Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 08-23-2013, 05:13 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mark Dominik: Success or fail?

Going into year 5, we've had a total of 3 losing seasons vs 1 winning seasons. 3-13, 10-6, 4-12, 7-9.

Now Dom had to clean up the mess left by Gruden/Allen era, however did he make a bit of a mess and ton of mistakes himself? Lets revieew:

2009:
- Re-signs mike clayton for 5 years 26 mil 10 mil guranteed (LOL)
- signed Derrick Ward to be long term deal.
- Offered Albert Haynseworth 100 Million (thankfully dodged that bullet)
- Signed Byron Leftwich
- Traded a 2nd round pick for a bum knee (aka Kellen Winslow) and handed him a large deal.

Draft:
1st round Pick: Josh Freeman
3rd: Roy Miller DT
4th: Kyle Moore DE
5th: Xavier Fuller T
7th: EJ BIGGERS CB
7th: Sammie Stroughter WR

Of this class, only Freeman remains with the team. Freeman has been a huge question mark. Miller developed into something solid and at worst is a good rotation NT. Yet, we didn't resign him for cheap?

The free agent class was a huge bust. Winslow was solid, but not spectacular and only lasted 3 years.

Grade: D. If Freeman falters again, F. F. F

2010:
- No big signings

Draft:
1st : McCoy DT
2nd: Price DT
2nd : Benn WR
3rd: Lewis CB
4th: Mike Williams WR
6th: Brent Bowden P LOL
7th: Cody Grimm S
7th: Dekota Watson LB
7th: Erik Lorig FB

In one of the most deepand talented classes in a long time, I'd have to say Dom failed on several picks and went need over BPA on instances.

McCoy is looking like a stud. Nice find in Mike Williams. Grimm and Watson are good depth/special team players and Lorig is a good FB. However, picking highly in rounds 2 and 3, well were huge flops considering who was on the board and how they developed. We had instances in round 2 to take both Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap. Golden Tate, Alterraun Verner, and even Greg Hardy in round 6. To date, it still irks me we took a dang punter over Hardy, who had sleeper written all over him. A scout got fired for the Brian Price pick.

Grade: C+

2011:
- Biggest signings: Resigning (overpaying) for Quincy Black and Davin Joseph. Overpaying for Michael Koenen>? PUNTER????

Draft:
1- Clayborn
2- Bowers
3- Foster
4- Stocker
5- Ahmad black
6- Allen Bradford
7- Anthony Gaitor
7- Greg hardy (TE)

Liked this class at first. Bowers was a boom or bust pick. Looking more like a bust. Stocker looks useless. Black is a ball hawk who is good for the 3rd Safety role. Solid depth. Same with Gaitor. Solid depth.

Hardy and Bradford didnt make the roster. Clayborn, if healthy, could be a stud. Non stop[ motor. Foster is very good as well, so 2 picks have good potential and are showing promise. The signings could have been better. Jonathon Joseph should have been in pursuit.

Overal Grade: C on offseason.

2012:
- Signings: Eric Wright BUST
Vincent Jackson: Best signing in a while
Carl Nicks: To be determined
Dallas Clark: Meh.

Draft:
1- Barron
1- Martin
2- David
5- Najeh Goode LB
6th: keith Tandy S/CB
7th: Michael Smith RB
7th: Drake Dunsmore

I'll say this: Martin and David look like All Pros and Barron showed a ton of promise rookie year. Loved the first 3 picks.

Good and Tandy look like good depth players. Goode looked prettyy good the past 2 preseasons could start at the SLB. Tandy can play both Safety and CB. Developing nicely. Smith has potential as a good KR. Dunsmore is no longer wth the team.

Jackson has been a stud at WR. Wright, well, his stupidity got us out of a bad bad bad signing. Nicks suffered an injury that will most likely affect him the rest of his career. Clark was a 1 year gig, so not too big of a deal.

Overall, I'd say: B+ to A-. Jackson, Barron, David, and Martin are excellent components.

2013:
- Signings: Dashon Goldson
Trade for Darrel Revis.

Draft:
2- Jonathon Banks CB
3- Mike Glennon QB
4- Akeem Spence DT
4- William Gholston DE
5- Steven Means DE
6- Mike James RB

Grade: TBD

Going to hold off judgement on 2013.

Overall, it seems a lot has been invested into the defense. High round picks on the dline. We've sucked in pass rush. Invested a lot of money in Goldson and Revis. But yet, we didn't try and improve the pass rush? Depth is still a question and you don't have a true answer at QB?

To me, Dom's seat is scorching.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love that everyone says Brain Price was a bust. The guy had both his hammy's ripped off the bone. A injury never seen in football before. That is not Price's or Dom's fault. That's just football. People get hurt, sometimes badly and are never the same again.

It's like saying that David Pollack was a bust for cinny, oh wait he broke his neck and could never play again.

Bust are players that can play but no one wants them cause they suck. Not guys who hurt themselves and are the never the same again.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:03 AM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.

Dominick has been good and bad, think his hands were tied as far as free agent signings the first 3 years, I put that on ownership. Passing on Hardy irks me to, so does passing on Mike Wallace in 2009, passing on Josh Norman who was a projected 2nd round pick for Goode in the fifth round and this year passing on Gilislee, Barner or Ellington for Steven Means.

When I look big picture I think Dominick is one of the better GMs we've had, but he's not without some boneheaded mistakes. This year is huge for him.
Dominick is tied to Freeman, It's playoffs or bust for them two.
kBuc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:57 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have to look at the overall make up with Dom. He's failed to build depth at the DLINE, LB, and interior oline. He has his two starters in Nicks and Joseph coming off serious injuries and did nothing to insure a back up plan. Carimi cannot play guard. He's been awful this TC and preseason.

Even though no one could have seen the Nicks injury coming, it would/can still go down as a bust signing and on Dom as another not panning out. Wright/Clayton/Ward/Black (solid player before the bad injury that ended his career, God bless him) will go down as terrible contracts. Even Michael Koenen, who was 20th in the leauge and makes 3.25 mm a year for a punter.

And then the bad drafting. Price (still goes down as a bad pick, regardless of injury), Benn, Lewis (LOL) Bowers (can't even beat out neosheim). Clayborn had a good Rookie year, last year I'll give a pass due to injury, but needs to develop. Still haven't brought in depth at the DE position.

We let Bennett and Roy Miller go, two guys who left for cheap contracts elsewhere. Bennett could have solidified the starting left end. Miller could have started while we developed Spence and worked him in easily. Now he's starting and coaching staff are putting a lot of stock into our rookies to contribute, even behind questionable starters. Banks has looked promising, but again, still a rookie.

Our two safeties, Barron is in the box and not a great coverage guy. Yet, he was taken in the top 10 in a passing league. Laughing at that one right now.

Goldson comes from a san fransisco 49er team that was stacked and dominate up front. Tampa? Not so much.

I don't know. There are just too many questions to say this is a playoff team.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:08 PM    (permalink
bigfreak314
Rookie

bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel that with most GMs they put their stamp on a team with by who they draft/sign at QB to lead their team. That being said the ups and downs with Freeman is like a microcosm for the tenure of Domnick. What befuddles me is the fact it seems as though the team/front office lacks a direction or maybe its an identity.
For instance during the 2010 offseason management said we were going to build the team through the draft and which is great but after the devasting injury to Price how do we let a player who we developed, Miller, just walk away for peanuts?
Same with Bennett, even though he was injured, I believe I read that he was not even offered a contract by the Bucs.
Players like these aren't superstars but part of moving into the upper echolen is creating depth and how can we create depth if we just keep bouncing player after player after player. What is worse although early in the season, Josh Freeman has yet to step up in fact he looks to be going more backwards than front, so he may walk as a free agent; the team reminds me of the Raiders when Gruden coached them with all the penalties, Schiano's calling card was supposed to be discipline; those two things worry me because if we get rid of our coach and QB that means yet another direction we are going to go in yet again.

Bottom Line: 4 years 0 playoff appearances with a team with a lot of talent and pro bowlers FAIL

I would like to add that all these problems and woes can be forgotten/overlooked by winning and making the playoffs for the 1st time since 2008.

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raheem Morris
Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.
bigfreak314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:19 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

The thing is, you bring up Bennett, Dom made it seem like he was damaged goods. What I saw from Bennett against the Niners tonight was spectacular. Dom found this guy as a UDFA. He developed into a great LDE. But he just let him walk. What a dumbass
Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah letting Bennett go was so bad. Or not signing Avrill. How on god's green earth did the Bucs say in meetings that going into the season with Clayborn ( coming off a blown out knee ) and Bowers ( Knee and torn Achilles ) as your starters.

Also Bowers has Bust all over him.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
bigfreak314
Rookie

bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
Yeah letting Bennett go was so bad. Or not signing Avrill. How on god's green earth did the Bucs say in meetings that going into the season with Clayborn ( coming off a blown out knee ) and Bowers ( Knee and torn Achilles ) as your starters.

Also Bowers has Bust all over him.
I am starting to see the light on him also, its been 3 years in the pro's and even though he has been hurt in each of the past previous his 3 seasons, I don't think he has had one multisack game. He is starting to look like Gaines Adams, RIP, where are the flashes?

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raheem Morris
Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.
bigfreak314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:52 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=bucfan12;3439319]Our two safeties, Barron is in the box and not a great coverage guy. Yet, he was taken in the top 10 in a passing league. Laughing at that one right now.

(/QUOTE]

We should've drafted Kuechly... where have I heard that before?
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:56 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dom didn't do poorly. The Bucs have/had talent because of him, they could've been much better though.

Last edited by brasho : 01-02-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:58 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
The thing is, you bring up Bennett, Dom made it seem like he was damaged goods. What I saw from Bennett against the Niners tonight was spectacular. Dom found this guy as a UDFA. He developed into a great LDE. But he just let him walk. What a dumbass
I blame Schiano for that one. Dom brought in Bennett (8 sacks), Blount, George Selvie (7.5 sacks), Chris Jones (5 sacks), and Wallace Gilberry (7 sacks) and Schiano decided that none of them were "Buccaneer Men". The truth is that Blount would have led us in rushing by a wide margin, and between Bennett and the other DLinemen, they would have had more sacks than all of our DL combined... and they were cut or gotten rid of by Schiano who had no use for them or their production.

Dom made a good amount of mistakes, particularly with free agency (Ward, Clayton, bringing in and paying WInslow, Wright) and the Revis thing was just plain stupid (a 1st and 3rd AND $16 mil a season!?). I liked Dom, I thought he had a good eye for talent, particularly with UDFA types, but he gave in to the little dummy's wishes and spent money unwisely.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:39 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
Dom didn't do poorly. The Bucs have/had talent because of him, they could've been much better though.

What talent did he draft between 09-11?

McCoy has finally erupted into that elite DT. Needs to progress and under Marinelli he will improve.

Mike Williams is a good #2. Mason foster solid MLB.

2012-2013: Dom overspent in FA. Only good player he got ROI is Jackson.
- drafting got better when stokes became Director of scouting.

Good to have ya back brasho. Btw who was right about freeman? And I don't wanna hear any bs schiano excuses either.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:05 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
What talent did he draft between 09-11?

McCoy has finally erupted into that elite DT. Needs to progress and under Marinelli he will improve.

Mike Williams is a good #2. Mason foster solid MLB.

2012-2013: Dom overspent in FA. Only good player he got ROI is Jackson.
- drafting got better when stokes became Director of scouting.

Good to have ya back brasho. Btw who was right about freeman? And I don't wanna hear any bs schiano excuses either.
You were, fine sir. But I also give Schiano a ton of credit on that one. Bringing in Sullivan to run NYG South was perhaps an even worse idea of having Sheridan do it.

I thought Dom was solid, especially later in the draft. I wanted Cam Jordan and he drafted Clayborn, obviously Kuechly over Barron, but his David, Martin, Williams, Watson, Spence, and even the Grimm and Stroughter picks were excellent.

But taking Brett Bowden when Greg Hardy was still on the board? Trading a 2 for KW2, giving Clayton and Ward big contracts, and finally overspending for Wright, blowing the bank on a freaking OG! It's bad enough to waste a 1st on an OG, but to spend that kind of cash on an OG is ridiculous.

I liked his eye for talent though in UDFA and street FA market.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
I blame Schiano for that one. Dom brought in Bennett (8 sacks), Blount, George Selvie (7.5 sacks), Chris Jones (5 sacks), and Wallace Gilberry (7 sacks) and Schiano decided that none of them were "Buccaneer Men". The truth is that Blount would have led us in rushing by a wide margin, and between Bennett and the other DLinemen, they would have had more sacks than all of our DL combined... and they were cut or gotten rid of by Schiano who had no use for them or their production.

Dom made a good amount of mistakes, particularly with free agency (Ward, Clayton, bringing in and paying WInslow, Wright) and the Revis thing was just plain stupid (a 1st and 3rd AND $16 mil a season!?). I liked Dom, I thought he had a good eye for talent, particularly with UDFA types, but he gave in to the little dummy's wishes and spent money unwisely.
I hate to bring this up late but Dom had full control and final say over the final 53 man roster. Schiano may have had input but Dom made the call. That holds responsibility there.