Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 12-17-2013, 06:47 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt they will have more than QB's on the roster because there aren't enough reps. The only reason McCarron wouldn't be there is if he declined the invite, which I only imagine he'd do in the case of an injury. After all the guy is from Mobile and basically a legend in the state.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:37 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around the idea Logan Thomas would get invited as a QB but A.J. McCarron would not. With all of the questions around McCarron being either a pure game manager or a legitimate prospect handcuffed by an ultra conservative offense could be somewhat answered in a new environment.

For some reason I think there was a year they took 7 QBs, one of which was like Logan Thomas where it was really debatable as to what position he played in the NFL (maybe Scott Frost's senior year).
One word: upside. If Cam Newton went #1 overall and EJ Manuel was a first round pick, then there's every reason to think someone looking for a big, strong armed QB who will still improve spends a day two pick on Thomas. Look at the Browns - if they want a Cam clone, then why not Thomas? Some NFL teams are looking for this type of prospect - tape not as important as tools. Same kinda deal with Stephen Morris - he looks more polished than Thomas - but some of his decision making has been poor this year and he certainly hasn't taken the next step many thought he would. However, he has a plus arm and certainly has all the tools to be an NFL starter.

McCarron probably won't improve that much - he is what he is now. Arm isn't as good as Thomas or Morris, isn't as athletic and question him when he has pressure.

The guy that surprises me is Fales - I've watched him quite a lot and didn't think he played at all well at times this year and his arm looks like it's a problem. I have him as a 5th round type. Not sure if he rescued things with the performance against Fresno?

So, I can see where the Senior Bowl is coming from with Thomas - would I touch him on day two - no. Will he go on day two - I think he's got a shot based on the way the position is going with many teams. However, I would certainly have invited McCarron over Fales.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesouth View Post
One word: upside. If Cam Newton went #1 overall and EJ Manuel was a first round pick, then there's every reason to think someone looking for a big, strong armed QB who will still improve spends a day two pick on Thomas. Look at the Browns - if they want a Cam clone, then why not Thomas? Some NFL teams are looking for this type of prospect - tape not as important as tools. Same kinda deal with Stephen Morris - he looks more polished than Thomas - but some of his decision making has been poor this year and he certainly hasn't taken the next step many thought he would. However, he has a plus arm and certainly has all the tools to be an NFL starter.

McCarron probably won't improve that much - he is what he is now. Arm isn't as good as Thomas or Morris, isn't as athletic and question him when he has pressure.

The guy that surprises me is Fales - I've watched him quite a lot and didn't think he played at all well at times this year and his arm looks like it's a problem. I have him as a 5th round type. Not sure if he rescued things with the performance against Fresno?

So, I can see where the Senior Bowl is coming from with Thomas - would I touch him on day two - no. Will he go on day two - I think he's got a shot based on the way the position is going with many teams. However, I would certainly have invited McCarron over Fales.
Upside? That word has come to baffle me when people talking about evaluating a prospect, especially a QB because people get boner's over a QB's 40 time or big arm, yet never take into consideration the player's mental acumen for the game, accuracy and decision making. Drafting a QB based more on physical ability is a mistake every time. You mention Newton being drafted on upside, while he has had a good year he is not nearly the prolific passer of many other QBs. The Panthers are benefiting greatly from the vastly improved defense.

Logan Thomas is less accurate than Tebow ever was at the college level, he got owned by the Alabama defense which makes me think that there is no way he can handle NFL defenses.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:30 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Upside? That word has come to baffle me when people talking about evaluating a prospect, especially a QB because people get boner's over a QB's 40 time or big arm, yet never take into consideration the player's mental acumen for the game, accuracy and decision making. Drafting a QB based more on physical ability is a mistake every time. You mention Newton being drafted on upside, while he has had a good year he is not nearly the prolific passer of many other QBs. The Panthers are benefiting greatly from the vastly improved defense.

Logan Thomas is less accurate than Tebow ever was at the college level, he got owned by the Alabama defense which makes me think that there is no way he can handle NFL defenses.
Screw being owned by Alabama, he single handily lost the game against Duke.
MassNole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:25 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trent Murphy accepts invite - http://goldengatesports.com/2013/12/...r-bowl-invite/
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:07 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm 100% with you - I'm just saying that's the trend in the NFL - big QB's who can throw through a wall and it doesn't matter if they don't hit the wall every time!

I wouldn't touch Thomas - but I bet someone will and a lot higher than most people are making out.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:15 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have such a big clue right now. I assume he goes as a DE because they do mostly 43 stuff. I'm pumped he is going. He can make a big impression if he is good out there. I hope Skov thinks about going also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:14 PM    (permalink
Titanfan99
Rookie

Titanfan99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Craig Losten (S) LSU to play in Senior Bowl...
Titanfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A bunch of new additions and big names announced today!

Rob Blanchflower, TE, Massachusetts
Deandre Coleman, DT, California
Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami (FL)
Marqueston Huff, S, Wyoming
Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi St.
Christian Jones, OLB, Florida St.
Craig Loston, S, L.S.U.
Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
Tevin Reese, WR, Baylor
Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia
Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford
Andre Williams, RB, Boston College
Marcus Heit, LS, Kansas St.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:21 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good seeing Blanchflower on there. Loved seeing Fisch pick him up in the forum mock.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:21 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ah yes. Skov and Murphy.

I hope more players realize the opportunity to improve their stock at the Senior Bowl. A week with and surrounded by NFL scouts can really help.

Quote:
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:54 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Other than his statistical output, I have absolutely no idea how Marqueston Huff was able to receive a Senior Bowl invite. The dude plays football like he's just ingested a considerable dosage of sedatives. In all my years following the draft, the complete lack of urgency he plays with is almost completely unprecedented. Unless there's an NFL team in possession of a Poké Flute, I don't know that anyone can wake him from his slumber.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:23 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't know if this has been posted, but here is a list of participants who have accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ATL_newsdriver
Old 12-27-2013, 06:11 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Other than his statistical output, I have absolutely no idea how Marqueston Huff was able to receive a Senior Bowl invite. The dude plays football like he's just ingested a considerable dosage of sedatives. In all my years following the draft, the complete lack of urgency he plays with is almost completely unprecedented. Unless there's an NFL team in possession of a Poké Flute, I don't know that anyone can wake him from his slumber.
As you noted Huff has had a terrific senior campaign.

However, the real reason Huff is so highly-thought of in league circles is you don't find defensive backs that are just a shade under 6-0 but run a legit sub-4.4 forty very often. That mix of size and speed along with the production and versatility to play either cornerback or safety are why Huff could come off the board as early as Day 2. That is a pretty impressive dossier for a DB.

Last edited by Scott Wright : 12-27-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Titanfan99
Rookie

CJ Mosley has accepted his invitation to Senior Bowl!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Don't know if this has been posted, but here is a list of participants who have accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ATL_newsdriver
That is actually one of the best Senior Bowl rosters I have seen in a long time. There is A LOT of talent at this game.

When will we know about RS-Junior invitations?
Old 12-28-2013, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Titanfan99
Rookie

Kevin Norwood (WR) Alabama and Cody Mandell (P) Alabama have accepted
their Senior Bowl invitations...AJ McCariens has stated he will wait until after
Bowl game to make his decision...
Old 12-29-2013, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanfan99 View Post
Kevin Norwood (WR) Alabama and Cody Mandell (P) Alabama have accepted
their Senior Bowl invitations...AJ McCariens has stated he will wait until after
Bowl game to make his decision...
Here is the article about McCarron waiting to make his decision:

Seems very strange to me. From Mobile. Played at Bama. Big Opportunity to Improve Stock.

I'll be stunned if McCarron isnt at the Senior Bowl and if he isn't it's a big mistake.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:35 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Here is the article about McCarron waiting to make his decision:

Seems very strange to me. From Mobile. Played at Bama. Big Opportunity to Improve Stock.

I'll be stunned if McCarron isnt at the Senior Bowl and if he isn't it's a big mistake.

This actually makes me question his commitment to football.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
This actually makes me question his commitment to football.
The only reasonable explanation I can think of for McCarron's hesitation is that he is under the misguided impression that he's a high first round pick and may have more to lose than gain by participating in the Senior Bowl. A lot of prospects are being misled this time of year.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:03 AM    (permalink
wojo
Rookie

wojo could make a wolverine purr.wojo could make a wolverine purr.wojo could make a wolverine purr.wojo could make a wolverine purr.wojo could make a wolverine purr.wojo could make a wolverine purr.wojo could make a wolverine purr.wojo could make a wolverine purr.wojo could make a wolverine purr.

I can't believe Dri Archer hasn't been added to the list. Was he invited and declined to attend or just completely forgotten about? He's supposedly a third round pick so I'm quite baffled that he isn't participating.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:16 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojo View Post
I can't believe Dri Archer hasn't been added to the list. Was he invited and declined to attend or just completely forgotten about? He's supposedly a third round pick so I'm quite baffled that he isn't participating.
It is odd that Archer hasn't been announced yet but he isn't on the East / West roster either.

I'll be surprised if Archer isn't ultimately in Mobile.

On another note I just added Ohio St. RB Carlos Hyde to the list.

This may be the most impressive group I've seen at that position in my decade of going to the Senior Bowl. Marion Grice, Charles Sims, Andre Williams, the aforementioned Hyde, etc.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

AJ McCarron won't attend the senior bowl according to Gil Brandt. Link
Old 01-01-2014, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
Better throw at the combine.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:19 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
One of the worst decisions to not attend the Senior Bowl ever.