Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
In all honesty it's time to cut ties with Lewis. Put Dixon at SS and move Berry to FS
Can we draft Lamarcus Joyner for free in the first instead? I don't want to mess with Berry.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:06 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Chiefs have some needs in several different areas. I'll start with the most controversial first.

Pass rush. I know the Chiefs were on a record pace in the sack department earlier in the season. But that has dropped off big time since about the Buffalo game. The Chiefs need another guy that can beat one-on-one blocking. Preferably an interior defensive lineman.

Defensive back. I think we've been exposed some in the secondary. There are some good pieces back there. And I'm curious to see what we have in Sanders Commings. But I think some worrisome things have happened in the secondary the last half of the season that are troubling. And if we are going to continue to run this Rex-Ryan style of defense, then we have to be sure we have guys that can man-up outside. And I'm not certain we have that.

Wide Receiver. I don't think much needs to be said there. The lack of overall talent we have at WR is troubling and needs to be at or near the top of the list of priorities in the offseason.

RB. IDK if Knile Davis is the guy or not. Physically he looks the part. But his troubles with fumbling and pass blocking is troublesome. Jamal Charles is the offense (if I were Charles and his agent I'd be demanding more money in the offseason). But we need to identify someone that can compliment Charles and take some of the load off of him. RBs have a very limited life-span in the NFL.

QB. I know this one is controversial too. But I feel the biggest mistake Pioli made that ultimately got him fired was the fact he settled on an average QB and never really did anything to challenge him. Cassel got exposed for what he was, a backup QB and Pioli had already made his bed with Cassel. And that was probably the biggest thing that got him fired. Hopefully, despite the overall team success, Dorsey and Reid don't "settle" on Alex Smith. Smith hasn't been a bad acquisition. But there are still a lot of concerns with him. And I'm a believer that until you KNOW definitively that you have the guy at QB, you keep looking until you do.

Just some thoughts.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneMarko View Post
I think the Chiefs have some needs in several different areas. I'll start with the most controversial first.

Pass rush. I know the Chiefs were on a record pace in the sack department earlier in the season. But that has dropped off big time since about the Buffalo game. The Chiefs need another guy that can beat one-on-one blocking. Preferably an interior defensive lineman.

Defensive back. I think we've been exposed some in the secondary. There are some good pieces back there. And I'm curious to see what we have in Sanders Commings. But I think some worrisome things have happened in the secondary the last half of the season that are troubling. And if we are going to continue to run this Rex-Ryan style of defense, then we have to be sure we have guys that can man-up outside. And I'm not certain we have that.

Wide Receiver. I don't think much needs to be said there. The lack of overall talent we have at WR is troubling and needs to be at or near the top of the list of priorities in the offseason.

RB. IDK if Knile Davis is the guy or not. Physically he looks the part. But his troubles with fumbling and pass blocking is troublesome. Jamal Charles is the offense (if I were Charles and his agent I'd be demanding more money in the offseason). But we need to identify someone that can compliment Charles and take some of the load off of him. RBs have a very limited life-span in the NFL.

QB. I know this one is controversial too. But I feel the biggest mistake Pioli made that ultimately got him fired was the fact he settled on an average QB and never really did anything to challenge him. Cassel got exposed for what he was, a backup QB and Pioli had already made his bed with Cassel. And that was probably the biggest thing that got him fired. Hopefully, despite the overall team success, Dorsey and Reid don't "settle" on Alex Smith. Smith hasn't been a bad acquisition. But there are still a lot of concerns with him. And I'm a believer that until you KNOW definitively that you have the guy at QB, you keep looking until you do.

Just some thoughts.
I totally agree with you with all aspects. I think I'm always optimistic that the third string QB will develop....that being said, I'm still waiting for the Jags' to unleash the Stanzi..How did chase daniels look today? .
Old 12-30-2013, 12:46 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneMarko View Post

Just some thoughts.
Totally agree. The pass rush has been non-existent since Cleveland, and if you look at it, 7.5 of Houston's 11 sacks came in 2 games. That's not good. Now, obviously if you can get pressure on the quarterback that works too even if you're not getting sacks, but the Chiefs haven't been able to do that against some pretty suspect lines down the stretch.

I think the Chiefs have the pieces in the secondary, but any secondary is reliant on the pressure the front 7 puts on the quarterback. Every DB in the league, especially this pass-happy league, will look bad when the QB has 7 seconds to look for the open guy.

Wide receiver is what it is. Upgrades needed.

Running back I think is in good shape with Knile. Obviously he needs to fix the fumbling, and I think a late round flyer could be used to upgrade over Cyrus Gray, but I like where the Chiefs are at running back.

I think the Chiefs may have received a huge break when Mettenberger tore his ACL. He'll be there when the Chiefs pick, I think, and the Chiefs can either take him up - a la Rodgers - or parlay him into additional draft picks.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:06 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Pro Bowlers: Charles, Albert, Poe, Houston, Hali, McCluster, Flowers and Berry.

I think of that group Charles, McCluster, Poe and Berry are the most deserving. I thought McCluster really came into his own, the current regime did a much better job of scheming to his strengths than the last two did, while I thought using Berry in a Polamalu type role was excellent for him. Charles is a beast like we all knew, and Poe is just beginning to tap into his potential.

I understand Houston and Hali going with their numbers, but the majority of Houston's damage was done in two games against rookie tackles and he missed a lot of games with the elbow. I will say he defends the run better than Tamba, but the inconsistency with the pass rush is concerning. Hali was inconsistent as well, but I also think opposing teams got away with bear hugs on him all season long.

I don't get Albert or Flowers going. Both are good players at their positions, but I wouldn't call either performance Pro Bowl worthy. Especially Albert, as his injury proneness continues. Would still resign though.

Biggest travesty was DJ not getting to go. Never mind the interceptions and sacks (which he had plenty of), but he frequently was the guy knifing through traffic to blow up opposing ball carriers, often behind the line of scrimmage. The dude is as good of a linebacker the Chiefs have had in a long time, and I think it's a big disrespect towards him that he didn't get elected.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:44 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our #1 need, by far, is someone to replace Kendrick Lewis. He might be the single worst football player in the NFL right now.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well okay guys, it's time to discuss who is the next candidate to be the Head Coach.

What? We're not making a change? We're in the playoffs?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:24 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Seeing TonyGfortheTD reminds me that Tony Gonzalez retired. Here's to 88, one of the greatest players of all time.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:38 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's too bad he never got a ring, but I am glad that I no longer have to see him in a Falcons uniform.

It never felt right at all.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:40 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
I totally agree with you with all aspects. I think I'm always optimistic that the third string QB will develop....that being said, I'm still waiting for the Jags' to unleash the Stanzi..How did chase daniels look today? .
Chase looked relatively good I thought. No one will mistake him for Manning or anything. But all things considered he showed well. He had a nice pass that was in the air for 40 yards to AJ Jenkins that looked pretty impressive. Overall I thought he threw the ball well and made some plays with his feet when he had to. Great signing for Reid/Dorsey. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Mizzou guy :)
Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
Pro Bowlers: Charles, Albert, Poe, Houston, Hali, McCluster, Flowers and Berry.

I think of that group Charles, McCluster, Poe and Berry are the most deserving. I thought McCluster really came into his own, the current regime did a much better job of scheming to his strengths than the last two did, while I thought using Berry in a Polamalu type role was excellent for him. Charles is a beast like we all knew, and Poe is just beginning to tap into his potential.

I understand Houston and Hali going with their numbers, but the majority of Houston's damage was done in two games against rookie tackles and he missed a lot of games with the elbow. I will say he defends the run better than Tamba, but the inconsistency with the pass rush is concerning. Hali was inconsistent as well, but I also think opposing teams got away with bear hugs on him all season long.

I don't get Albert or Flowers going. Both are good players at their positions, but I wouldn't call either performance Pro Bowl worthy. Especially Albert, as his injury proneness continues. Would still resign though.

Biggest travesty was DJ not getting to go. Never mind the interceptions and sacks (which he had plenty of), but he frequently was the guy knifing through traffic to blow up opposing ball carriers, often behind the line of scrimmage. The dude is as good of a linebacker the Chiefs have had in a long time, and I think it's a big disrespect towards him that he didn't get elected.
I've always defended Branden Albert but I'm with you on that. Especially with his penchant for getting hurt. Seems like every few games or so he's always laying on the turf with some injury. It's great nothing has ever been "serious" to the point where he's missing an entire season or anything. But are we willing to give him a 6 year 60 million dollar contract? IDK. I'd be hesitant with that. Especially given where we are cap-wise and the fact that we just spent the #1 overall pick on LT and Donald Stephenson has shown some potential at OT.

But yeah, IDK how DJ doesn't make the pro-bowl. This may have been on of his strongest years as a pro. He seemed to be everywhere most of the year. I don't get it.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:21 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How bad would it be to let Albert go(which I think we will have too, we're pretty tight in the cap space) move Fisher over to the Left side and let Stephenson hold down at RT. I'm guessing we'll draft a guard in the first this year(per a lot of mocks) and let Asamoah walk too. Kinda worried about the age of the Offensive line.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:57 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Quote:
How bad would it be to let Albert go(which I think we will have too, we're pretty tight in the cap space) move Fisher over to the Left side and let Stephenson hold down at RT. I'm guessing we'll draft a guard in the first this year(per a lot of mocks) and let Asamoah walk too. Kinda worried about the age of the Offensive line.
Eh I don't like guard in the first round. The Chiefs need a legit receiver, QB of the future, and to upgrade the defensive line and backs before investing another first round pick in the offensive line.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 PM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

Quote:
IDK. I just don't see O-Line as a high priority as others. I don't think O-Line is one of the top issues on this team. This team needs playmakers on offense. Jamaal is pretty much it. Every now and then we might get something from Bowe. But he's had his second worst season of his career this year. The only one worse is one where he only played 11 games.

Like I said, we have issues in the defensive secondary. And I really am worried about our lack of pass rush. We haven't really generated much consistent pass rush since about week 7.

Knile Davis has shown signs of being a capable backup to Charles. So we might be able to move RB down a tad on the list. But this team has some pretty big issues to address in the offseason. I just don't think O-Line is one of them. Even with losing Albert.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chiefs want to extend Alex Smith’s contract

I'm okay with it actually. He isn't the end all be all but they aren't going to find anyone better via FA.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:52 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd give him 5-6 years worth $70-80 mil, but not more than that.

Also, the Chiefs blocked Chris Ballard from interviewing for the Bucs GM job. Not sure why, but whatevs.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I'd give him 5-6 years worth $70-80 mil, but not more than that.

Also, the Chiefs blocked Chris Ballard from interviewing for the Bucs GM job. Not sure why, but whatevs.
Chiefs are saying he wanted to stay.

Chiefs say Ballard wanted to stay in Kansas City

He said he didn't want to move his family again.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:26 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Oh, that's cool. To be clear, I didn't care if they blocked him just to block him either. They sign contracts and they're locked into em, but I guess I'd prefer that he wanted to stay here and build this thing up.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:02 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Guess I don't understand why he had the Chiefs block the Bucs? If you're not interested just tell them you're not interested.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Guess I don't understand why he had the Chiefs block the Bucs? If you're not interested just tell them you're not interested.
I think that's what happened, it was just initially reported that it was blocked? I don't know. Maybe he had no contact with them at all prior to him finding out he was a candidate?

It is strange but.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:45 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

Quote:
I'd guess he didn't want to go to Tampa but thought outright declining would make him look bad in the future with other openings?
Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

So, Romeo Crennel joined the Texans as DC. I'm happy for him. He is an awful HC but a great DC and a great guy.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Priest Holmes is going in to the Chiefs HOF.

I approve...
Old 03-01-2014, 11:50 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

mentioned this in offseason thread but not surprisingly there are reports Chiefs are talking extension with Justin Houston
Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Priest was a stud and is well deserving of going into the Chiefs Hall.

I've said it before, but Houston's ability to set the edge effectively against the run makes him a better all around player than Tamba, at this point in their careers. It'd be good to lock him up long term.