Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His fastball throws are probably harder to catch when it is 0. Vernon belly and body catches are no problem but the ones that are not on target are less likely to be pulled in with a great grab like Boldin has been doing.
You just don't have the feel in the hands and the football is gonna be less than supple.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously, we have no chance at all against you guys, and I put $200 yesterday on the Niners, so my $ is where my mouth (fingers) is.

http://packersinsider.com/?p=6221

This pretty much sums it up.

You've had some injuries to your back end.
But amazingly, your total front 7 is fine & dandy, healthy and fresh.
And all 5 of your physical OL are starting. Nice.

I can only dream of health like that.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:13 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Seriously, we have no chance at all against you guys, and I put $200 yesterday on the Niners, so my $ is where my mouth (fingers) is.

http://packersinsider.com/?p=6221

This pretty much sums it up.

You've had some injuries to your back end.
But amazingly, your total front 7 is fine & dandy, healthy and fresh.
And all 5 of your physical OL are starting. Nice.

I can only dream of health like that.
Hmmmm....why would you bet against a team you hate? That doesnt make any sense if you're a true fan of the Packers. I'm not a gambler so it doesnt matter but if I was, I would never gamble against my team. That's just wrong.

Regarding injuries, true but we were without Crabtree for 11 games which definitely slowed down Kaepernick's progress. Thankfully, we had Boldin. Also, Manningham was injured, came back and then put on IR. Patton was injured for the majority of the season. Iupati missed a few games.

For the most part, we were healthy but still had injuries. Majority of the time, its just bad luck.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:27 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Could the sf defense switch from 3-4 to a 4-3 defense and still be great? I was just thinking about this today thought it's possible or does our personal not work out for it?

I don't mind the 34 defense but never liked it personally,I've always favored the 43 defense. thoughts ?
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:28 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Could the sf defense switch from 3-4 to a 4-3 defense and still be great? I was just thinking about this today thought it's possible or does our personal not work out for it?

I don't mind the 34 defense but never liked it personally,I've always favored the 43 defense. thoughts ?
Since we run more of a 2-4-5 defense majority of the time and because of the great players and depth we have on defense, I would say yes. Justin Smith played DE in the Bengals 4-3 defense. While im not 100% sure, I think that Aldon Smith played DE in a 4-3 in college because I remember reading when he was a rookie that he was making the transition to a 3-4 OLB.

DT wise, Ray McDonald would move inside next to Glenn Dorsey. Not sure about Ian Williams, Quinton Dial or Tony Jerod-Eddie in regards to if they would play DT or DE in a 4-3. I would guess Williams and Dial inside with Jerod-Eddie outside.

Players such as Tank Carradine and Lawrence Okoye would be question marks.

LB wise, Willis in the middle with Bowman and Brooks outside. Brooks played OLB with the Bengals in their 4-3 defense. I dont think any of the three would have a problem with the transition. Lemonier would probably become a situational edge rusher at DE.

Secondary doesnt make a difference since they stay the same. I think that we could make the transition back to the 4-3 with minimal problems compared to when we switched from a 4-3 to the 3-4 back in 2005.

While I also prefer the 4-3 over the 3-4, I highly doubt that we would change schemes. As long as our defense stays stacked and we keep the main guys intact and everyone stays healthy for the most part, with or without Fangio, I dont see us changing back any time soon.

With all of that said, im excited about our defense in 2014 because we'll get back Ian Williams, still have Justin, McDonald and Dorsey plus guys like Jerod-Eddie, Lemonier and Dial will have more experience and knowledge about the positions they play respectively plus we still have Carradine and Okoye waiting in the wings. Add in Dobbs as an RFA and possibly Tukuafu being brought back even though he's more on offense now than defense and our depth is insane. I would still add another DE in the draft just in case Justin decides to retire sooner rather than later and in case we lose a player or two between now and the 2015 off-season.

If anything, our secondary is what will need work regardless of the scheme in 2014. Will definitely be looking at cornerbacks early in the Draft. At least two of them within our first five draft picks. A strong safety as well. After that, I would probably look at center to replace Goodwin and OL in general for depth.

Man....more I think about our team, we're stacked!!! If we can keep Boldin for one more season, develop Patton and possibly get another good WR in the draft or a FA WR in 2015, I dont think that we'll have any weaknesses. Our biggest problem will be retaining everyone but thats one problem I dont mind having.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:52 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Since we have a few days to go before the NFC Championship Game, according to ninercaphell.com, the following are our free agents come March.

NOTE: Doesnt include the players who are on the practice squad as those guys usually get signed to future/reserve contracts once our season is finished.

QB Colt McCoy
FB Anthony Dixon
FB Will Tukuafu (RFA)
WR Anquan Boldin
WR Mario Manningham
WR Kassim Osgood
C Jonathan Goodwin
DE Demarcus Dobbs (RFA)
ILB Michael Wilhoite (RFA)
CB Tarell Brown
CB Eric Wright
CB Perrish Cox (RFA)
SS Donte Whitner
K Phil Dawson

Out of the above players, im expecting Tukuafu, Dobbs, Wilhoite and Cox to be on the pre-season roster since all four are RFA's and should at the very least, be given one year tenders. Dont really care about the first three but im really hoping that we can sign Cox to an long term extension.

Would love to re-sign Dixon but I dont see him coming back as I think that another team will offer him more money as well as chance to possibly start at FB or be the third RB. With us, he's more of a special teamer than anything else.

Boldin is the main guy that we have to re-sign. There's no FA WR who would be worth going after in my opinion as the starter opposite Crabtree. While Boldin made $6m and definitely earned it, I would offer him a one year deal worth $5m because he is a year older after all. Wouldnt be surprised to see another team like the Panthers or Lions to sign him to give their young QB that possession clutch receiver.

I would let the rest of the UFA's leave without a fight. Dawson would be the only guy I would think about bringing back besides Boldin but he reminds me of Akers in 2011. Great season, average second season and gone. Would much rather prefer to finally draft a kicker mid to late rounds.

Whitner has played better this season but he's in a contract year so is anyone really that surprised? I like Whitner but not as much as I liked and wanted to keep Goldson a year ago. With Reid at FS, I would love a rookie SS to match up with him.

On a side note, im fully expecting us to release CB Carlos Rogers which would save us over $5.1m in cap room for 2014 and $7.6m in 2015. Rogers has declined compared to 2011 and I wasnt a fan of keeping him then nor am I now. Cox has played just as good, if not better in the two playoff games. Is also younger and cheaper. Cox has even jumped ahead of Wright which says something.

This coming off-season is all about extending our young core and we have a lot of them coming up in 2015 (see next post).
Old 01-15-2014, 03:17 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like Whitner to come back at a decent price. He isn't 30 yet, and is having one of his best seasons. Reid and Whitner are one of the better safety tandems in the NFL right now. Wouldn't want to break that up anytime soon. Funny how once Goldson left, Whitner started to turn his act around.

I expect Rogers and Brown to leave. Rogers is a little long in the tooth and someone will throw a ton of money at Brown. We'll have to deal with Brock and Culliver as our starters for the near future. Hopefully Culliver returns to his prior self. He was showing promise. Wouldn't be surprised if we go corner with our first round draft pick.

Boldin and Dawson need to be kept.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 01-15-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:18 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

2015 free agents -

QB Colin Kaepernick
RB Frank Gore
RB Kendall Hunter
FB Bruce Miller
WR Michael Crabtree
TE Garrett Celek (RFA)
C Daniel Kilgore
OG Mike Iupati
OG Adam Snyder
DL Glenn Dorsey
DE Tony Jerod-Eddie (RFA)
OLB Aldon Smith
OLB Dan Skuta
CB Chris Culliver
SS C.J. Spillman
SS Raymond Ventrone

While this looks bad, its actually not as bad as it looks since im fully expecting a few players to be extended this off-season. Kaepernick, Crabtree and Iupati are the top three in my opinion with Aldon fourth. Reason I put Iupati ahead of Aldon is because we have a great OL and depending on what happens with Gore/Lattimore in 2014, we need to keep that OL fully intact. I know that guards arent worth the money and can usually be replaced in the Draft, I want and think that the team should make an exception with Iupati.

Gore, I see either being released this off-season, leave as an UFA in 2015 or get extended this off-season so he can lower his $6m+ 2014 salary and retire a 49er.

Would definitely try to extend Hunter this off-season. Coming off last season's injury and not being as productive for various reasons, he should be cheap to keep. Plus, I like the idea of Lattimore, Hunter and James.

Celek is an RFA so if he makes it that far, I expect him to be on the pre-season roster in 2015 under a one year tender.

Whether or not the 49ers see Kilgore as the guy replacing Goodwin, he needs to be extended and dont think that he would command much. Would definitely try to extend him this off-season.

Would let Snyder, Dorsey, Skuta and Ventrone walk.

Would definitely keep Jerod-Eddie and try to extend him.

Would definitely try to extend Spillman as well this off-season. Culliver is a wildcard. I would let him play out his contract to see if he's worth a long term contract. If he cant bounce back from his season ending injury, I would just let him walk.

How good or bad 2015 looks will be based on what we do this off-season. Some may want Gore, Brooks and/or McDonald to be released to free cap room. Brooks would save $3m in 2014, $5.3+ in 2015 with McDonald saving $1.1m in 2014 and $3.4m in 2015. Personally, I wouldnt release either one as both are playing very well. While its possible that Brooks gets release in 2015, I think 2016 is more likely since we would save over $7.3m in 2016 and $7.8m in 2017. Also, hopefully Lemonier is starter ready by then as the cap savings could go to him.

I know im getting way ahead of myself here but I dont think that the above three should be going anywhere this off-season. Main one is Gore. Gore is our franchise leader at RB and while I would definitely like to see his cap number be lowered for 2014, not at the expense of releasing him. Lattimore hasnt played a snap yet and Hunter/James are change of pace backs. Would also like to keep Gore around for when Lattimore does play as a veteran leader and whatnot.

Bottom line is that the upcoming off-season and 2015 off-season will be all about extending our young core. Hopefully, Baalke can get it done. :D
Old 01-15-2014, 03:25 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I would like Whitner to come back at a decent price. He isn't 30 yet, and is having one of his best seasons. Reid and Whitner are one of the better safety tandems in the NFL right now. Wouldn't want to break that up anytime soon. Funny how once Goldson left, Whitner started to turn his act around.
Whitner will be 29 in July and I just dont want to see a repeat of what happened with Rogers. Like Boldin, I wouldnt offer anything more than a one year deal and even then, it would be tough because we're going to need some cap room to extend younger players at far more important positions.

I think Whitner bolts to the highest bidder like Goldson did. Its going to most likely be his last "big" contract and I would be shocked and pissed if it came from us.

Would much rather see a rookie SS to team up with Reid. Going to happen either way and I prefer sooner rather than later. Plus, a rookie is far cheaper and under contract for four years which would also help in regards to having cap room to extend the guys that are due extensions.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:30 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness
I expect Rogers and Brown to leave. Rogers is a little long in the tooth and someone will throw a ton of money at Brown. We'll have to deal with Brock and Culliver as our starters for the near future. Hopefully Culliver returns to his prior self. He was showing promise. Wouldn't be surprised if we go corner with our first round draft pick.

Boldin and Dawson need to be kept.
I dont mind Brock as a starter as long as he plays the side he's best on. I think Culliver will have to earn that starting spot especially if we draft a corner in the first round. I'm actually hoping that we draft two corners within our first five draft picks. Definitely hoping that we extend Cox. Brock, Culliver, Cox, Morris plus two corners going into training camp would be great.

Agree with Boldin and Dawson but at the same time, if they want too much money, I would have to let them leave. Dawson has been great but im concerned he turns into Akers from 2012 in 2014. Boldin has been a stud and I dont think that we would have been better than 8-8 without him but at the same time, I wouldnt be surprised to see another team overpay him on a longer deal.

I wouldnt offer anything more than one year deals to either. Can add Whitner to this too.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:36 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I dont mind Brock as a starter as long as he plays the side he's best on. I think Culliver will have to earn that starting spot especially if we draft a corner in the first round. I'm actually hoping that we draft two corners within our first five draft picks. Definitely hoping that we extend Cox. Brock, Culliver, Cox, Morris plus two corners going into training camp would be great.

Agree with Boldin and Dawson but at the same time, if they want too much money, I would have to let them leave. Dawson has been great but im concerned he turns into Akers from 2012 in 2014. Boldin has been a stud and I dont think that we would have been better than 8-8 without him but at the same time, I wouldnt be surprised to see another team overpay him on a longer deal.

I wouldnt offer anything more than one year deals to either. Can add Whitner to this too.
Akers had a sports hernia injury last season, which is what seemed to screw him over. Not sure why you would think Dawson would turn into Akers.

And I don't know why you would want Cox back. He hasn't played very well. Not horrible, but I'd take my chances with Eric Wright.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2014, 01:06 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Akers had a sports hernia injury last season, which is what seemed to screw him over. Not sure why you would think Dawson would turn into Akers.

And I don't know why you would want Cox back. He hasn't played very well. Not horrible, but I'd take my chances with Eric Wright.
True but Akers was healthy and still played bad this season for the Lions. It all comes down to the money. I wouldnt spend $2.35m or more on him again. Yeah, he's had a great season thus far but will also be a year older and we're eventually going to need a rookie kicker at some point. With so many top tier players waiting for their extensions, spending extra money on a kicker isnt something I would do unless I have a few of those players extended beforehand.

I think Cox has played better than Rogers in the slot. I dont even want Rogers to play the rest of the way. Every game I see Rogers get beat time and time again in the slot. Cox has played better in the last two weeks and why would you want Wright when he cant even beat out Cox who you say hasnt played very well.

Wright will be 29 in July. Cox just turned 27 a few days ago. At basically a year and a half younger and to me, better, I would much rather see us keep Cox instead of Wright. I dont want Brown, Rogers or Wright back for 2014. They all need to go.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
True but Akers was healthy and still played bad this season for the Lions. It all comes down to the money. I wouldnt spend $2.35m or more on him again. Yeah, he's had a great season thus far but will also be a year older and we're eventually going to need a rookie kicker at some point. With so many top tier players waiting for their extensions, spending extra money on a kicker isnt something I would do unless I have a few of those players extended beforehand.

I think Cox has played better than Rogers in the slot. I dont even want Rogers to play the rest of the way. Every game I see Rogers get beat time and time again in the slot. Cox has played better in the last two weeks and why would you want Wright when he cant even beat out Cox who you say hasnt played very well.

Wright will be 29 in July. Cox just turned 27 a few days ago. At basically a year and a half younger and to me, better, I would much rather see us keep Cox instead of Wright. I dont want Brown, Rogers or Wright back for 2014. They all need to go.
Maybe Akers wasn't as healthy as you think he was. Regardless, they're two different people. You're acting like Dawson is going to fall down the same path as Akers, and there is no reason why that would happen. And even if we did change kickers, why would we have to get a rookie kicker? It's pretty obvious that Jim Harbaugh and his coaching staff don't like playing rookies at all very much. He would just get a veteran kicker.

Cox hasn't necessarily played better than Rogers. At best it's the same. Cox has had two lackluster performances in Green Bay and Carolina. He wasn't getting targeted and torched, but he hasn't played that well either. When Eric Wright was in the lineup he played a little better. Doesn't mean Cox "beat him out". If he was so much better why was Cox cut earlier this season? Why didn't he surpass Wright the entire year? If Wright doesn't hurt his hamstring are we even having this talk? Maybe Wright still hasn't recovered from his hamstring. And who cares if Wright will be 29 and Cox just turned 27. You're saying that as if Cox is a much younger and/or better player and it isn't true.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 01-15-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:19 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dan is terrified of the number 30. Terrified.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the strength of our team, so few 'dire' needs & the number of picks we have I cant believe that we wont be major players in draft day trading. I could definitely see us bundling picks to move up to grab a great prospect at WR or CB. I know rookies are cheap but I cant see more than 3-4 actually make the team next year so why waste all of those picks. Alternatively I could see us trading out for future picks if the offer is right

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:24 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Maybe Akers wasn't as healthy as you think he was. Regardless, they're two different people. You're acting like Dawson is going to fall down the same path as Akers, and there is no reason why that would happen. And even if we did change kickers, why would we have to get a rookie kicker? It's pretty obvious that Jim Harbaugh and his coaching staff don't like playing rookies at all very much. He would just get a veteran kicker.

Cox hasn't necessarily played better than Rogers. At best it's the same. Cox has had two lackluster performances in Green Bay and Carolina. He wasn't getting targeted and torched, but he hasn't played that well either. When Eric Wright was in the lineup he played a little better. Doesn't mean Cox "beat him out". If he was so much better why was Cox cut earlier this season? Why didn't he surpass Wright the entire year? If Wright doesn't hurt his hamstring are we even having this talk? Maybe Wright still hasn't recovered from his hamstring. And who cares if Wright will be 29 and Cox just turned 27. You're saying that as if Cox is a much younger and/or better player and it isn't true.
Akers declined either way this year. While im not saying that would happen to Dawson next year, I personally would much rather draft a rookie mainly because he's cheaper. Veterans are going to cost more. Why Harbaugh doesnt like playing rookies is beyond me. I can understand not starting them if you dont have to but with all the draft picks that we tend to have every year, you would think that he would play rookies at least in supporting roles. It pretty much comes down to money/cap room and in that regard, a rookie wins.

From what I saw in the two playoff games, Cox has played very well. He got beat for a big play in the Packers game but dont remember seeing or hearing him get beat otherwise and thats a good thing. Rogers gets targeted all the damn time and beat more times than not. I'm not a fan of Rogers, never have been and never will be. Easily prefer Cox over him starting at nickel and yes, while it may be mean, im hoping that Rogers hamstring injury keeps him out for the rest of our season.

Cox was released earlier to open up a roster spot with Wright coming off the PUP list. But look at it now, Cox was re-signed and has played over Wright the last two games. Wright hasnt been any good since earlier in his career. Age wise, I almost always prefer younger over older. Who wouldnt? Granted, there's exceptions like Gore, Justin Smith but they're awesome. Wright isnt and not worth re-signing. Much rather go into 2014 with Brock, Culliver, Morris and two rookies as opposed to having Wright on the roster. Sorry, but he's been a waste of cap room and a roster spot. And personally, I do think that Cox is better than Wright. Why everyone was so high on Wright to begin with is beyond me and him failing his physical should have told management that he's not healthy. Granted, he's only $800k or so but still not worth it in my opinion. Hell, I rather have Rogers and I hate him so that should tell you something.

Either way, dont know about you or anyone else but im hoping that Brown, Wright and Rogers will all be gone by March. I for one will be a happy camper.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
Dan is terrified of the number 30. Terrified.
Hahaha. Funny but no. If that was true, I would want Justin and Frank to be gone already but they're excellent players and still playing at a very high level. Plus, they're proven players. Wright....hmmmm, no. Enough said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post
With the strength of our team, so few 'dire' needs & the number of picks we have I cant believe that we wont be major players in draft day trading. I could definitely see us bundling picks to move up to grab a great prospect at WR or CB. I know rookies are cheap but I cant see more than 3-4 actually make the team next year so why waste all of those picks. Alternatively I could see us trading out for future picks if the offer is right
Agree but I dont really want a WR in the first round. I'm hoping that with our first five picks, we draft TWO cornerbacks, a SS, a C and an OT/OG for depth. Actually, I do see more rookies making the team if they decide to cut guys like Ventrone, Dahl, etc. to save cap room in order to extend the top tier players that need to be extended.

Speaking of OG, while I definitely want the team to re-sign Iupati, if they cant/dont want to pay him, I would try to trade him for a first or second round draft pick. At most, all we would get would be a third round compensation pick in 2016 if he leaves as an UFA in 2015. I would much rather trade him this off-season if they cant extend him or of he wants too much money which is a definite possibility.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:18 AM    (permalink
Swoll_Cat
Rookie

Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

THE WEST COAST DEFENSE

Last edited by Swoll_Cat : 01-16-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Swoll_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:46 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

So what are the chances we can get Sammy Watkins in the draft? I think we have the picks to move up if need be.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
So what are the chances we can get Sammy Watkins in the draft? I think we have the picks to move up if need be.
Slim to none. Why would you want to trade all the way up into the top five just to get a rookie WR when that's NOT a major need? Also, we would probably have to give up our first five draft picks to make that big of a move. Definitely not worth it and far more concerned about the secondary than I am WR.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Slim to none. Why would you want to trade all the way up into the top five just to get a rookie WR when that's NOT a major need? Also, we would probably have to give up our first five draft picks to make that big of a move. Definitely not worth it and far more concerned about the secondary than I am WR.
The 49ers have no speed at receiver. No one to stretch the field. From everything I've read and seen Watkins is a complete receiver with the ability to stretch the field. I wish he was a little taller, but this roster needs an impact playmaker. What we have right now is a bunch of possession type guys. Corner is a concern, but for the kind of offense we're running we need more outside threats that can get deep. Vernon Davis is the only guy that can do that for us right now.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
The 49ers have no speed at receiver. No one to stretch the field. From everything I've read and seen Watkins is a complete receiver with the ability to stretch the field. I wish he was a little taller, but this roster needs an impact playmaker. What we have right now is a bunch of possession type guys. Corner is a concern, but for the kind of offense we're running we need more outside threats that can get deep. Vernon Davis is the only guy that can do that for us right now.
I'm aware of that which is why I wanted Wallace a year ago but let's be honest, it doesnt matter because as long as Kaepernick doesnt go through his progressions and continues to zero in on Crabtree, it wont matter what the other receivers are, how fast they are or how big they are.

If Watkins was to fall to 15 or lower, then maybe we can pull off the same kind of trade we did last year to get Reid but to give up our first five draft picks for a rookie WR which many say takes three years to develop would be a horrible move in my opinion.

CB, SS and C are the big three in my opinion. I would even put OG and another CB ahead of WR. Just no point. Not only that but unless its a Harbaugh picked guy, there's no guarantee that the guy would even play let alone start.

I'm hoping for the 49ers to come away with a starting LCB, starting SS and a starting C in the first three rounds. Anything after that would be a bonus. I wouldnt mind Watkins but not at the expense of five draft picks.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:22 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say let kaep play out his contract he can leave if he wants to but please don't pay him know.

As far as the draft. I think wide out is our biggest need. We need a big red zone tartet. I would give up 3 draft picks for Watkins . **** it go all in. We need the guy. Then draft defense rest of the draft its a solid depth draft for our needs. Sure we may not studs. but we seem to draft better guys towards the mid round any how .. We could pull off an Atlanta trade like they did with Julio .. IMO it would be worth it.

DO IT JIM, Just do it! Besides Boldin, Crabtree and upcoming Patton and Davis we have **** at wide out. I think if we landed another big wide out he might look the other who knows. But with Boldin he should already be looking twice before Crabs or even with Davis. I don't understand he wasn't targeted more in the play offs then he was but what ever. ..

I again I say go for it and go all in for Watkins. After his bowl game i was in love and would love him in sf and our offense. We have the spare picks to do it.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:17 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I say let kaep play out his contract he can leave if he wants to but please don't pay him know.

As far as the draft. I think wide out is our biggest need. We need a big red zone tartet. I would give up 3 draft picks for Watkins . **** it go all in. We need the guy. Then draft defense rest of the draft its a solid depth draft for our needs. Sure we may not studs. but we seem to draft better guys towards the mid round any how .. We could pull off an Atlanta trade like they did with Julio .. IMO it would be worth it.

DO IT JIM, Just do it! Besides Boldin, Crabtree and upcoming Patton and Davis we have **** at wide out. I think if we landed another big wide out he might look the other who knows. But with Boldin he should already be looking twice before Crabs or even with Davis. I don't understand he wasn't targeted more in the play offs then he was but what ever. ..

I again I say go for it and go all in for Watkins. After his bowl game i was in love and would love him in sf and our offense. We have the spare picks to do it.
What would be the point in trading up for Watkins if you would let Kaepernick leave? As much as im pissed off with him, I know that he's not going anywhere. Do I think that he should get $20m a year? **** NO. Will he get that or close to it? Probably.

You do know that Watkins is a speed receiver right? He's only 6'1. He's not exactly 6'6. And three draft picks? According to the value chart, we would have to give up our first five draft picks in order to move into the top 5 and sorry, no player in this draft is worth that.

Trade up, get the best left side cover corner, get a SS and a center in the second round and use the last remaining third rounder on an OG to replace Iupati since I dont see the 49ers paying him especially if they end up paying Kaepernick.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

I woukd do trade up if Mike Evans or Watkins feel to ten or 11. So worth imo