They just need to add a platoon type, R.B.B.C, big back. They don't need to invest in a "franchise" back. Let alone taking one over a big time need, like OT, FS, WR, DE. I've been an advocate of Kolby Smith in the 4th round, for a while now.

Last edited by Shiver : 04-26-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
ksfalconsfan

I'd like to see us stay put at 8 and not trade away any of the picks we have. Either Landry or Peterson will probably be there, and I would be happy with either of them. We would have to give up too many potentially impact players in order to get Calvin Johnson. If Adrian Peterson is still there at #8, then we could also trade it away to a team that needs a RB - like Houston or Buffalo. With the #10 or #12 pick, we could get Patrick Willis
Old 04-26-2007, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Ciao Bella

Willis of deff. a top 10 player to me, btu I think we have more pressing needs than to get a LB in the 1st round. Maybe on late day 1 or day 2
Old 04-26-2007, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I think I have finally settled on my personal preference; I want to trade up for Joe Thomas. It would not cost that much, in contrast to trading up for Calvin Johnson. Atlanta would guarantee an elite player, at the biggest position of need, in my estimation.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think I have finally settled on my personal preference; I want to trade up for Joe Thomas. It would not cost that much, in contrast to trading up for Calvin Johnson. Atlanta would guarantee an elite player, at the biggest position of need, in my estimation.

I would love that if we picked up Aundrae Allsion. I still think WR is a solid need for us, and Allison's a G
Old 04-27-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink
secondeye

Just thought I'd post something for those of you that still want Landry.

Mike Morris, a former long snapper with a lot of inside connections to the Vikings, did his mock draft this morning. He has correctly predicted who the Vikings will select for 9 straight years. This year he says that the inside info is that Laron Landry is 3rd on their board behind Adams and Calvin Johnson. Even over A.P.

Could be a smokescreen for once, but just posting what I hear.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:30 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Thanks second, but I hope that's wrong if we stick at the #8 slot
Old 04-27-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
I would be happy with that IF it is true that Arizona passes on him, so that we can get him either at #5 or at #6. That should only cost a 3rd and 4th (ish). I wouldn't want to pay any more than that.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:26 AM    (permalink
ksfalconsfan

I hope that the Vikings dont take Landry, but that increases our chances of getting Adrian Peterson if Landry is ahead of him on their board. I would be happy if we got Peterson, even if RB isnt our biggest need. I've been watching Peterson since his freshman year, and I've never seen a college back fight for extra yards and run like he does. He has everything it takes to be an all-time great running back. I'd love to see him as a Falcon.